Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alnilam

Plenty of good ideas here. Let me suggest the pour over method. Cheap, and frankly one of the best ways along with French press to make coffee.

Buy a plastic one cup pour over funnel.
Melitta makes one for like $4, no joke.

Buy some #2 filters to go with it. A few bucks for a box of 50.

Boil water in kettle, or in any vessel with a spout, I've even done it in a pyrex measuring cup thing in the microwave

Put grounds in filter in funnel perched on mug.

Pour the water into the grounds until water level is almost at top of funnel. Let it drain. Repeat until your mug is full.
(If you want to get fancy, make your first pour just a splash to let the grounds "bloom," only really relevant if you're grinding fresh tho)

Seriously i am kind of a gourmet about coffee (though like you i will not poo poo bad coffee, only weak coffee), I roast my own coffee from single source beans and grind it fresh for every cup, and nonetheless i make my coffee every morning using a literally $4 plastic pour over thingy and a grungy old tea kettle and i have no regrets

On the other side of the fancy spectrum my old housemate used exactly the same method every morning but with regular pre ground coffee from the grocery store and was similarly always satisfied

alnilam fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

The pour over thingy is about the size of a mug and very light so don't worry about it taking up space

alnilam

Well for one you need the cone thingy and the filters obv

The other consideration is quantity of grounds. You can use more or less grounds to make it stronger or weaker. As a starting point try like 3 tbsp ish. Adjust as desired. Eventually you'll learn to eyeball it.

alnilam

Yeah i mean the $4 cone will last you basically forever and each filter comes out to a few cents so it's quite a cheap method

Another tip is don't stir the grounds around, let them do what they want in the water. If they stick to the sides, let them, and then (if you're pouring more water) pour into the center rather than explicitly trying to pour down the sides to unstick the grounds.
And guess what even if you ignore that advice it'll still probably be fine!

There are probably a million youtubr videos showing you "proper pouring technique" and most of them will make it seem way more complicated than it has to be, so if you want maybe watch a few but take them with a grain of salt

Good luck!

alnilam

Fresh ground is great but the op said no major money so i don't think they're gonna buy a >$100 grinder

That being said if you do decide to jump into grinding, get the Porlex Mini hand grinder. At $35ish it's the cheapest adjustable burr grinder you can get and it's perfect for one cup at a time.

If you want to use it to make a larger batch e.g. french press, get the porlex regular/non-mini one, bigger capacity and only like $10 more.

alnilam

Hot tip: boil water, then wait 2-4 minutes for ideal temperature, if you don't want to bother with a thermometer

Sure the exact timing depends on the quantity of water, the vessel it's in, and the room temp, but 2-4 minutes is "close enough"

If you forget to wait and you use boiling water it's fine it will still be better than moldy tasting coffee from your machine. Just something to shoot for.

e: oh wait manifisto already said this advice, nm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

• Locked thread