Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is Communism good?
This poll is closed.
Yes 375 66.25%
No 191 33.75%
Total: 523 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

caps on caps on caps posted:

Communism doesn't work on paper if humans are not equally transformed to a new, completely social identity (cf Marx).

Wait a minute, though. Your quotes don't argue to that effect - you're reversing the order. Marx says that communism will transform human social identity, NOT that human social identity must first be transformed or else communism can't work. Now, sure, the former is a pretty tall claim and the latter is a commonly made argument, but they're not the same thing. Marx is the guy who says material circumstances give rise to social relations, not vice versa.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

caps on caps on caps posted:

dude I get that, I quoted him directly. I am not the "Marxist-who-hasn't-read-Marx" itt.

But think for a minute about the details of communist production as given in the manuscripts. A consequence of what he is stating is that if Communism does not lead to this change in human behavior and really, utility, then communism can also not solve alienation of men to men, which necessitates exchange because people's welfare does not EQUAL social welfare, which is exactly the mode of production Marx wants. And we are not talking about approximate social welfare here. In a communal Marxian system, NO exchange of anything is AT ALL necessary.
this is his point

Well like, it'd also be a consequence of of what he is stating that if communism did not end poverty and exploitation that communism couldn't work, but neither of these are actually examples of communism not working on paper. They're both just benefits Marx expected us to reap from it.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

hakimashou posted:

"capitalism" isnt even an ideology, its just the normal way people do things.

• Locked thread