Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

StrixNebulosa posted:

Wait, wait wait wait. If 3k is considered tiny, early-game tier stuff, and that's what I have to work with....how far through this game am I? I've got five colonies and a sector, I've scouted roughly half of my galaxy...

For reference I've been playing Civ V/Endless Legend on standard lengths. Have I even left the early game? :psyduck:
Early mid-game I think, end game doomstacks might have around 150k fleet power. These paradox games are usually not played to 'win' or finish the game. Once you can stomp everything (except bullshit Ascended Empires doomstacks), even crisis, you can just start a new game (or continue to take 8 to 9 planets every few years forever).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

ulmont posted:

EDIT: nevermind, it unlocked eventually. Now to replace all slaves with robots.
Gods, I did that achievement with robots and it took sooo long. I don't know why are synth pops so slow to build, but at 73% synth empire, I just thought 'gently caress it' and purged a planet full of organics.

Edit: but maybe I should play game at faster game speeds than normal

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 21, 2017

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I realized there are army attachments only recently and I still don't use them. You can just spam assault armies.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Replacing specialized armies and transport ships with ship modules would do (as was suggested plenty of times already). If your planet has clone vats (for example), you can produce ships with clone armies at the starport and you could tick that option in starport menu to add clone army module to ships, otherwise you use some more generic armies (xenomorph farms at the planet surface could even guarantee some nice events). You could sacrifice firepower for more army modules in ship designer, for example.
Your ship-based armies would invade after you destroy planet defenses or you can just invade the planet if you have overabundance of armies (same like CK2: siege or assault). That's my dream ground combat. Defense "armies" could be based on colony size and some buildings.

Transport ships models could be used for civilian ships and then... some form of supply limit should be implemented. Lack of these things bother me more than current ground combat. (also more diplomacy options)

(and please implement some form of raiding... and zoroastrians... maybe I should play CK2)

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 21, 2017

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Blinks77 posted:

I mayyy have screwed it up? I simply ignored them, didn't sign up to anything and then just annexed them both one after the other.
"Lead the non-aligned powers to victory against an awakened empire." I hope you have a save from before the war somewhere.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Truga posted:

Well, the thing in stellaris kinda works like that. Blocked tiles are blocked until researched and removed, and then their resources can be exploited better and the land populated more efficiently.

The odd thing about stellaris is, the underlying bonuses are entirely random. A glacier will have any bonus, or no bonus at all underneath. Likewise, a desert planet has exactly the same bonuses as an ocean planet, as long as you can inhabit it.
At least random bonuses are kinda balanced, I am not sure how would it work if certain planet types/tile blockers would guarantee more energy/minerals/food than the other.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Deceitful Penguin posted:

why are there so many goddamn pirates? how could this happen when the lead ideas guy literally made a mod making fun of too many pirates?? why does the level setup not stop you from getting boxed in by them? Getting a 1K stack is gonna take forever
Spaceborne aliens tend to be clustered. You probably started in an area with pirates. There are areas with higher density of mining drones, crystalline entities etc.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

GlyphGryph posted:

My species will be delicous livestock, seeking out alien species to serve them :V

Give us a trait that lets our pops be happy if others eat them, or at least alright with it!
Space tapeworms.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I just want to find primitives I share preferred climates with, invade them then kill them all so their penalty doesn't matter. :(
Everyone else will hate you anyway.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

GunnerJ posted:

Is it intended that you only get one shot at the enigmatic fortress event? Like it will re-arm and then not create the research projects a second time.
I don't think so. I think there is only one option ending in total failure.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Libluini posted:

The style reminds me a bit of this weird playable AI-shipset mod. Someone made an entire group of robot races, including a shipset. With the exception of the missing neon-colors, this looks a lot like a better version. So maybe playable AI?
Yes, please.

Although I am surprised that stations and such in Stellaris are not more spherical or toroid. But maybe they have some magical artificial gravity.

Also... as an immoral xenophobic Empire, I want to be able to use biological weapons that auto-purge galaxy.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jan 30, 2017

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I'd have to terraform it away from my preferred world class though, which would be irritating.

I'm pretty sure I'm completely loving stymied here; I can't colonize the blocked tiles for some reason (I have unlocked removing all of them) and I don't know any way without the console to kill one of them. (I don't think they count as a real pop and so I don't think I can invade them; I'm pacifist anyway so I'm not allowed to I think...)

I can't build an observation post on them either so the planet just sits there, taunting me. I just wanted to make a buncha territorial bears for the hell of it.
Uplift them through contacts menu?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Ok, it seems that since 1.4 patch you first have to colonize the planet to uplift them, I didn't know about that change. I guess you are out of options, you cannot enlighten them, because they are pre-sentient and you cannot invade them, because you are pacifist. Maybe wait for gaia world terraforming tech, but that is costly and takes a loooong time.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Does Gaia not kill them like the others?
I think it kills them.

Reveilled posted:

Once you've allowed magical FTL engines into your setting, magical artificial gravity doesn't seem like it's worth quibbling over.
Eh, FTL-engines have some in-game explanations. Maybe add pre-researched tech called velcro shoe soles, because moving around with chemical thrusters and meanwhile employing artificial gravity on your ships seems strange.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

The Cheshire Cat posted:

so many different species variations in your empire that every single pop is effectively its own species.
Sounds like individualist Ascension goal. Or xenophilic.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

PittTheElder posted:

When you're playing multiplayer, is the Infinite Machine reward limited to whoever can complete the quest first (or destroy it I guess?)? Just wondering if racing to find and interact with it is worth it.
I think it is and especially at the beginning of the game. It is one guardian that might give you some interesting rewards before you have 20k fleet and everything researched.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Sky Shadowing posted:

I hope, if we do decide to go Maximum Robot and discard these paltry meat bodies, that when we do so we have some differentiation from regular synthetics. Regular names and such, to reflect we're a species with a history, not some mass-produced AIs.
[WEED]xx360NoScope420YOLOxx

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

ChickenWing posted:

train of thought from here - how good is the auto-upgrader at making useful ships? Is it one of those things that is helpful in the beginning but becomes useless once you start getting more options, is it consistently good, or irredeemably bad?
I would say that the opposite is true. With few techs available it might come up with some horrible solutions (I saw it use short-range anti-shield weapons although I was going to fight an empire with no shields). Later as you you're snowballing and creating a doomstack, it doesn't matter that much, because you're going to melt everything except FE/AE, crisis ships or leviathans, but you will be more effective if you design your ships.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 3, 2017

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Some future patch should allow sectors to terraform planets, they tend to sit on big energy (or is it money?) reserves anyway. And maybe make them more willing to colonize planets.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Feb 4, 2017

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Coolguye posted:

doesn't literally everyone get a -80 genocidal malus if you butcher an entire race
Isn't it more? I had around -2500 malus after cleansing several planets (repeatedly).

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

nopantsjack posted:

So if Egalitarian is replacing Collectivist do they love slaves? Or is Egalitarian replacing Individualist or whatever?
It's the latter. Collectivist will be replaced by authoritarian.

Edit: too late

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

6th option should be "create crop circles", because that's what aliens supposedly enjoy

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

TRAPPIST-1 (that one from Google Doodle) system in Stellaris

Edit:
New diplomacy window background, ooh.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I hope utopic living standars in Stellaris will mean non-GMO gluten-free pumpkin decaffeinated raw lattes.

And then add a tomb world anomaly where species starved to death while obsessing about diets.

Edit: I knew I forgot something.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 4, 2017

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Wiz, notice me senpai, are buildable superstructures also destructible? Destroying Dyson sphere around the star restores frozen planets?
I guess I will find out in April anyway.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

skooma512 posted:

I played 8 hours straight after getting it on sale today.

My galaxy was full of nothing but rear end in a top hat imperialist and xenophobe races who don't want to hang out and chill with me in a Federation.

Despite this, for 8 hours I've yet to have a single declaration of war.
It might also depend on their AI personality, there is for example a bravery multplier that affects the chance that they will pick rivals & war targets of similar strength instead of picking on the weak. There is opportunist trait that will make them prefer to attack someone already embroiled at war. And so on...

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Second image reminds me of Limit Theory (I wonder what happened to that game).

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

New dev diary about music
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-65-music-from-utopia.1005704/

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Dongattack posted:

I'm still trying to find my footing in this game and i have two questions:

1: Can i take a conquered race as slaves to be used on my planets? If so, how?
2: Can i genocide an entire race, if so how?

Sorry for these depressing questions, i'm hosed up :sludgepal:
If you have ethos that allows it, you can just click on the pop and there should be an option to enslave this pop or all pops of the same species on the planet. Or you have to set it in policies window at first. If you want to move them to one of your planets, you must have correct ethos for forced relocation and you can again click on the pop and relocate them.
Same for genocide, click on pop and you should have an option to genocide them all.
But you have to do it for every planet with that species.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

This reminds me that Sins had actually useful space stations that could even travel around the gravity well (1 faction only though) and minefields :saddowns:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

GotLag posted:

Unique Systems Spawn 100%

All the special systems/content spawns every game - this includes guardians (drake. horror, fortress, etc), all the enclaves, and some other unique systems such as Sanctuary (abandoned ringworld with a bunch of primitives on it and an active and very hostile defense system).

Note that if you don't have Leviathans DLC they won't show up.
Heh, I'd like to see it on a tiny map.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Why are people still yammering on about nothing when there is a new dev diary to read? Guess as we get closer to the release of the expansion they're running out of things to talk about but I'm sure at least one of you will be happy.
Oh yes, ship colors and primitve civs icons

Going through the list of pre-FTL species was SO frustrating.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 23, 2017

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I never quite understood why ship colours were something people were clamoring for so much... most of the game world is so dark that you probably won't be able to tell some of the colours apart and I find the different coloures trails to be rather ugly. I'm all for more detailed models but unless you plan on having people zoomed all the way in it just seems like a wasted effort.

Glad they are slowly introducing more ways for people to sort the map though.
Eh, I will probably forget about it after 10 minutes of playing, but it will matter to me while creating my empire, I just want to customize stuff.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Dog Kisser posted:

That's six now, probably the last robot, unless I get another idea!
Gorgeous. I really like your creations.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Libluini posted:

Thinking about it, and getting surprised by my company paying me two weeks earlier then anticipated I think I'll get Utopia as soon as it comes out. Luckily I took a couple days free close to Easter, so I can spend some time making new empires and maybe finally finish the spider-portrait I've been working on. (I just wish artists wouldn't just do either bad evil spiders or black widows. There are other types of spiders out there, guys!)
I hope you're talking about those cute jumping spiders.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Now I can spend ridiculous amount of time creating a new Empire.

Also, empires I created before are lacking an ethos due to 1.5 changes, eh.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Crazycryodude posted:

So maybe I just got really lucky with the Infinity Machine giving me Sentient AI early on, but it seems like you can tear through the research tree now. My fanatic materialist space parrots with the Technological Ascendancy perk are at like +70% research speed. It's only 30 years in and I'm drawing tier 4 cards (antimatter power, synths, etc.)
I think Sentient AI is one of those worse outcomes of the event chain.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 6, 2017

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Hommando posted:

I haven't played this game in a while. Is corvette evade spam still the meta?
I don't think so.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Ability to build habitats seem to be accessible too late to be useful when you're boxed between other empires with only few planets.

HiKaizer posted:

I have just discovered a second Dathnak planet in my current Ironman game. Apparently gas giant life is not so uncommon as we thought!
I used to find like 4 or 5 Dathnaks in my games, I think it should be rarer (or I shouldn't play in a mostly empty galaxy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

TorakFade posted:

So I got utopia, still haven't played but going to start a game soon. I see many things have changed and I guess all choices are somewhat viable (ethos, traits etc) but are there any obvious traps to avoid? Haven't played since 1.2 and there weren't even all those planet types back then..
Machinist civic seems to be kinda useless, for example. You get few robots at the start and... that's it. You just replaced some of your more productive organic pops with poo poo tier robots and there is no long-term bonus or anything.

• Locked thread