Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Pooper Trooper posted:

For that matter, it's extremely unlikely that you will find actual extra-virgin olive oil anywhere. When a farmer takes their olives to the mill, the mill withholds a percentage of the oil they produced from that particular farmer's olive crop. The farmer can then either keep the rest of the oil for himself to sell or whatnot, or just sell it directly to the mill. Most oil mills (in a non-industrial scale) will generally crush the olives at significantly higher temperatures to increase yield, and then mix up the various olive oils they've pressed that season and bottle the mix.

Cold pressed, extra-virgin olive oil is REALLY hard to produce in profitable volume. For example, my olives crop this year was just over 1 ton, 1080kg. I don't sell my oil, I just keep it for home consumption so I asked the mill guy to press it at a cold temperature, generally around 12-15°C. That left me with about 120kg of olive oil, just around 10%. That low a percentage is pretty hard to make a profit off of, so most producers push the crushing temperature up to juuuuust about the limit where it can still be labelled extra virgin or just exceed it or mix it up or whatever. It's actually pretty common knowledge in most olive oil producing countries.

Not to brag, but look at that colour

You consume 120kg of olive oil a year? drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread