Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best In The South
This poll is closed.
Atlanta Falcons 33 16.92%
Carolina Panthers 42 21.54%
New Orleans Saints 42 21.54%
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 17 8.72%
You All Suck 61 31.28%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Falcons, bitch!

Let's go get that ring to strategically place into the new goatse dome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
If/when the Falcons win in 2 weeks, the Panthers will be the only team in the division without a ring. I believe that is something we can all unite around.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Nystral posted:

Evans needs a good #2 to take pressure off as Jackson's decline continues. Hopefully it's Brate or Humphries, but I doubt they're going to be that missing 1a or 2 the team needs to keep the pressure off Evans.

I thought VJax played his last snap as a Buc?

Evans is a monster. Between Julio, Evans, Benjamin, Thomas, Mo and the best #2 WR in football Devin Funchess, the South has some grown rear end men at the WR position.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

wandler20 posted:

VJax is done. Great career though.

I thought so, and yeah, dude was a great player for a long time. I always liked him.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

big money big clit posted:

I live in Portland, surrounded by fairweather Seahawks fans, so I root against Seattle in any and all circumstances because the effects of their winning and losing are most directly noticeable to me. I don't have to talk to Falcons fans every day about their "historic" defense or dynasty-in-the-making.

I hear ya. Now take a seat and let me tell you about our historic offense and dynasty-in-the-making. You see it all started after Seattle lost the Superbowl in 2014...

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

I can always ignore dumb posts, but I can't just put dumb coworkers and friends on ignore, so in person aggravation will always win out.

Plus, until you've bought a dumb "get in" falcon smilie and post it at every opportunity you still won't be worse than Seahawks posters.

lol I hear ya. It's hard to live in an area of which you are not a fan of its professional team. I was born and raised in the burbs of Chicago and I could not stand Bear fans. Most were fine, of course, but you get the insufferable meatheads and it just makes life awful.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

I'd rather not join the SuperBowl losers club like some other teams in the division.

We're hoping to reverse our fortunes in a little over a week, ok? :(

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Serotonin posted:

I'm feeling a bit like a glory hunter currently having picked the Falcons to support. Everyone in the Newbie thread at the end of last season warned me I was setting myself up for disappointment, which being a life long West Ham fan, I was totally at home with.

Weirdly I came close to picking the Bucs but Jesus that font they use on their shirt grosses me out. I'm hoping to get tickets to see the Saints in London next year just for some South solitary.

I was probably one of the ones who warned you, lol. My heart and mind was in a good place my friend. I have been a Falcon's fan since 1989 when they drafted Deion Sanders and while there have been some really fun years, there has been a lot of pain and suffering.

This season has been something else though, you picked a great season to jump on board. The offense is hella fun to watch and seeing the defense literally learning how to play in the NFL before your eyes has been p cool.

1 week!

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

Look, can this not be the "good feelings about the Birds" thread?

I'm not sure I can take positivity about the Falcons from this subforum in my life right now.

Embrace it man! When was the last time you can say you were this confident in a Falcon's team? I can't even remember it's been so long. I feel like this team would blow up the 2012 team that almost made the SB. I mean, trust me I get the hesitation, but enjoy the ride my friend!

Your angst will have no bearing on the outcome of the SB, so may as well just enjoy it while it lasts. We have 4 more quarters and then a loooooooooong offseason.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Plus a Superbowl Win >

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

D.N. Nation posted:

Smith (well, Michael Turner) took the Falcons to the playoffs his first season, one year after Vick went to prison and Bobby Petrino Bobby Petrino'd. That's not nothing.

He was easily mockable because he subscribed to the usual boring, ploddy, runny, punty NFL game management done by so many others. I mean, his name was "Mike Smith" even. But he did the franchise good.

Mike Smith will pick the bar up, correct any dents or imperfections, place the bar back in it's rightful place, take 50 steps back and run up to the bar with all he has only to clip it with his toe before falling flat on his face.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

I thought I'd feel better this morning. I don't. This is a huge kick to the nuts and I don't think I'm going to be able to let this go for a long long time. It almost would have been better to be blown out. Having been the better team for 75% of the game and having to witness your team choke away their best chance at a superbowl is just depressing.

Watching them snap the ball with :20 on the play clock...watching them not run the ball and kick the fg...watching Ryan take a sack and then Matthews hold. I'm sick. I feel sick. I'm not getting over this one for a long time and right now it doesn't feel like I ever will.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

marioinblack posted:

I figured either way I was going to see the Pats lose or the Falcons lose and get something out of it, but I'm angry that Atlanta blew that lead. How do you even do that? I don't think I've ever been this mad at a team I don't like for failing to win a game.

It's honestly making me rethink why I allow myself to be so invested in a football team that it can allow me to feel the way I feel right now. I feel like I just lost a family member, and it's just not right. It's a freaking football game. Gah, I hate this.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Race Realists posted:

please don't kill yourself we need you here :ohdear:

Hah, I would never go that far. I feel like complete crap right now though, I want to crawl in a hole and not come out for a month.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

DNS posted:

I feel traumatized and I have no idea how to find catharsis for this. I know Titans fans who still can't bear to look at Kevin Dyson stretching for the goalline and this is like 100x worse. The Falcons set the new gold standard for losing and have wiped every other defining moment of their 51 year old franchise off the board and replaced them all with this. I don't... I don't think I'll even be able to shittalk Panthers fans over SB 50 anymore. It's hard to imagine something other than a team plane crashing or a shock overnight relocation being more traumatic to a fanbase, even one as accustomed to disappointment as Atlanta. Because this isn't plain old Atlanta sports team disappointment, the kind the Hawks/Braves/Falcons treat us to every year. This is some knife twisting, opening the box from Hellraiser, Cleveland and Buffalo poo poo.

I can't really even pillory anyone for it. Shanahan's the closest thing to a villain, and we aren't even in the game without him. Ryan held onto the ball too long, but the guy put up a 144 passer rating while possessing the ball for like 20 minutes. Freeman didn't pick up Hightower, but the guy ran his rear end off the rest of the night. Quinn should've pushed KS to run more, but he got the defense to play WAY above their heads until their legs gave out. I guess I'll settle for hating the Patriots with every fiber of my being but WAIT I was doing that already

See, I can't hate the Pats. My hate is directed at Atlanta right now. The Pats came back and won, you have to give them credit for that. They took advantage of a team on the ropes that never should have been on the ropes in the first place. I tip my cap to the Patriots and when I can fully digest this and take a step back to look at it without all the emotion I am feeling right now, this will go down as one of the best superbowls ever. As much as it hurts, it really was. Atlanta blew it, plain and simple. Hate them, not the greatest coach and QB ever for taking advantage of them blowing it.

That said, these guys are young and the Falcons are going to be a force in the NFC for at least the near future. What sucks is you never know when you will be back, if ever, unless you are the Patriots :smith:

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

lol, no

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

MJBuddy posted:

Think you mean desmond, but this is his option year and the last year of his contract. Also they played better after he left, which doesn't make any sense to me because he is good, but he's not a young core to build on anymore.

Debo Jones could turn into that though.

They are resigning him, he's not going anywhere. The entire rookie class looks like they could be the core to build around. Jones, Neal, Campbell all look like they will have promising futures.

Jarrett and Hageman also look good and really came on in the playoffs.

They need another pass rusher badly to compliment Beasley. Upgrade Allen at FS, add an ILB and the potential is there.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

MJBuddy posted:

The problem with great guys at market value is that you can't win poo poo with them if you don't have great guys on their rookie deals. You can basically judge every team in the NFL on if they hosed up the market value of their veterans or were able to backfill their team with cheap talent from the draft or UDFAs.

See: Seahawks defense and Russell Wilson until they all got paid and turned into pumpkins.

I think Atlanta looks promising for next year, but it's not clear that they'll remain the best team in the South with their bad defense and O-Line that scrapped together a good season out of no where after years of falling over themselves (see: Panthers). Then there's the matter of the rest of the NFC not rolling over.

Yeah, I was a little surprised to see them pay Alford before Trufant but maybe they have plans for him at FS and sticking Collins opposite Trufant? I don't know.

I feel like Atlanta is setup pretty well for the near future. They have cap space, Ryan is getting restructured which should free up even more...I don't know what's going to happen with Freeman though if these agent demands are any indication of what he really wants.

I also feel like the defense came a long way from the start of the season so I'm not expecting them to be bad and outside of Chester, the oline is solid.

I doubt Carolina is as bad as they were again, Tampa is up and coming and New Orleans still has Brees so the division should be fun again.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Kelly, Morris and LeFleur seem to have the most traction. I don't know if my body is nearly as ready for the Chip Kelly Experiment...

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Forgive me for asking but why do Saints fans despise the Falcons so much?

Because super gently caress the Saints

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

BlindSite posted:

I thought id want to see the falcons get their first win, but then the game started and all I could think was gently caress the falcons.

So i was going for the pats.

I was most definitely rooting against the Saints and Panthers during their Superbowl runs but I was legit happy for the Saints posters here because they are good people.

So I can't say I blame any of you for not being able to root for the Falcons.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Bazinga

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Blacktooth posted:

I don't want Chip Kelly. No more run 'n shoot please no matter how you disguise it. I'd much rather find another guy with West Coast experience who isn't so disdainful of running the ball. Sanu, Jones. Hooper, DiMarco, Freeman. Coleman, and Ryan is a drat good core for a more reasonable approach.

Apparently whoever it is, Quinn is unwilling to change the scheme so they will need to pickup and run Shanahan's system so the offense doesn't need to start from scratch again. We will see.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

WampaLord posted:

I feel so bad for Julio. He was a loving god on the field and all for nothing.

Maybe Shanahan could have gotten super cute and lined Julio up in the backfield. Maybe THEN he would have run it from the 23 :(

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

Interesting... I'm guessing it'll be one of the assistants, then.

Blacktooth posted:

After nosing around a bit at the names being thrown around, I am liking Mike McDaniel. He's been tagging along with Kyle for 6-7 years now, he sounds smart, he's young, and he has that feel good story and tie in with the Falcons now.

That is what I am guessing. LaFleur, McDaniel or Morris, though I heard Shanahan was going to try and poach McDaniel. I would assume we would hear something pretty soon.

e:

https://twitter.com/alexmarvez/status/828740983453986816

And just to add to the confusion...

https://twitter.com/MaioccoCSN/status/828750585344045057

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

We'd have to allow him to take someone. The Seahawks only allowed DQ to take 1 assistant with him, and we might extend the same courtesy... or tell him to go gently caress himself.

Yup. It will be interesting to see what happens here. I really don't want Chip :ohdear:

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

If you went with D) None of the above, you won!

https://twitter.com/TheFalcoholic/status/829008332178468864

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/FalconsKelsey/status/829038223368323072

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

How close to the dome is Michoud Assembly Facility? I'm guessing not close enough.

(glad you're safe)

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I really enjoyed watching the new Falcons safety this year, both in the KC game and super bowl. He has that Eric Berry quality where you watch the opponent ballcarrier just stop moving after a blur of red hits him

Neal? Neal is a bad rear end but he had a rough Superbowl...he looked every bit of a rookie in that game. He can lay the wood though, all of these youngsters can. They are going to be fun to watch.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

The Big Jesus posted:

I mean who is gonna take a day off work to drive way the gently caress up there to watch a bunch of losers get off a bus

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Falcons moving on from Bryan Cox and Richard Smith. Not surprising on Smith, Quinn took over defensive play calling and the defense magically got better. Cox has been on borrowed time for a bit now.

That said...lot of turnover in the offseason is making me nervous.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

poo poo thats good but I really don't like Jameis and would rather not have him as my avatar if I can avoid it.

Jameis isn't really the "take a no" kinda guy though...

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

That's not even the face I'd want to punch most coming out of the SB...

BTW, SB backwards is BS and that SB was super BS...

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Real talk, who do you blame the most?

The most? Shanahan. I mean, you have to give credit to the Patriots for absolutely dominating the 4th. Not throwing any shade their way, they earned it. I just think the play calling, the aggressive style of snapping the ball with :20 left on the clock, the passing on obvious running downs, the story about Ryan screaming at the QB coach to tell Shanahan to call some running plays...I blame him this most. I blame Quinn for not stepping in and putting an end to the aggressive play calling and call some drat run plays. Situational football was non existent that quarter and it cost them the championship.

Kyle was great, I wish him the best in San Fran, but super gently caress how he called that 4th quarter.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

The Falcons actually do need guards.

A guard...Chester is pretty bad. Levitre has been solid. That Schweitzer dude is supposed to be worth a look and we have Swiss army knife Garland to trot out but Chester most definitely needs to be upgraded.

DE, Guard, ILB, TE, FS in the draft/FA would be swell.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Silly Burrito posted:

I mean, if they had been able to make a field goal......

poo poo, I woulda settled for an attempt!

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Silly Burrito posted:

So is there anyone you're hoping your team drafts this year? Hoping for linebacker or cornerback, but watch Sean pick Deshaun Watson or something else completely out of left field.

I really don't want Fournette to be a Panther just as much as Fiz.

Edge rusher, ILB, FS, TE. I'm conflicted on DT...I thought we needed one but Jarret and Hageman were playing lights out at the end of last year and playoffs.

Cam and Fournette on the same team would be vomit inducing.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

Because we're likely to lose Babs sooner than later and Quinn likes to rotate... we need to draft a Defensive Tackle.

We're weak at guard and could use a high pick on one, and picking at 31, we're likely to be able to get a high quality one, as this position doesn't tend to go high, so quality at the position will still be available.

Forgot about Guard. Chester needs to go for sure.

Also, Babs is gone. He said his goodbyes on Instagram yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

TD doing TD. Maybe we see a signing today? Poe? Hankins? Logan? Tru extension?

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/840580022947721220

• Locked thread