Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Huh? What's wrong with Italian olive oil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Almost all olive oil that comes out of Italy is olive flavored vegetable oil.

Well poo poo. I didn't know that. Sadly, I don't think there's any foolproof way to check your olive oil's quality except for trusting your taste I guess. If you try some actual, fresh olive oil the taste sort of stays with you and after a point you just know that something's off.

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Steve Yun posted:

More often than not, Italian olive oil that was labeled extra-virgin did not meet the standards for being extra virgin for various reasons (one of which may or may not have been adulteration with other oils)

For that matter, it's extremely unlikely that you will find actual extra-virgin olive oil anywhere. When a farmer takes their olives to the mill, the mill withholds a percentage of the oil they produced from that particular farmer's olive crop. The farmer can then either keep the rest of the oil for himself to sell or whatnot, or just sell it directly to the mill. Most oil mills (in a non-industrial scale) will generally crush the olives at significantly higher temperatures to increase yield, and then mix up the various olive oils they've pressed that season and bottle the mix.

Cold pressed, extra-virgin olive oil is REALLY hard to produce in profitable volume. For example, my olives crop this year was just over 1 ton, 1080kg. I don't sell my oil, I just keep it for home consumption so I asked the mill guy to press it at a cold temperature, generally around 12-15°C. That left me with about 120kg of olive oil, just around 10%. That low a percentage is pretty hard to make a profit off of, so most producers push the crushing temperature up to juuuuust about the limit where it can still be labelled extra virgin or just exceed it or mix it up or whatever. It's actually pretty common knowledge in most olive oil producing countries.

Not to brag, but look at that colour

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Steve Yun posted:

Sure, but since you're not selling yours at any groceries, the gist of all this is that the highest quality affordable and available oil will be from California

Sure, I guess? As long as California has laws etc in place to make sure the content is what's on the label it probably is.

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Bob Morales posted:

What do they do with the crushed olives sans oil?

Lots of things, it can be used as livestock feed for example or for soap making. I remember my grandma used to make green soap from the sediment in the bottom of the oil containers and lye. She'd flip the kitchen table upside down and use the support frame as a mould wherein she would pour the lye and dreg mixture, and after it had set she'd cut it into thick bars.

The olive cores can be further processed to produce a different kind of oil, kind of greenish brown, not sure what it's called in English. Google translate says it's "pomace". They also grind the cores down and turn them into pellets for heating. I'm sure there's more uses to it, nothing goes to waste.

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Jose posted:

What does your stuff taste like since apparently I've had nothing like it

pm me your address and I'll send you a care package

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

DjErichB posted:

Huh. I have some locally produced (within 60 miles or so) "extra virgin" olive oil that is bright green, and i figured from the price ($18 / 500mL) it was the real thing (press date of November 2015). Is this realistic, or do i have a sham product?

Yep, completely realistic, don't worry. My photo was taken the day after the pressing so there was a lot of stuff floating about. It's much clearer now.

• Locked thread