Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best In The South
This poll is closed.
Atlanta Falcons 33 16.92%
Carolina Panthers 42 21.54%
New Orleans Saints 42 21.54%
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 17 8.72%
You All Suck 61 31.28%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

The falcons are the team I hate least in the division, but I still don't know if I can support them to win a Super Bowl, even against the Pats. It would feel wrong to support a division rival. :(

As to the Bucs season, I was mostly pleased. Losing 2 of the last 3 wasn't the way to close a season but it was at the Cowboys and at the goddamn Saints :argh: so I can't be too hard on them. They definitely need to go hard on receivers in the draft. Adam Humphries and Russell Sheppard are not viable #2 targets and poor VJAX is a pile of bone dust at this point. I'm also not sold that Brate is a long term answer at TE, but he definitely deserves a shot to show he is. Doug Martin having another poo poo, injury plagued year was the difference maker between making the playoffs and not this year I think. The Bucs had one of the worst running games in the league and still managed to win 9. Jameis also needs to cut down on turnovers because goddamn does that get old fast. Other than that, this year was a positive step forward, especially for the defense. All hail Mike Smith, pbuh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

The Bucs definitely need receivers more than anything else. Ideally a speedy deep threat DeSean Jackson type to pair with big Mike. Safety is a need too but the secondary was actually decent last year despite playing Chris Conte and Bradley MacDougald for most of the year. I also have doubts that Tandy can sustain the level of play he had over the last 5 games or so considering his career to date but safety isn't really a game changer position and as long as VH3 continues to develop and Grimes doesn't fall off a cliff they can afford to wait a little on safety. It might not be a bad idea to pick up another pass rusher early too. Ayers was adequate and Spence showed potential when he wasn't injured but neither are sure things and you can never have too many pass rushers.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0628981327361741512-4

Enjoy your gently used, 35-year-old Defensive Tackle, Buccs goons.

If he wants to ride our bench for a few mil a year in case one of our starting DTs gets injured I'm all for it. Veteran rotational players are always valuable.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Now that John Ross is probably off the board by the time the Bucs pick comes around, I wouldn't mind trading that #19 pick for Cooks. But I doubt the Saints will deal him in division.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Lmao at Giraffe American Mike Glennon going to the bears for 14.5 mil a year.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Big Mike is a fine enough placeholder until you get a real QB. He won't lose you too many games but man you better have a line, cause he cannot run or even scramble. He's accurate though.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

I've been at work all day but apparently the Bucs are going to sign DeSean Jackson? Pretty sweet. He's getting a little long in the tooth for a speedster receiver but hopefully he still has 2-3 years left of his peak.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

I mean, I'm not saying that he'll be great or even good, so I don't know if that's defending him. I just think it's a little ridiculous the way everyone has been making GBS threads all over him like he's the worst QB ever and that the deal he got was some huge mistake. He accounts for so little of the cap because of the increases in yearly numbers. 15m/year isn't the same as it used to be. He was mediocre on some loving awful teams. The kid went through like 3 head coaches and 6 offensive coordinators in 4 years.

I just think it's a little premature to call him a bust, or at least go so over the top like people have been doing, but I guess that's how things go here.

I cheered for Giraffe Man when he was with the Bucs, and always thought we had a top 5 backup the past two years, but now he's on another team so I can't exactly say I wish for him to be a superstar. He was fine for the situation he had to deal with, which as you've explained, was extremely lovely, but he's taken 11 real snaps in the past two years and hasn't exactly lit the world on fire in preseason games either so its hard to predict what he's become. People are right to be skeptical.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

He wasn't mediocre he was pretty Bad.

He wasn't actually that bad.

Over 18 career starts

TD-INT 30–15
Passing yards: 4,100
Passer rating: 84.6

And that was with some of the worst offensive coordinators ever seen in football. The knock is no one's seen him play real football in 2 years.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

Skeptical sure but if you've read these boards and people's opinions and seen "skeptical" then I must be reading it completely wrong.

I'm skeptical he'll do well. You seem to be. Everyone else I've read has already written him off and awful and should be removed from the league.

Like I said, I've been at work all day so I haven't read any comments sections or other boards but people always over react to poo poo, especially in the offseason, you know that.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

wandler20 posted:

Bucs resigned Conte. Ugh. Fine. Whatever.

Hopefully for depth and they either go after someone in FA or draft someone. Other than a few plays against the Bears he was very not good last year.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/839940686237560837

probably too much but they have 70 million in cap space and he's probably going to be their biggest acquisition.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/839944681437921280

Okay, I'm a fan of this deal.

They also signed DT Chris Baker for 3 years at 6 per.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

When will people learn to not deal with the loving Patriots. I can't think of one deal made with them that ended up well for the trade partner.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Boooo :mad:

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Grimes was excellent last year (led NFL in passes defended) but he's like 35 now so that could fall apart at any moment. Miko wasn't a problem at all from what I can recall. Sherm is still probably very good, but he's a heck of a headache and our defensive leader is happy warrior Gerald McCoy and I don't see that being compatible with Sherm's hyperagressive attitude.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

lol Gerald is such a nice guy I remember when he got poo poo from Schiano for helping up opposing players after the play was over.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

https://soundcloud.com/user237822301/schianhole

RIP Nrr :(

At least we'll always have the music.

Schiano was one of the hugest turds to ever coach in the NFL. Just a poo poo human being.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

loving Christ, he was talented.

gently caress this gay earth.

Just found his Watersfalls cover about The Chip Kelly Eagles.

Nrr was a treasure. I recommend his 9 minute Browns themed cover of Don McLean's American Pie.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

WampaLord posted:

So I generally don't follow the NFL during offseason, but overall it seems like the Bucs made a lot of good moves, am I right to be optimistic for next year?

They made two very good pickups in Jackson and Baker and resigned a bunch of their own promising players and didn't overpay for anyone so it was a good free agency period on paper.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Serotonin posted:

I wish I had a clue about how the off season works. Feels like I'm missing out

What do you want to know?

Basically you can divide the off season into 5 parts. First from immediately following the super bowl until free agency is a mostly dead period where the only interesting things happening are players announcing retirement or getting arrested for doing stupid poo poo. Second you have free agency which begins with the official new league year. This is a time when free agents and unsigned players are able to negotiate with whichever team they wish to see if they can get paid a lot of money somewhere. The first 24 hours of free agency are especially exciting because most of the really good players get signed within that first 24 period. Third you have the time from after the first week of free agency until the NFL draft where everyone obsesses over who their team will draft and reads and makes 1000 mock drafts a day put out by "experts" who rarely make more than 20% correct selections in their analysis. After the Draft you have the second dead period where nothing really exciting happens except for maybe more arrests of players and this lasts until training camp begins, usually in July. Training camp and the preseason are the fifth period and they're mostly exciting for seeing which of your starters manages to get themselves seriously injured without playing a meaningful snap of football and if your quarterback reports to camp 30 pounds overweight. There's always some story about some scrappy undrafted free agent who's definitely going to make the team only to get cut in the first round of cuts too.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

WampaLord posted:

Yea, that, plus our surprisingly good last season, makes me optimistic we could maybe make the playoffs this year.

They should absolutely have the tools to make the playoffs at this point especially if the defense plays like it did over the second half of the season and the offense like it played over the first half, but recent history has been extremely unkind so I'm hesitant to feel optimistic. I'm definitely not despondent like during the last year of Raheem and all of Schiano though so there's that.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

An inveterate alcoholic in the drunkest city in North America. Sounds like a recipe for success to me, go for it Sean.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

All the belief in him in the world wasn't going to cure his rampant alcoholism/drug addiction. He was doomed from the start unless he addressed that, and it doesn't seem like he has.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

He's looking good, not fat at all and seems to be focused on the right things. If he could reduce his picks by half or at least a third we'll have an honest to God franchise quarterback.

Also want to pet that good dog.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Jesus

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Christian McCaffrey is a cutie, but I'm glad the Bucs got Howard. I was hoping for a receiver because behind Evans and Jackson (who has never played a full 16 game season as far as I know) the cupboard is full of spiders and ratshit, but the early run on receivers makes me think this was the right move. I just hope it doesn't turn into another Austin Sefarian-Jenkins situation.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Whoever the Bucs pay to run their social media needs a raise, lmao.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Goddamn do I want this hat. Its simply magnificent.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

This article is speaking to me. Matty Ice as most overvalued, Cam as 2nd most overvalued and Drew Brees as 4th most overvalued. That's some good poo poo.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

gently caress :mad:

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

breaky claimed the panthers drafted jimmy clause to stop the saints offense

there's that polish guy that's would post like 10 page insider articles about the bucs long snapper competition.

but yeah hoover was awful

t:mad: you can suck my balls fiz, if I want to post an excruciatingly detailed breakdown on the merits of Adrew DePaola vs Adrew Economos, I will.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

Im going to get my hopes up watching Hard Knocks then be horribly disappointed in the regular season aren't I?

If the offense doesn't work now it means we're loving cursed. Jameis has a lot of weapons, a developing but decent line and a third year of continuity with an offensive scheme. This is the year he should markedly improve so I'm the most hopeful I've been for a season since the early 2000s. It can still all go wrong, because it can always go wrong (unless your New England), but I think we're actually going to be good this year.

Please don't quote this in November when the Bucs are 4-6 coming out of the bye week.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

It was definitely time. lovely that it didn't work out, but better to put the whole thing behind them now instead of dragging it out into the 4th week of preseason.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

weird Asian candy posted:

I'm not even mad.

Its easy to see how extremely not mad you are, don't worry.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

The Bucs Dolphins game getting moved to week 11 is some extremely high grade bullshit. What the gently caress? What happened to player safety? Philly was available to host the game but gently caress it, let them play 16 straight weeks of football instead, thanks NFL!

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Shiki Dan posted:

It's the worst for the players and teams. It's actually the best for the owners and Miami stadium revenue.

That's my thinking too. Ross was unwilling to part with the gate so the players have to endanger their health so a loving billionaire scumfuck can rake in a few more million than he normally would.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

weird Asian candy posted:

Out of curiosity, what are the Bucs weaknesses in your opinion?

From an outsider's perspective, WR, TE, DLine/LB all big strengths. OLine/Secondary suspect. Jameis...who the hell knows.

Oline is fine but not great, but the secondary, especially the safety position is the real Achilles heel of this team. Any decent QB is probably going to torch the Bucs, especially if Grimes or Hargreaves gets injured. The pass rush is nothing to write home about either unless Spence can turn into something.

Also Jamies is never going to be Pey-pey or Brady or Rodgers, he's basically Brett Favre come back. A really tough guy who's incredibly competitive and who can scramble and extend plays like mad, but who will toss a bunch of INTs and drive you nuts.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

I know ya'll are just whistling past the graveyard with this constant pessimism but if you really think your team has no shot what's the point of watching football? I start every year thinking this is the year they get good, and since the Bucs are not the Browns, one of these years I'll be correct. I think its this year. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

I know its a mirage but the Bucs defense looks so so so good right now, lol.

• Locked thread