Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best In The South
This poll is closed.
Atlanta Falcons 33 16.92%
Carolina Panthers 42 21.54%
New Orleans Saints 42 21.54%
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 17 8.72%
You All Suck 61 31.28%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I don't really blame the FO as for the most part, like Fiz has said, they've made moves that look good on paper. Byrd and Keenan Lewis should have been good gets. Shipping Jimmy Graham to get a really good center and a first round pick was a good move because his production was replaceable. Galette was a very good pash rusher and deserved a big contract.

All of those things are good moves in a vacuum, but then it just doesn't work out at all for reasons of coaching and injury and the player being a violent woman beating rear end in a top hat.

There have been a few head scratchers, like giving Fleener a big contract or picking up Peterson, but those aren't crippling the team.

I'd blame the defensive coaching, but after seeing the same problems with four different coaches and a wide variety of players I'm just going to assume it's a gypsy curse.

Worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

weird Asian candy posted:

Completely disagree. Loomis has made many a horrible contract which is one thing Dimitroff has been pretty darn good at. Cap room under the TD era has been pretty great and now coupled with Quinn, the talent is starting to stack up.

The Falcons are rebuilding, the Saints have been desperately trying to make one more run before Brees is gone and their window is closed. Very different situations. There's no trophy for having cap space, and they still found money for guys like Lewis and Browner and Byrd who then promptly sucked when they got here.

For all the talk of being in cap hell it really hasn't prevented them from doing things they want to do. The issue is that those things never work.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

The Falcons are not in a rebuild mode though. Not anymore at least, and they really didn't have the "sell the farm" mentality more than letting go of all of the old and overpriced veterans from the Smith era.

Well, I mean, the farm was like 90% old overpriced veterans from the Smith years. Outside of Ryan and Jones the team looks very different than it did just a few years ago. Which is what you expect when you bring in a new coaching staff, they want their guys.

For most of the post Super Bowl era the Saints were just trying to keep the team mostly together and plug in a few pieces to get them over the top again. Like I said, very different goals and one leads to different spending habits than the other.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

ozymandius1024 posted:

:ughh:

That, along with the two missed throws to a wide open Ed Dickson, give me great concern for when we play actual teams.

Well, at least you don't have to worry about that this week.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

three posted:

Ryan Kalil is likely out another week. Do the Saints have any good DTs?

Sheldon Rankins might be sort of okay.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

So close to a perfect Sunday of Football.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

zimbomonkey posted:

No they won't.

Well, they might. It, uh, it happens.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

There is a very real chance that the Saints will be abound .500 for the first time since 2013.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Serotonin posted:

FFS another penalty. Why did I pick this trash team.

Still room on the Saints bandwagon!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

45-10 so far, and the Saints D looks legit.

I’ve been fooled before.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Super Bowl hangover is real.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

I'm optimistic. They're getting sloppy now though.

This is why I’m never optimistic about the Saints.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

What’s Kamara done the whole game? Looks like he played some the first half and then not at all the second?

The Saints haven’t done poo poo in the second half generally, but Kamara has looks explosive the whole year. He’s really versatile. Also he had a badass hurdle earlier in the game.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Barudak posted:

I like how poo poo the saints defense is that 45 wasnt enough to win safely

Offense and special teams gave the Lions a lot of help in the second half. Also, a bunch of penalties.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Also, Tampa is the latest to fall victim to the "they've got so much talent" curse where people talk about your team like it's impossible that all of those good players will make a bad team, but that exactly what happens.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Chilichimp posted:

If you ever change your fandom to another team in this subforum, no one here will ever let you forget it.

Just ask Mel.

There's a lot of leeway if you switch to a traditionally bad team. The problem is Mel went from one evil dynasty to another, even more evil dynasty.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

It’s only football, friends. If you find yourself getting mad at it turn the game off and go have a nice meal, find a pretty person of whatever gender you fancy to talk to, rub one out to weird poo poo you found on the internet, play a video game, smoke weed and take a nap, play with your kids, call your mom, lift heavy poo poo...lots of options that are better than getting super angry at a game played for your amusement by men you don’t know.

Not watching doesn’t make you a fair weather fan. It’s supposed to be entertainment, if it’s not entertaining then take a break.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

zimbomonkey posted:

So Cam hasn't talked to the media all week. Chances he's hiding a concussion?

Presumably because it’s the easiest way to avoid getting caught on camera using the phrase “woman’s work” or “sand in your vag” or “stick to cooking and let me worry about routes.”

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

We are going to lose to Brett Hundley

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When your offense is the best in the league and you replace your OC it’s almost always gonna be a step back.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Chilichimp posted:

Sark pushed our offense down the stairs.

It’s easy for forget but Shanahan’s first year wasn’t great either.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

The Saints are, no joke, the best coached team in the division this year. Let that sink in.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Two Tone Shoes posted:

This was not unusual in recent memory.

Its been untrue for the last 5 years or so I’d say. Also, they share a division with the previous two NFC Super Bowl representatives.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

wandler20 posted:

#6? I mean, COME ON.

Shame they couldn’t give him #59

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Epi Lepi posted:

I'd almost be relieved if they do this but the only way Winston is gonna get better is if they keep playing him. All training camp the beat writers kept talking about his improved deep ball accuracy and that has not translated into actual games. He's young and needs game reps. I know it's his third year but he's 23.

If his shoulder is actually still bothering him then continuing to play him isn’t going to help at all.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Anyone who in Charlotte hear rumors that Benjamin murdered someone or something? I can't understand moving him for a 3rd and a 7th. He's not an amazing WR or anything but he's still probably the best one the panthers have

He came into the year fat and out of shape, he's still fat, and I'm guessing the trade was meant to send a message about players, you know, not being fat and lazy.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Saints man...wow...legit.

Gonna lock up this division by week 13.

The Saints could definitely wilt just enough down the stretch to let the Panthers pass them. They certainly have in the past.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

I dunno man. Solid defense goes a long way, something they haven't had in forever. I feel like you guys are gonna run away with this division.

Im still not totally sold on the much improved defense. They’ve played a string of really bad offensive teams with rookies or backups at QB. This was the first really game they put together against a decent offense.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

Dude, ANY defense is much better than what we've had for the past few years.

It’s certainly better, but I can’t shake the feeling that the defense from the first couple of games is going to reappear when we play a team with a pulse on offense.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

The name sounds familiar from LSU, but I'll be damned if I can remember him considering the last few years were the Fournette/Guice years.

He was a change of pace guy a few years ago. Seemed to get used mostly for sweeps and outside runs. He was okay. Can’t see him being more than JAG in the NFL.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

I think the Saints are gonna end up losing he division to the Panthers but sneaking in with a wild card. I don’t think they’ll go any further than the divisional round. I don’t have any real evidence for this other than my innate feeling that they are a good, but not great team, and will have serious problems playing teams that are elite on one side of the ball or the other.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

I'd feel better if they'd already played in New Orleans.

Also I don't believe in this offensive panthers resurgence

Literally no outcome of that game would surprise me. But we’ve got a bit harder schedule down the stretch I think. We’ve got the Redskins and then the Rams in LA and both teams are solid enough to beat us. We’ve got Atlanta twice and I expect they’ll take at least one of those. And then the Carolina game.

Losing all of those puts us at 10 wins which I don’t think wins the division.

It feels a lot like 2013 where we fall just short and have to go on the road as the Wild Card.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

C2C - 2.0 posted:

And when you're done eating come upstairs to Tiki Tolteca. I bartend there on Sundays.

I was there a couple of years ago when I went back to Louisiana to visit family. Cool bar. The tiki man Jell-O shots are vile. We did enjoy the jambu plant tincture though.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Brent Grimes is still fast as hell.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Figured this was a loss going in, but ultimately it comes down to closing out the divisional games. 11 wins seems pretty doable, but still might not be enough to win the division. drat.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Chilichimp posted:

holy poo poo they're hiring Schiano!!!

suicide watch plz.

They already tried to hire him and their fan base staged such a revolt that they had to back down and say they’d keep looking. Their AD may yet end up getting fired over the whole thing.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Shiki Dan posted:

They also had the 3rd worst offense in the NFC.

Name a skill position player for the 49ers last year.

He was also significantly better than Blaine Gabbert on the same team and Gabbert is now starting for the Cardinals.

The point isn’t that Kaepernick is a very good QB, it’s that he’s still, despite being mediocre, worlds better than a bunch of backups and even starters out there.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Chilichimp posted:

Both Tebow and Kluwe had (as in, in the loving past) additional years of usefulness left in the league. When you add the intangible "insufferable locker room distraction", remaining usefulness becomes irrelevant.

What the gently caress would Tebow be useful for? And, as mentioned, punters are easy to find and Kluwe wasn’t a particularly good one.

This is such a bizarre argument, those dudes were easily easily replaceable whereas Kaep is legit better than like 10 dudes starting right now.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

wandler20 posted:

Because he let trash rear end Hundley march down the field and score? gently caress Mike Smith.

He’s the head coach, he’s responsible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

There’s teams that Mcaffery would be really good on. Likewise, Kamara would not look nearly as good if he was on the Panthers. He’s super talented but he’s also the exact sort of guy that Payton is very good at using.

• Locked thread