Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best In The South
This poll is closed.
Atlanta Falcons 33 16.92%
Carolina Panthers 42 21.54%
New Orleans Saints 42 21.54%
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 17 8.72%
You All Suck 61 31.28%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Yea, I think it's a good trade for the Saints. Short, speedy receivers are a dime a dozen so to get a 1st and 3rd for him is pretty good. I realize Cooks is very good, but it's not like he is irreplaceable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
More like they know we are going...back...to the superbowl :smug:

Also gently caress Shanahan...

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

^ The important thing to remember is the "gently caress Shanahan" part

Bring him home to New Orleans so Julio and Evans can dine on him twice a year imo

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/842524557885943808

weird Asian candy fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 17, 2017

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

El

Oh

El

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Yea, that, plus our surprisingly good last season, makes me optimistic we could maybe make the playoffs this year.

Tbh I'm most worried about the Bucs in the division. You all are doing some things. Evans and Jackson is going to suck.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

lol, first Teo and now Manziel? After trading away Cooks (which I concede I don't think was terrible) and replacing him with Ginn? Saints, wut are you doing?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

He's a lovely person and a bad NFL fit, but I'd have liked to see what he could have been under a coach who actually believed in him.

So like a sponsor...

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Tru got paid! :getin:

https://twitter.com/AtlantaFalcons/status/850702714598248448

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

@ GB.

I can tell you I went to a Falcons game @ Chi on December 17th one year and it took about 4 days to fully thaw. The coldest I have ever been. As long as you dress for the elements, you should be fine. I did not. I was not fine :(

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

games at GB in december are just one of those legendary things you hear about.

I've already been to a Bears game since moving here and it was pretty cool but it was preseason so it was still relatively warm.

Layers and hand warmers are your friend. I've heard those overall/jacket things that construction workers dress in when it's cold are very good. My problem was my feet. I wore 2 pairs of socks and regular shoes thinking it would be enough but my one foot was concerningly frozen by the 2nd quarter. Like I felt like the veins in my foot were freezing shut so I spent a lot of time trying to get blood flow going again lol.

Get yourself some warm socks and boots and that construction gear, enjoy the experience, and then watch your team lose imo

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

WampaLord posted:

I am very pleased with the Bucs pick and lol at the Panthers.

Evans, Jackson and Howard...yeesh. Solid af

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

He seems batshit crazy and I'm kinda cool with it.

God drat man, get to the QB!

Solid first round for the NFCS all in all.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

That was a :raise: moment. I have no doubt DQ will be able to direct his full levels of crazy directly at Cam without issue.

Wasn't Cam a Falcon's fan growing up?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

I know they worked him out, but what is a Duke Riley?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

big money big clit posted:

A linebacker. He's not the most physically talented guy but he has good instincts and was a key part of what was a drat good LSU defense. LSU has had a good history of putting solid, if unspectacular, into the NFL lately, so I think it's a good pickup at that spot.

Quinn apparently is starting him off at WLB, so looks like our LB corps are set at Campbell/Jones/Riley? Reading up on him, he seems like a very Dan Quinny guy.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Lmao

https://youtu.be/JOuwNvDB0wk

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

His profile on NFL.com says he's not a "quick-twitch linebacker" so I'm going to say he's not black.

Very similar measurables to Debo so typical DQ player. Fast. High motor.

He has a brother named Cooter, so no way he black.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

I'm still pissed he fell to you bastards :mad:

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

This is one of the best loving things ever.

The Falcons need to now make one with a Jalen hologram blowing up Jameis :allears:

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/TooEasy59/status/794379545696575489

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

I don't know if I'm ready for the Bucs to be relevant again...

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

:lol: Mike Smith sure loves his former players

Bobby was really good for like a year. Him and DeCoud I thought were going to be so much more than they ended up being. I believe DeCoud went to Carolina before he found his way out of the league.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/05/dan-quinn-falcons-super-bowl-loss-patriots

Also maybe not snapping the ball in the second half with a zillion seconds left or taking dumb sacks.

The sack wasn't on Ryan. Freeman completely whiffed on the block. No one in their right mind can blame that loss on Matt Ryan. He had a perfect passer rating late into the game and was the better QB...

The offensive gameplan in the second half was god awful plain and simple. RUN. THE. BALL. To only run the ball five times in the second half with such a big lead is inexcusable. They run the ball at all in the second half they win the game. The thing that sucks the most is sooooooooooooo many things had to go right and wrong for that comeback. Dropping back to pass instead of running, penalties, snapping the ball with :20 on the clock, tipped balls that miraculously find their way into Patriot's receiver's hands, dropped interceptions, etc. etc. I mean, it sums it up perfectly to say the Falcons lost the Superbowl without ever being down until it was over. Such a Falcons way to lose.

I do hold DQ accountable for not putting an end to Shanahan's aggressive play calling, but I can kind of understand riding the wave that got you there. If Freeman picks up the block, Ryan probably hits a wide open Gabriel for a huge gain. If they continue to run the ball, they take time off the clock and force NE to take time outs, kick the field goal and odds are Bryant hits it to go up 11 with little time. It was just a comedy of events.

All that said, and I may be viewing through rose colored glasses, but I don't think this team is going anywhere and I like what they are building especially on the defensive side of the ball. I think they will be back soon, but ya never know.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Proof that Satan is real and that Belichick knows the proper rituals.

Which also means that Eli is Jesus reborn.

Yep and proof that.....................the nfl is scripted

:ninja:

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

It's worth mentioning the Falcons running game in the second half was not exactly productive:

-3 yards
5 yards
0 yards
9 yards
-3 yards
-1 yards
8 yards
1 yard
2 yards
-1 yard

Who cares? At that point, especially in the 4th, is to milk to clock and force timeouts. Neither of which they did, especially in the 4th. Besides, with gains of 5, 9 and 8 it's not like they were destined for -3 yards everytime they ran the ball which is irrelevant because running the ball would have eliminated the stupid sacks and holding calls (probably) and would have burned off a lot of time. Also, even if they kneeled on the ball three times after the Julio catch...they would have ended up on the 25 and Bryant would have had a pretty easy kick to go up two scores with little time left and would have forced NE to burn their final timeouts.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

I realize that by the second half the Falcons had to value burning up clock more than any yardage gained. But the best way to burn the clock is for the offense to stay on the field, and to do that they had to throw. If the Falcons had just ran it into the pile every down in the second half they still would have lost. There had to be a better balance on offense, obviously. But I don't think it's fair to throw so many bones at the offensive playcalling when the defense gave up five scoring drives in a row, many of them long ones.

If the Falcons ran it into the pile every down in the second half, they probably would have won actually...going 3 and out over and over and over and stopping the clock due to incompletions ultimately killed them. Not to mention keeping the clock going on offense would have resulted in giving their defense SOME rest. As it was, incomplete passes and 3 and outs resulted in their defense routinely going back out onto the field and being gassed beyond recognition. They were on the field for over 90 snaps, that is ridiculous. That is a direct result of the Falcons 1) not running the ball and 2) not passing the ball effectively.

Along the lines of blaming Matt Ryan, I don't know how anyone in their right mind can blame the defense who was on the field for over 90 snaps and had held one of the most explosive offenses and Tom Brady in check for basically 75% of the game for the loss. I mean it was a team effort, but I put the bulk of the blame on the offense for not doing a drat thing in the 2nd half.

The final 2 series was 8 runs and 2 passes. The final 3 series was 9 runs and 4 passes. It's just dumb playcalling plain and simple.

weird Asian candy fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 16, 2017

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Prior to New England's tying possession, the Falcons went 3-and-out twice, and each series had a run for negative yardage. What separates those two drives of course is a series with lots of passes resulting in a touchdown. On Atlanta's other drive that technically wasn't a 3-and-out (because it ended with a Ryan fumble) they ran it 2 out of 3 times.

You can nitpick all you want. Run the ball. Win the game. It's honestly as easy as that. I'm sure it's easy to sit there being on the side you are on with your team winning, but on this side of it, especially down the stretch in the 4th, run the loving ball, kick the loving field goal, win the loving superbowl. That's really all it boils down to.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Sorry, you got blown out in the most historic Superbowl loss ever, people will literally never stop talking about it until another team chokes harder or y'all win a new one.

This is the unfortunate truth. Although "blown out" isn't true...at all...the narrative will always be, and rightfully so, how the Atlanta Falcons collapsed in historic fashion and blew the largest lead in SB history. It will be with this team until they win one. If they ever win one. :smith:

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

WampaLord posted:

The saddest part is that I'm not wrong.

Like, y'all have to live with this shame forever, just like the Bucs have to live with have the most consecutive losses. Eventually time heals all wounds, but this one's still fresh.

"choked" would be a better phrase, sure.

You aren't wrong. I don't think I will ever fully be over that game until they actually win a Superbowl. They choked, you are absolutely correct. I will always think of just how many things had to happen for that to even be possible. That 4th quarter really can be titled "A Series of Unfortunate Events".

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Silly Burrito posted:

Brings up a good point. We've had two back to back NFC South teams in the Super Bowl, both losses. Which NFC South team will be the next one in the Super Bowl AND win?

My heart wants to give Drew Brees an Elwayish send-off Super Bowl victory. My head is looking at Tampa Bay's potential offense and saying "drat!"

Still going with the Saints as long as Drew is there and if the defense doesn't completely suck rear end. Once Drew is gone, that's all folks.

I think if you look at SB windows, I would say Falcons and Bucs have the best chance. Seems like the Saints are just destined to go 7-9 forever until Drew retires and it turns to 2-14.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Silly Burrito posted:

We'll need to hire Jeff Fisher to keep the streak alive.

It would be very Breesy and Paytony to have one final gently caress off kaboom season and win it all just to eternally gently caress with my mind.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Gatts posted:

Don't get it. What's so savage?

Glad I'm not the only one because it seemed like a pretty :effort: reply but I was just assuming I was viewing the savage reply through Falcon's glasses.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Oh god damnit...lol...ok Bucs, I see you

:bravo:

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Silly Burrito posted:

Expect a lot of 28-3 related signs in the stands this year.

Yeah, it's going to be more annoying than hurtful tbh. Like every Falcons related tweet ever since the Superbowl has multiple morons posting 28-3 like it means anything other than the fact that they are unoriginal at this point.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Hell, 28-3

:downs:

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Now we're getting it from loving SYRIA?! fml

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

Falcons caused Tom Brady's only post-season pick-6 ever, and no one will remember it.

Hell, could have been like 3 pick 6's but alas...sigh...

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

I mean, he was with Atlanta for a couple seasons and formed some friendships with players and front office so it makes sense that he would apologize, he probably genuinely feels bad for them. Good on you, Dirk.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

wandler20 posted:

90% of twitter is for trolling IMO.

And that is probably a conservative number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

So he apologized for it, but they're not removing it, awesome

Nor should they, it was one of the better trolls I have seen. I thought it was pretty well played. Tip of the cap worthy, if you will!

• Locked thread