Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best In The South
This poll is closed.
Atlanta Falcons 33 16.92%
Carolina Panthers 42 21.54%
New Orleans Saints 42 21.54%
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 17 8.72%
You All Suck 61 31.28%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Alaois posted:

every team in this division sucks

Hello every team in this division!!!

DNS fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
I've lived in Atlanta since '86 and it's pretty crazy seeing the layers of jadedness peel off Falcons fans and give way to childlike exuberance. Falcons fans are like miserable divorcees who loudly vow never to love again, but once their defenses are down they're all gooey and nougatey.

The ability to lose to anyone has been a constant, unwavering aspect of the Falcons experience, but now they legitimately have the ability to beat anyone too. Haven't bought in like this since '98. All the Mike Smith playoff losses were agonizing, don't get me wrong, but the security blanket of skepticism was never far away, always knew that we weren't on the same talent/coaching tier as the conference's best. Even that 2012 team - those guys beat up on a lot of loser competition & had awful defensive talent that was propped up by Nolan's scheming. It sucked being a play away from the SB, it sucked having great Iceman performances ruined by a loser Abe-less D, but I never had that feeling of "THOSE were the guys who could've sealed the deal...."

That's not this team. They really belong on the field with anyone they play. And if they don't go to the Super Bowl, their loss won't have been an everyday Falcons eventuality - it will have been a miserable failure on the part of someone who could & should have done better. The next 17 hours is gonna be the longest wait of my life

Plus we have this totally non-cursed athlete endorsing us

https://twitter.com/ATLHawks/status/823003064324001793

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

big money big clit posted:

gently caress the Falcons and all, but their current team is actually pretty likable and the offense is very fun to watch.

I hate myself for saying this but I hope the Saints keep it together for a couple more seasons so we can keep getting these shootouts twice a year.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9MQAD1Luo

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Serotonin posted:

I'm feeling a bit like a glory hunter currently having picked the Falcons to support. Everyone in the Newbie thread at the end of last season warned me I was setting myself up for disappointment, which being a life long West Ham fan, I was totally at home with.

Weirdly I came close to picking the Bucs but Jesus that font they use on their shirt grosses me out. I'm hoping to get tickets to see the Saints in London next year just for some South solitary.

Welcome friend:

http://www.atlantatimemachine.com/misc/falcon_fever.htm

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

marioinblack posted:

Best remembered for giving up the first Bucs kick return TD. It's still one of my top 5 Bucs memories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7bBvQP3v8k

That's undercover Buccaneer Michael Koenen.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

weird Asian candy posted:

It's honestly making me rethink why I allow myself to be so invested in a football team that it can allow me to feel the way I feel right now. I feel like I just lost a family member, and it's just not right. It's a freaking football game. Gah, I hate this.

I feel traumatized and I have no idea how to find catharsis for this. I know Titans fans who still can't bear to look at Kevin Dyson stretching for the goalline and this is like 100x worse. The Falcons set the new gold standard for losing and have wiped every other defining moment of their 51 year old franchise off the board and replaced them all with this. I don't... I don't think I'll even be able to shittalk Panthers fans over SB 50 anymore. It's hard to imagine something other than a team plane crashing or a shock overnight relocation being more traumatic to a fanbase, even one as accustomed to disappointment as Atlanta. Because this isn't plain old Atlanta sports team disappointment, the kind the Hawks/Braves/Falcons treat us to every year. This is some knife twisting, opening the box from Hellraiser, Cleveland and Buffalo poo poo.

I can't really even pillory anyone for it. Shanahan's the closest thing to a villain, and we aren't even in the game without him. Ryan held onto the ball too long, but the guy put up a 144 passer rating while possessing the ball for like 20 minutes. Freeman didn't pick up Hightower, but the guy ran his rear end off the rest of the night. Quinn should've pushed KS to run more, but he got the defense to play WAY above their heads until their legs gave out. I guess I'll settle for hating the Patriots with every fiber of my being but WAIT I was doing that already

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
Game comes down to these for me:

https://twitter.com/TonyDungy/status/828439931181740033
https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/828484706018721793

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

See, I can't hate the Pats. My hate is directed at Atlanta right now. The Pats came back and won, you have to give them credit for that. They took advantage of a team on the ropes that never should have been on the ropes in the first place. I tip my cap to the Patriots and when I can fully digest this and take a step back to look at it without all the emotion I am feeling right now, this will go down as one of the best superbowls ever. As much as it hurts, it really was. Atlanta blew it, plain and simple. Hate them, not the greatest coach and QB ever for taking advantage of them blowing it.

That said, these guys are young and the Falcons are going to be a force in the NFC for at least the near future. What sucks is you never know when you will be back, if ever, unless you are the Patriots :smith:

Dude they'll never be back. This was it, this was the window. Time to get really into the Hawks until their 1st round exit

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Chilichimp posted:

I can't wait until you go away.

Why

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
I recently posted something like "I'd love to see what Kelly does as an OC for someone!" so i guess now i have to put my money where my mouth is.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
Sark... jesus christ. I was really hoping for McDaniel or LaFleur. I'm glad Quinn has an eye on continuity, but it's interesting that he's letting go of all the guys who have been coaching Shanny's system for years... I would've thought he'd want guys around who know all the coaching points and nuances of the offense, because I'm sure there's gonna be at least a couple new faces when training camp comes around. Maybe he's confident that the rest of the players know the offense well enough that it's become institutional knowledge.

MJBuddy posted:

I think Atlanta looks promising for next year, but it's not clear that they'll remain the best team in the South

I mean, I agree for sure. It's a competitive division with 4 teams that could all win 10+ games. Atlanta doesn't need THAT many things to go wrong for them to end up in last place. But I like the position they're in, and if they draft well again and don't get shredded by injuries I think you're looking at one of the most competitive teams in the conference.

Silly Burrito posted:

Plus, you talk about the mother of Super Bowl hangovers, Atlanta is going to have this hanging around their necks for a loooooong time.

This is my more pressing concern. I think if anyone can lead the franchise through a trial like this, it's Quinn & Ryan. But in the aftermath of that game... it felt like we'd been given the death penalty.

PostNouveau posted:

My dad's response to the Pats winning was that Drew Brees should be more like that Tom Brady and take a pay cut so we can build a team again. I think that works for the Pats because Brady knows his organization will make smart moves with the extra money and he'll come out ahead by being the best ever. If Brees took a pay cut, they'd just spend the extra money on a 45-year-old linebacker with knee problems.

For sure, though it also works because they essentially pay Brady outside the cap by letting Brady have free office space for his wellness company at Patriot Place and funnel business towards it by letting his business partner have free reign of treatment facilities & guide injured players towards his company. In other news I hate the Patriots

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

PostNouveau posted:

Scamming disability is a job :colbert:

lol

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
I've been looking at that all morning and trying to figure out who the guy on the right is supposed to be. I'm just gonna settle for Derek Luke and move on

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Edge rusher, ILB, FS, TE. I'm conflicted on DT...I thought we needed one but Jarret and Hageman were playing lights out at the end of last year and playoffs.

Falcons definitely need more disruptors at DT/DL. Babs is gone, money stealing devil (brought in by the Jew Pioli) Tyson Jackson is gonna be gone, a rotation that already needed to get better is thinning out. Whatever we get from Sheed is gravy, he's a turn it on and turn it off guy.

Also need more DBs, linebackers, OL depth, TEs, a decent backup QB...

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
Love that move. Pull the trigger immediately, Loomis

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
Dan Quinn yesterday: "I'm not over it, and I never will be"

same here dan

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Josh Lyman posted:

Around the time of the NFC Championship, I saw Dimitroff at my regular cocktail bar with a woman that wasn't his wife and definitely wasn't his daughter unless his daughter suddenly became an early-20s leggy blonde.

He got divorced back in 2015.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

FizFashizzle posted:

It's whatever.

You can get a pass to knock out the aquarium and world of coke but that's a lot of bullshit for one day especially with little kids

There isn't poo poo to eat around there though unless you wanna go to Johnny rockets or something

Aamar Indian is less than a mile away.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Chilichimp posted:

Ted Ginn to New Orleans, looks like.

Ted Ginn Jr, a man with no discernible football skills of any kind, is on his 5th NFL contract while Calvin Johnson, Chris Gaines, Jamaal Anderson, Patrick Willis, etc., all spin in their graves

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

I don't know anything about Jack Crawford except that he went to school with Harry Potter.

More importantly THEY CUT TYSON JACKSON!!! Later BITCH

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...4a0b_story.html

TD's gonna hire him and team him up with Sark :blessed:

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

PostNouveau posted:

I'mma just drop in this quote from the SI story about the Jairus Byrd signing.

Life comes at you fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Awesome, Pioli brings in another of his loser slob castoffs. KC came out ahead when they signed Bennie Logan, a far superior player, to the same deal. Poe looked like a Joe when I saw him this season, and it was supposed to be a contract year.

• Locked thread