Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Welcome, friends, to the NFC West. While not exactly a great division, it's at least an interesting one.

Teams

Arizona Cardinals
Los Angeles Rams
San Francisco 49ers
Seattle Seahawks

Division titles

49ers -- 19
Rams -- 16
Seahawks -- 8
Cardinals -- 3

Super Bowl appearances (winning years in bold)

49ers -- 6 (1981, 1984, 1988, 1989, 1994, 2012)
Seahawks -- 3 (2005, 2013, 2014)
Rams -- 3 (1979, 1999, 2001)
Cardinals -- 1 (2008)

For most of the 80s and 90s, this division belonged to the 49ers with everyone else fighting for second place, but the 2002 realignment significantly shook up the power dynamics. The Carolina Panthers, Atlanta Falcons and New Orleans Saints all went to the newly formed NFC South, while the Cardinals came in from the NFC East and the Seahawks moved over from the AFC West.

The 2000s was mostly defined by the Seahakws and Rams having memorable battles for the title, while the 49ers kept tripping over their dicks and the Cardinals were the Cardinals. In the early 2010s, things really kicked into high gear when Jim Harbaugh took the San Francisco job and Pete Carroll made his NFL return with the Seahawks. The two coaches reignited their college feud and Seahawks-49ers quickly became one of the best rivalries of the modern era, with awesome games and legitimate hatred between the two.

And then Jed York got mad about Harbaugh and everything went to poo poo.

Meanwhile, the Cardinals quietly got good for the first time in their history, while the Rams faded into obscurity as the Greatest Show On Turf stars aged out. Despite having numerous high draft picks to build around, the Rams became a laughingstock under Jeff Fisher and moved back to Los Angeles after pummeling St. Louis into apathy.

Things got way more interesting in 2017. Sean McVay immediately re-energized the Rams, delivering the team's first playoff appearance since 2003. The 49ers made a bold midseason trade for Jimmy Garoppolo, which paid off with five straight wins to close the season and real upward momentum under Kyle Shanahan. The Seahawks missed the playoffs for the first time since 2011 and face questions about their long-term future with an aging core. And the Cardinals are staring down a potential rebuild following the retirements of Bruce Arians and Carson Palmer.

If 2017 felt like a changing of the guard in this division, the 2018 offseason solidified it. The 49ers locked up Jimmy G, replaced Carlos Hyde with Jerick McKinnon, and bolstered the offensive line in free agency. The Rams doubled down on their newfound contention window, bringing in Marcus Peters, Aqib Talib, and Ndamukong Suh to strengthen the defense. As of this writing, those are the clear two contenders for the division crown in 2018.

Meanwhile, the Seahawks said goodbye to the LOB era, trading Michael Bennett, releasing Richard Sherman (who naturally went to the Niners), and letting key pieces like Jimmy Graham and Paul Richardson leave in free agency. The Cardinals signed Sam Bradford, released Tyrann Mathieu, and ... that's about it, really. Seems like they're really banking on a healthy David Johnson to carry them forward.

Never a dull moment in the NFC West. Come and post with me as we go on this wild journey together.

Benne fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
The Cardinals should probably win the division next season and then won't again for like 10 years.

Maggot Soup
Aug 18, 2005

The 49ers make me lethargic. The only interesting thing going on for them is the growing bald spot on the back of JED's head.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Never made much sense for the Saints, Panthers, and Falcons to be in the NFC "West" anyway. Can't say I'm hurt about the 49ers falling from grace after the dominance of the 80s.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Silly Burrito posted:

Never made much sense for the Saints, Panthers, and Falcons to be in the NFC "West" anyway. Can't say I'm hurt about the 49ers falling from grace after the dominance of the 80s.

In 1970 it could have been:

The Cowboys and the three current NFC West teams that existed in 1970
Today's NFC North without the Vikings and the Rams and 49ers
The Cowboys, the Saints, and the Rams and 49ers

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It's really weird that the NFL aggressively expanded into the South in the 60s, but it took them like 35 years to realize "duh, we should have a South division for the Southern teams."

Benne fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 21, 2017

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Just for fun, here's a look at the divisions before realignment.

AFC East

Patriots
Dolphins
Bills
Jets
Colts

AFC Central

Steelers
Bengals
Ravens
Browns
Titans
Jaguars

AFC West

Broncos
Raiders
Chiefs
Chargers
Seahawks

NFC East

Cowboys
Giants
Eagles
Washington
Cardinals

NFC Central

Packers
Vikings
Bears
Lions
Bucs

NFC West

49ers
Rams
Falcons
Saints
Panthers

The Cardinals used to be in Chicago and St. Louis, which explains why they started in the East. The AFC Central got wacky in the 90s -- they needed to put the expansion Jags somewhere, and when the Browns came back the division had 6 teams for a few years. I can't explain why the Falcons and Saints were in the West, other than the East rivalries were cemented and they didn't want to mess things up.

Honestly, the NFL is much better off with the new format. The divisions make more geographical sense (aside from the Cowboys in the East but they were never going to break up those rivalry games), the smaller sizes make the title mean more, and scheduling all divisional games in Weeks 16-17 was a stroke of genius.

Benne fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jan 21, 2017

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
How come this division has that legacy of strong defenses? Is it just consistent drafting and recruitment or what?

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Benny the Snake posted:

How come this division has that legacy of strong defenses? Is it just consistent drafting and recruitment or what?

I know it is a joke about Seahawks fans but the actual answer here is recency bias.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

King Hong Kong posted:

I know it is a joke about Seahawks fans but the actual answer here is recency bias.

I don't know, there might be a little more to it than that. The 49ers had a solid, what, drat near 20 years of excellent defense from around 1980 to the end of the 90s to go along with Montana/Young. They weren't actually in the NFC West at the time but if the Seahawks were good at anything it was likely to be defense for the same period (well that and throwing the ball to Largent when he was around).

Yeah I guess it's just those two teams though. The Cardinals were rarely good at anything but look to have been more often competitive offensively than defensively. The Rams had a few years of good defense but both during the Dickerson years and obviously the greatest show on turf it was offense that ran that team.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

I'm going to use an admittedly flawed statistic but I think it is pretty demonstrative:

Since re-alignment, the NFC West, taken together, had the best scoring defense in the league from 2012 through 2015. It had an above average scoring defense in 2011.

By contrast, it had the worst scoring defense from 2004 through 2008. Every other year was below average, including three years when the division had the second worst scoring defense.

In that same time frame, the AFC North had only two below average seasons.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
gently caress the NFC West, they don't deserve a thread.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Hey I have some questions about the 49ers

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Ostentatious posted:

Hey I have some questions about the 49ers

Shoot.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Why is Jed York a bitch?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Super Bowl 50 and WrestleMania 31 will be the only times Levi's Stadium ever sees a champion again

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Ostentatious posted:

Why is Jed York a bitch?

When you're swaddled in silk at birth even the finest cottons feel as abrasive as sandpaper.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Benne posted:

Super Bowl 50 and WrestleMania 31 will be the only times Levi's Stadium ever sees a champion again

Hahaha. gently caress you. Though part of me hates the Levi Stadium.

Jed York is a fuckboi through and through. You know it hurt him when Jim told him he couldn't join the meetings because he wasn't a man.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 22, 2017

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
The NFC west has more bird teams than any other division, so that makes it cool and good

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
NFCWest posters are also the most handsome/pretty of all TFF posters.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Shindragon posted:

Jed York is a fuckboi through and through. You know it hurt him when Jim told him he couldn't join the meetings because he wasn't a man.

This makes it boring and unfun but I pretty much believe the version of this story that goes he told York the meeting was for 'the men' which he always called the players.

Or maybe it makes it better since Jed York is so unwound that he could misinterpret Harbaugh that badly, I don't know.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Bad Moon posted:

You're welcome:wink:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
A pretty cool division with good logos and uniforms.

Rams might turn it around in a year or 2 if the owner hired the right guys and is hands off, arizona always threatens to compete if they're not too injured, so it should be exciting next season.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Benne posted:

I could see Levi's Stadium getting another superbowl in like 8-9 years.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Bad Moon posted:

I'm quite handsome.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Is that a lot of money for Colin Kaepernick?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
With the Pats open to trade Garapalo for a first round pick, how likely is he gonna end up in SF?

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
I wonder what sucker they're going to get to coach the niners long enough for York to poo poo the bed and fire him after one season.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Krycek posted:

I wonder what sucker they're going to get to coach the niners long enough for York to poo poo the bed and fire him after one season.

They're counting courting Kyle Shanahan

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 24, 2017

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.

Benny the Snake posted:

They're counting Kyle Shanahan

Honest question here: what if he says no? Right now he has all of the leverage in the world. There's no other available candidates that the Niners have interviewed, he's in an extremely comfy spot with perfect personnel in place to keep up his good thing for at least a couple more seasons, there will likely be better jobs opening up next season (Colts, Texans and Bengals all seem possible), and his current boss is not Jed York. If you're him, I at least consider either demanding a king's ransom as one of the highest paid head coaches in the league or sticking it out til next year and avoiding the Niners tire fire.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Benne posted:

I can't explain why the Falcons and Saints were in the West, other than the East rivalries were cemented and they didn't want to mess things up.
Hell, even the Panthers were placed in the West for some reason. It's funny to think that for a long period of time before realignment, the Niners were the only team in the division actually in the Pacific Time Zone.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Prozach posted:

his current boss is not Jed York.

This

I get that these coaches have yuge egos and that someone will take the job thinking that they're the one who can turn it all around. But why would one want their (likely only) shot at being an NFL HC to be in this lovely of a situation? To compare it to the average person's career, would you really take a promotion at a less stable company with an rear end in a top hat boss and little job security over your current, reliable gig working with people you get along with? The way I see it, the niners are going to have to settle for someone who is as desperate as they are. Rex Ryan is available and probably just toxic enough that SF may be his only shot to coach again.

One in the Bum fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 23, 2017

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I assume this is the preemptive answer to the question "how do you fix the problems Jed York has caused."

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 23, 2017

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Hell yeah NFC West, let's have a party!

Seahawks and Cardinals will duel for the division title next year, think the winner will come down to injury luck. After that, who knows. I could see the Rams getting good fast with proper coaching though. Wade Phillips with that D is a terrifying prospect.

At least we don't have to deal with Gregggggg Williams coaching his players to headhunt our teams twice a season anymore.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Hey guys.

The 49ers are... bad.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

seiferguy posted:

Hey guys.

The 49ers are... bad.

They also don't have a coach, GM, or functional owner, so no help there.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Man the Niners cratering is something to see. Sheesh! That rivalry was so good

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Niners' wild swing of fortunes is kind of crazy over the years.

Juggernaut for most of the 80s and 90s. Laughingstock for most of the 00s. Build back up to near-juggernaut status in the 10s, only to immediately go back to laughingstock.

Harbaugh's last season was totally surreal. Like all year long we kept getting these random leaks about front office dissent, and I remember the reaction of Niners fans going from "lol no" to "there's no way, they can't be that stupid" to "oh my God it's really happening."

Benne fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jan 25, 2017

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Benne posted:

going from "lol no" to "there's no way, they can't be that stupid" to "oh my God it's really happening."
Sounds a lot like me during last year's Presidential Election

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I miss the Harbaugh bad lip readings.

• Locked thread