Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Aethernet posted:

Just watched the new stream. Does global food come with any new buildings to boost planetary food output, aside from the slave processing facility?

I hope so. It'd be more fun to have some farm planets and concentrate for efficiency. Also more fun to steal from the enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
As far as eating pops go, don't forget numbers aren't final. Seems pretty powerful now, but I wouldn't be surprised if it got nerfed a bit or required a 'carnivore' trait or something.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Super psyched for Utopia.

RabidWeasel posted:

Between Utopia and the awesome as-yet unnamed EU4 DLC it's a good time to be a Paradox fan (unless you don't like being mercilessly teased by fun stuff you can't have yet)

Yeah, it's pretty great. Kinda wondering if they're even going to announce a new game this year or if it's all going to be DLC and we won't see V2/Rome 2/Diplomacy 2 until late 2018.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

My dream is that one day Paradox will release a vaguely VR related game. Let me be a roman legionary and participate in the testudo formation, or let me sword fight with some German barbarians. It would be an incredible update to that timeless classic, Rome 1!

I always pictured a Paradox VR game as looking like the XCOM command center:

Except themed by era of the game instead of all high tech. When you defeat countries their tattered banners get hung on the walls around you, etc etc.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Dude have I got some great news for you

:xd:

Now I want EUIV 2.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

BigPaddy posted:

Picked this up again last night and forgot about the whole Colony Ship will only be offered once thing... great. new stuff looks cool but do we think it will address the game getting dull in the mid to late game?

With the upcoming expansion you just start with colony tech.

Can't wait.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
* Planet of aliens is enslaved by baddies *
* I liberate the planet from the baddies and free the slaves *

- 30% happiness WAS ENSLAVED
- 25% happiness WAS CONQUERED

:mad:

Wiz!

:mad:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'm sort of wondering if the restriction on hive mind pops living with non-hive mind pops is more of a technical thing. Like they're able to turn off/on hive mind features on a per-planet basis in the code, but not a per-pop basis or some other quirky technical limitation.

Like it just seems weird that apparently hive mind pops of one species can coexist on the same planet as hive mind pops of another, or that my humans have to exterminate the hive mind pops on a planet if they want to move a pop or two onto it.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Wait, if hive minds can't do synthetic evolution and cyber stuff, we can't make the Borg. Probably the most famous hive mind in sci-fi.

Paradox, pls fix.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Wiz posted:

I've changed it so that slaves and pops being purged don't get conquest happiness penalties in 1.5.

My ex-slaves thank you.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Wiz posted:

Just chiming in to say I absolutely appreciate the praise you guys are heaping on me, but not to forget the rest of the Stellaris team. A game is not a one-man endeavour, and the reason I've been able to do so many of the things I wanted to do for Utopia/Banks is because I have a really good team full of creative people who make a lot of 'on the ground' decisions. For example, LordMune, who posts in this very thread, is basically the reason why our content design runs as smoothly as it does (and that's not even mentioning the actual content he's made for the game). I know I'm the visible face of Stellaris, but the team deserve their part of the credit too.

Need to find that quote from some gaming website that said something like:

quote:

"It's ridiculous to give so much credit to one individual when game creation is so much of a team effort," said Warren Spector, the creator of System Shock and Deus Ex."

:ughh:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Wiz posted:

I am not the sole creative force working on Stellaris.

Thank god. If you were I'd have to wait to play Utopia EVEN LONGER THEN I ALREADY DO. :mad:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

jng2058 posted:

You know the only problem is that every time I poke my head in here it's always about how cool the NEXT update is going to be.....which pretty much kills my desire to play the game right NOW. :sigh:

This is how I've been with EUIV for ages.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Seems fair.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Kitchner posted:

Out of interest, is there any real difference culturally between teams at paradox?

Like I mean do the CKII team tend to be massive history buffs? Do they often end up being the most keen on doing nasty things to other players? Are the Stellaris guys the super Sci fi ones?

Or is everyone really just what you'd expect from a games company. Huge nerds.

If design leads are anything to go by, people get shifted around a lot between projects.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Darth Windu posted:

How do I stop slaves from breeding, thought that was a thing

I think that's a thing in the next dlc.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Should be an option in the game now under slavery policies. I know I've used it before and don't run any mods.

Seeing as how I'm too much of a goody-two-shoes to ever actually have HAD a slave in Stellaris, I should clearly leave advice on them to others. :v:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Another vote for a robo-art pack. Especially if you get to pick your robo-design when you first build robots.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

ChickenWing posted:

I failed the Enigmatic Fortress once, killed it again, and the followup didn't trigger.

Me too. :smith:

So much build up. So much let down.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

PittTheElder posted:

I think I see the problem.

Just run the game at a regular speed and let it run, rather than pausing every two seconds.

:lol: if you ever run on any speed other than max at all times in all paradox games. That's some crazy poo poo.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Wiz posted:

We're in the final stretch, so a combination of being busy and there not being all that much more to reveal.

:cracks whip: BACK IN THE PIT!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

GotLag posted:

I've been enjoying the game a lot more since I got a couple of mods that remove the early-game grind:
Actually expand - Tweaked so that frontier stations use 0.5 influence/month instead of 0

You know, I feel like it would be nice if there was a way to 'graduate' a frontier station so it no longer uses influence, or reduces influence consumed. Like you can upgrade it into a heavy military/science/diplomatic station that eats energy/minerals but provides border push.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Skippy McPants posted:

The guardians alone make it worth the price. They give you some solid mid-game objects, the rewards they give are often amazing, and they look super cool.

When they don't get bugged out. :smith:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

MadJackal posted:

Agreed. There should be some kind of penalty for having a sprawling empire that takes up 20% of the galaxy and the nearest fleet from your frontier planets is years away.

It might be interesting to involve this with sector management in some way. Like fleet strength in a sector reduces a 'piracy' penalty to your economy. Or a sector calculates it's 'security desire' based off what it borders. An internal sector not near any aliens might have negligible security desire, a sector bordering the fanatic purifier hivemind empire next door might need a decent fleet strength to keep the pops happy.

EDIT: Might be interesting with an eventual sector rework if every star you owned had to belong to a sector, so the mechanics applied everywhere, and you were only able to directly play with the tiles in your Core sector, the size of which varries by the current mechanic.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Mister Adequate posted:

Civ VI is pretty good in my opinion. Way fuckin better than V or BE at launch, and better than BE ever got.

Better than V at launch is a pretty low bar. :lol:

EDIT: I don't hate VI or anything... I just... meh. Put 21 hours in and don't have any great desire to boot it up again without some sort of major expansion. Makes me a little sad, because I've literally been playing the series since Civ 1 in the 90s... maybe I'm just burned out on the formula.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

spectralent posted:

Like, there's a lot of places to pick but I would've assumed everyone's played France or the Ottomans.

Every now and then it occurs to me that I've never played an Austria game. Not just in EUIV, in any EU game, and I've been playing since EU1 in 2001.

Somehow it seems almost like cheating or something. But I've played Ottomans, so I dunno.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

VirtualStranger posted:

The planet surface texture is a work in progress.

It might look weird, but the nightside should probably be fully lit. Right now you've got giant Australia sized swathes of mega-city where nobody has their lights on. :lol:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Fanatic pacifist egalitarian can really stack the unity.

+40% from ethics
+15% from beacon of liberty
+1 unity on farms from idyllic farmers

Take the tree that reduces the unity penalty from colonies, grab another +10% from your first pick.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'm enjoying it, but I still feel like it has the same central issue of motivation in the mid-game. Once I've got myself up and with a functional economy.... I run out of reasons to keep playing unless I make them up for roleplay reasons. Conquering isn't much fun and adding more alien planets seems like a drag:

1.) Gotta sector most of them
2.) Tanks unity progress
3.) Already bouncing off resource caps, so I don't need more energy or whatever

I know Wiz doesn't like the idea, but I still feel like the game could use some explicit victory conditions to work towards, even if they're single player only. Like, when I turn on the TRANSCEND MACHINE all my neighbors come gunning for me, so I'd better be in a strong position. The historical progress and end date give other Paradox games some 'shape', but Stellaris still ends up feeling like a bit of a formless sandbox where the only way to 'win' is conquer the map. :smith:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Baron Porkface posted:

What is the private colony ship tradition supposed to sccomplish?

I guess you grab it ASAP for half-price colony ships? Seems more like a bonus if you want that tree first.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

BenRGamer posted:

Totally was for autocratic governments, rulers could build one super item, different per different type of autocratic government. I'm shocked none of them were moved to civics.

I don't think they're in anymore, I saw a mod for it, though.

I think they are. I was able to build 'one elite army per ruler' in my current game. No idea what ethic/civic triggered it though.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Decrepus posted:

I don't think I have heard anyone say they aren't playing some variation of space hitler before.

:lol: I can't even bring my self to run slavery. 67 hours in the game, never purged a pop.

It just... feels.... wrong.

EDIT: Worst thing I've done was start a game with syncretic evolution, flip the prole race to 'livestock' to see if that worked right out the gate, and then flipped them back without unpausing the game before quitting the game. :lol:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

OwlFancier posted:

They actually have hive mind appropriate dialogue for it too, I don't get why the option exists if they all die off afterwards? I assumed there would be some specific case for if you integrate a hive mind wholesale.

I wonder if they added the die off later in development. It feels like a bandaid.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Milky Moor posted:

But are there any system left to get anomalies from by the time you can get that rolling?

It's sort of my peeve with Stellaris at the moment. By the time you can get to the super cool stuff - Curator ship mods, megastructures, etc - it doesn't feel like you can get much use out of them. The galaxy has been surveyed, borders have been drawn up, and Federations signed.

I feel like habitats should come earlier, and maybe the sensor and science stations, too. Even if they start poorly and you have to upgrade them with techs or projects.

It feels like they are Civ 5 Wonders, but you only get them late game and they're things you build to swing your dick around, as opposed to getting any benefit from them.

I sort of feel like habitats should come pretty early, but be like size 4 and then there are upgrade techs that expand their size by 4 a level or whatever.

I guess you could even fake this with special tile blockers that looked like outer space.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Sounds like the next diary is going to be about robots based on Wiz's hint. I'm not familiar with much of Capek's work though, beyond him often being credited as the guy who started calling robots 'robots'.

Although maybe they could be introducing anti-Communist elements to the game as well?

Yeah, probably the late game crisis and maybe the robot variety species pack?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I let the nomads settle a dry world in my empire and they formed a Fanatic Purifier empire that has 6000 fleet strength and immediately closed borders.

I've got like ~1000 strength.

:negative:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, Mastery of Nature is absolutely the best first Ascension Perk. Nothing else even comes close.

It's so good I'm anxious it'll get nerfed.

I'd rather they boosted the other perks though. MoN is just plain fun.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

poverty goat posted:

in retrospect the galaxy was great all along

Hawking Believes The Higgs Field Could Wipe Out The Universe

Inshallah

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I kind of think it might be a little too easy to 'switch off' ethos as needed.

Started as pacifist/materialist/egalitarians, pumped out tons of unity, grabbed a bunch of trees and then promoted a science party to instantly be fanatic materialist/egalitarians, swapped out agrarian idyl and had instant access to unrestricted war etc.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I think it's cool. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I know the simple defense is to state that I clearly just don't understand how video game gets made, but Stellaris isn't really getting better or deeper, it's just getting more. And if you're happy with that then bully for you, but I'm finding it disappointing. The experience is still really shallow well past launch and I think that's unfortunate.

I think it's definitely improved quite a bit since launch.

The game still starts to feel aimless once the early game ends, because there are no structured goals and no real world history to form a contextual framework, but it's definitely more interesting then launch.

I also find a 600 star galaxy gets frustratingly slow mid game. I've got a five(?) year old i5 2.7mhz processor though, so maybe that's getting a little long in the tooth?

• Locked thread