Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
don't buy olive oil unless it's in a 3L+ tin, to begin with. you should be paying between $20-40 for a 3L tin.

I have seen some great spanish olive oil being sold in the states - but also california produces great stuff too. I'd say stay away from Italy, but the brand I have been buying recently is italian, San Giuliano, and it's legit

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...A0QnBUIgQEoADAC

google says it's 40, but I think I pay $28 at my farmer's market.

edit: I have never researched anything about this brand beyond just buying it and liking it, but in googling it just now, apparently mario batali endorsed it or something too? dunno, but it passes the mindphlux test anyways.

to come up with your own standard, just loving taste a ton of olive oil. after tasting several dozen different types, you start to get a feel for what makes a good olive oil vs a hohum one. I'm sure it's different for everyone - but some olive oil just tastes like loving vegetable oil, and some has some body and character - and you'll want to use the different types in different ways. for instance, if I'm going high temperature with a dish or making a delicate salad dressing, I'll go 50/50 with my good olive oil and some veg oil to change the smoke point and get a more neutral flavor.

taste food a lot, and you'll know when it's legit - and you won't need to ask a bunch of nerds on the internet!

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Drifter posted:

This doesn't happen, and I don't know why people think it does. At best you're diffusing the burnt flavor of the lower smokepoint oil's flavor. You're not altering the smokepoint by mixing two things together like that.

Do like a normal person and cook with a high smokepoint oil (higher than the temp you're cooking with) and finish by sprinkling the lower smoking point oil for flavor if you like the taste of that one.

this makes sense, and I've honestly never thought much about it beyond "oil smokes less at X temperature if I mix it" :downs:

in other news, russia hacked our election!!!!!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Ranter posted:

mindphlux accepting something contrary to his original opinion? Now I've seen it all.

Side note, it appears GWS is going hog wild without any moderation so please, go forth and wreak havoc in the crock pot and chili threads

I almost did at ground floor, now it's past its prime and I'm just hoping they die or get gassed.

what happened to bartolimu? someone should probably moderate this forum...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I've been recommended Croatian olive oil very highly. Granted, it was a recommendation by a diehard Croatian nationalist, so I'm not sure if that recommendation can be trusted. Any thoughts, since this is apparently the Olive Oil Megathread?

if a balkan national strongly suggests a course of action to you, you politely decline and back away slowly without breaking eye contact

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Suspect Bucket posted:

How long does olive oil keep in a cool dark place?

1792.48 days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Croatoan posted:

Don't troll. It's 1792.48 days give or take a week or so depending on when it was bottled.

touché.

also, I forgot that the shape of the bottle also can have an impact on how long olive oil will keep in a cool dark place, so keep that in mind fwiw.

• Locked thread