Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is Communism good?
This poll is closed.
Yes 375 66.25%
No 191 33.75%
Total: 523 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Communism is so 1917, the intelligentsia is all about Communalism now. There are two new letters, and they indicate an evolved political philosophy that is less susceptible to corrupting influence, please get with the program, comrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

My primary theoretical hang-up on Marxist communism is the dictatorship of the proletariat; I am not convinced it is ever possible to move beyond that stage, and that it will always fail because the balance between a true workers' state and a degenerated one is too precarious.

Marxism-Leninism seems fundamentally flawed, because the central authority together with state capitalism creates a massive incentive for anyone with any intelligence and ambition to be involved in the state apparatus, and this will create a feedback loop where the state continues to consolidate power, ultimately dissolving universal democracy; control can never be in the hands of the workers, and the path of the state depends entirely on the interests of the ruling class, which isn't any better than welfare capitalism in the end.

I'm not sure what form a more purestrain Marxist transition would take, but until the answer is "anarchism," I still have the concern that centralized decision-making supports ever strengthening, rather than weakening, the centralized undemocratic state.

Any thoughts or essays on this that address anarcho-communist concerns?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

dk2m posted:

Assuming you're talking about the US - what capitalist class? What does that even mean in this day and age?

What, seriously? Instead of spending your effort sniping at philosophical alternatives, learn how your economy actually works.

e: maybe you misspoke and I'm not giving you the benefit of the doubt where I ought to, but that statement had all the brilliance of "what racism?"

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 3, 2017

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Fados posted:

Next one could probably start from a negative basis instead of a positive one: instead of arguing endlessly about central planning vs market, private property, etc, we should recognize what are our common problems today where capitalism will encounter its inherent limit and won't be able to provide adequate responses, some suggestions being: ecology, intelectual property, inequality, apartheids, etc.

Identifying the problems is easy. Solving them is harder. There's a reason the left spends its time internally debating political and economic structures instead of "is capitalism bad?" If you read between the lines of posts here, almost nobody is trying to defend the inherent flaws of capitalism, they're arguing the inherent flaws of other systems are worse.

• Locked thread