Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

DariusLikewise posted:

I've thought about it some more after initially thinking the Rams were dumb for switching to a 3-4, but as long as they put Aaron Donald in a position where he can get one-on-one in pass rushing and find another good middle linebacker they should be pretty solid. I trust Wade Phillips to not completely try and force a system on the players rather tailor a system to make it work with the talent they have.

That's interesting. You're front 4 always seemed so monstrous I wondered why they would deviate from that strength but I suppose if they can maintain pressure they could compensate for their defenses flaws more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
CB depth is a concern for sure. But there's no two ways about it: OL is the biggest concern.

We need 2 good backup CBs that have starter potential. PCJS get those fellas pretty regularly and at good value.

Meanwhile we need ~3 immediate starters on OL. Ifedi gets more time to develop and I'm being charitable with our center.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
There are concerns but overall this is a really good Seahawks team. But the offensive line is just too much of an anchor

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

MalleusDei posted:

Apparently the Dolphins are releasing their left tackle Brandon Albert. Maybe the Hawks will pick him up? Hahahaha, no we'll take another college basketball player, or something.

you could just move someone like richard sherman to lt that'd be fine thanks

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Bad Moon posted:

That's interesting. You're front 4 always seemed so monstrous I wondered why they would deviate from that strength but I suppose if they can maintain pressure they could compensate for their defenses flaws more.

For the most part I think a switch to a 3-4 from the 4-3 means Robert Quinn will just rush from a 2-point stance rather then down in 3-point and the rest of the d-line will shift a little over to the right, but who knows

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Personally I want Seattle to draft a CB first, since there's a lot of good ones, and hardly any LTs (I'm gonna say that Gilliam or Fant are at the top of the chopping block) that would immediately make an impact.

I'd hate to say it, but I think the O-line is mostly going to stay the same. There will be some camp bodies for competition for sure, but overall at least 4 of the 5 starters are probably sticking around. You just hope that another year of continuity together helps, and realize that not every unit on a team can be good.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

seiferguy posted:

Personally I want Seattle to draft a CB first, since there's a lot of good ones, and hardly any LTs (I'm gonna say that Gilliam or Fant are at the top of the chopping block) that would immediately make an impact.

I'd hate to say it, but I think the O-line is mostly going to stay the same. There will be some camp bodies for competition for sure, but overall at least 4 of the 5 starters are probably sticking around. You just hope that another year of continuity together helps, and realize that not every unit on a team can be good.

That perspective doesn't make sense, for a few reasons.

1. This draft has a lot of high-quality OL. There's not a bunch of elite top 10 talent but in terms of overall quality, this is a strong draft class. The back of the first is going to have plenty of valuable OL prospects.

2a. This draft also has a lot of high-quality DB's. Including in the middle and later rounds.

2b. PCJS have historically been among the best at finding value in middle and later round DBs.

3. The Seahawks Secondary is great. 3/4 of the DB starters are phenomenal. Among the best secondary units in the league.

4. The Seahawks OL is god awful. 3/5 of the OL starters would struggle to be backups on other teams. Among the worst OL units in the league.

5.a Because the OL starters are god awful, any highly drafted OL would likely provide an immediate impact. The rookie doesn't even need to be good, or hell, league average. The rookie could objectively be bad and still be an enormous upgrade over the current god awful players.

5b. OL in the first have the lowest "bust" rate.

5c. First round contracts are a steal compared to FA.

The Seahawks are a great team and every unit is average or better. Except OL. Improving the OL is an entirely plausible goal for the combined reasons that; this is a good draft for OL, OL are the "safest" bet in the draft, and the current OL is so poor that any new player would be an upgrade.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I think a lot of Seahawk fans are getting their view of team quality distorted. It happens to fans of all teams that are good for a decent stretch of time. The current Secondary isn't what it was, but what it was a few years ago was "amongst the best in NFL history". PCJS are great at finding DB's.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Look at the NFC West collective OL, we're all top 10 in lovely OL friends!

Cleveland gave up a sack 1/10 passing attempts. drat.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Sherman was not great this year, Chancellor couldnt stay healthy. Earl Thomas actually was good again for the first time in 2 seasons but then he got hurt.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I think a lot of Seahawk fans are getting their view of team quality distorted. It happens to fans of all teams that are good for a decent stretch of time. The current Secondary isn't what it was, but what it was a few years ago was "amongst the best in NFL history". PCJS are great at finding DB's.

I can't think of a good DB we have drafted since 2011.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I was gonna say Shead is pretty good but then remembered he was an UDFA.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Bad Moon posted:

I was gonna say Shead is pretty good but then remembered he was an UDFA.

It's also likely he won't be healthy in time for the season opener.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Tom Cable will create a golem, using the old magics, for his latest OL experiment. It will crumble into balls of clay upon being contacted on the first play of the home opener. Wilson's leg will shatter into a thousand pieces. Boykin will be upgraded to starter.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

Dead? That's what they want you to think.
Mario Williams is about to be cut, he'd might make a helluva right tackle.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

African AIDS cum posted:

Sherman was not great this year, Chancellor couldnt stay healthy. Earl Thomas actually was good again for the first time in 2 seasons but then he got hurt.

I wonder how much of Sherman looking bad was his knee. I was thinking he lost a step, before I heard he was injured.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

la canfora is saying tony jefferson is gonna be the 2nd highest paid safety after berry. im glad for him and it's really surprising that he came on like a light switch at the start of this year

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Mario Williams is about to be cut, he'd might make a helluva right tackle.

Imagine the Rams dline pass protecting :flashfap:

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

MalleusDei posted:

I wonder how much of Sherman looking bad was his knee. I was thinking he lost a step, before I heard he was injured.

Remember I think 2 seasons ago where they did that fakeout punt return vs. the rams and Sherman had the whole field in front of him and got run down from behind. I think he has lost a step or 2 and the injury is an excuse.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

MalleusDei posted:

I was thinking the same thing. I didn't see a lot of Seahawks this year but there were a handful of plays every time I saw them that prime Sherman would shut down but he just... didn't. Whether he got burnt or he had to blatantly hold to not get burnt. It also made sense why he started lashing out at people too (out of frustration).

It even made Benne clap back at me with the 49ers' record when I brought it up on Twitter, too. :wink:

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

A lot of the players regressed once they got paid. Hopefully they can get it together. Bobby Wagner was a little disappointing too.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Chichevache posted:

I can't think of a good DB we have drafted since 2011.

Let's take a look:

2012: Jeremy Lane and Winston Guy. Lane was... okay, up until that horrific injury in the Super Bowl. Guy played 2 games and got cut.
2013: Tharold Simon. Played a few games. Never amounted to anything good.
2014: Eric Pinkins. Played 6 games, doesn't have a single stat attributed to him.
2015: Tye Smith and Ryan Murphy. Smith played a few games and got cut this last season. Murphy didn't make the team.
2016: No DBs drafted.

These guys were all drafted late round (5 and beyond) too.

I get that everyone gushes over our drafting of Sherman and Chancellor in the late rounds, but yeah... we haven't thought of backfilling those positions yet. So far our replacements for Brandon Browner in the LOB have been Byron Maxwell (good for 1 1/2 seasons, took a huge payday at Philly and became bad), Cary Williams (lol), and Shead ( :rip: ).

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

MalleusDei posted:

I agree it was likely due injury. Also that essentially everyone in our Secondary was injured. And we still had a great defense.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

seiferguy posted:

Let's take a look:

2012: Jeremy Lane and Winston Guy. Lane was... okay, up until that horrific injury in the Super Bowl. Guy played 2 games and got cut.
2013: Tharold Simon. Played a few games. Never amounted to anything good.
2014: Eric Pinkins. Played 6 games, doesn't have a single stat attributed to him.
2015: Tye Smith and Ryan Murphy. Smith played a few games and got cut this last season. Murphy didn't make the team.
2016: No DBs drafted.

These guys were all drafted late round (5 and beyond) too.

I get that everyone gushes over our drafting of Sherman and Chancellor in the late rounds, but yeah... we haven't thought of backfilling those positions yet. So far our replacements for Brandon Browner in the LOB have been Byron Maxwell (good for 1 1/2 seasons, took a huge payday at Philly and became bad), Cary Williams (lol), and Shead ( :rip: ).

Jizz denouement's argument was that they're great at getting those guys in the late rounds. I don't think those guys slip to the late rounds in 2015 and onward.

Seattle is good at exploiting positions the rest of the league overlooks, which is why they thought they could get away with the crap they have at o line (or taking risks on criminals like Frank Clark that the rest of the league won't touch). Right now there are too many other teams trying to draft athletic, oversized defensive backs, then trying to develop them into starters. I don't think that's a market weakness that Seattle can take advantage of anymore. No one wants to overlook a Sherman or Chancellor again. If Seattle wants a DB who can start right they'll probably have to take him by round 3, unless they find a new angle to exploit that the rest of the league misses.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

its all nice on rice posted:

Tom Cable will create a golem, using the old magics, for his latest OL experiment. It will crumble into balls of clay upon being contacted on the first play of the home opener. Wilson's leg will shatter into a thousand pieces. Boykin will be upgraded to starter.

No, Pete Carrol will send Tom Cable out to recover the remains of their broken offensive linemen for the reconstruction of the perfect center.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Spoeank posted:

I was thinking the same thing. I didn't see a lot of Seahawks this year but there were a handful of plays every time I saw them that prime Sherman would shut down but he just... didn't. Whether he got burnt or he had to blatantly hold to not get burnt. It also made sense why he started lashing out at people too (out of frustration).

It even made Benne clap back at me with the 49ers' record when I brought it up on Twitter, too. :wink:

Sherman has never been that fast, his game is physicality and technique. He still had great numbers this year, at least until Earl went down. I think his game style depends a lot on having Earl back there to back him up.

In any case, it may be that he lost a step, but by and large his lack of interceptions/defenses has been because most teams just aren't throwing to him.

He was a total dick at times this year though. Comes with the territory I guess.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I thought Earl Thomas was usually helping the opposite side of the field, leaving Sherman on his own.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Earl plays center field and has the speed to help out whichever side needs it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Bad Moon posted:

Earl plays center field and has the speed to help out whichever side needs it.

Yeah, when Earl is healthy he is insanely quick. He was penalized this play, but it still displays how insane his speed is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49sNHgahFAI

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

shirts and skins posted:

Sherman has never been that fast, his game is physicality and technique. He still had great numbers this year, at least until Earl went down. I think his game style depends a lot on having Earl back there to back him up.

In any case, it may be that he lost a step, but by and large his lack of interceptions/defenses has been because most teams just aren't throwing to him.

He was a total dick at times this year though. Comes with the territory I guess.

Agreed. As long as Thomas is healthy the secondary will perform. He's a tremendous centerfielder who allows the CB's to play more aggressively.

Hot drat I love Thomas.

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

:nallears:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
all playoffs will be all nfc west teams

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Rotoworld posted:

In addition to Matt Schaub, the Sacramento Bee's Matt Barrows names Brian Hoyer as a free agent quarterback the 49ers might pursue.

Schaub has been previously speculated as a fit in San Francisco after spending the last two years with Kyle Shanahan in Atlanta. Hoyer played for Shanahan in Cleveland, and has been far more effective in recent years than Schaub. Barring an unlikely-if-intriguing match with Kirk Cousins, the 49ers will be scraping the bottom of the barrel for veteran quarterback options. Barrows didn't rule out the Niners signing both Hoyer and Schaub in free agency.

:getin:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Let's be clear here, if the Niners don't get Cousins in FA because of the tag, they're just twiddling their thumbs at QB this year.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Spoeank posted:

Let's be clear here, if the Niners don't get Cousins in FA because of the tag, they're just twiddling their thumbs at QB this year.

They'd be better off drafting a guy and throwing him into a "trial by fire" rookie year than going with Brian loving Hoyer

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Oh no the Niners might only win 2 games again next year.

The 49ers shouldn't get any good QBs this year because they need literally everything else too and a good QB with a terrible roster is pointless

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Spoeank posted:

Oh no the Niners might only win 2 games again next year.

The 49ers shouldn't get any good QBs this year because they need literally everything else too and a good QB with a terrible roster is pointless

This would probably be an easier conversation if the rookie QB class wasn't such a giant ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

If not Cousins, then who? They're sure as poo poo not convincing Romo or Cutler to come over. Maybe take a shot on Glennon?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Benne posted:

This would probably be an easier conversation if the rookie QB class wasn't such a giant ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

If not Cousins, then who? They're sure as poo poo not convincing Romo or Cutler to come over. Maybe take a shot on Glennon?

Trade their first round draft pick to New England for Garapalo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Get whoever and get through the season. There's nothing worthwhile this year. Hoyer, McCown, Schaub, doesn't matter. As long as it's a one year deal. Get a rookie, I don't care, just not with a top 100 pick.

It's a lost year no matter who signs and there's no point putting a golden crown of a decent QB on a massive pile of poo poo.

• Locked thread