Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best In The South
This poll is closed.
Atlanta Falcons 33 16.92%
Carolina Panthers 42 21.54%
New Orleans Saints 42 21.54%
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 17 8.72%
You All Suck 61 31.28%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Nystral posted:

Speaking of the Saints I lost track but wasn't the owner and his kids fighting over the team or something like that. The wife / stepmom was the crux of the argument IIRC but gently caress if I know anything beyond that.

Theoretically settling but it hasn't been made final yet. Article says that the stepmom is ultimately going to get control.
http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2016/11/settlement_in_benson_family_la.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Honestly I'd be pretty happy with a Super Bowl loss after what the Bucs have been through in recent memory, excluding this year.

Progress!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I'd rather not join the SuperBowl losers club like some other teams in the division.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

big money big clit posted:

I'd rather not join the SuperBowl losers club like some other teams in the division.

We're hoping to reverse our fortunes in a little over a week, ok? :(

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

We can't be, we've already won one!

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Nystral posted:

I'm ok with this on,y as long as Brees retires after winning and Payton leaves the organization.

Speaking of the Saints I lost track but wasn't the owner and his kids fighting over the team or something like that. The wife / stepmom was the crux of the argument IIRC but gently caress if I know anything beyond that.

They kids sued the father/stepmom to try to have their father declared mentally unfit to make decisions, because they were pissed that he cut them off and made her the sole beneficiary of his estate.

It's the plot of a Law and Order episode, except the dad isn't actually mentally unfit, his kids are just lovely.

Serotonin posted:

I'm new to the NFL and I'm here for gentle ribbing and mockery as a Falcons fan. As a British soccer fan I'm used to stabbings from rival supporters so this all seems very civilised

Funny how that works out, isn't it?

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 27, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chilichimp posted:

It's the plot of a Law and Order episode, except the dad isn't actually mentally unfit, his kids are just lovely.

I have trouble thinking he's all there, but then again I've been thinking this for like 20 years.

Is there a good read somewhere on why his wife is right and the kids are wrong?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

It's 18 months old now, but:
This might help

tl;dr: By a score of two to one, Benson is only showing mild cognitive impairment!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Serotonin posted:

I'm new to the NFL and I'm here for gentle ribbing and mockery as a Falcons fan. As a British soccer fan I'm used to stabbings from rival supporters so this all seems very civilised

Eh, I may hate the Falcons, but there's no sense in stabbing someone over it. ;) Life's too short. Plus, the current Falcons posters are all pretty cool.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

2018 season Super Bowl. Saints are next season.

I will ignore your other post and go woohoo!

To be fair, the Saints and Bucs are the only NFC teams that are undefeated in the Super Bowl.

AFC: Ravens, Jets.

It's an exclusive club.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Silly Burrito posted:

To be fair, the Saints and Bucs are the only NFC teams that are undefeated in the Super Bowl.

AFC: Ravens, Jets.

It's an exclusive club.

Exactly. I want to keep that 100% SuperBowl win percentage.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I'm feeling a bit like a glory hunter currently having picked the Falcons to support. Everyone in the Newbie thread at the end of last season warned me I was setting myself up for disappointment, which being a life long West Ham fan, I was totally at home with.

Weirdly I came close to picking the Bucs but Jesus that font they use on their shirt grosses me out. I'm hoping to get tickets to see the Saints in London next year just for some South solitary.

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

Serotonin posted:

I'm feeling a bit like a glory hunter currently having picked the Falcons to support. Everyone in the Newbie thread at the end of last season warned me I was setting myself up for disappointment, which being a life long West Ham fan, I was totally at home with.

Weirdly I came close to picking the Bucs but Jesus that font they use on their shirt grosses me out. I'm hoping to get tickets to see the Saints in London next year just for some South solitary.

Now remember that the saints are like tottenhan to you.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Jerome Agricola posted:

Now remember that the saints are like tottenhan to you.

Oh god.
Actually I'm struggling to get my head round the concept of rivalries in the NFL. I get we are all in the same division but then again so are 18 other teams in the EPL but Id only describe a handful as 'rivals' to West Ham and they are pretty much just the local clubs in London such as Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal etc. I'm probably missing all sorts of historical and cultural contexts as a Brit.

The only teams I hate are the Patriots and the Broncos and that stems back to my childhood in the 80s when I briefly followed NFL when it first came to British tv. Both are massively popular in the UK in the same way Man Utd and Chelsea are massively popular in the US. Glory hunters.

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jan 28, 2017

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Serotonin posted:

Oh god.
Actually I'm struggling to get my head round the concept of rivalries in the NFL. I get we are all in the same division but then again so are 18 other teams in the EPL but Id only describe a handful as 'rivals' to West Ham and they are pretty much just the local clubs in London such as Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal etc. I'm probably missing all sorts of historical and cultural contexts as a Brit.

The only teams I hate are the Patriots and the Broncos and that stems back to my childhood in the 80s when I briefly followed NFL when it first came to British tv. Both are massively popular in the UK in the same way Man Utd and Chelsea are massively popular in the US. Glory hunters.

The Bucs were basically supporting the Glazer family efforts to finance Man U during the first few years after the take over so gently caress Man U.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Nystral posted:

The Bucs were basically supporting the Glazer family efforts to finance Man U during the first few years after the take over so gently caress Man U.

gently caress the Bucs too then

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Serotonin posted:

Welcome friend:

http://www.atlantatimemachine.com/misc/falcon_fever.htm

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Serotonin posted:

Oh god.

Rivalries in the NFL are basically current division rivalries or historic division rivalries (the divisions have realigned several times as the league grew).

So you've got your Saints/Falcons, 49ers/Seahawks, Steelers/Ravens, Colts/Texans, etc.

Then there's "gently caress those guys" rivalries, where entire divisions just dogpile the success of the best team in their division. Examples include: Packers, Broncos, Patriots, and Steelers to some extent.

Then there's the NFC East and sort of the NFC South, wherein every team hates the others and we all take turns making GBS threads on whoever is on top... or on bottom... of on bye week. Who cares? The rivalries are goooooooooooooooooooood.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Serotonin posted:

gently caress the Glazers.

Every NFL owner is lovely, we care about the team/players.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Serotonin posted:

That hurts man. :(

The half of my post that I deleted before posting was about how I was going to move to London as a relocation pre-brexit, and that I had settled on West Ham as my EPL team, I was learning the words to Forever Blowing Bubbles. I had picked out a nice bit of kit that I was going to buy online and the move didn't happen and yeah :(

But you know poo poo happens.

I still follow the Hammers online through ESPN (dirty yank and all) but I'm not sure I understand the logo change and the Ray Parlour folk seem like a right bunch of twats when I peek in there so I never asked.

But yeah I guess gently caress the Bucs because the Glazers are a bunch of pricks who like having all the toys and I hope Man U has to fight regulation every year.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I feel bad now

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Serotonin posted:

I was probably one of the ones who warned you, lol. My heart and mind was in a good place my friend. I have been a Falcon's fan since 1989 when they drafted Deion Sanders and while there have been some really fun years, there has been a lot of pain and suffering.

This season has been something else though, you picked a great season to jump on board. The offense is hella fun to watch and seeing the defense literally learning how to play in the NFL before your eyes has been p cool.

1 week!

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

weird Asian candy posted:

I was probably one of the ones who warned you, lol. My heart and mind was in a good place my friend. I have been a Falcon's fan since 1989 when they drafted Deion Sanders and while there have been some really fun years, there has been a lot of pain and suffering.

This season has been something else though, you picked a great season to jump on board. The offense is hella fun to watch and seeing the defense literally learning how to play in the NFL before your eyes has been p cool.

1 week!

Cant wait, have taken the next day off work to recover because it will be gone 3am GMT by the time its all over. Will be wearing my lucky Freeman shirt.

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
My first season as a football fan was the magical 98 season of the Falcons. I was obviously hooked. I was so excited for the next season and had a big party for the season opener the next year where they would surely keep on rolling and this time win the Super Bowl.

And then Jamal Anderson fell apart and the team went to poo poo and I realized "ohhhh so this is what the Falcons really are."

Been hooked ever since and I don't know how I'll handle a Super Bowl win.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Just watched Gleason on Amazon Prime. drat good movie, but it sure isn't a feel good movie. :(

It's astounding how fast his ALS progressed. I knew of it vaguely, but seeing it is a whole different thing.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

dont hate the playa posted:

My first season as a football fan was the magical 98 season of the Falcons. I was obviously hooked. I was so excited for the next season and had a big party for the season opener the next year where they would surely keep on rolling and this time win the Super Bowl.

And then Jamal Anderson fell apart and the team went to poo poo and I realized "ohhhh so this is what the Falcons really are."

Been hooked ever since and I don't know how I'll handle a Super Bowl win.

On the bright side it isn't something you'll have to worry about.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

oldskool posted:

On the bright side it isn't something you'll have to worry about.

gently caress you, Pats apologist.

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

weird Asian candy posted:

This and the shift in attitude from the staff and out of the locker room. This team is like no other Falcons team I have seen, and I have been a fan since the late 70's. The Grits Blitz, to challenging the Bucs to being the worst team in the league, to Glanville's wreckless gunslinging, Reeves' overly conservative stint, and finally Smith's frustration. I feel like Quinn and crew have the right answer.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Look, can this not be the "good feelings about the Birds" thread?

I'm not sure I can take positivity about the Falcons from this subforum in my life right now.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I'm getting good feels from the sport in general. I'm aware this is gloriously naive but I feel utterly burned out on the EPL/FIFA etc and I've loved pretty much everything about getting in to it. Sure, my lucky pick of choosing the Falcons to support has helped that good feeling and I'm probably missing the cynical dark core that inevitably sits at the bottom of all professional sport but let this naive British newbie have his moment.

By next season close, I'm sure I will be bitter and miserable.

Dodadoodoo
Jun 15, 2007
Do you have a dad? I wanna meet that dad.
I'm a neurology resident at one of the biggest ALS centers in the country and his ALS has progressed slow if anything. It's the shittiest of lovely diseases and he has brought so much awareness and research money to the disease. I always get a little misty seeing replays of the blocked punt and then thinking about how lovely his life has become 10 or so years later.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

Look, can this not be the "good feelings about the Birds" thread?

I'm not sure I can take positivity about the Falcons from this subforum in my life right now.

Embrace it man! When was the last time you can say you were this confident in a Falcon's team? I can't even remember it's been so long. I feel like this team would blow up the 2012 team that almost made the SB. I mean, trust me I get the hesitation, but enjoy the ride my friend!

Your angst will have no bearing on the outcome of the SB, so may as well just enjoy it while it lasts. We have 4 more quarters and then a loooooooooong offseason.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
The only good feeling I could possibly get from this season is the schadenfreude of a Falcons loss, but that would entail a Patriots win. Sean Payton is Still the coach, they hired loving Tomsula, and Brees' prime has been frittered away in a parade of 7 - 9 years. gently caress this gay Earth.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

A.o.D. posted:

The only good feeling I could possibly get from this season is the schadenfreude of a Falcons loss, but that would entail a Patriots win. Sean Payton is Still the coach, they hired loving Tomsula, and Brees' prime has been frittered away in a parade of 7 - 9 years. gently caress this gay Earth.

Tomsula went to Washington.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Plus a Superbowl Win >

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

The falcons are the team I hate least in the division, but I still don't know if I can support them to win a Super Bowl, even against the Pats. It would feel wrong to support a division rival. :(

As to the Bucs season, I was mostly pleased. Losing 2 of the last 3 wasn't the way to close a season but it was at the Cowboys and at the goddamn Saints :argh: so I can't be too hard on them. They definitely need to go hard on receivers in the draft. Adam Humphries and Russell Sheppard are not viable #2 targets and poor VJAX is a pile of bone dust at this point. I'm also not sold that Brate is a long term answer at TE, but he definitely deserves a shot to show he is. Doug Martin having another poo poo, injury plagued year was the difference maker between making the playoffs and not this year I think. The Bucs had one of the worst running games in the league and still managed to win 9. Jameis also needs to cut down on turnovers because goddamn does that get old fast. Other than that, this year was a positive step forward, especially for the defense. All hail Mike Smith, pbuh.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Glad he's coaching again. He doesn't get enough credit for bringing a winning culture to atlanta.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Chilichimp posted:

Glad he's coaching again. He doesn't get enough credit for bringing a winning culture to atlanta.

Smith (well, Michael Turner) took the Falcons to the playoffs his first season, one year after Vick went to prison and Bobby Petrino Bobby Petrino'd. That's not nothing.

He was easily mockable because he subscribed to the usual boring, ploddy, runny, punty NFL game management done by so many others. I mean, his name was "Mike Smith" even. But he did the franchise good.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

D.N. Nation posted:

Smith (well, Michael Turner) took the Falcons to the playoffs his first season, one year after Vick went to prison and Bobby Petrino Bobby Petrino'd. That's not nothing.

He was easily mockable because he subscribed to the usual boring, ploddy, runny, punty NFL game management done by so many others. I mean, his name was "Mike Smith" even. But he did the franchise good.

Mike Smith will pick the bar up, correct any dents or imperfections, place the bar back in it's rightful place, take 50 steps back and run up to the bar with all he has only to clip it with his toe before falling flat on his face.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mike Smith wouldn't swear. That's hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

ulmont posted:

Tomsula went to Washington.

oh thank god.

but they picked up Mike Nolan.

• Locked thread