Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Aumanor posted:

So does anyone know what chapter the space marine present in the post-mission 1 cutscene?

Do you mean the one at the ~13 minute mark where the various factions preside over the captain? That would be one of the Imperial Fists. Quite refreshing to see them not just defaulting back to the bland old Ultramarines.

Anyhow, the game owns and I can really recommend everybody who likes the general aesthetic or gameplay to give it a try. Even small skirmishes can have incredibly fun and satisfying moments. Or just plain hilarious ones, like this one:
https://zippy.gfycat.com/TerrificFalseBluefish.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Prologue, Part 2: Broken up into two parts due to its length. Split it up between fleet management and combat, the first part being unnecessary if you just want to get into the meat of the game.

An introduction to the fleet and a convoy mission against a Pirate force.

I dropped the volume a bit in this video, the main issue is the generic voices chirping in are on the same slider as the wonderful dialogue which I definitely don't want to lower any more than it already is at.

Interesting choice on the Dictator. It's a pretty rare pick since the other choices are a bit flashier (and later it's overshadowed by the Mars), so it's nice to see one in action for a change. The long range and versatility is definitely a help for Imps.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The only good part about that book was when they had that giant crazy cult-y concert, where some of the marines picked up the instruments and started rocking out so hard that they killed people with them and also pulled some daemons into reality to boot. So basically

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Slaneesh is bad (other than noise marines)

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Wasn't the Necron Battlefleet Gothic gimmick "we chain a bunch of lances together to make a super-lance to one-shot your battleship and then leave the board immediately because that means we'll win on points"?

Pretty much, yeah. They're intentionally designed to be fundamentally overpowered. Their ships are the best at almost everything, with no meaningful weaknesses. Faster than Eldar, more resilient than Space Marines, better weapons than pretty much anybody, and even very good boarding because why the hell not. The supposed balancing factor was that they'd grant a huge amount of victory points if you did manage to destroy them. So if you'd manage to kill at least a single cruiser in exchange for losing your entire fleet you might end up coming out ahead in points and nominally count it as a win.

So even if this were theoretically balanced (it was not), it made for brutally frustrating and unsatisfying actual gameplay. Nobody likes having to throw all their poo poo into a meatgrinder just to have a theoretical chance of maybe killing one or two enemy ships. And yeah, like you mentioned there's the issue with disengaging. Necrons can have any ship leave the battlefield safely in any turn, while other races need to pass a (potentially fairly difficult) test to make that happen. So the player would just need to keep the current victory point balance in mind, and the moment they're ahead they just press the "gently caress off" button and win immediately.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Olesh posted:

Given that it's being developed by the same people who did Mordheim, and I've heard generally negative things about it, I'm not holding my breath. I'd love for a good PC game implementation, especially since having the game engine taking care of bookkeeping would mean that playing a game from start to finish would be less of a time investment. The issues with Cyanide's version of Blood Bowl (and Blood Bowl 2) have to do with technical issues, bugginess, and their team release situation, because the games are otherwise faithful to the janky tabletop rules and everything plays out like it ought to on the tabletop. To the best of my knowledge, that's not really how things work in the PC Mordheim game.

Yeah, Mordheim was a major disappointment. Instead of sitting down, analysing the tabletop rules, and then figuring out how to best port their strengths to the digital side of things, they tried to reinvent the wheel from the ground up. Hell, Blood Bowl and BFG:A are very close to being 1:1 ports of the TT rules, and it worked out surprisingly well for them. But in Mordheim they hosed around with seemingly random mechanics and subsystems until they ended up with something that barely resembled the original game dynamics at all. In TT Mordheim, improving and customising your dudes was great because each level or piece of equipment offered a rather significant and chunky bonus that'd significantly influence how you'd best use them. In the adaption, you're juggling lovely +2% bonuses and have to contend with a host of trap options that effectively might as well do nothing at all. In TT, fights were quick, nasty, and decisive, often resolved in just a single turn or two. In the adaption, everybody has a big old HP buffer that turns combat into a slog of trading hits over and over until somebody finally has the grace to fall over.

I mean, it's not utterly terrible. You can wring a nonzero amount of fun out of it. But it's really not particularly good, and does not ever come close to the same kind of a quality adaption that BFG:A managed. So yeah, things aren't looking too good for that Necromunda adaption. Sure, there's always the outside chance that they may have learned their lesson and adjust their design philosophy, but as always, hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

Because GW loves Space Marines, the Ultramarines are the Best Marines™, and Robot Girlyman is the most Ultra of the Ultramarines, and the Primarch every other Marine wished their Primarch was like.

Yeah, that's what makes the whole thing a tad grating. For years, the whole Ynnead thing has been teased as basically the one possible thing that might allow the Eldar to have an actual victory. Their one chance at redemption, at saving the remnants of their doomed race and all that. Often it has been talked about as the final endgame of their faction, on a similar scale as the Emperor somehow being resurrected, or Chaos actually capturing Terra, or the Orks actually getting all their poo poo together in an unified waaagh.

Then it actually happens, and seemingly all it achieves is that they resurrect the most boring primarch of the most boring chapter of the most boring faction, so that he can go ahead and actually do something with it. "Here's you final moment of glory, and all it does is give the space marines a small bump so that they maybe do something."

Yes, it's me. I'm the guy annoyed about space elves. :goonsay:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

koolkevz666 posted:

Unless it is an STC for toothpaste or something silly. Remember each STC corresponds to certain piece of equipment and half the time they don't even know that it makes until they try and turn it on.

It may have changed in the meantime, but IIRC the term is often used for two separate things: A proper "full" STC was a computer system that contained basically all the combined technological knowledge and plans for everything ever. You could basically go up there, tell it you want to build a bunch of tanks but only have wood and granite as your resources, and it'd spit out detailed schematics and step-by-step guides on how to do the whole thing from the bottom up. Kind of like a ridiculously advanced wikihow, except actually useful. Each colony would have at least one of those, allowing them to quickly build up with minimal previous know-how required.

Now, all of those full STCs are assumed to be lost forever. What does however survive are hard copies of individual schematics and plans found within them, which are also called STCs for some reason. These may just be fairly simple things, such as blueprints for an advanced combat knife. There are a fair few of these scattered around, and not all of them are actually useful to the Imperium. Some have been found detailing powerful warmachines, but the AdMech has no idea how to even begin building them. Imagine finding the construction specs and blueprints for a modern computer, while you don't even have the infrastructure to produce simple transistors.

Edit: Sometimes the STCs also incorporate automated factories. So you'd just dial in what you want, throw in a bunch of requested raw materials in one end, and receive a shiny new tank out the other. Presumably the original full STCs also had that functionality, making them even more valuable.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 8, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

radintorov posted:

I disagree with the Dominator being a ship that needs to stay away from battle: 8 Macro-Cannons per side give it a lot of punch for its size.
Granted, up close the Nova Cannon is a bit unwieldy to bring to bear if the ship is in a duel, but in a normal battle, there will be a target that is outside minimum range that can be reached with a quick turn.

Edit: also yay, the Eldars are here! Time to murder them all! :black101:
(hopefully better than this last mission :v: )

Honestly, if there was a ship that had the Dominator's broadside but combined with regular torpedoes, I'd slam pick that fucker every time. I actually end up taking the Tyrant occasionally because it's such a delicious brawling combination, but loss of some dakka compared to the Dominator always hurts just a bit.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, to my recollection the devs have stated that they'd absolutely love to include all the remaining Tabletop fleets as well. The question is just whether whoever decides such things (The publisher, I guess? Or perhaps GW?) gives the go-ahead.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Arashiofordo3 posted:

They did already get the Tau fleets. Which I'll admit was a bit of a surprise when there are other, more interesting fleets. Unless they're just simpler to program because all they do is shoot.

Yeah, I imagine the reason Tau were chosen is because they're a fairly conventional fleet. You don't really need a whole lot in terms of unique mechanics for them, just plug in the ships's stats and you're more or less good to go.

By comparison, Tyranids are quite a bit more exotic, having a number of unique mechanics that would need fine-tuning for the adaption. Stuff like giant claws to hold enemy ships in close contact or the whole thing with the instinctual behaviour. Not to mention that they'd probably need a whole lot of effort in the graphical department to convey the whole biological thing. And Necrons would probably just need a major conceptual overhaul and rebalancing to make them not an utter chore to play against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The Door Frame posted:

It's basically the only way they could think to nerf the unstoppable Necron threat while still having them be overpowered in combat. I remember monkeystomping my brother's Catachan IG army in the 40k tabletop, but he'd kill just enough Necrons to force me to warp out and lose. It was so frustrating to instantly lose a battle that I was clearly winning

Yeah, the whole "overpowered but extremely cautious" approach may seem unique and lore-appropriate at first, but in practice it usually just encourages tedious or frustrating gameplay. I'd rather they just found another gimmick for them. Which might be something of a struggle, since most of the obvious niches in BFG are already occupied. Their main deal is incredible resilience, but that's kind of difficult to balance in a way that's still fun for all involved.

• Locked thread