Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buff goat man

A. Buy yourself an electric kettle. Costco sells them for $20. They're great for getting water boiling quickly. However, coffee shouldn't be brewed at 212 F, but around 195. So I'll usually wait for the kettle to finish doing its business (about 3 minutes), then let it sit for a bit to cool down, and then brew.

B. Buy yourself a French press. French presses are simple, and cheap. You can get a good quality one for about $20. Now, I know that in most cases $40 can be steep for a student, but if you really want good coffee this is the way to go.

The french press is incredibly simple. Just put some coffee grounds (I put about two heaping table spoons) in the bottom, fill that sucker up with your water, stir, and let it brew for about 3 minutes. Obviously, the longer you brew, the stronger it will be. The whole process of making French press coffee takes about 8-10 minutes.

The main downside to the French press is cleanup, and that it is an active coffee making process rather than a passive one like an automatic coffee maker like a Mr. Coffee would be. In terms of simplicity and cost, as well as brew quality and control, the French press is the way to go. I've been making French press coffee for about 10 years now and it's never done me wrong.

The other option would be a stovetop espresso maker like Bialetti makes, which produces amazing espresso via a simple steam pressure method. Cleanup is a bit easier, but it requires a stovetop. I suppose you could get one of those portable stovetops, but cost would be an issue there unless your dorm had a stove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buff goat man

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Or buy an aeropress, similar price but a whole lot easier to clean up and IMO makes a better tasting coffee

To be fair, I've never tried one so I couldn't suggest it.

Also, sorry OP, I didn't see the "no presses" part. It is indeed true that you can put COARSE GROUND coffee in a cup and just drink that.

buff goat man

assemblyrequired posted:

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep them in mind.
I do still live at home, so I have access to a stovetop, I'm just trying to spend very little money.
I didn't realize how inexpensive presses are, I'll consider it. Thoughts on making it pioneer style? (Boiled in a pot)
Pouring hot water over grounds feels like it is really weak, but I may just not be adding enough grounds.

I've not tried the pour-over method.

If you're looking for STRONG, and because you have access to a stovetop, I would definitely go for the stovetop espresso maker route. Coffee is intensely strong (of course, it's espresso), and cleanup is easier than the French press. https://www.amazon.com/Original-Bialetti-Stovetop-Espresso-Patented/dp/B0000CFSS5

If you have Amazon Prime, or your parents do or whatever, this is cheaper than buying the Electric Kettle and French Press. I switched to this kind of coffee maker for a while when I still lived at my parent's place because they had a gas stovetop which was quicker than the French press. In my experience, the Bialetti works with either a gas stovetop or electric, but the electric takes a little bit longer.

buff goat man

City of Glompton posted:

put the fresh grounds in your lip like a chaw. strong, and no equipment required.

get some fiber glass in there, baby, you got yourself a stew goin'

• Locked thread