Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
assemblyrequired

I’ll be up-front. I don’t know how to make good coffee. My coffeemaker always produces moldy-tasting coffee, and while instant coffee isn’t too bad, real coffee has a certain taste that instant never achieves. (In my experience, at least.)

I like my coffee very strong, which has been the main reason that lots of these have not panned out. I’ll reluctantly drink coffee with a funny taste (as long as it’s not a dangerous funny taste, for example I was mostly fine with dish soap once) but weak coffee is not for me.

I also don’t want an expensive or high tech solution, so basically my tools are:
Pre-ground coffee
A small teapot (clear) with filter for tea leaves (enough to get large particles but not coffee dust)
A microwave
Other general kitchen utensils but nothing fancy
The ingenuity of the hive mind

So I submit to the greatest minds of BYOB R+D, how do I make coffee without a coffeemaker? I am a college student so I want to figure out how to make myself a good cup of coffee without any specialized equipment (injectors, presses, arc welders, etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

assemblyrequired

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep them in mind.
I do still live at home, so I have access to a stovetop, I'm just trying to spend very little money.
I didn't realize how inexpensive presses are, I'll consider it. Thoughts on making it pioneer style? (Boiled in a pot)
Pouring hot water over grounds feels like it is really weak, but I may just not be adding enough grounds.

assemblyrequired

Actually I may do that, wow. (Editor's Note: the stovetop espresso maker)
I just made some coffee by pouring it over and waiting, the result wasn't too bad.
It just feels like it cools off very quick (makes sense, the glass isn't very thick)
I've been trying different methods for a while, this is a step pretty far up the staircase for me.
Once I get back to a computer I'll post a list of all my hilarious (for people who aren't me) fails

assemblyrequired

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

You could try cold brew, I use a fancy fermentation crock, but you can use any food safe container, add a ton of coffee and water and wait 12-24 hrs, beware its stronger than it tastes, I got heart flutters from drinking too much too fast.

This is an interesting thought. Do you heat it up afterwards? I've never experienced cold brew.

With regards to its strength, I'm actually more interested in the strong taste than anything else. It could be decaf if it felt like it was gonna punch me in the face for all I truly care

assemblyrequired

City of Glompton posted:

put the fresh grounds in your lip like a chaw. strong, and no equipment required.

This is a cool idea. What's the timeframe of potency? My drive to class is usually 30-60 minutes so I want something I can enjoy while I'm hitting every red light for six miles

assemblyrequired

That sounds like my kind of method. I'll try it tomorrow (I've had enough caffeine for today) and let you know how it went. Any tricks or just "prepare, pour, and enjoy the ride"

assemblyrequired

Cool, thank you. I'll actually spend money on filters, and not use a napkin + strainer (I was doing tests to see how low cost I could get, and didn't consider the fact that boiling a napkin in coffee makes the coffee taste like napkin)

assemblyrequired

alnilam posted:

Another tip is don't stir the grounds around, let them do what they want in the water. If they stick to the sides, let them, and then (if you're pouring more water) pour into the center rather than explicitly trying to pour down the sides to unstick the grounds.

This is also helpful, I've been stirring a lot. Thanks! (Will post progress tomorrow)

joke_explainer posted:

The biggest way to improve your coffee is to not buy pre-ground coffee. Getting fresh whole beans, and grinding themselves, with immeasurably improve your coffee. It's expensive but this grinder is amazing:

https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BCG800XL-Smart-Grinder/dp/B0043EWFAM

That's the one I have at work. We go through a TON of coffee, and it's a total champ. Whatever you do get, I recommend a burr grinder and not a little blade mill grinder.

If you can brew your coffee just seconds after grinding you get the best product imo. You lose a lot of flavor as it rapidly dries out in exposure to the air; you can smell in the air where you've ground how it's losing potency fast. Pre-ground coffee even in the freezer loses a lot of the punch of ground coffee.

I personally love the french press, I have a big old one and I'll grind a bunch of coffee and make a huge amount of delicious french press coffee and put it in a big thermos to sip on all day.

This is more of a long-term goal for me, given the cost. Thank you though, I may end up asking for something like that as a Christmas / birthday present next year (I will remember)
Plus my family already drinks coffee (and therefore buys grounds) so grounds are basically free. (I do still chip in, but I'm gonna use the stuff we have) I just don't prefer the taste from our coffee maker (moldy? Maybe it's in my head)

assemblyrequired

I also got two pounds of ground coffee free today (blood donation center was handing out dunkin donuts coupons) which is a big incentive to use that

Edit: wow that's a lot of good advice, thanks.

I hadn't even considered erring on the side of too strong and then adjusting with hot water (that's obvious but it didn't even occur to me, wow) so thanks for that

assemblyrequired fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

assemblyrequired

Thank you to everybody who put a lot of effort into helping me, it means a lot.
I tried the funnel method and it worked really well! I'm going to do that for a while, then work up to a stovetop espresso maker.
THIS HAS BEEN REALLY HELPFUL, I really appreciate it.

• Locked thread