Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A LOVELY LAD

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

assemblyrequired posted:

I’ll be up-front. I don’t know how to make good coffee. My coffeemaker always produces moldy-tasting coffee, and while instant coffee isn’t too bad, real coffee has a certain taste that instant never achieves. (In my experience, at least.)

I like my coffee very strong, which has been the main reason that lots of these have not panned out. I’ll reluctantly drink coffee with a funny taste (as long as it’s not a dangerous funny taste, for example I was mostly fine with dish soap once) but weak coffee is not for me.

I also don’t want an expensive or high tech solution, so basically my tools are:
Pre-ground coffee
A small teapot (clear) with filter for tea leaves (enough to get large particles but not coffee dust)
A microwave
Other general kitchen utensils but nothing fancy
The ingenuity of the hive mind

So I submit to the greatest minds of BYOB R+D, how do I make coffee without a coffeemaker? I am a college student so I want to figure out how to make myself a good cup of coffee without any specialized equipment (injectors, presses, arc welders, etc.)

In some places in eastern europe they just dump the grounds and water in a cup and drink it and (most of) the grounds stay at the bottom of the cup \/:shobon:\/

E:

buff goat man posted:

B. Buy yourself a French press. French presses are simple, and cheap. You can get a good quality one for about $20. Now, I know that in most cases $40 can be steep for a student, but if you really want good coffee this is the way to go.

The french press is incredibly simple. Just put some coffee grounds (I put about two heaping table spoons) in the bottom, fill that sucker up with your water, stir, and let it brew for about 3 minutes. Obviously, the longer you brew, the stronger it will be. The whole process of making French press coffee takes about 8-10 minutes.

The main downside to the French press is cleanup, and that it is an active coffee making process rather than a passive one like an automatic coffee maker like a Mr. Coffee would be. In terms of simplicity and cost, as well as brew quality and control, the French press is the way to go. I've been making French press coffee for about 10 years now and it's never done me wrong.

Or buy an aeropress, similar price but a whole lot easier to clean up and IMO makes a better tasting coffee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A LOVELY LAD

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

:coffeepal:

• Locked thread