Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Asproigerosis posted:

That's the problem, the marches are just the step up from slacktivism. Everyone going out on the town for a Saturday to feel validated then go home and not care for the next 4 years because they did their part.

then let's loving organize, activate, and agitate

join the demsocs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Mariana Horchata posted:

sorry about ur face

he ugly and a fat

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Asproigerosis posted:

That's the problem, the marches are just the step up from slacktivism. Everyone going out on the town for a Saturday to feel validated then go home and not care for the next 4 years because they did their part.

That's what I guess I'm trying to say. If even a small fraction of the LOTS of people that attended today get more involved, clearly that's a good thing?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

yeah it's hollywood but

https://twitter.com/MarinNBCLA/status/822901428901453824

Missingnoleader
Mar 10, 2014

I was there and then I left when it turned out they weren't marching anywhere. It took me an hour to leave.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Missingnoleader posted:

I was there and then I left when it turned out they weren't marching anywhere. It took me an hour to leave.

lol why?

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/822918370433650688

:laffo: at how fragile orange piss baby's supporters are

Kedzie
Dec 13, 2004

they all float down here

Gringostar posted:

If the CIA mind control tech can make several million people march in protest, can it make a man rape a woman in Sweden? Asking for a friend.

Missingnoleader
Mar 10, 2014

I'm not sure if they ended up marching, but they weren't moving at 2:00 pm. The crowds were pretty much packed all the way back down the national mall so it took some time to move down into the Smithsonian Metro station. People were still moving in! Trains were packed. I heard someone say the reason why the march was effectively canceled would be because it would take 2 hours just to march everyone to the white house, which given the numbers, wouldn't really work.

I doubt everyone will get to their busses by 5 though.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

They're saying 5,000+ showed up in Concord, NH today.

Instead of a march we spare out to attend discussion events about going forward from today. Chatted with some nice people.

I liked this dude's sign.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Gringostar posted:

They deleted it. What was it?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Animal-Mother posted:

They deleted it. What was it?

Piers Morgan said, "I'm planning a Men's March. Who's with me?

The reply was, "Nazis, apparently."

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In Boston: Saw a bunch of people headed for a T station with signs this morning.

Wife and I had a half a mind to scrap my plans for the day print out a "I'm not particularly mad about anything" sign and go join the protest. And probably get lynched.

But then we would have missed going out to go watch Fiddler on the Roof a state over.

Welp, that's my story, thanks for listening.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

what are these people doing other than writing signs and then holding the signs

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

OhFunny posted:

They're saying 5,000+ showed up in Concord, NH today.
what are they doing tho?? just standing there?

OhFunny posted:

Instead of a march we spare out to attend discussion events about going forward from today. Chatted with some nice people.
chatted about what??? what are you doing

OhFunny posted:

I liked this dude's sign.
ya it's a cool sign. good stuff. what's that dude gonna do after he's done holding the sign though? go home?

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

it's like they're trying to be internet forums except in real life

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Dicky B posted:

ya it's a cool sign. good stuff. what's that dude gonna do after he's done holding the sign though? go home?

sorry about your retarded brain

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
march attendance blew away expectations today. got a bunch of people signed up for bernie-related progressive activities. don't be so cynical, folkx

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/822897630342762496

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

jarofpiss posted:

thanks fo rthe support

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
if you're concerned about people Not Doing Stuff then show up at the march and invite them to do stuff???

empty critique is a form of slactivism too fyi

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Protesting's for chumps
Winning is for Trumps
Bing Bang Boom.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

LinYutang posted:

march attendance blew away expectations today. got a bunch of people signed up for bernie-related progressive activities.
what are the activities

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

LinYutang posted:

march attendance blew away expectations today. got a bunch of people signed up for bernie-related progressive activities. don't be so cynical, folkx

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/822897630342762496

where the gently caress were they a few months ago?

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
someone reanimate mlk and tell him protesting is bad actually; he's gonna want to hear this

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

protesting is extremely good for organizing and bonding groups and building coalitions and getting people politically involved in the community. people that don't know poo poo about poo poo and just post on the internet don't know this though.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

jarofpiss posted:

protesting is extremely good for organizing and bonding groups and building coalitions and getting people politically involved in the community. people that don't know poo poo about poo poo and just post on the internet don't know this though.
i dont know anuything

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Missingnoleader posted:

They couldn't march, the entire route was so crowded with people there was no way to leave Pershing Square

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Gringostar posted:

They thought a Hillary victory was inevitable so they had the comfort of staying home or voting third party instead.

Now they mad. (Which is good!)

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
I went to the march in my state, 60k people showed up, marched with the demsocs and handed out recruitment literature for the DSA.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Realtalk a big protest is great, counters Trump's bullshit narrative about how he's beloved, bolsters people who feel isolated and is a crucial step toward promoting popular resistance to Trump's administration that any successful campaign to replace him will need to build on. "More people turned out to protest Trump than turned out to celebrate his inauguration" is straight up a good thing and should ideally be true of everything he does, it'd be worth doing even if it does nothing more than piss the thin-skinned narcissist off.

Anyone who complains that the attendees aren't sufficiently ideologically pure or anything less than overthrowing the state and instituting Full Communism Now is a waste of time has no idea how you get from here to there, or anywhere really, since that road always has to pass through large-scale public protests that shake up the narrative and get people more engaged. It should be seen as a boon and opportunity for anyone on the left to tap into.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Gringostar posted:

(Hillary sucked)

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Mayor Dave posted:

They couldn't march, the entire route was so crowded with people there was no way to leave Pershing Square

They eventually started moving up Grand.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Dicky B posted:

Senator Hassan, state reps, and other activists spoke. A lot of talk about coming together against things like defunding PP and standing up for marginalized communities.

One poor Muslim woman from Burma broke down crying talking some of the things said to her in the aftermath of Trump's win. :(

Dicky B posted:

My table of people talked about the erosion of unions and current work-to-freeload that passed the state senate. One older gentleman said he would begin regularly writing his local reps and show up to local meetings more.

Told me I should run for something.

Dicky B posted:

I didn't ask him. Hopefully something good.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

I went to a march in Santa Ana (Orange County) CA, and met some of the people setting up a DSA chapter here. Would not have known they were around had I not shown up this morning!

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I went to the LA one. This is me

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

jarofpiss posted:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Horseshoe theory posted:

And then he'll sign laws restricting/banning abortion, etc. and have it backed up by the Supreme Court, so he'll win in the end anyway. What's your point?

good point maybe you should kill yourself now to beat the rush

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
well i would have put literally the most cursory effort into getting engaged beyond bitching on social media, but Lena Dunham

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
I'm still at the LA one. C'mon lady wife me legs hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

JeffersonClay posted:

I'm still at the LA one. C'mon lady wife me legs hurt.

i was expecting a lot of people but dang that was nuts. was it seriously 750k?

• Locked thread