Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

remove custom ships and replace them with three tech trees of fixed stats kinetic/missile/laser ships. also introduce three strategic resources that reduce the research time of their respective ship types. trade shootium for pewium when your kinetic ships are really good but you need better laser ships for this next war. go to war for boomium. yatta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

also maybe have a defense triangle too with the same principle

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

stellaris - it means "star is"

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

that website's wrong for what it's worth

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

sa forums > games > stellaris: the first duty of every stellaris poster is to the title. whether it's the meme title, or the educational title, or the in-joke title. it is the guiding principle upon which this thread is based. and if you can't find it within yourself to stand up and suggest a good title... then you don't deserve to post in this thread

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the ethos system feels like the old dnd alignment system where it's fun flavor and i have more fun ignoring it for the most part but sometimes the game pulls me aside like "y'all weren't thinking of ignoring the ethos system were you"

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

if they're cute let them in and give them voting rights. if they're ugly purge them

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Wiz posted:

the ability to do things like specialize your fleets for certain enemies to win against an otherwise overpowering foe.

you can do exactly this with fixed stats rock/paper/scissors ships using the three techs though. and you get the added bonus of not having to tediously research and replace marginally small upgrades individually. and you get the opportunity to tie it into the strategic resource system with resources that research ships faster. win-win-win !!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

ah, my precious ship designer. love to open her up and see the HMS Space Merrimack, or her sister ship, the HMS Enterprize, which trades a shield for another armor + a tiny laser, giving it the tactical edge i need when completely guessing what the enemy's packing. love to go through my fleet wholesale and replace Red Laser (3 power/6 dps) with Blue Laser (4 power/7 dps) occasionally. when i see all my old designs, which are just the exact same techs except the numbers are higher now... makes me feel like i OWN them you know?? like i'm unfurling blueprints on Lomak Drives Yards that say "make the numbers go up but don't use the bad weapons - signed, me". now you KNOW it's a 4x game

[RESEARCH COMPLETE]

hah.. christmas already?? :D

oddium fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 22, 2017

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

it would be a shame to lose the part of the game where you click buttons to make the numbers go up 2%, and instead have to play the part of the game where you manage a politically charged stellar empire

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Wiz posted:

I know this is going to come as a severe shock, so brace yourself, but not everyone wants the exact same thing out of their gameplay experience as you.

what they want is boring and what i want is cool so i feel like i'm in the right here

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Libluini posted:

Well, I think what you want is boring and what I want is cool, so we're at an impasse here. :haw:

make some funny posts about it and we'll see where it goes from there

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Kitchner posted:

Pretty funny to see people complaining about the ship designer, one of the bits of the game that, while not perfect, certainly isn't bad.

To be totally honest I've stopped using it, because I just auto design everything now. This is because I've found its much easier to bring more ships than to squeeze an extra 10% out of the same number of ships by having an optimal design.

The fact that people are complaining about a totally optional feature which, if they choose not to use makes no odds to them, particularly against the AI, is bizarre.

if i went to someone's house and they told me i had to make furniture out of milk crates if i wanted to sit down, but it's okay because they have something that makes milk-crate couches automatically like yeah i guess i could sit on the milk crate couch and be cool while other people are making impromptu chairs and tables. but i would still ask them why not just get a real couch at that point

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

Are the dudes in that orbital even human at this point? They'd be soaking up some gigantic amounts of radiation that close.

good destroy all humans

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

roll mining/research/observation stations into an omnistation with module slots :hai:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Bholder posted:

I'll be the guy who says "I would not have played Stellaris if there was no ground combat"

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

empire at war

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Deceitful Penguin posted:

So, first impressions are that for some reason I am always way, way weaker than the rest of the fuckers around me. Is it because I'm not up against my ship limit? What are the good/bad types? I tried to keep at least some parity in missiles/lasers/shootygans witha focus on shield over armour and it worked so long as I outnumbered them but then after I wiped two of his smaller stacks a huge one of his, like 40% bigger arrived and wiped me out.

use the ship designer to build units that counter his

Is there seriously no espionage/sabotage system? Even EU had that and it wasn't meant to show the future, which probably will have a lot of that. Having to guess whether "u at parity bro" means anything true or not is lame and turned out to be rather wrong. The Diplomacy thus far seems incredibly basic yet irritatingly opaque.

it'll get better soon, probably

Why can't I adapt hyperspacelane tech from my vassal? Can I build stations for him? Why can't I send him a pop unit that can actually colonize the planet near him for him?

force hyperlanes from the start, it's more fun that way. i think the idea with vassals is they could gain their freedom and then property right would be a mess

Are there seriously no pre-set maps with pre-set factions? No scenarios? No alternatives to the 3 different weapons/travel methods? Why can't I start with cool and interesting techs as a thing?

that'd be super cool but this is a 4x

why are there so many goddamn pirates? how could this happen when the lead ideas guy literally made a mod making fun of too many pirates?? why does the level setup not stop you from getting boxed in by them? Getting a 1K stack is gonna take forever

after the beginning chain pirates just seem to never come back

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i would pay for less humans

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i meant irl sorry

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

this adviser said he was giving me +3 diplo and +1 dip rep... but it was +2 diplo...........

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

check this out:

sa forums > games > Stellaris: Bites of Man

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

like as a meal

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the restrictive nature of ethics really introduces a disconnect between how my cool empire works in my head and how i have to play them

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Kitchner posted:

Weirdly knowing the next patch is so awesome has lead to me not playing the game, as I know I will sulk the entire time thinking "Wiz is fixing this soon. It would be much better then".

dangerous thinking friend

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

So what happens if you purge your psionic pops?

your death stars get destroyed and your government changes to republic

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Talkie Toaster posted:

I hope hope hope to god that they don't have this ascension path be 'You are actually in a simulation!'. That was the thing that soured me the most on No Man's Sky.

from what i understand they intend to have an entire rest of the game to enjoy outside of this small flavor. actually no man's sky did that too

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

[talkie toaster finishing smb2] ah what an enjoyable romp of platforming and peril. now to watch the ending and be validated that my adventure was 100% real and good

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

wiz can you add a star named Oddium that is very cool and good 😄

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

"the lovely ending soured me on [thing]" is a perfectly normal sentiment you weirdo

yeah it really betrayed the interesting story beats that procedural sandbox game No Man's Sky presented, like "what is?? gotta move forward" and "what is?? gotta move forward"

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the little helmets on the birds are extremely win and one of the only reasons they don't get purged from my pretty species collection

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

if another empire is willing to get to the point to ally fanatic purifiers, should they really have to jump through another hurdle and pay for the privilege. frontier outposts i understand though

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

if it makes the game more fun, instead of less fun, well personally i'd be for the more fun thing, in my opinion

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Wiz posted:

It sure is a good thing that everyone has the exact same opinion on what is and isn't fun.

i don't think this is true. for instance i've noticed some game devs have awful ideas on what's fun

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

The Muffinlord posted:

So are we ever going to get a randomize button for ship class names, or should I just keep naming everything after weapons or plant and animal parts?

an Orassi Stellar Yards G-56 "Dog Foot" Corvette. fastest in the galaxy

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

actually i'm a game dev too. feel free to pm me so we can Talk Shop

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

[thinking as hard as i can about sci fi stuff i've seen] it would be cool if there were um. an indian planet and you had to relocate them. and wesley gets angry

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

are there any plans on having more than one species in a starting empire, even just cosmetically (so same ethos/habitability/etc). or two empires having the same homeworld maybe

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

isn't there a diplomatic map mode for that

• Locked thread