Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best In The South
This poll is closed.
Atlanta Falcons 33 16.92%
Carolina Panthers 42 21.54%
New Orleans Saints 42 21.54%
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 17 8.72%
You All Suck 61 31.28%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Go Bucs and go Jameis.

You should all follow his goofy rear end on Instagram.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I'm cheering for Devonta Freeman.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

weird Asian candy posted:

If/when the Falcons win in 2 weeks, the Panthers will be the only team in the division without a ring. I believe that is something we can all unite around.

It certainly is.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

weird Asian candy posted:

I thought VJax played his last snap as a Buc?

Evans is a monster. Between Julio, Evans, Benjamin, Thomas, Mo and the best #2 WR in football Devin Funchess, the South has some grown rear end men at the WR position.

VJax is done. Great career though.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

A Pale Horse posted:

The falcons are the team I hate least in the division, but I still don't know if I can support them to win a Super Bowl, even against the Pats. It would feel wrong to support a division rival. :(

As to the Bucs season, I was mostly pleased. Losing 2 of the last 3 wasn't the way to close a season but it was at the Cowboys and at the goddamn Saints :argh: so I can't be too hard on them. They definitely need to go hard on receivers in the draft. Adam Humphries and Russell Sheppard are not viable #2 targets and poor VJAX is a pile of bone dust at this point. I'm also not sold that Brate is a long term answer at TE, but he definitely deserves a shot to show he is. Doug Martin having another poo poo, injury plagued year was the difference maker between making the playoffs and not this year I think. The Bucs had one of the worst running games in the league and still managed to win 9. Jameis also needs to cut down on turnovers because goddamn does that get old fast. Other than that, this year was a positive step forward, especially for the defense. All hail Mike Smith, pbuh.

This was a very successful season by the Bucs considering the past decade. Things finally seem to be heading in the right direction and some stability on the staff. I think Brate is legit decent and reliable, unlike the waste of talent ASJ. Jameis trusts him so that's important. Getting a legit #2 WR has to be at the top of the Bucs priority list because holy poo poo was it ugly with what they had to work with. Hump and Shep are good rotational guys but that's about it. Doug Martin is almost certainly gone so it'll be interesting to see what they do at RB.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Chilichimp posted:

3rd/4th rounder for RB imo.

Don't hang your hopes in the backfield on Jaquizz Rodgers. As much as I adore that man, he's barely even a #2.

Sadly he was by far the best RB we had last year. Martin and Sims were bad. Unless Dalvin Cook (homer pick) falls to TB I agree 3/4 rounder should be fine. WR is by far the biggest need.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Epi Lepi posted:

Man I can't believe you kept that AV all season.

What? Aguayo owns......

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Gross, Jameis is at U of Michigan practicing with Funchess.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Michael Oher still not cleared from concussion.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/DraftCampbell/status/837020908820770816

Him and Evans would've been amazing.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Good value here for the Bucs. Only 25 and one of the better run stopping DEs.

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/838773924775231488

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Go Saints

https://twitter.com/JohnJHendrix/status/838858073104089092

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

The Big Jesus posted:

So they're really gonna trade Cooks then?

Yep:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/839883430938693632

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Joey Freshwater posted:

He only accounts for like 8% of the Bears total cap. 14.5 is not a lot of money when the cap is 167 million and increasing every year.

By comparison of Ryan, Rodgers and Luck, those guys make up 15-16% of their teams total cap. Qb contracts are ridiculous.

Counterpoint: Mike Glennon

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

TheFlyingLlama posted:

I mean, I'd defend Glennon to my dying day

he can be a starting quarterback if you protect him

Anyone can be a starting QB if you're brave enough.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Bucs resigned Conte. Ugh. Fine. Whatever.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
He's especially good at air mailing passes out of bounds. That's what I remember most about him. And being a statue.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Joey Freshwater posted:

Skeptical sure but if you've read these boards and people's opinions and seen "skeptical" then I must be reading it completely wrong.

I'm skeptical he'll do well. You seem to be. Everyone else I've read has already written him off and awful and should be removed from the league.

He's not exactly going to an ideal situation either.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

A Pale Horse posted:

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/839940686237560837

probably too much but they have 70 million in cap space and he's probably going to be their biggest acquisition.

Bucs have actually been smart about contacts lately so even if he doesn't work out they'll likely be ok.

A Pale Horse posted:

Hopefully for depth and they either go after someone in FA or draft someone. Other than a few plays against the Bears he was very not good last year.

Yeah, sounds like they'll sign someone and probably draft another.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Chris Baker is a nice pickup.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
So the Bucs are basically paying DJax what they paid VJax last year. Nice upgrade.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Joey Freshwater posted:

Remember when VJax signed that contract and the total numbers were $55,555,555 over however many years and he said he wanted it to be all 5's because his QB was #5?

And that QB was Josh Freeman?

I had such high hopes for Freeman.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Joey Freshwater posted:

Same, those first couple years of his were awesome - I thought the franchise QB had been found and I still 100% believe that Schiano broke him and I'll hate him forever for it.

Same. gently caress Greg Schiano.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
gently caress you Carolina for stealing Russell Sheppard.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

FizFashizzle posted:

Yeah wtf is this guy

ST captain for past couple years. Got involved as a WR this year and looked pretty good. You're gonna like having him around.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Nick Foles would be a fine backup for Tampa.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Joey Freshwater posted:

It's entirely dependent on how Doug Martin returns. He's still on the hook for 3 years I think so if he comes back (after his suspension) and plays well, we'll be fine there. As much as I don't want them to, I think the Bucs also draft a RB in round 1.

If they take a RB in the first Martin will be cut.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Do it Saints

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/844919662659932160

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/Jaboowins/status/848981447813865473

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Bucs final three:

vs Atlanta
@ Carolina
vs New Orleans

Should be an interesting ride in the NFCS this year. ESPN seems to think all the teams will finish above .500.

quote:

NFC SOUTH

Atlanta Falcons

Predicted record: 11-5

Starting off the season against a rebuilding Chicago Bears team is the perfect remedy for the Falcons’ Super Bowl hangover. Could be a 5-0 start with Green Bay at the new stadium in Week 2, at Detroit, then home against Buffalo and Miami. The Falcons might have trouble with three consecutive road games – including a Super Bowl rematch at New England – followed by a Dallas-Seattle, back-to-back. -- Vaughn McClure

Carolina Panthers

Predicted record: 10-6

Carolina may be reminded of its Super Bowl 50 loss with its opener at Levi’s Stadium, the scene of a 24-10 loss to Denver after the 2015 season. But the rebuilding San Francisco 49ers won’t be the tough test the Broncos were a year ago and this should set the stage for a fast start. That and a reverse of Carolina’s 2016 trend of losing close games – six by a field goal or less – should pave the way for a return to the playoffs for the fourth time in five years. -- David Newton

New Orleans Saints

Predicted record: 9-7

The schedule didn’t do the Saints any favors, since slow starts have doomed them during three consecutive 7-9 seasons and now they have to start at Minnesota on a Monday night, vs. New England on a short week, at Carolina and vs. Miami in London. But I expect an elite offense, an improved defense and realistic chance at the playoffs – especially if they can start 2-2 or better. -- Mike Triplett

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Predicted record: 9-7

The Bucs won’t see a single NFC South opponent until Week 8, and they’ll face three consecutive divisional opponents in the final three weeks of the season, meaning we may not have a clue who wins the division until the very end. A December trip to Green Bay may be the toughest challenge yet for a team looking to better last year’s 9-7 mark and reach the playoffs for the first time in 10 years. -- Jenna Laine

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

kidcoelacanth posted:

Apropos of nothing but whoever designs images for and runs the Bucs instagram is really goddamn good at their job. They're churning out rad graphics on the regular.

Truth. They do an incredible job.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Joey Freshwater posted:

How dumb would I be to go to that Packers/Bucs game in December?

Don't. I live in North Dakota and my die hard Packer friends don't even go to winter games in GB. They all say it's miserable.

I'm pretty certain I'm going to the Bucs @ Vikings game in late September.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Joey Freshwater posted:

I was also eyeing that game as an alternative. Chicago to Minneapolis isn't a terrible drive and flights are cheap as hell.

That stadium is incredible. I went there for a Metallica concert last fall so I'm excited to see a football game there.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Chilichimp posted:

LOL Panthers take McCaffrey 8th overall.

Lavonte and Kwon gonna have a field day with him. Fournette would've been a problem.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

FizFashizzle posted:

what they playing special teams now

Lol

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I'm so hyped for OJ Howard.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Saints should draft Kizer.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Drink it in Fiz, drink it in.

https://twitter.com/CMcCaffrey5/status/857984576429404163

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Curtis Samuel? Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Godwin seems like a pretty good pick for the Bucs in the third.

• Locked thread