Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I was super tired yesterday but tried to mod the main menu screen and a city set anyways

Graphics mods, man. They're fun to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Have you occupied all their poo poo? I haven't played a really oppressive empire yet so I don't have experience with them in Stellaris, but independence wars in Paradox games generally have a ticking warscore as long as the rebels remain independent, even if you've blown up all their troops.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Woohoohoo, working on a Space Austria pack.

Space Austria presumably took over all of earth before conquering space, so there will be African and Asian portraits in there too.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

If that's an Austrian pack why do the men all have the Wilhelm II moustache?
Still reusing some assets atm- the project started off with the goal of updating and refining this mod. As it is, the base mod still references vanilla human hair, so there's Imperial German dudes with monocles but also man-buns. I've been going in and replacing all the vanilla hair with special old-timey hair for the German portraits.

The base mod also categorizes the Germans as a part of the 'Mammalian' species class, which, due to a current bug, means that only Imperial Germans show up as a selectable species in the mammlian class when trying to make a new civ. The workaround for that is to make a new species class and plop the Germans into that, so that they don't accidentally overwrite any other species in a vanilla species class.

Of course, the problem with that is that all alien species and realm names are drawn from a big list in the game files, with only certain names drawn for certain species classes and no generic alien names available in a class-less pool. That means that if you make a new species class and a species from that class shows up in-game, if it's not a custom-made empire created by a player it'll end up with no demonym and a weird name like " Star Republic" or "Imperial _ Realms" because there's no name the game can draw on for that class. So, then, I had to make a new list of species names.

The problem then is that species names also demand a reference to a namelist, and instead of just taking an Imperial German namelist available on the workshop already I ended up making a new one for the German species list. Then I got carried away and make a second, HRE-focused namelist. Then I said to myself "is all this work for just one species worth it? No, to justify all this, I need more portraits" so then I made an HRE portrait set.

Then I realized I probably shouldn't release a German pack that's largely based upon another guy's work, so I went "poo poo, I should make another German-ish set and then release the HRE and that new set together, along with the namelists and species names", so I started on the Austria-Hungary thing.

Now I'm contemplating a new Imperial German portrait set altogether.

tldr: It's that one scene from Malcolm in the Middle of the dad replacing a light bulb, except it's modding.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I did it, I finally finished working on the German portrait sets.

Now I'm free. Freeeee.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Wiz posted:

Maybe a post-apocalypse alternative to cockroaches? What would be the giant animal that's taken over though?
Polar bears.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Nice! Just modifying human portraits alone is daunting stuff, working on a new alien species altogether must be draining as hell. That end product's worth it, though.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Libluini, are your portraits overwrites of vanilla ones? I noticed that a few of them look like they're where dlc-bonus species are.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Working on graphic overhaul mods which don't match the point of the game are fun to do. Finally started experimenting with flag emblems today. Couldn't figure out gradients, so I just started making completely new sets of emblems instead of trying to sneak anything in.

It's too bad emblems can't just be recolored on their own using the in-game palette.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

GotLag posted:

I wish. I'm curious as to how it was decided to make all the emblems gold.
What's interesting is that the colors.txt file that defines what colors can be chosen in-game also defines what colors can be randomly mixed with other colors for a random country's flag design. And those entries list three colors.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I kinda liked stone age primitive mechanics, but only because I like playing as Space Americans and found the idea of establishing extraterrestrial reservations to be highly ironic.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Oh hey, heads up with the required items for the goon pack mod: The British and American namesets are packaged into their respective standalone portrait mods now, so you don't need the separate nameset mods if you got the standalones anyways.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

So I'm trying to work out some bugs in a mod and start up a fresh game to see if the most recent tweaks work and, welp

Pretty sure I managed to spawn on the exact same planet as some random-gen civ.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

3 DONG HORSE posted:

My advice to anyone considering federations: EMBRACE DARKNESS AND CONSUME ALL
My attitude when playing as an individualist democratic realm is that united we are stronger, and everybody is free to believe what they want within my republic anyways, so why should their little independent states not be annexed by me?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Regarding robot portraits, mechanized pops look like they have a specific trait. Clothes and facial hair that species normally wear use the same triggering system used in events, so hair and clothes can be made to check for if a species has a specific trait, like being roboticized.

It should be possible to make a mod where the graphics-switching part of the event uplifting a species into a robot body is disabled, leaving them with the same species graphic that they already have. From that, it's not hard (although it is tedious) to add in cyborg/robot-specific clothes that only appear if the species has the synth trait. The end result would be a species that still resembles the old organic species, but with, like, robo-beards and shiny cyborg clothes or whatever.

The one downside to that approach is that you could select all the robo-clothes for your ruler in the empire creation menu, but after that ruler dies they would never show up again until the species does the synth thing.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Darnit, is the mod overwriting bug still not fixed? :negative:

I still can't seem to add any of my custom species back into the Humanoid class without overwriting all other humanoid species. I can't add into any preexisting categories. Heck, I can't even made a single-line custom defines file to change a single line in the vanilla defines.lua file, I either have to import it all over or not even bother- and that's even with the 1.5.1 beta on.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

GotLag posted:

Make sure you're using defines.txt now. I have got mods working in the beta patch.
I tried that, but it doesn't seem to work. Literally all I have in [mod]/common/defines/defines.txt is
code:
NDefines.NGameplay.START_YEAR = 2000
and it don't work :(

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

GotLag posted:

txt files aren't Lua, they have a different syntax:
code:
	NGameplay = {
		START_YEAR = 2000
	}
Combine the delightful lack of documentation with the 1.5.0 mod bug and you get a fun couple of hours working all this poo poo out. Also fun: using trial and error to determine the rules governing file names used when re-implementing other txt files.
That did it, thank you! I was looking at other, older mods for Stellaris that changed the startdate and they were using .lua. Why was there a switch over to txt for defines? That explains why more recent comments in those startdate mods are all "it isn't working anymore :(" and such.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I just had democratic crusaders ask if they could straight-up become annexed by my empire:

Once I found their realm I could understand why, though.

don't mind the UI stuff i'm loving around with a mod

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Decrepus posted:

I don't think I have heard anyone say they aren't playing some variation of space hitler before.
I basically only play freedom-loving democracies. My current run is as the United Syndicates of America, full egalitarian plus xenophile, and mining guilds as a civic so I can pretend I'm space-John L. Lewis.

It's pretty great. At this point, I've gotten 3 systems just from rebels in neighboring authoritarian empires breaking away and straight-up asking to be annexed by me.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I forgot that only materialist empires can grant full citizenship to synths. How do I get a materialist faction to appear in an empire? Uh, asking for a friend.

e: Moments after that and a materialist faction finally spawned. What other ways are there to promote a faction's growth other than the actual 'promote faction' thing?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

GotLag posted:

Survey Corps appears to be the new reason why you should never agree to trade star charts.
Just play in an obscenely big galaxy, then there'll still be stars a-plenty to explore.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Hey, related to that, what's the usual starting size of an AI rebellion's fleet? My friend is really anxious to know.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Wiz posted:

We're trying to be a bit more thematic with the major update author picks, and I really don't know what kind of features would actually make sense there. Galactic highway planning?
He was also a big honkin' environmentalist, and produced the original Last Chance to See (the 2009 sequel with Stephen Fry is where :parrot: comes from) along with doing a ton of lectures and writing and climbing mountains and such. Something with xeno flora and fauna and such might play into that. A galactic Columbian exchange?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=956500180

A dude made ironclad spaceships and it is the tightest poo poo imo:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I've been modding my game further into the opposite direction of what aesthetic the devs are going for.

It's fun to approach the game as "Victoria, but in space". Helps me really get into the spirit of sneering imperialism.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Too bad prescripted Fallen Empires aren't a thing. :v:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

While you guys are waiting for the next patch to roll out, why not jump the gun and play some Victoria 3? It's got all the fun things you've always wanted in Vicky 3, like spaceships and anachronisms.

Seriously, the old-timey mod's finally done, come subscribe to it so my efforts weren't all in vain.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

You guys got me to try out alphamod with some of the submods and why is there both water and ice as separate resources?

e: is it because I'm trying this out with V3 still on or do all these seemingly important extra resources not show up in the handy bar of info up top, either?

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 31, 2017

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Relevant Tangent posted:

Tbf my genetically superior butterflies are going to have a hard time infiltrating the mammalian hivemind next door.
Reptilians infiltrating my human empire? It's an absurd thought.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

Let's please maybe not have another round of "creepily commenting on Wiz's eyes" chat.

But they're so dreamy!

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Between this, Dangan Ronpa 3 and Dishonored September is an expensive month
Don't forget Cuphead!

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

oh god i think the only way i can fully update all my portrait mods and make them work independently involves making a copy of the traits file, with entry names altered but localized the same as the base vanilla traits, for each portrait mod.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I finally started working on Victoria 3 overwrites for the Synthetic Dawn portraits:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Victoria 3 has been updated.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

quote:

- Traits are now restricted by moddable species archetypes rather than species classes, so new species classes need only be assigned the correct archetype instead of having to be added to every trait. Archetypes can be set to inherit the traits of other archetypes for easy creation of new archetypes with unique traits
Ohh yeah baby, that's the stuff.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I'm still waiting for the Sunless Skies tie-in pack where I can finally raise fleets of space-trains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

A function for gender-specific surnames was added in, and yet feminine nomen forms weren't added to the Roman namelist. I'm going to pre-emptively cancel all my Paradox preorders from here on out. :colbert:

• Locked thread