Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is Communism good?
This poll is closed.
Yes 375 66.25%
No 191 33.75%
Total: 523 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
Nobody is arguing with me. There's like four posts of random garbage that is completley unrelated to any point I made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You see, there weren't only Communist Party candidates in the elections - there were also Leninist Young Communist League candidates and candidates put forward by other institutions established by the Communist Party. Pluralism was alive and well.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RBC posted:

That refers to factions within the party. Non-party candidates ran and won in soviet elections. It's a historically documented fact.

That is not true at all.

You wanna cite anything or what 'cuz I seriously doubt any non-approved non-communist party ever ran or won in any USSR election before Stalin died.

e: I mean maybe I'm totally wrong :shrug: nothing comes to mind though

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 31, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Moridin920 posted:

You wanna cite anything or what 'cuz I seriously doubt any non-approved non-communist party ever ran or won in any Soviet election before Stalin died.
Other parties than the CP were banned, but it was technically possible for public institutions other than the CP to nominate independent candidates. But all public institutions were run by the party even if they were not formally part of the party apparatus proper, there were no independent ones. Furthermore there would always only be one candidate for each position on the ballot, so ultimately independents only could run if the party approved because they couldn\t compete against a party nominee. Satellite states of the USSR - or at least some of them - had multiple political parties, but they were subordinate to the national CPs and allowed only to run on joint ballots with CP candidates.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 31, 2017

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

RBC posted:

Nobody is arguing with me. There's like four posts of random garbage that is completley unrelated to any point I made.

"i learned from a dialectical materialism textbook how the USSR is supposed to function in theory and took this to actually be super representative of how it functioned in practice"

RBC is it you, you are the garbage that is utterly slaughtering any attempt of modern leftism to appeal to normal people

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

You see, there weren't only Communist Party candidates in the elections - there were also Leninist Young Communist League candidates and candidates put forward by other institutions established by the Communist Party. Pluralism was alive and well.

How is that any different from a country dominated by two parties that are the same?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

"i learned from a dialectical materialism textbook how the USSR is supposed to function in theory and took this to actually be super representative of how it functioned in practice"

RBC is it you, you are the garbage that is utterly slaughtering any attempt of modern leftism to appeal to normal people

Reading history books instead of wikipedia is destroying modern leftism?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

RBC posted:

How is that any different from a country dominated by two parties that are the same?

for one you can elect someone like trump or bernie sanders, whereas under cccp those guys would never have even made it onto a ballot

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

RBC posted:

:lol:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Typo posted:

for one you can elect someone like trump or bernie sanders, whereas under cccp those guys would never have even made it onto a ballot

I might be inclined to argue that that could actually suggest the USSR was better than the US.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

RBC posted:

Some choice is better than no choice, brainiac. In the USSR there was always only one candidate on a ballot. American diplomacy sucks, but at least there are SOME politicians who are trying to compete. And of course there are other countries where there are more options. Did you know that the Communists over here are projected to get up to 20 percent in this year's general election in my capitalist country? Crazy!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

I might be inclined to argue that that could actually suggest the USSR was better than the US.

You might be inclined to be a loving retard then.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

OwlFancier posted:

I argue no

Donald Trump was a giant wake up call for America, and constrained by norms of democratic governance and the limits of executive power to the point where the damage he does will be limited.

In the USSR they didn't figure how much hated the system was until literally the system fell apart

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Trump is still better than Brezhnev. Or Khrushchev.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RBC posted:

Reading history books instead of wikipedia is destroying modern leftism?

Are you gonna cite anything here or are you just gonna keep being condescending?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Typo posted:

I argue no

Donald Trump was a giant wake up call for America, and constrained by norms of democratic governance and the limits of executive power to the point where the damage he does will be limited.

In the USSR they didn't figure how much hated the system was until literally the system fell apart

I remain skeptical of the notion that Trump can be considered good by any sane metric.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Typo posted:

So what? Neither of them can effect any meaningful change in the state. Trump is the perfect example. Is your point really that a sham election in one country is somehow better than a sham election in another.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

OwlFancier posted:

so much better in fact, the leadership of the country dissolved it voluntarily

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What was so good about Soviet leaders.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

RBC posted:

So what? Neither of them can effect any meaningful change in the state. Trump is the perfect example. Is your point really that a sham election in one country is somehow better than a sham election in another.

Watch out everybody, we have a pissed off teenager in the room.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

RBC posted:

Trump himself probably couldn't, but you had presidents like Andrew Jackson, Lincoln, FDR, LBJ and Reagan who did change the country greatly

I wouldn't be surprised if America has another one of those within the next 20 years

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

steinrokkan posted:

What was so good about Soviet leaders.

apparently, they knew when to end it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Soviets are dumb, I just really don't think "they would have banned trump" is a very good argument against the USSR.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Trump is awful, but these undead lich lords of the USSR were models of youthful energy used for progress and crushing individual emancipation.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
oh yeah and also I don't think state posts were all that meaningful in the USSR pre-1989 or so, party posts were the meaningful ones with real actual power and I'm pretty sure you had to be a CPUSSR member to sit on the politburo

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

OwlFancier posted:

Soviets are dumb, I just really don't think "they would have banned trump" is a very good argument against the USSR.

it absolutely is a good argument against the USSR, you are effectively telling me that the government is ok with banning popular political candidates if the are sufficiently ideological deviant from the establishment, as determined by a bunch of old by definition establishment politicians sitting around in a politburo meeting

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
we have a couple of very loud posters itt who actually bought into the propaganda of a state that has been dead for twenty years wholesale

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The last General Secretary of Com. in Czechoslovakia was entirely out of touch with reality, borderline senile (famously he kept mixing up boilers and broilers) and he spent most of his time bitching about how popular singers and actors get paid too much money.

He was, if anything, dumber than Trump.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Typo posted:

it absolutely is a good argument against the USSR, you are effectively telling me that the government is ok with banning popular political candidates if the are sufficiently ideological deviant from the establishment, as determined by a bunch of old by definition establishment politicians sitting around in a politburo meeting

I'm going to say that keeping the cheeto coloured pissbaby from any sort of power or platform, is a fairly reasonable candidate for the concept of objective good.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

OwlFancier posted:

I'm going to say that keeping the cheeto coloured pissbaby from any sort of power or platform, is a fairly reasonable candidate for the concept of objective good.
communism did not do a very good job of keeping lovely politicians from holding power

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
As I have said, the undemocratic gerontocratic structure of the Eastern Bloc countries was more than capable of picking its own Trumps, without the benefit of actually having a popular mandate.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

As I have said, the undemocratic gerontocratic structure of the Eastern Bloc countries was more than capable of picking its own Trumps, without the benefit of actually having a popular mandate.

trump doesnt have a popular mandate

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Typo posted:

communism did not do a very good job of keeping lovely politicians from holding power

Correct, but "would not have allowed Trump onto the ballot" is still a pretty bad argument.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I dunno why the USSR always comes up and has to be re-litigated in threads about communism, it was nominally communist, but mostly state capitalist. Stalin was a lovely communist, the USSR was imperialist and lovely as gently caress, but none of it is due to actual communism.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Loving Life Partner posted:

I dunno why the USSR always comes up and has to be re-litigated in threads about communism, it was nominally communist, but mostly state capitalist. Stalin was a lovely communist, the USSR was imperialist and lovely as gently caress, but none of it is due to actual communism.

Decades of propaganda.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
And as a consequence he is being widely derided and opposed by massive protests, which would be imossible in the USSR. Unfortunately the representative model isn't too good at removing politicians who have lost their support (which Trump undeniably did have at one point), but it at least restricts the period of executive illegitimacy to a defined period of time, instead of making it perpetual as it was in the USSR.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

RBC posted:

trump doesnt have a popular mandate

he sure does in comparison to the soviet gensecs, but that's a bar so low an ant can jump it

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Listen, you don't have to vote for the Bolshevik party...

... but if you don't I'll report you to NKVD, comrade.

quote:

However, during that early period a number of individuals attempted to hold the government to the multi-candidate promise, including members of the Russian Orthodox Church who attempted to field religious candidates as a result of Article 124 of the new constitution, which promised freedom of religion. Many of the early individuals attempting to run as alternate candidates were arrested after the decision for multiple candidates was reversed. Additionally, the NKVD conducted mass arrests shortly before the elections.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

he sure does in comparison to the soviet gensecs, but that's a bar so low an ant can jump it

Only 26% of eligible voters voted for Trump. I'd say that's something that's up for debate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Moridin920 posted:

Listen, you don't have to vote for the Bolshevik party...

... but if you don't I'll report you to NKVD, comrade.

That's exactly the same as when FEMA moved all the Bernie Bros to death camps. One sham election or another, there's no difference.

• Locked thread