Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

It has always been a bit of a curiosity for me that there doesn't really seem to be any consequences for ravaging your way across the galaxy since there aren't really any major economic effects or even significant diplomatic effects (outside of fallen empires early to mid game) that would discourage you. Other empires don't really give a fig what you tend to do with the conquered remnants of another empire aside from, "be unhappy" or "maybe send insults" even if they were former allies of said empire. It tends to garner a map painting simulator sort of feel in a vanilla EU IV kind of way. Really looking forward to Banks, but also suffering from the not wanting to play until the patch comes out syndrome.

As an aside, I used several of the trading mods off of the workshop from time to time and the extra civilian traffic definitely brings the galaxy to life, especially the silly billboards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

ulmont posted:

Fanatic Purifier AIs should really have something like the crisis mechanics in place (other than for Fallen Empires, probably) giving permanent hostility etc. etc.

Yeah, I think extreme dispositions should definitely merit lots of opposition as opposed to Pacifistic forms of government. The diplomacy in Stellaris as it currently is is a tad too simplistic to really do power dynamics like CK2, but perhaps that isn't part of the game design. I can live with it, because space battles are cool and superweapons soon.. one day..

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Stellaris: Weapons of Mass Colonisation

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE posted:

So, Wiz, will Paradox ever release the pre-order species portraits as a paid DLC, or must I adapt to a cold, hollow future without space spiders?

I'd love to see even more flowery portraits, just petals everywhere. Strong, independent cellular walls that don't need no meat.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Be it terrestrial or cosmic, birds are all jerks.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I think if you look in the previous thread (you don't have to), you'll find that PittTheElder decided to play a singular species genocidal run and it took them a month or so to finish it by painting the entire galaxy. Not sure on total duration, they could tell you more!

Personally, I finish most of my games at around 90~120k fleet power depending on size.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

ulmont posted:

Can't you just blockade your way to victory without ever occupying?

Blockading can be pretty tedious and time spent at war, if you're not a war-focused nation, can negatively affect your pacifist and xenophile pops right now. As well, since the game is currently geared towards deathblobs, you can't really spread yourself too thin or risk the AI being able to break the blockade if their empire is large enough.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Absolutely. Having to manually attach all of the army mods gets tiring.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Espionage and sabotage are something Stellaris is definitely missing.

I guess you can support the independence of vassals and the like, but it really isn't the same.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I tend to put 2~5 defensive armies in a peaceful game at a rate depending on planetary importance. As for fleets, I think you're fine if you've a home fleet and maybe one fleet meant to fight off pirates and anomalies/events. Should be at least three-fourths as large as the closest aggressive empire's.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Three different personalities for the Ottoman Empire.

lol

Harsh.

Libluini posted:

Sailing ships in space would still be space ships!

A space game without space ships would be a 4x where you travel around using gates and moving stuff through said gates. This is actually a neat idea: Start with some kind of machine capable of opening rifts, rends or whatever in space, allowing you to send ground troops and other poo poo straight-up from planet to planet. Go from there, see where it ends.

Space Gallipoli.

Not that that's bad, mind you. It's just where it would end.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Sabotage, espionage, and assassinations would definitely add much to the current stale state of diplomacy.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

The auto complete is definitely not the most optimal combination, but focuses on general versatility it feels like. I do have a predilection towards building everything for myself including variants, so I suppose I don't find it as frustrating as you do. It would be nice to just have a one-click category such as, "most damaging energy" "bypasses most defence" and the like, but it might also add needless buttons at the same time that clog up the UI.

If battleships upset you, definitely don't try to count missiles when they're fired against PD, not that you should be using missiles anymore.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This is true, and not something I agree with. If I want to glass a planet with soldiers on it that should be an option.

Tomb worlds, made to order.

The ability to devastate entire worlds with super weapons and planetary bombardment is the best part of space warfare.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

AI rebellion seems to be the most rare one. I've never had an AI empire trigger it, so eventually I had to do it myself.

Of course, being absolutely ready for it beforehand certainly helped it not be as strong as it could have been.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

The ability to weaponise said volcanoes as planetary defence batteries when adjacent to a planetary shield generator would also be much appreciated.

..and provide a reason to build shield generators!

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Someone please think of the shield generators.

Though dividing the uses of terrain features between ideologies would be pretty great.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Enjoy posted:

There was a XCOM clone called UFO: Afterlight where you had to build terraforming stations on Mars and its craters gradually turned into lakes and the land masses went from red to green, that was cool to watch

I actually played that one, the entire game strangely felt like it was made of clay even in its day.

Very excited for even more terraforming. Especially with regards to the Sol system. Being able to terraform planets with primitives on them and watch them die horribly would also be something fun to do to on a lark if that ever becomes possible.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Anticheese posted:

Mountain ranges become islands with some flavour of bonus.

I've always thought it would be neat if you could make a vacation-style planet like Risa from Star Trek that would increase the happiness in your empire as a whole. Though I guess monuments and stuff sort of simulate it in the same way so it isn't really necessary.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

A robotic empire can't be unhappy!

Edit: Now I actually want to try a robot empire.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Well you're in luck! Soon you can (though I guess if you try hard enough you can also do that now, too).

But Synths do have happiness and ethics, unlike their robot and droid predecessors.

That's why I specifically said robots! Droids are all right, but synths are inferior with their emotions and stuff!

Star Trek taught us this lesson with Data and Lore's ballet.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

CrazyTolradi posted:

I think it's more just that Lore was batshit insane. Data got emotions in the TNG movies and seemed to handle it better.

To be fair, Data was also somewhat insane with the emotion chip at times.

Poil posted:

I'm really missing culture in the game. Does the species enjoy art, music or literature? Do they have a fascination with theater? Do they have a knack for opera? Does this repugnant species love to play recorders, and are totally tone deaf on top of it?

My species tends to enjoy galactic conquest and genocide.

Though setting primitives up as a safari sport for hunting tourism would fit quite well with Ofaloaf's portrait mod(s).

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Being a crumbling, decadent power has its charm. Like CK2, except you don't get assassinated.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Megastructures would be very welcome if that is indeed the case. Alternatively, a series of circular space colonies linked together by spunnels in the shape of a Spathi Eluder.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

You could purify them.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I don't see why it should be negative. People will eat you and take your power into themselves, therefore ensuring that you will live on forever.

I'm largely interested in if you can turn orbitals into a source of food for your entire empire at some point. You could quarantine all of your livestock there around a black hole or a worthless system and export it whenever it is possible to have shared food across your demesne.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Been sick the last couple of days, so I haven't kept up with the thread as closely.

Espionage/sabotage/assassinations would go a very long way in making the diplomatic game far less stale. For example, assassinating leaders of certain government types would be more effective in certain cases, whereas culturally co-opting other societies could work in other cases. As it stands, the only real use of the diplomacy panel at the moment is to decide whether or not you wish to crush another empire at that particular point in time. Perhaps if interstellar trade were a thing as well.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

GunnerJ posted:

Honestly, the big boys (crises and AEs/FEs) are what I had in mind as the use case for specializing fleets. Otherwise yeah you can get pretty far with a decent mix of energy/kinetics.

Plasma and GIGA CANNONS are all anyone needs for a generalised fleet composition at the moment.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Dangling friendship in front of a Blorg would be more apt.

Still, we're all starved. Hopefully we'll have a bonepit comm screen.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

That would be too crafty.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

I don't think I have ever formed a single alliance with an AI, ever. Federations are also comically limiting, so avoid that nonsense.

This 300%. The furthest I ever go with any diplomatic relations with the AI are NAPs. AI empires are generally an anchor around your neck when it comes to getting anything done.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

You should have a large enough energy reserve at +80/mo and as you stated at cap during peacetime, that it would allow you to break from your federation (achieving a ten year truce with them as well), giving you the opportunity to start scooping up all of the smaller empires around you in small yearly wars unless the awakened FE is too close for comfort, then you're likely at their mercy if your fleet can't actually fight them. Since energy has a rather low cap in comparison to minerals, you should always consider it to be an expendable surplus past an arbitrary amount for prosecuting wars to acquire more of it to maintain progressively larger fleets. Alternatively, if your federation has been useful, maybe it can fight the awakened empire, but will you be unable to prosecute a defensive war with significant numbers because of the alliance contribution?

Torrannor posted:

Can I build multiple empire capitals by abusing the "make capital" function? And if not, will buildings that need to be on the capital stop working if their planet lose the capital status?

No, you cannot. The building is empire-wide unique. I'm not sure about the second part, but I think they'd still function.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Personally, I'm still waiting for the inevitable superweapons expansion. My dream is to one day loot all of the atmosphere from a planet with a massive orbital vacuum.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Prosperity does look like quite a good generalist tree for almost any empire on its face from these two alone.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I did notice that and I think that it's a good thing. It cuts down on a lot of planetary tile micromanagement a little bit. While I like managing planets and building, tile management was something that I never really enjoyed. The less overt management of happiness on a micro scale, the happier I am as a player.

Traditions definitely allow for you to play a far more unique empire than previously, which will probably lead to even more interesting multiplayer games, if that's your cup of tea. It's certainly mine. You'll also be able to play multiple games with the same ethics that you're comfortable with, yet pick different traditions and it will keep that imperial template fresh for a while to come.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Back Hack posted:

Man, I want to play Stellaris, but I don't want play it knowing there is a new update coming. Something about that kind of bothers me for some strange reason.

I'm in the same boat. It's the anticipation that is preventing me from starting a new game. Lately, I've just been revisiting Stardew Valley and HOI4 to kill time.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

That's always an elegant solution. If the galaxy hates you, just remove the galaxy and you're suddenly popular again.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I actually like how the military junta style of government works, but this is also very attractive.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

AI rebellion is probably my least favourite crisis in that regard. It creates too much micromanagement and not really all that much crisis outside of dialogue panels.

It would be funny if they took over your fleets in a percentile dice roll on rebellion. Just started a civil war brawl within your deathblob that would leave you appropriately horrified.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

This is definitely one way to alleviate peace fatigue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I never thought that Stellaris would be a game where you create your own utility monsters.

Anticheese posted:

CK2 players: did you know that possessed characters can eat unconscious people at parties? There's more than one way to become a cannibal! :eng101:

That's messed up. I'm going to try that right now.

• Locked thread