Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best In The South
This poll is closed.
Atlanta Falcons 33 16.92%
Carolina Panthers 42 21.54%
New Orleans Saints 42 21.54%
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 17 8.72%
You All Suck 61 31.28%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I didn't know this thread existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Joey Freshwater posted:

Yeah we didn't want you to know which is why no one told you :getout:

counterpoint: :getin:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

marioinblack posted:

Aww yeah, ain't no party like a red state party. Go Bucs.

I guess I'll root for Atlanta, but only because Julio Jones has ascended to a higher plane.

How can a man be both a speedster and a possession receiver? He's undeniable.

Im excited to see what Evans becomes over the next few years.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Nystral posted:

I'm ok with this on,y as long as Brees retires after winning and Payton leaves the organization.

Speaking of the Saints I lost track but wasn't the owner and his kids fighting over the team or something like that. The wife / stepmom was the crux of the argument IIRC but gently caress if I know anything beyond that.

They kids sued the father/stepmom to try to have their father declared mentally unfit to make decisions, because they were pissed that he cut them off and made her the sole beneficiary of his estate.

It's the plot of a Law and Order episode, except the dad isn't actually mentally unfit, his kids are just lovely.

Serotonin posted:

I'm new to the NFL and I'm here for gentle ribbing and mockery as a Falcons fan. As a British soccer fan I'm used to stabbings from rival supporters so this all seems very civilised

Funny how that works out, isn't it?

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 27, 2017

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Serotonin posted:

Oh god.
Actually I'm struggling to get my head round the concept of rivalries in the NFL. I get we are all in the same division but then again so are 18 other teams in the EPL but Id only describe a handful as 'rivals' to West Ham and they are pretty much just the local clubs in London such as Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal etc. I'm probably missing all sorts of historical and cultural contexts as a Brit.

The only teams I hate are the Patriots and the Broncos and that stems back to my childhood in the 80s when I briefly followed NFL when it first came to British tv. Both are massively popular in the UK in the same way Man Utd and Chelsea are massively popular in the US. Glory hunters.

Rivalries in the NFL are basically current division rivalries or historic division rivalries (the divisions have realigned several times as the league grew).

So you've got your Saints/Falcons, 49ers/Seahawks, Steelers/Ravens, Colts/Texans, etc.

Then there's "gently caress those guys" rivalries, where entire divisions just dogpile the success of the best team in their division. Examples include: Packers, Broncos, Patriots, and Steelers to some extent.

Then there's the NFC East and sort of the NFC South, wherein every team hates the others and we all take turns making GBS threads on whoever is on top... or on bottom... of on bye week. Who cares? The rivalries are goooooooooooooooooooood.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

oldskool posted:

On the bright side it isn't something you'll have to worry about.

gently caress you, Pats apologist.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Look, can this not be the "good feelings about the Birds" thread?

I'm not sure I can take positivity about the Falcons from this subforum in my life right now.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Glad he's coaching again. He doesn't get enough credit for bringing a winning culture to atlanta.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

Gotta say I'm ok with it if this is how it has to happen.

Lol

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
gently caress all of you.

That is all.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

FINGERBLASTER69 posted:

What's up 0-2 in super bowls bros

:hfive:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

Most Falcons fans just started cheering for the team over the last two months. They're the ones that have a Deion sanders cowboys jersey in their closet, or just go to the Georgia dome to talk about UGA, or moved to Atlanta from somewhere else and just got caught up in the hype.

The actual, real rear end Atlanta sports fans, the kind that bought MLS tickets or go to hawks games or rightfully boycotted the braves after they announced the move.... they all knew this was coming.

All Atlanta does is lose championships. The city needed the literally greatest pitching staff of all time just to beat goddamn Cleveland, and still managed to lose a poo poo load of World Series.

Being an Atlanta sports fan is suffering.

He's right, I knew we were gonna lose yesterday morning.

Reason? I couldn't picture myself celebrating a Superbowl win... but in true Falcons fashion, they made me believe right up until the end. Honestly, it just feels like the capstone of 2016 for me. Just the worst goddamn year.

edit:

gently caress you, Fiz, your words hurt, man :cry:

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Feb 6, 2017

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

Nah you got it. It was real stupid.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

Seahawks fans were asking themselves something very similar two Super Bowls ago. Hindsight and all that, but yeah, that's exactly what they should have done. Shanahan got cute.

I really don't give a poo poo what they thought, given that they won rings 3 superbowls ago.

weird Asian candy posted:

It's honestly making me rethink why I allow myself to be so invested in a football team that it can allow me to feel the way I feel right now. I feel like I just lost a family member, and it's just not right. It's a freaking football game. Gah, I hate this.

You'll get over it.

Just self deprecate hard for a few weeks and we'll be back to our chipper "no hope" selves until we prattle off some retarded win streak next season and blow a humongous lead in the post season.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

DNS posted:

Dude they'll never be back. This was it, this was the window. Time to get really into the Hawks until their 1st round exit

I can't wait until you go away.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

RumbleFish posted:

I'm relieved the Panthers didn't become the Eagles of the NFCS. And as much as I hated suffering through our Super Bowl loss last year, it was kind of a boring and forgettable game overall. It's not really going to stand out in Super Bowl history. I have no idea how Falcons fans, players, etc. come back from last night, especially since with it being the first overtime Super Bowl AND the biggest comeback, it's gonna stay on NFL highlight reels forever.

The Falcons are now the Titans 2.0 with a brand new multi-billion dollar stadium.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

I'm glad it happened and hope they feel bad.

I hope you develop a wheat allergy.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I mean, Joe-bags... I don't wish him or any of you any real harm.

But Fiz is a giant wet blanket, so I'm fine with him having some weird dietary concern forever.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Also, I'll get you that cert soon, when I feel like not being dead for a period of longer than like 20 minutes.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

The Big Jesus posted:

As a fan of the titans and Falcons, this one hurt much more.

I mean... version 2 is an improvement on the original... just in this case, it's an improvement in shittiness.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

SHOAH NUFF posted:

what does this mean, why did you say this

is the Falcons next OC Chip Kelly?

There have been rumors...

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
The Chip Kelly Redemption campaign begins: NAU!

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

MJBuddy posted:

The problem with great guys at market value is that you can't win poo poo with them if you don't have great guys on their rookie deals. You can basically judge every team in the NFL on if they hosed up the market value of their veterans or were able to backfill their team with cheap talent from the draft or UDFAs.

See: Seahawks defense and Russell Wilson until they all got paid and turned into pumpkins.

I think Atlanta looks promising for next year, but it's not clear that they'll remain the best team in the South with their bad defense and O-Line that scrapped together a good season out of no where after years of falling over themselves (see: Panthers). Then there's the matter of the rest of the NFC not rolling over.

Nah, our line is good right now because of alex mack. We could use better guards and a good reserve tackle.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

My body is ready

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Forgive me for asking but why do Saints fans despise the Falcons so much?

Its mutual, and the saints and Falcons have been division rivals for decades.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
eh, hating Elway and the Broncos goes far beyond whatever dumb division rivalry the birds have with a team not called the Saints.

I wanted Peyton to fail.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

Yo gently caress the birds. Is it our turn to win the division next year?

My dad's response to the Pats winning was that Drew Brees should be more like that Tom Brady and take a pay cut so we can build a team again. I think that works for the Pats because Brady knows his organization will make smart moves with the extra money and he'll come out ahead by being the best ever. If Brees took a pay cut, they'd just spend the extra money on a 45-year-old linebacker with knee problems.

That and his wife is loving GIZELLE

Tom Brady's earning potential is measured in greatness, not dollars. He lost the "breadwinner" label a long time ago.

Apparently whoever it is, Quinn is unwilling to change the scheme so they will need to pickup and run Shanahan's system so the offense doesn't need to start from scratch again. We will see.

Interesting... I'm guessing it'll be one of the assistants, then.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 7, 2017

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

That is what I am guessing. LaFleur, McDaniel or Morris, though I heard Shanahan was going to try and poach McDaniel. I would assume we would hear something pretty soon.

e:

https://twitter.com/alexmarvez/status/828740983453986816

And just to add to the confusion...

https://twitter.com/MaioccoCSN/status/828750585344045057

We'd have to allow him to take someone. The Seahawks only allowed DQ to take 1 assistant with him, and we might extend the same courtesy... or tell him to go gently caress himself.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

huh?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Welp, looks like we're letting Shanny take McDaniel and Lafluer

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2017/2/7/14532838/kyle-shanahan-49ers-mike-mcdaniel-mike-lafleur-atlanta-falcons

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
This is only a story... because the "lovely atlanta fan" narrative. And it's only funny because it's obviously not fair weather in that photo.

How many teams returning to their practice facility in the middle of bum gently caress nowhere get a welcoming committee after LOSING the super bowl?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Man, parades in New Orleans are unheard of too.

Falcons arrived home in the middle of a work day, national narrative "Where are all the Falcons fans to welcome home their team?"

Look, look... like... a few dozen panthers fans showed up in the evening to welcome home the panthers when they lost!

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 8, 2017

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

what were people in flowery branch busy doing? was the line at the welfare office especially long that day or something?

I know it's hard to imagine, but... the Georgia suburbs aren't filled with welfare queens. :jerkbag:

In fact, neither is Atlanta, but good luck convincing white flight dipshits that their city isn't falling into poo poo.

edit:

Upon further consideration: referring to Flowery Branch as a suburb of Atlanta is kind of inaccurate. That town is a stones throw from Gainsville ffs. I bet every god drat person in Flowery branch is a Bulldogs fan.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 8, 2017

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Flowery Branch might be meth riddled, but it's also not really "Atlanta".

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Check your PM's Joey Freshwater.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Joey Freshwater posted:

Thanks dude

Now I just have to come up with something new to replace my current avatar...

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Joey Freshwater posted:

poo poo thats good but I really don't like Jameis and would rather not have him as my avatar if I can avoid it.

Igotchufam

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

DNS posted:

I've been looking at that all morning and trying to figure out who the guy on the right is supposed to be. I'm just gonna settle for Derek Luke and move on

I think it's supposed to be Mohammad Sanu.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

It's obviously Arthur Black.

ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006