Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Veloxyll posted:

Oh, and the thing is probably the Deciever. One of the Necron gods. Which maybe means that the crusade might not actually be in the best interests of Chaos.

Arguably most of the crusades have not been to the best intrest of chaos even if they like to pretend every one of them had been a massive victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I bought this game when it was on sale recently because of thist LP and im confused about HerpLPs take on the dominator. He seems to say you should avoid ramming with it because of the canon, but once im in ramming range isnt the canon useless? The ship seems to be a long range and close range ship and sucks at mid range. You shoot at ships that try to keep away with the canon and then try to get close for the strong side guns.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 10, 2017

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I had similar results with that mission when i first did it. After a complete campaign restart and did it again I realised its better to never turn around and just keep hounding the inquisitors ship since if it goes too far foward it means the chaos ships focus fire it to death. Also second time through i was much more skilled at ramming so everything ended up dying a lot faster.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 13, 2017

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
in the shipyard theres some button to the left lower screen that allows you to get out all the skill buttons. you can set the autocast there for each ship. too lazy to go check where exactly.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Whats the diffrence between diffuculty settings anyway? Im thinking of switching to hard because normal is too easy for the most part. Except orcs. They still screw me over.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
the real heresy the chaos ships do is not have a proper prow for ramming.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Im on the eldar alliance mission in my normal playthrough. Im a lot less focused on hit and run tactics and more on brute strength. The Orcs are still kicking my rear end :negative:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
i havent finished the campaign yet but it seems like the dow1 style before dark crusade. im not really sure where the dota nonsense is coming from. feels like dow 1 with some dow2 stuff mixed in.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It's really horrendously dumbed down DoW 1 with far too many skills and whatnot to use on each unit and not enough great upgrades. I want to give this squad of Space Marines flamers and these heavy bolters to distinguish them as units, and that one I want to attach a force chaplain to and the other a librarian. I don't want lovely "Elite Units" that respawn and can take on an entire army by itself. Davian Thule was a respawning hero unit, but he couldn't defend against three or four units of Ork Boyz by himself, that's why you could attach commanders to squads and poo poo. No cover system or morale also is a step down. The Dota comparisons mostly come from the Power Core mode they're trying to push, but really its just that they're trying to put DoW 2 levels of micromanagement and ability casting in a game the scale of DoW 1. Also, I hate the look of the game but that's entirely subjective.

Not really sure how its dumped down to dow 1 since that was mostly build units, maybe upgrade stuff and put on auto reinforce forever. Its pretty hard to be MORE dumped down than dow 1 and i feel im having to think about a lot more in dow 3 right now than in 1. Though i definetly liked dow 2 more than 3 so far. But like i said im not super far into the game yet.
As far as hero focus goes, they were pretty significant even in 2. Not sure why them being powerful is an issue. Also morale was barely ever an issue in dow1 to the point it might as well not have been a mechanic by time soulstorm was released. Though i wish the game had a supression mechanic. Not that there arent ways to slow down melee units.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
On the eldar skirmish video, the best way ive heard of playing eldar in multiplayer actually involves using the Alaitoc favor. You just use the biggest ships possible and try to keep yourself as a blip on the radar so the enemey cant shoot back while you can. This can be hard countered but luckely eldar are very rare and the most common meta doesent automatically counter it very well so its still a decent strategy if youre lucky enough not to meet a guy who has the option to counter it. Basically Eldar are very competetive if they are rare opponents in the current meta and die instantly if the meta changes so their gimmick gets hard countered commonly.
Now is it a fun strategy to do? No, it takes a while even when it does work and i imagine if its working as intended its very frustrating to the opponent since they can barely do anything. Basically victory through the opponent deciding "gently caress this, i cant do anything" and warping out.
Edit: EMP bombs is also a bit better for eldar i think since they do more hit and runs. Dont really want to waste time dealing with shields over and over so better get rid of them as soon as your firing again after running away.
Edit edit: Also seems like BFG armada is on sale right now.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 4, 2017

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
From what i can tell kiting ork ships is usually ideal since a murder blob will have a hard time against an ork murder blob. Every other time just go full murder blob because your murder blob is better than everyone elses.
Edit: also eldar assasination missions are why all my light cruisers have the space marine favor on them and speed booster trait.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I think one turn is one galactic year or something?

• Locked thread