Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Wait, you can release planets/systems as vassals? How did I miss this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Coolguye posted:

ugh mother gently caress modifying your own race to have a different planetary preference does indeed give them a happiness malus for alien overlords, -7% at fanatic xenophobe level

i guess a monument to purity is going to be a requirement on all non-continental planets, that is loving insanely lame

I actually kinda that modifying your species to be accustomed to another climate type has this effect for xenophobes. The problem is that terraforming tech is so dicey to get and it can't be done on already-settled worlds. Otherwise, waiting around for planets to be suitable for your master race would be a fine enough substitute for waiting around for gene tailoring retroviruses (or whatever) to give everyone blubber so they can stand the arctic chill at noon in summer.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Serf posted:

Oh really? Where's that at? I tried clicking on them but that didn't seem to do anything.

Each individual ship has a little magnifying glass icon on it that will show you its design if you click it.

eta:

Incidentally, this reminds me of two gripes I have: the listing of individual ships is very unwieldy given late-game fleet sizes (don't get me started on the interface to split ships off into new fleets...) and there needs to be some way to upgrade non-standard "event" ships.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Truga posted:

Yeah you're right, that's why all the world superpowers run on slaves, because slaves are more productive

Until relatively historically recently, this is not an inaccurate statement.

eta: If we want to argue from history, I'd say that happiness should be basically irrelevant to slave productivity, but extremely relevant to how many resources you feel the need to devote to building armies to prevent/quell uprisings.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 5, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Note: Goon species are set to spawn "ALWAYS". So disable this mod if you don't want to see them around constantly I guess? Open to changing that.

A clunky way of dealing with this is to copy the contents of the mod's file into one's own user_empire_designs.txt

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Can you add traits to pops without them implicitly showing up as new species?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Modding question: is there any way at all to modify one or two entries in a file without overwriting the whole file? I know that Fallen Empires Expanded overrides vanilla events without overwriting the event files by simply using the same ID/key for its events as for some vanilla events, but I think it can only do that because it has the "namespace" tag to define its entries as being the same as vanilla events in terms of identification. I can't seem to do the same thing for, say, one or two of the components defined in 00_guardian_utilities.txt by just using the same key in a different file. The vanilla component will take priority.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

It looks like psionics is getting its own set of events/event chain which is rad. They're calling it out as the source of myths about magic so this might be some kind of psychic other realm or journey within the mind/species collective unconscious.

Here's hoping for an Eye of Terror-like psychic endgame crisis. :getin:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

CommissarMega posted:

If they do go for the 'psionics are the real magic' angle, it'd be nice to have that reflected in the weapons and technologies mounted on one's ships.

I do remember there being a brief moment in the stream when Wiz pointed out that cknoor's starting station looks different from his, so this kind of thing might be in.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Drone posted:

Wasn't there some goonpack of custom alien races with backstory et al? I remember that being a thing at some point, and I'm kinda tired of every single game of mine having the Chinorr Stellar Union and Scyldari Confederacy and all that poo poo.

GlyphGryph posted:

Goon Species Pack v1.0

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=858191485

Have species of your own you want to see added to it? Let me know!

Note: Goon species are set to spawn "ALWAYS". So disable this mod if you don't want to see them around constantly I guess? Open to changing that.

Also: Feel free to submit Fallen Empire flavoured empires as well. I'll also try to include any custom behaviours you might want or anything crazy like that.

Edit: As always, if you want to submit, include the words SPECIES SUBMISSION in your post, since that's what I search the thread for.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

ChickenWing posted:

More dumb newbie question:

Why shouldn't I just build fleets consisting of {biggest_ship}? I've been reading stuff and people are talking about how they've got corvettes in with their battleships and I don't understand why :downs: it seems like big ships are just a flat upgrade, given they have more damage per unit of fleet strength

Big ships have fewer mount points for weapons that can easily hit small ships. Meanwhile, small ships can mount torps that do big damage to relatively immobile targets.

That's the theory, anyway.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

ulmont posted:

You totally can, but see below.

Some numbers, from an endgame save I had, battleships versus torpedo corvettes with ratio notes:

<snip>

Other than for fleet capacity, and even there I think it's questionable, the way the multiple corvettes ablate away while the battleship keeps similar firepower going until the bitter end seems to suggest keeping the battleships.

One other stat worth thinking about is build time, which is also an 8-to-1 ratio. Considering that you can build several corvettes in parallel if you have enough shipyards, losing corvettes is much easier to recover from than losing battleships. They are more survivable, but when one goes down it is a much bigger deal.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

ulmont posted:

You can build several battleships in parallel as well (about 10-11 of those guys without mineral silos). :shrug:

But we're comparing one battleship to its "pound-for-pound" equivalent in corvettes.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

ulmont posted:

Are you really building 60 corvettes in parallel?

I don't even understand where this question is coming from.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

ulmont posted:

The pound-for-pound equivalent of 10 battleships is 60-80 corvettes. I'm not going to build 60-80 corvettes in parallel, but I will build 10 battleships in parallel.

I'm looking at this from the perspective of making up fleet losses, but if I'm making a fleet from scratch and I want ~100 corvettes (something I have found myself wanting for some purposes), I will queue up as many in parallel as I can afford, just like if I want ~10 battleships.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Corvs die quick. which means that you lose dps quick and they need to be replaced more often and their shields go down quicker and living metals have a smaller benefit. They also tend to take more damage due to lower armor so their defenses need to be compared too

Destroyers or carriers I could see using to help counter corvettes but i am struggling to imagine why you would field corvettes of your own.

The main use I had in mind for them was anything like a titan that could one-shot a capital ship with its doom laser. If you're going to get one-shotted anyway, lots of small things are good, the cheaper the better. FE fleets heavy with large or XL weapons that could hit capital ships easily but not corvettes was another.

idk, it worked out well for me.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Poil posted:

I wish scrolling in menus wasn't such a pain, the bar on the right is so narrow and if you move your mouse pointer one pixel too far to the right it closes the window. Whoever designed that deserves a slap in the face by a gross alien's extremity.

Holy poo poo, this.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Splitting fleets makes me want to die.

At least part of the problem is that you have to deal with individual ships. If I want to split off all destroyers, and they are all for some reason at the bottom of this hugeass list, WELP.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Roland Jones posted:

The final Diplomacy reveal is up, and it's a Xenophile's dream:

https://twitter.com/dmoregard/status/828882978017247232

At this point I kinda feel like if "Purity" failed the test for a tradition tree to be useful to multiple ethos because it's basically "xenophobia, the traditions" then Diplomacy is sort of the same for xenophiles.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Coolguye posted:

You do not actually survey systems while trading star charts currently

I'm actually really unclear on this point. What does it do?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Some people examining this screenshot have mentioned that food now appears to be included in the resource bar at the top, along side minerals and energy. This is leading people to believe that food will become global resource in 1.5 though no one has offically weighed in on it.

gently caress yeah

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

also uh

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/828965452403589120

:stare:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Serf posted:

This is some of the coolest stuff I've seen in the game, and I hope the other paths have equally cool things going on.

These are so cool I stopped reading them so it'll still be fresh and exciting when I make terrible decisions.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Wiz posted:

five different modes of genocide in Utopia

Another good thread title contender imo.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

ulmont posted:

Yeah, but now you have 15 colonizeable worlds in a single system!

Gets a little wonky if you move your capital world to a new system after your old one gets filled with gross time mutants.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I read this book because of this thread, and I think it's super relevant to this topic: http://www.rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Serf posted:

This book probably has one of the few depictions of aliens that seem actually alien.

The "reveal" was seriously one of the most dreadful and dispiriting things I ever read. I recommend it to everyone.

Also I'll check out that story, thanks!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Notably, eating people provides a substantial boost.

eta: If they eat the Snailiens I am going to be so triggered. Please be nice to Snailiens.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 9, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Apparently Observation Stations have a new "Indoctrinate" button...

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Aethernet posted:

Does this mean I can now convert primitives to my ethics before uplifting them? Ace.

That's my guess, but they said it'd be covered in next week's dev diary iirc.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

One other thing confirmed in the stream was the final number for Dyson sphere energy (1000/mo iirc).

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Coolguye posted:

one thought, though - we know what happens to the surrounding system as a dyson sphere is completed (planets go Frozen) but do we know what happens if it is later removed or destroyed somehow? or is that not a thing that can happen after installation? it would be hysterical to use a dyson sphere as an offensive weapon and then come back later to terraform/recolonize the now sterilized worlds.

Don't think that would work because you need to have a system in your territory to build megastructures.

Also I may have been joking about "final number." :v: But the number shown on stream (which is supposedly "not" final) was 200 per month.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Coolguye posted:

it would goddamn well work to make my current sectors purge the xenos, and they're offensive to me by their mere existence.

Well, fair enough, but then it's not so much a weapon as a housekeeping appliance.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

lol this is unbelievable. Human life is astounding.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Got a sinking feeling that somehow, arguments about the meaning of "collectivist" are going to get overshadowed by one dense poster not getting a joke about veganism.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Need to know whether the "livestock" slavery option makes the radish people free range and/or certified organic.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Jesus Christ, that's so sick. Like you could have eaten them as non-sentient creatures (maybe??), but nooo, you took the time to raise them up to self-awareness while indoctrinating them into believing that you, their gods, have given them the special and holy mission of being your food. Now they know what happening to them, they know and have been brainwashed or engineered into accepting it. :stonk:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Coolguye posted:

hey check it out you made it literally vegan

:perfect:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Something that seems like it would not fit into this formulation is the trope of psionic power being something that spontaneously manifests (or is perhaps an unintended consequence of some other technology) in various people, and society just has to Deal With It regardless of what it believes about spirit vs. matter overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Wiz posted:

Keep in mind you'll also be able to change empire ethics in Banks so if you decide that robots aren't for you after all and you'd actually like some space magic, you can work to turn your empire spiritualist. It's just that you can't do that and also keep your robots.

Something about this seems a bit backwards to me. I honestly feel like it would make more sense if discovering that psychic power might be real made a flip to Spiritualism more likely/easier.

I'm not even really opposed to the hard limit being proposed here. It might be worth forgoing certain options for overall greater gameplay improvements. Maybe this all is better as mod material, idk.

eta: If I were to do this as a mod, I'd probably make the seed for it be a pop that drifts to spiritualism having a random chance to get the Psionic trait, and sorta follow how the state responds to this development through events that would make flipping the empire to Spiritualist easier.

• Locked thread