Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

Highwang deserved it because he was playing the game as cautiously as possible, Herpicle is playing the game as God intended, i.e. Full Speed Ahead. :colbert:

I stopped reading Eisenhorn after the prostitute who is physically repulsive due to her mental powers (and yet earns a living as a prostitute) develops a taste for poetry and tries to protect a member of the team from a huge monster five minutes after being recruited. She also manages to con Eisenhorn's nemesis into revealing his plans, which is a tall order considering he's supposed to be a master manipulator and cult leader himself.

And maybe she is supposed to be painful to be around if you're a psychic, which the bad guy is? I'm not sure.

Not physically repulsive. She's a blank psychically speaking, and most every human in the galaxy has some form of psychic resonance. Basically she was that person who was good for about a day, then everything about them started to rub you EXACTLY the wrong way causing you to hate them more and more. So spending one night with her as a hooker would be fine, but any amount longer than that and she'd start to rankle. Blanks are terrifyingly powerful and valued by the inquisition because they can undo everything chaos throws at them magically.

Like "Hey, getting attacked by psychic lightning? Let the blank handle it!" Jurgen from Caiaphas Cain is probably the quintessential example of the type... being able to make Greater Daemons evaporate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Honestly, data retrieval isn't that big of a deal for me. It's just you have to basically send a pile of light cruisers in to help you out for speed. Catch them, board, turn and burn.

Depending on the fight, if you take a larger ship, you burn to many points on something that can't catch your opponent.

I am just TERRIBLE at convoy missions.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

No love for the Bloody Magpies?

Mostly because my primary exposure to the Marines is video games. And a few of the books (Soul Drinkers, Space Wolves and Ultramarines Omnibusses sit next to 8 Ghosts books and every Cain book... some of them doubled up)

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZBAJee3JK8

An image from Herp's ship crews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekJO5zlTMEI
or that.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Cathode Raymond posted:

This news about DoW 3 bums me out, because I just recently got a new desktop to run games like DoW 3 that my work laptop can't handle, but I had assumed (optimistically) from glancing at previews that DoW 3 would incorporate the best parts of the first two, because I loved both those games for different reasons.

Doesn't bum me out that much though. At least now I won't have to play Total Warhammer at 1280 windowed resolution or whatever I was doing to get it to run smooth.

From what little I've played of the campaign... it basically does what you're saying (incorporates pieces of both) but in the worst way possible. It's also kinda like Red Alert 3 in that many of the units (although not all of them) have a special ability that is attached, meaning that you're gonna need to be APM'ing and keeping VERY good track of the battlefield to take full advantage of the situation.

I liked DoW2 personally, because it seemed to catch the basic idea of it's main protagonists (the Marines) in that a single squad could win an entire planet. So every unit and ability felt more meaningful.

Admittedly I'm only on level 3 of the campaign, but this also brings up the other major issues with DOW3. You don't get to settle into a faction and figure it out before they jump you to another faction. The first three levels have been tutorials for each race rather than actually letting me feel like I'm learning their system.

• Locked thread