Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which team will take the division in 2017
This poll is closed.
Pittsburgh Steelers 38 27.54%
Baltimore Ravens 20 14.49%
Cincinnati Bengals 13 9.42%
Yeah just kidding, it'll be one of the other 3 67 48.55%
Total: 138 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

sharknado slashfic posted:

Russellstreetreport.com

He got shut down in the next post anyway -

Elam grew up and went to high school in Palm Beach Gardens, one of the most affluent counties in the America, home to more golf course per capita than anywhere in the country. Yet you assume that he's from the ghetto why?

No need to answer. Your use of the label "thug" along with your inaccurate assumption tells many of us the answer already.

Phew okay good, I wasn't sure if I was gonna have to body you up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Hopefully someone signs him!

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hopefully the Bengals sign him because he owns

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
AB gets $18 mil for 2 years, $17 mil for 3 after. Hot drat, he got Osweiler money.

Also Le'Veon Bell received the franchise tag

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Alshon Jeffery feels like an Ozzie special.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

AB gets $18 mil for 2 years, $17 mil for 3 after.

Ok nevermind maybe not

sharknado slashfic fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 27, 2017

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
lol Elam grew up in Riviera not Gardens

And he drat sure was raised in the hood. His sister and older brother were killed in gang violence

It's why his older brother is so involved with his charity....about gang violence

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Hopefully the Bengals sign him because he owns
yes lord

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Amy Pole Her posted:

And he drat sure was raised in the hood. His sister and older brother were killed in gang violence

It's why his older brother is so involved with his charity....about gang violence

Hmm siding with the racist guy huh :colbert:

e: since I don't post much I'm going to clarify that I'm being sarcastic, Matt Elam has never been good enough for me to care where he's from

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

sharknado slashfic posted:

Hmm siding with the racist guy huh :colbert:

e: since I don't post much I'm going to clarify that I'm being sarcastic, Matt Elam has never been good enough for me to care where he's from

I've known him his and his brother his whole life. They're really great people. I think he got busted carrying weed, stupidly, in Miami dade where it's still a crime versus west palm beach, where he lives, it's a simple misdemeanor ticket

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Amy Pole Her posted:

I went to high school in Riviera Beach. This was pre-Columbine and pre-9/11 and hearing gunshots from the classroom was basically treated the same as hearing a train horn in the distance. The school has since moved and I believe the "security perimeter" is doubled from what it was before. Riviera Beach was basically the model of "white flight" in the 70's and how some suburbs went from super nice to squalor in a matter of years.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Goddammit Sashi, PAY him.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Flikken posted:

Goddammit Sashi, PAY him.

Mitchell Swartz all the gently caress over again.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Hi um change the thread title and gently caress you.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

Hi um change the thread title and gently caress you.

It's still not wrong, 75% of the AFC North owes their current status to Art Modell

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
75% of the division owes their existence to Modell being a bitchmade snowflake.

75% of the division owes their existence to Paul Brown being a loving legend.

You chose poorly.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

75% of the division owes their existence to Modell being a bitchmade snowflake.

75% of the division owes their existence to Paul Brown being a loving legend.

You chose poorly.
Paul Brown owns.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Art Modell is incredibly good

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Metapod posted:

You can rot in hell.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Metapod posted:

Mods

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

art modell fuckin rules

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

thought of this: fart motel

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Cavauro posted:

Nice!

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Cavauro posted:

i stayed there once

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Cavauro posted:

:vince:

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
Paul Blart: Modell Citizen

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Someone tell me how to feel about the Steelers targeting Dre in FA

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

depends on the money

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Someone tell me how to feel about the Steelers targeting Dre in FA

How do you feel about holding penalties on 3rd and long?

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

if the ravens lose brandon williams in FA i will be sad

i'm probably going to be sad

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Can someone explain why the Ravens keep losing their home grown talent like Osemele and Williams to FA? Like who besides Flacco is making so much money that they keep losing their best players?

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Can someone explain why the Ravens keep losing their home grown talent like Osemele and Williams to FA? Like who besides Flacco is making so much money that they keep losing their best players?

if a guy is going to get top $$$ for his position they'll let him walk and take the comp pick

i keep forgetting that FA period really loving sucks for the ravens

the ravens still have a decent front 7 but williams is a true anchor lineman and i just hope he gets out of the AFC at least

osemele was understandable because yea he's amazing but gently caress paying a guard that kind of money

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Ricky Wagner is in the Osmele boat. Good player, impossible to give them that much. The Ravens seem to believe you should pay only the truly irreplaceable.
Also, they've had dead money tied up in Pitta, Nagta, Rice, Webb, J.Smith and other bad situations the past few years so there isn't too much to go around.

Edit: Case in point, Eugene Monroe is currently counting 4.5 million against the cap. He's part of 10 million in dead money.

The Puppy Bowl fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 9, 2017

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Steelers just got out of that dead money crap from Troy, Ike, etc.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Bengals just act like they have crippling dead money.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
gently caress Mike Brown

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

gently caress Mike Brown

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

gently caress Mike Brown

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Weddle is the new secret GM of the Ravens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
This seems accurate

quote:

Bengals make huge mistake in losing Andrew Whitworth to Rams
11:30 AM ET
Katherine Terrell
ESPN Staff Writer

CINCINNATI – This one will sting for a long time.

Bengals left tackle Andrew Whitworth was expected to play his entire career in Cincinnati. Now he’s on his way to Los Angeles to sign a three-year deal with the Rams on the opening day of free agency.

Whitworth received a three-year contract, $36 million contract with the Rams that includes $15 million guaranteed and $2.5 million guaranteed in the second year, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The Bengals' start to free agency already looked bleak before the signing period officially started at 4 p.m. E.T. on March 9.

Now the Bengals have a hole at left tackle, and a huge void left in their locker room.

The Bengals wanted to keep Whitworth, and he wanted to return to Cincinnati. So why didn’t it happen?

It seemed the Bengals targeted Whitworth as priority No. 1 out of their free agents, a group that also includes Kevin Zeitler and Dre Krikpatrick.

But it was head scratching, and perhaps telling sign, that the first major signing of free agency for Cincinnati was not Whitworth, but wide receiver Brandon LaFell instead.

It wasn’t that the Bengals didn’t try. A source close to the negotiations said they were competitive in their offers, but the gap between the money offered the first year, and the amount of fully guaranteed money the second year was just too great.

Whitworth, now 35 and potentially on his last contract, wanted more protection than a one-year deal.

For several years now, the Bengals have been reluctant to give him long-term security based on his age. The Bengals didn't want to mortgage their future salary cap by giving a huge deal to a player who is the oldest at his position in the entire league.

The Bengals tried to plan for this day, looking to the future by drafting tackles Cedric Ogbuehi and Jake Fisher in the first and second rounds of the 2015 draft. But Whitworth was just too good to lose his spot, and Ogbuehi and Fisher just weren’t good enough to even challenge him for it.

To understand just what happened, it would be necessary to go back to 2015, when Whitworth and the Bengals were trying to negotiate a new contract extension. The talks dragged on through September of that year before the Bengals gave in and gave Whitworth a one-year, $9 million extension.

The Bengals’ reluctance to move forward with the negotiations did not sit well with Whitworth’s camp. It was a bitter taste that lingered.

It appeared that both sides were moving forward when the Bengals made offers to Whitworth’s representatives in the weeks leading up to free agency, but did not take the necessary steps to ensure he would not leave for another team.

A source close to Whitworth wondered why the team did not place the franchise tag ($14.8 million cost for one year), or transition tag ($12.6 million).

The transition tag would have allowed them to assess Whitworth’s value while having the opportunity to match, while the franchise tag, though expensive if Whitworth actually played on it, could have protected their investment while they continued to negotiate.

The Bengals did neither.

Now the team is essentially left scrambling. They continue to express optimism in Ogbuehi and Fisher, who were drafted with the idea that they would be the tackles of the future. Neither has even come close to looking like a full-time starter.

Ogbuehi struggled so much at right tackle that the team resorted to rotating him with veteran Eric Winston before finally benching them. They actually moved Whitworth to guard for one game so they could see if Ogbuehi could play left tackle, which he said was his natural position.

It didn’t go much better on that side.

With Whitworth gone, the Bengals have lost the longest tenured player in their locker room, a valuable leader, and the best player on their offensive line.

The team might have balked at paying one of their oldest players so much money, but last year proved Whitworth, who made the Pro Bowl as an alternate, is still as good as he ever was. They should have gritted their teeth and made every effort to match.

Now they’re left watching as one of their best player suits up elsewhere.

• Locked thread