Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

PoptartsNinja posted:

Capt. Hammer of the battleship-class His Divine Overcompensation

I change my vote to this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Captain Ciaphas Cain and The Imperial Navy Ship A Series Of Unlikely Explanations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Calax posted:

Not physically repulsive. She's a blank psychically speaking, and most every human in the galaxy has some form of psychic resonance. Basically she was that person who was good for about a day, then everything about them started to rub you EXACTLY the wrong way causing you to hate them more and more.

Not the way I remember the book explained it, but I may be mistaken. Everything else about the character is still dumb, though. :colbert:

W40K lore is great as long as is told by fans, horrible when GW hacks try to write a book.

Comstar posted:

Anyone whose ever got some knowledge should watch the best guide to the galaxy - If the Emperor had a Text-to-Speech Device. The Big E himself wakes up and starts talking. And he has a plan. Goes into great detail of the original 40K mythos from a naturally human, and very male, perspective.

I rest my case.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Comstar posted:

Anyone whose ever got some knowledge should watch the best guide to the galaxy - If the Emperor had a Text-to-Speech Device. The Big E himself wakes up and starts talking. And he has a plan. Goes into great detail of the original 40K mythos from a naturally human, and very male, perspective.
I would like to inform you that I just loving binge-watched this whole motherfucker in one sitting and I hold you personally responsible for "you tube of loving custard" now being in my repertoire of insults.

Well done.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Another good video: A fan-made short film which does a good job of capturing the peculiar atmosphere of WH40K:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZc6cr6G2E4

Compilation of cutscenes from the Final Liberation with detailed costumes and hammy actors galore:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stZV5SxzLf4

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
If anyone wants to see the only good WH40K product, they need to read DEFF SKWADRON

http://www.cold-moon.com/40k/Deff%20Skwadron/deff_skwadron.htm

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Not BFG-related, but if anyone's wondering if Sanctus Reach is worth buying, I have to say it's kind of a bust, sadly :( The game parts are good, make no mistake (though the Ork AI does mess up a few tiomes, which is to be expected), but from what I've played so far the campaign lacks the hammy charm that I think makes 40K what it is, and which is a major selling point to me at least.

Basically, if you're looking for a good TBS game, Sanctus Reach might scratch that itch. if you're looking for a good 40K game, you might want to look elsewhere; I'd suggest Warhammer 40K: Armageddon, which is basically a more modern Final Liberation, albeit without FMVs (still cheesy as hell though).

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
If you want a real good read, make sure you take a look at Deffwotch.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
And remember, it's not Eldar anymore, it's Aeldari.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

my dad posted:

I JUST SHAT OUT ANOTHER WARP STORM. WHAT THE gently caress IS AN AELDARI?

But seriously, did they actually do the thing were you add an I after the R and replace the E sound with an AE sound to make it seem more exotic?

Games Workshop is the loving worst.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

my dad posted:

It's so nice of them to clearly indicate that the joke is no longer the name but instead the company.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

my dad posted:

Can't wait for the Imperium of Man to become the Emperaphon of Maanz

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

my dad posted:

Are you joking or did the Steamhead Duardin-ize 40k, too? :allears:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

RickVoid posted:

I JUST SHAT OUT ANOTHER WARP STORM. WHAT THE gently caress IS AN AELDARI?

But seriously, did they actually do the thing were you add an I after the R and replace the E sound with an AE sound to make it seem more exotic?

Games Workshop is the loving worst.

Apparently they may have advanced the Plot.
and The Eldar were ready to summon Ynaed, their Slaneesh killing Death God.
Ynaed just needed one more Eldar Soul to materialise. Eldred's. At which point his ego got in the way, and all the Craftworld's soulstones dissipated into the Warp.

So now they get to be Aeldari so that GW can trademark it.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Veloxyll posted:

Ynaed just needed one more Eldar Soul to materialise. Eldred's. At which point his ego got in the way, and all the Craftworld's soulstones dissipated into the Warp.
So the Eldar screwed everything up again? :v:

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Veloxyll posted:

So now they get to be Aeldari so that GW can trademark it.

The only group of sentient beings capable of loving up worse the GW are the Aeldari:commissar: Eldar

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

my dad posted:

are you loving kidding me

No seriously, are GW going Age of Sigmar on 40K now?

Veloxyll posted:

Ynaed just needed one more Eldar Soul to materialise. Eldred's. At which point his ego got in the way, and all the Craftworld's soulstones dissipated into the Warp

And once again, the Eldar gently caress things up for everyone. Goddamn space elves.

EDIT: Ah gently caress, it's true: http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2017/01/40k-goodbye-eldar-hello-aeldari.html

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 25, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Valiantman posted:

Are you joking or did the Steamhead Duardin-ize 40k, too? :allears:

See also the Imperial Guard, who have formally been the Astra Militarum for a year or two now.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
From what I've read they're very much not Age of Sigmaring it up - for one thing they're releasing new rules and making a game to go along with those plot developments, not tearing it up going "we're not a games company we just sell models and paint figure out the rules yourself".

It actually sounds quite interesting - Chaos Ascendant (bye Cadia), possible Eldar/Imperial Alliance, an Eldar/Dark Eldar unification that actually makes sense (unlike the fantasy one), etc.

Hell ye olde Gothic War suddenly is relevant again because Abaddon uses one of the Blackstone Fortresses he found underneath the sofa cushion to wipe out cadia and its pylons

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cythereal posted:

See also the Imperial Guard, who have formally been the Astra Militarum for a year or two now.

Which is dumb, since IIRC a more proper Latin term would be Militest Astra or summat of the sort. Definitely sounds better than Astra Militarum, at least to me.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

CommissarMega posted:

Which is dumb, since IIRC a more proper Latin term would be Militest Astra or summat of the sort. Definitely sounds better than Astra Militarum, at least to me.

Found the flaw in your logic.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

DatonKallandor posted:

From what I've read they're very much not Age of Sigmaring it up - for one thing they're releasing new rules and making a game to go along with those plot developments, not tearing it up going "we're not a games company we just sell models and paint figure out the rules yourself".

It actually sounds quite interesting - Chaos Ascendant (bye Cadia), possible Eldar/Imperial Alliance, an Eldar/Dark Eldar unification that actually makes sense (unlike the fantasy one), etc.

Hell ye olde Gothic War suddenly is relevant again because Abaddon uses one of the Blackstone Fortresses he found underneath the sofa cushion to wipe out cadia and its pylons

Of course, GW did this through a gameplay contest. So Chaos WON Cadia's ground. But lost the space war so the 13th Crusade's vanguard were stuck under the guns of the Imperial navy and it's kind of hard to mount a galaxy wide campaign of terror when you're stuck on a single world.

It's been Astra Militarum for years. Everyone is just used to referring to them as the Imperial Guard, and I think GW aren't pushing quite so hard as they did with AOS. After AOS took Warhammer Fantasy products from the 2nd largest wargame (as Fantasy) to bumfuck no-where with AOS.

The Eldar loving up is part of actually breaking into the 42nd Millenium.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Veloxyll posted:

After AOS took Warhammer Fantasy products from the 2nd largest wargame (as Fantasy) to bumfuck no-where with AOS.

Ahahaha, really? Got any stats/news links for this?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Geocities Homepage King posted:

Found the flaw in your logic.

I quote, Lectio Divinitatus.

Dominicius
Dec 3, 2011
Oh yea, this game. I was interested but ended up passing on it since the campaign only lets you play as the empire (to my knowledge). So now at least I'll get to see if there is anything I missed out on.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Dominicius posted:

Oh yea, this game. I was interested but ended up passing on it since the campaign only lets you play as the empire (to my knowledge). So now at least I'll get to see if there is anything I missed out on.

Yeah the only campaign race is Empire, but it's a sad trade-off: if Tindalos had decided to make a multi-faction campaign, then no single one would have been as good as the campaign that they've managed to make by focusing on the Imperials.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

Don't forget Trazyn deciding to play hero, tossing out guard regiments and Horus Heresy-ere Ultramarines from his loving pokeballs.

Though to be fair to the Cadians

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The Cadians have held that particular line for thousands of years.

Practice makes perfect.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I like weird/creepy "good" elves a lot more than bro-y ones so Eldar-Imperial alliance would be extremely not my poo poo.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Prologue, Part 3, the end of the beginning.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I like the imagery of Spire at the end there talking about how he hopes to allay fears about him to rest, all the while having a medal that looks VERY much like a particular insignia...

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I think Melta Torps don't have the armor piercing that regular torps do, so they're mostly good against Eldar, the backs of Orks, and other low armor targets.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Samovar posted:

I like the imagery of Spire at the end there talking about how he hopes to allay fears about him to rest, all the while having a medal that looks VERY much like a particular insignia...

To be fair, it is supposed to be a ship's wheel.

DatonKallandor posted:

I think Melta Torps don't have the armor piercing that regular torps do, so they're mostly good against Eldar, the backs of Orks, and other low armor targets.

Wait what? I thought the whole point of melta torpedoes was to pierce armour? Have things changed since I last played?

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

CommissarMega posted:

Wait what? I thought the whole point of melta torpedoes was to pierce armour? Have things changed since I last played?

That's the case in 40k but apparently Battlefleet Gothic Melta Torpedoes are all about setting fires. :shrug:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Oh right yeah I forgot :downs: To be honest, I think setting fires is much better than sheer damage, as they could wreck various systems- their DoT is just a bonus. That being said, I admit I've never really used torpedoes very often.

EDIT: A bit nitpicky, but Ciaphas Cain's first name is pronounced with a hard C, 'Kai-ah-fas' basically.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 25, 2017

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I don't mind the name change for the Eldar and they have said you can keep calling them Eldar and I am quite glad to see the story moving along some what. Also I think the new Eldar models coming look pretty cool. Just my opinion.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm just enjoying GW's batshit decisions.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Does every ship in this have a teleportarium?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Wow, Eldrad is a loving moron. GW managed to make one of the most venerated and clever of their race go steal everyone's soulstones, all to create Ynnead, without permission from ANY of the craftworlds. And lost thanks to Deathwatch and Eldrad basically goading Deathwatch. Now I would totally like it if it were that DeathWatch had to go through hell against the most elite and discplined the Eldar had to offer, after all Eldrad isn't so stupid to only have a small troupe of Space Clowns to protect him? Oh wait in this case he is that dumb. With one single event he killed every Eldar's grandmother, aborted Ynnead to be the strength of a Khaine shard. Not Khaine himself, but equal to an Avatar of Khaine, the most clowned on boss unit in the game. All those wraith war machines? Well no soulstones means you can't operate any of this machinery, not to mention Eldar society pretty much lost all unity because again, Eldrad killed all their grandmothers. It was a complete curbstomp.

Well at least I got my wish in Magnus and the Thousand Sons crippling the Space Wolves to a slow and painful death due to lack of gene seed.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Gee Double-You dot tee ecks tee

• Locked thread