Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best In The South
This poll is closed.
Atlanta Falcons 33 16.92%
Carolina Panthers 42 21.54%
New Orleans Saints 42 21.54%
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 17 8.72%
You All Suck 61 31.28%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

It's 18 months old now, but:
This might help

tl;dr: By a score of two to one, Benson is only showing mild cognitive impairment!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

dont hate the playa posted:

My first season as a football fan was the magical 98 season of the Falcons. I was obviously hooked. I was so excited for the next season and had a big party for the season opener the next year where they would surely keep on rolling and this time win the Super Bowl.

And then Jamal Anderson fell apart and the team went to poo poo and I realized "ohhhh so this is what the Falcons really are."

Been hooked ever since and I don't know how I'll handle a Super Bowl win.

On the bright side it isn't something you'll have to worry about.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5RtlpXsl8k
28-3.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Office Surprise Store posted:

yeah see this is the part where it just, we're the biggest super bowl losers ever.

most yards allowed. most first downs allowed. biggest lead blown. only team to lose in overtime.

and now we get loving chip kelly's wild ride.

Look at the time of possession...you're already on the ride.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Silly Burrito posted:

I can't believe we traded Cooks for #32 and #103 AND had to give up #118 as well.

This just sucks.

https://twitter.com/diannaESPN/status/840360890402799620

Trading Ealy suddenly makes sense, because it made the Patriots' R3-103 selection expendable to get Cooks out of the conference, let alone the division.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Move Benjamin to OT, he's 3/4 of the way there weight-wise anyway

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I always wanted to like Fairley because of how he ran roughshod at Auburn. :(

I mean I'm glad he won't be clobbering Cam into next week, but still.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/Panthers/status/883346802291900416
https://twitter.com/panthers

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Cam looks sloppy as poo poo and is just throwing nothing but fastballs since the INT

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I was livid when they signed Byrd because I was sure he was going to be an absolute star for the next decade. Dude was the second coming of Ed Reed in Buffalo for a little while, what the gently caress happened?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

How is refereeing this hard. Every week there's some goofy bullshit call that's obvious to everybody that doesn't work for the NFL.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

weird Asian candy posted:

How did Cam not throw for 500 yards today?

he doesn't practice has a bad offensive line & the other 10 players on offense with him are getting progressively more injured by the week

perhaps it's Shula's game plan to take out all these "weapons" and "protections" the GMs keep adding and hope Newton just loses his poo poo and starts trying to do it all and carry the team again

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Before this week I was leaning towards "if he can't participate in practice and still be healthy enough to start, he shouldn't be playing" but then Anderson came in having been the #1 QB in practice and immediately air mailed his first pass and short-armed his second to such a hilarious extent that I began wishing for Kaaya to go in.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

Wtf happen with Carolina?

NE defense really, really bad.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

oldskool posted:

I was livid when they signed Byrd because I was sure he was going to be an absolute star for the next decade. Dude was the second coming of Ed Reed in Buffalo for a little while, what the gently caress happened?

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Panthers-sign-safety-Jairus-Byrd/a2c1649b-e3d9-4fe0-bda8-6f9ce1cea4e4
Please be fixed we need a ballhawk back there

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Cam lost his yogurt sponsorship

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

BlindSite posted:

Dis gonna be good. Who's more oppressed a black dude or a woman?

https://twitter.com/WolaWriteMore/status/915989601545850881

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

What's the return policy on jerseys, Saints fans?
https://twitter.com/diannaespn/status/917777659295424519

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Saw that, yeesh Loomis.

fwiw Kamara seems like the truth.

Also,

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/917783025756311553

"bolster" lol

I mean, I don't think he's done but he was just not even remotely a fit for the Saints offense at all.

The Cardinals play the Vikings in Minnesota next year, so if he hangs around until next season he'll get yet another crack at them :getin:

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Looking at the injury again it just looks so benign, like more of a neck/shoulder concern than a head injury; I'm hoping it's just heavily precautionary because of his history.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Yeah.

Also, at what point to doctors basically pull the rug out from under a player and say no more? Do they have that jurisdiction to take the players career out of their hands? Ultimately, it's the player's decision to play or not isn't it?

Having looked into it (:smith:) there's no deadline on protocol timelines; once you're in you have to be cleared to get out, and if you never get cleared.....

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Serotonin posted:

I sat alone while my family slept upstairs cos it’s on at a stupid time in the morning here. I wasn’t sure if I was feeling nauseous through lack of sleep or the pure horror of what was unfolding by around 4am.

I got laid off just before wild card weekend in 2015. The day of the Super Bowl I slept literally all day, woke up just in time for the national anthem, watched Denver dismantle our offense and went back to sleep.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

FizFashizzle posted:

The Panthers promoted a fourth qb to the team, leading many to believe Big Dick Derek Anderson is on the trade block.

so uh, yeah.

Released Kaaya instead, so I would guess Newton's quietly injured and they're going with the now-#2 QB that knows the playbook better.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

He's either in man alone on an island or in cover 2, and in either case his responsibility is to give that much space to avoid getting torched deep. That's just a lovely coverage call vs. a flea flicker and an even shittier pass rush; there's one TB defender within 5 yards of Palmer and he's getting run in a circle by the LT.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

congrats on your surprisingly close game where Fitzpatrick somehow keeps you in it until he throws a pick on the final drive that could've won the game with basic, safe passes.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Serotonin posted:

I'm no expert lads, what with being a new fan, but we hire a new offensive coordinator and we go from best offense in nfl to utter poo poo. Is there some sort of issue here?

We didn't even hire a new offensive coordinator and had it happen!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

scored 3 points, I'm happy with what we're doing offensively
scored 7 points, We're not looking to change anything in the scheme

How the gently caress did TWO different professional coaches express something this stupid?

If you're not going to fire him you still have to work with him, and no matter how true it might be "the offensive playcalling sucks and is a big part of the reason why we are losing games" is not really helpful. The fact that the two head coaches in question are former defensive coordinators & therefore can't take it upon themselves to become the primary playcaller is also a factor.

In Rivera's case it's the same as it's always been: keeping guys with no successful HC experience on his staff makes it tougher to fire him & name an interim from within.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

zimbomonkey posted:

The Panthers tried out Roberto Aguayo today

Kill me

Signed to the practice squad....so we still don't have a kicker on the active roster, if Gano's knee is hosed?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

ozymandius1024 posted:

So am I reading that correctly that Kuechly and Kurt Coleman are going to be back on Sunday?

Coleman almost assuredly yes, Kuechly's still in protocol but judging by full participation he's in the final phase before being cleared.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Trai Turner is the only one left from the 2014 draft class :negative:

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

FizFashizzle posted:

The problem with only using that drafting service to rate your players. They might have checked all the boxes, but they just weren't "football players" i guess.

At the end of the day, two of them (Benjamin and Ealy) didn't give enough of a poo poo to excel in the NFL. Ealy is basically done.

I don't think Ealy is done, if only because Belichick of all coaches thought he saw enough in him to warrant moving out of the second & into the third to get him. His production this year tackle-wise is also about on pace, and while his sack numbers are low he's also learning his third defensive scheme this year (& don't the Jets also run a 3-4, which would completely change what they expect from a DE?).

I don't really like the Benjamin trade but I guess I understand it. The option year is expensive, and if you don't think you can/want to re-sign him moving him for picks is going to be easiest right now when there's at least half a year of affordable rookie contract left. And who knows, maybe he won't re-sign in Buffalo and whoever's the GM Hurney can get him back in FA.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

oh good Brenton Bersin is back in Carolina, that'll fix things

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Samuel was just coming alive too :smith:

At least we've got Russell Shepard still!
what is it with Carolina WRs and #19 and dropping passes

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I think the Saints are gonna end up losing he division to the Panthers but sneaking in with a wild card. I don’t think they’ll go any further than the divisional round. I don’t have any real evidence for this other than my innate feeling that they are a good, but not great team, and will have serious problems playing teams that are elite on one side of the ball or the other.

Carolina has the #1 defense and you put up 34 on it. Saints real good.

e: however unlike fiz I believe in the Panthers offensive resurgence because it's exactly what worked in 2015: get to the line with ~20 seconds and change the play based on the defensive alignment because you literally can't cover everything all at once. Cam being healthy enough to run has reopened Shula's playbook and it's fun as hell to watch again.

StupidSexyMothman fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 16, 2017

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

BlindSite posted:

Panthers got away with one today but it's kind of about time they had a bit of Luck. Cam was due a bad game. I'm hoping it's his last one for the season though.

If they can win next week they control the division.

It's really weird to be celebrating a win based on a roughing the passer call in our favor.

Funchess looks really, really good since the KB trade. And I'm still OK with the CMC pick because during the first couple drives before Olsen got injured again either one or both of them was open on almost every play; nobody has linebackers that can cover both and if Clay or Shepard can step up and become a deep threat that'll prevent safeties from coming up to help out.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Asnorban posted:

Is Rodgers possibly back for the Panthers game?

If so, fuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

IIRC that was the earliest date he'd be physically able to return. They're 2 games out of the last wildcard spot with 5 games left in the season; if that situation doesn't substantially improve by the Panthers game, Rodgers should be on IR.

They'd need three of Carolina, Detroit, Atlanta & Seattle to completely poo poo the bed on top of Hundley beating.....uh, injured Jameis in Tampa and....Cleveland...this isn't as big a longshot as I had expected, honestly. It almost feels like typical Packer bullshit where they're floating at .500 and look dead to rights and then suddenly catch fire & win their last few games to end up in the playoffs.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

jesus Jameis stop sucking

I almost want to cheer for Atlanta :barf: because two 8-4 teams in the wildcard spots increases the odds of Rodgers staying on the bench in 2 weeks.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Carolina needs a safety and they need a loving left tackle. Matt Kalil is hot garbage and we paid him $55 million; the only thing he and his brother appear to have in common is that neither one is physically capable of blocking anybody this season. There was one play last week where Matt got called for holding and grabbing the face mask and he still almost gave up a sack.

I don't really want Reese but tbh I think he's the only guy that'll keep us from Hurney Round 2, so :suicide:

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Really encouraged by the end of Panthers/Vikings. That was a game they historically lose. I approve of Wilks as a defensive coordinator (which means he's a head coach somewhere else next year :smith:) for that two-minute drill alone.

Also encouraged by next week's game (thanks a lot Browns) because the last time we faced a QB coming off a collarbone injury he ended up calling Panthers games from the booth 2 years later :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

wandler20 posted:

Even the Browns stole our losing streak.

Also, gently caress Lance Moore.

Lions stole ours. No longer the worst team at 15 consecutive losses!
(god that season sucked. And we didn't even get the #1 pick!)

• Locked thread