Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I just bought this game on sale, is there a decent guide to not sucking at it?

Lum_ posted:

National Emblem Pack - By Swiss Knight, now you can have all your drat hammers, sickles, and other national symbols.

He should add a swastika, but one of of those retarded graffiti ones with one of the arms pointing in the wrong direction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I haven't even played a game yet and I've already made a lovely mod: Homeworld emblem pack.

Gotta have me my Hiigarans.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Why are flag emblems gold, and not user-colourable? This is confusing and angering me.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Poil posted:

Only the plumpest and loneliest of neckbeards for the caldera!

All gifts are accepted by Aranaktu

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ainsley McTree posted:

Maybe I'm out of touch with the grognards, but that does not look like a 2-year old game that should cost $50

Like train sims, it's aimed at cashed-up greybeards

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Is there any clue as to roughly when to expect 1.5? I've just bought this game and it's a bit daunting as I don't know where to start, and I'm wondering if I should wait for 1.5 as it sounds like it will change a lot.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The impression one gets of the Imperium is that it is fanatical in all things it does. Is it possible to be fanatical in multiple disciplines through mods?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Archonex posted:

Where are the mod files kept? I want to make an edited version of the Eve mod to be compatible with NSC (It has all the ship types already, so you can't use it and any other mod that supports NSC without breaking the game.) but I can't find the editable data files.

\steamapps\workshop\content\281990\

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Wiz posted:

Yes but on the other hand eating plantoids is canonically vegan in Stellaris.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Coolguye posted:

whether the robots consent to this or not is not the point of this question

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Is it vegan if the food consents but the consumer does not?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Pigs are the saddest livestock as unlike every other food animal they have no real use when alive (except for that most niche of niche activities, truffle hunting).

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Okay so I've finally got the time to sit down and start playing this game, and oh god where do I begin?

What's the easiest way for a complete beginner at 4x to get started? I'd go with the UN but I've heard that missiles suck rear end, and if I'm going to edit that then it's really tempting to fiddle with all the other settings too.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
So I find my first primitives, and uplift them.

Fanatical purifiers.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Is it just me or do plantoid cities and ships actually fit nicely for space parrots?

(Using this mod to pretty them up and remove the fishbowl helmets)

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Wiz posted:

Get the gently caress out you monster.

How are they supposed to snack on lesser species with helmets on? :rolleyes:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Poil posted:

Rice is boiled with the lid on. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBIvYsAWyuU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
How far does terraforming tech go? Can I terraform every world/moonlet to match my home planet?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Wiz posted:

No. Only habitable worlds, plus some barren worlds (like Mars) in Banks. Stellaris galaxies are really too large for everything to be colonizeable.

In that case I hope border pressure upgrades go a long way, because I've got a sea of stars with delicious resources but no habitable planets, and I can only afford so many frontier outposts :(

Edit: is there some long-running joke behind parrots having fishbowls or was that simply a product of dev whimsy?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ofaloaf posted:

It's too bad emblems can't just be recolored on their own using the in-game palette.

I wish. I'm curious as to how it was decided to make all the emblems gold.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Hey my parrots are still wearing the space suits, but the helmet is a new, deployable version.

I can't find the pictures you're talking about, but I suspect the parrot's helmet is to stop it pecking the poo poo out of everything in reach.

Also why don't space snapping-turtles get clothes?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Some dumbshit AI race on the other side of a galaxy got in a single-system independence war that never ends, and because of that horseshit I can't exit my defense treaties with one political bloc, which then entered a general war with the other bloc.

How the gently caress do I get out of this stupid loving war? Why can't I tell my idiot partners to gently caress off and that no, I won't help their retarded fight?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Ugh, of course now that they've set off a fight between the two biggest alliances they end the dumb independence fight. Still stuck with this huge war I don't want to be in.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
How does wormhole travel play? I played my first game with warp, felt a bit unfocused so I made a new map with hyperlanes only, which is a blast, and I'm curious as to how wormholes work. Is it like a hyperlane network you build for yourself?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Do I get any warscore benefit from hanging around, blockading an enemy planet for a long time? Or is it just a fixed amount of warscore for having a blockade present on a given planet?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Please tell me there's a way to destroy this now-ownerless research station around a star, so I can build a frontier outpost on it.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Next in my series of retarded questions: I acquired a vassal in a two-planet, two-faction system. I then stomped and acquired the other planet, intending to give it to the vassal. Is this possible?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Thanks, somehow managed to completely miss that tab when looking through the trade menu :doh:

Edit: Goddamn it feels amazing to have jump drive tech in a hyperlane universe. Suddenly the bottlenecks are as nothing, and my fleet is kicking arse and taking names.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 16, 2017

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Well that was annoying. My federation decided we should all go to war with my rival and make them my vassal, so what the hell, I vote yes. We win, they're my bitch now, but the new vassal still has the "closed borders" malus, the option to open borders shows all green ticks on mouse-over, but is greyed out.

And then later when the two fallen empires awaken and my long-term cold-war rival suddenly drops that and joins my non-aligned federation, I can't turn off closed borders for them either, so they've still got the malus and I can't switch it off, but I can pass through their territory.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Sorry, I don't have time right now as I have to get ready for work, but it sounds like this post I found when I was googling for it earlier: https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/5fptcc/vassals_and_closed_border_dip_debuff/

I can't remember if they were actually my rival or I'd merely closed them off before the war, but after they were turned into vassal via victory condition, the button to open borders was greyed out (but the tooltip conditions were all met).

Oh god I played your game all night :negative:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Wiz posted:

That seems odd. Could you make a bug report on the Stellaris forums?

Done.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Feature I'm wishing for right now: the ability to change the map colour of another empire.

My neighbour is wearing the same dress as me, this is the worst party ever.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I don't want to do that :(

These guys are the liberated portion of the annoying racist religious starfish who'd been my rival since game start, and my federation pals and I just finished carving them up.

Speaking of, when you liberate systems(s), the newly-formed governments have the ethos of the liberator, but the populace does not. Is there a pacifism-compatible way of changing this, even if it takes a while?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Argas posted:

There's one way to fix that.

There's another!

Rename .sav file to .zip, extract gamestate, search for the colour name (list here), find the offending empire(s), change their primary colour strings, save, put back in the .zip, rename back to .sav

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Splicer posted:

This is a really good post.

It also just reminded of me of when I was playing a Xenophile and ended up swamped by a whole bunch of these fast-breeding furry rat dudes on my main species' planets because I wasn't paying attention when I said yes to the migration treaty. I was locked into no purges/resettlement so I couldn't get rid of them by any standard "evil" approaches.

I genetically engineered their entire species from Ocean preference to Arctic preference and watched them all slowly gently caress off to other empires and a few freshly colonised frigid hellhole honeypot worlds. Mrs. Splicer called me "a passive aggressive monster".

I've noticed that my leaders are gradually being replaced by my uplifted snapping turtles, because they're long-lived so tend to hang around once recruited.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Is there any way to see how far along my protectorate is to becoming a vassal? These dudes have been sitting in their corner masturbating for decades, I just want to loving integrate them already so I can clear up a couple of frontier posts.

Edit: I think some techs to decrease the influence cost of frontier stations would be interesting. Make them cheaper but also make the AI preferentially target them in war.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I find it frustrating that the Charismatic and Repugnant traits link together the diplomatic and planetary happiness bonus/malus. I want to make a race that are marvellous to behold but then once you accede to their migration treaty request they move in and poo poo up your planets and make all your existing inhabitants miserable.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
With the Blorg you can see the problem coming. My space parrots are magnificent to behold. It's only when your planet is covered in bird poo poo and they've taken everything apart to see how it works that you realise you've made a mistake.

Edit: is there a better worse combo than Repugnant, Nomadic, Rapid Breeders, Adaptive and Deviants?

GotLag fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Feb 20, 2017

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I started a new game with fanatic materialist xenophile parrots. Two jumps from my starting system is a ruined ringworld with a curator station, and half a dozen jumps from that is a fanatic xenophile fallen empire who have given me a research boost. I'm also on the edge of the galaxy and the hyper lane layout gives me clear room to expand along the rim with only a couple of frontier stations needed to keep out the riff-raff.

I think the game wants me to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Then some fallen empire comes along and dicks with your code and suddenly you're all spiritualist fanatical purifiers

• Locked thread