Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Seems like they already started

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Dolphins and Jets are gonna be fun to watch this year. Jets are super young on defense, I love their young safety tandem and the hard hitting way they play defense. Those guys attack the ball and they're really good at stripping it. Then on offense they're a bit thin and erratic but still a good show. I'm really hoping that Teddy takes the field at some point, but I also think Darnold is going to be good. It's amazing how the Jets managed to keep ONE QB and pick up TWO QBs in the offseason and every single one is better than all the QBs in Buffalo.

Then with the dolphins I"m just excited to see Tanny back. I think Tanny is good, he's got a big old arm and he can make some throws that the majority of QBs will never be able to make. I don't think the supporting cast looks great but that's how it goes. Excited for these two teams. Also kind of excited to see how bad the Bills are gonna be

Real hurthling! posted:

My limited knowledge of situation not following sports all summer:
The jets know as well as we do that no top qb would stick with the team if they could leave and if darnold develops into a top qb they dont want to be paying him to play for new england in 2023

What i think:
Lol jets baby

I feel like Darnold is pretty down with the Jets. He's pretty close with McCown and Bridgewater

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Dolphins gonna be mediocre. Again.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

tarbrush posted:

Dolphins gonna be mediocre. Again.

Yeah I agree with that. But I think they're going to be fun to watch, especially against other mediocre teams. And they may surprise a little bit

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They'll trade wins with the jets like always at least

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
IDK what Darnold's agents are trying to do here. Mayfield's contract has offsets in it. They owe it to him to get him out there for this practice in 45 mins.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I’m at least hopeful of a few positions and Im curious how:

-The shaken up OL pass blocks. Kilgore is 50x the run blocker Pouncey was but Pouncey is a pass blocking stud. Also want to see if Josh S lives up to the 2 year rental hype
-Albert Wilson with Danny Amendola, Stills and Parker. Who gets on the field when?
-How Tannehill looks game 1-2, then 3-4. I think he’ll be a bit off at first.
-Minkah Fitz, TJ Macdonald and Reshad Jones on the field at the same time
-Drake handles his full time carries and continues off his last half end of year success in 2017.
-Gase uses his hand picked TE, Mike Gesicki. This is the guy Gase has been waiting for and he seems VERY confident that going with the freak athlete TE over the polished TE was the way to go.

Jets are way too talented to be last place in the league. Give me a break.

Edit omg i forgot about McMillan back at MLB. I think everyone’s forgetting he’s a free 2nd round pick. He’s moving at full speed.

Edit 2 i also want to see how Charles Harris continues his growth. He only had 2 sacks last season but had an insane amount of QB hurries. Wake had a similar first season in Miami.

Can Harris turn those hurries into sacks? That will certainly make this last season of Wake more fun

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 27, 2018

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Still one of the most uncanny throws I've ever seen. Basically sixty yards in the air, free rusher about to pound his poo poo into the ground, and Tannehill fits the ball in to his (extremely well-covered) receiver in the back of the end zone in stride. MOST quarterbacks in the NFL could not make that throw. Dude has some serious, serious arm talent if they can give him enough time and enough talent to work with.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Jets are way too talented to be last place in the league. Give me a break.

Yeah no way, there are definitely gonna worse teams than the Jets, for example the Bills. I actually think the Jets are on the upswing and will have an okay season.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I’m with you

Don’t let mcmagic see this post

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
They won 5 games last season and they have added to that team. I don't get the argument that they are worse... It's a 6-7 win team probably.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Locking in 3 wins this year due to fan optimism

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Locking in 3 wins this year due to fan optimism

If they win 3 but Sam plays alot and plays pretty well I'm fine with that.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Locking in quadruple amputation for sam

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I legitimately don’t understand what you guys see in the Jets. Are we banking on Darnold being a transformational player in his rookie year? Was Trumaine Johnson the missing piece?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Their sos might be easier i guess, they had a rough road last season unless im thinking of 2016

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
They won like five games last year and got better at the most important position.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

fsif posted:

I legitimately don’t understand what you guys see in the Jets.

Are you seriously forgetting one Josh "the better McCown brother" McCown?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

fsif posted:

I legitimately don’t understand what you guys see in the Jets. Are we banking on Darnold being a transformational player in his rookie year? Was Trumaine Johnson the missing piece?

I love their defense and particularly their young safeties. The secondary got better. I don't like McCown that much but I like Bridgewater a lot and I think Darnold is going to be good. You just look at what they've accomplished at quarterback compared to their fellow division team the Buffalo Bills and. . .

I'm not gonna lie it's mostly just a feeling at this point, but I'm not saying they're gonna be world beaters just that they're not the WORST team in the entire league.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

They won like five games last year and got better at the most important position.

They got better all over the field.

fsif posted:

The missing piece to do what? Win 12 games? No. But they have improved a 5 win team on both sides of the ball.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

fsif posted:

I legitimately don’t understand what you guys see in the Jets.

They went from Buttfumble to Not being the worst looking team in the division in relatively short time. Excitement and overhype was bound to come from this turn of events

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Sports Illustrated interview with Landry:

quote:

As the losses piled up for the Dolphins, Landry says he frequently stopped in Adam Gase’s office to plead with the coach. He was basically running only four routes—two in-breaking, two out-breaking, all shallow—and knew he could contribute more. “When I’d go to talk to [Gase] about it, he’d curse me out,” he says. “ ‘Why are you telling me how to do my job?’ It got to the point where the environment was just awful.” (Through a Dolphins spokesman, Gase declined to comment.)

That's the complaint I had about Gase for 2 years. He is a terrible play caller. Let the Offensive Coordinator do his job.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

torgeaux posted:

That's the complaint I had about Gase for 2 years. He is a terrible play caller. Let the Offensive Coordinator do his job.

I’m sure that’s exactly how it played out lol

Everyone else seems to love Gase (Tannehill has said multiple times that Gase is really good about feedback on what plays they feel good about running week to week) so :shrug:

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

torgeaux posted:

This is the new OC though:

Under the guidance of coordinator Dowell Loggains a season ago, Chicago's offense was among the worst in the NFL.

The Bears offense averaged just 287.4 yards per game last season, the third-fewest in the entire league. The unit also averaged just 16.5 points per game, which was 29th-best in the NFL. A lot factors played into Chicago's struggles on offense. Loggains was often too conservative in games, which could have been a product of having a very conservative head coach in John Fox. He also lacked creativity with his game-planning and that was evident on Sundays.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Keeping our new franchise QB out of training camp because we're too worried we might lose 1% of the salary cap if he sucks and plays somewhere else if we cut him. loving Jets, man. I don't even know why Maccagnan could possibly care, if Darnold isn't on the team 3 years from now he's sure as hell not the GM.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Landry’s Fire is his downfall. Dudes an rear end in a top hat and he’s still pretty offended we didn’t pay him, and nobody seemed willing outside of CLE. It’s a pride thing. He considers himself the best receiver in the league.

I’m still going to cheer him in the Browns

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Landry talks like he's a lot better than he actually is.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Brain Curry posted:

This is the new OC though:

Under the guidance of coordinator Dowell Loggains a season ago, Chicago's offense was among the worst in the NFL.

The Bears offense averaged just 287.4 yards per game last season, the third-fewest in the entire league. The unit also averaged just 16.5 points per game, which was 29th-best in the NFL. A lot factors played into Chicago's struggles on offense. Loggains was often too conservative in games, which could have been a product of having a very conservative head coach in John Fox. He also lacked creativity with his game-planning and that was evident on Sundays.

drat. How did Gase manage to find an OC worse than he is?

As for whether it's true or not, that's easy. Find plays where Landry WASN'T running a 4 yard route. They're extraordinarily rare under Gase.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

torgeaux posted:

drat. How did Gase manage to find an OC worse than he is?

As for whether it's true or not, that's easy. Find plays where Landry WASN'T running a 4 yard route. They're extraordinarily rare under Gase.

He had to. The line gave Cutler zero time. Plus cutler is awful.

Landry gets free from his routes and his quick step. You lose that if you ask him to run a post.

I read a great article about how Landry, Stills and Parker’s skill set did not align, mainly bc Stills is such a weak blocker and Landry can’t go deep

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Amy Pole Her posted:

He had to. The line gave Cutler zero time. Plus cutler is awful.

Landry gets free from his routes and his quick step. You lose that if you ask him to run a post.

I read a great article about how Landry, Stills and Parker’s skill set did not align, mainly bc Stills is such a weak blocker and Landry can’t go deep

Gase did this before Cutler, during the year Ajayi carried the team to the playoffs. Landry had those lovely routes then, too. You can't blame Cutler or the line for Gase being a bad play caller.

edit: Not to mention, we ran longer plays to Sills, Parker (jesus) and even Grant.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:rip:

quote:

WKBW's Joe Buscaglia writes Bills rookie Josh Allen has been the best quarterback at camp thus far.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I love that report coming the day after he was lobbing screen passes 6 feet over players’ heads. And yet, given his competition for the job, both stories can be true.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

it was like his first two passes

the narrative has overtaken the real

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I thinks it's pretty hard for fans to objectively observe when a coach is a bad play caller - except for extreme examples like old bed and breakfast - because we really have no idea exactly how the sausage is made on any particular team.

Also lol at Gase being a bad play caller when he was hired because of his playcalling in Chicago.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I thinks it's pretty hard for fans to objectively observe when a coach is a bad play caller - except for extreme examples like old bed and breakfast - because we really have no idea exactly how the sausage is made on any particular team.

Also lol at Gase being a bad play caller when he was hired because of his playcalling in Chicago.

How does being hired for his play calling have anything to do with it? I agree, it's tough for armchair coaches to judge, but two years of dump the ball at the line for most passes is enough to conclude he values them highly, in spite of extremely limited results.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

I look forward to watching every single Bills game this season in my Tyrod Taylor jersey and shaking my head in disgust whenever one of these yokels throws a pick.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

When the jets were throwing 3 yards short of a first down on every 3rd down a few years back it was very clear that rex was not interested in offense and his oc, schotty, was total garbo.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Real hurthling! posted:

When the jets were throwing 3 yards short of a first down on every 3rd down a few years back it was very clear that rex was not interested in offense and his oc, schotty, was total garbo.

Yes, some things can be apparent to the regular viewer.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

torgeaux posted:

How does being hired for his play calling have anything to do with it? I agree, it's tough for armchair coaches to judge, but two years of dump the ball at the line for most passes is enough to conclude he values them highly, in spite of extremely limited results.

Tannehill under Gase had a fantastic deep play percentage.

I’m just not a mega Landry backer. I also think Parker should be cut

Play
Apr 25, 2006

It's easy to identify garbage, lazy play calling when you see it. See the Buffalo Bills consistently rushing on 1st down (and often using Mike Tolbert for the purpose) and rarely getting anything. You get too invested in "establishing the run" (which every coach talks about endlessly) that you put your team in bad situations on third down. When something isn't working you need to change it up and too often that doesn't happen. When play calling gets predictable to the fans you know it's 100 times more predictable to the opposing defense. You have to try to conceal the play each time and be creative. Some coaches call certain plays from the same formation every time or use gadget players the same way every time as well; they think it should work and if it doesn't it's clearly the players' fault.

Another way to identify bad play calling is when it doesn't work to the players', especially the QB's, strengths. You see that kind of thing all the time: they game plan for the QB they want not the QB they have and the same thing with other positions.

Then when you see a really good offensive gameplan you can usually tell too. Kyle Shanahan's time with the Falcons comes to mind as well as Doug Pederson scheming the Vikings' defense into collapse and attacking every weakness the Pats defense had.

More often though it is way too difficult to separate mediocre play calling from mediocre play.

Play fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Amy Pole Her posted:

Tannehill under Gase had a fantastic deep play percentage.

I’m just not a mega Landry backer. I also think Parker should be cut

I am a Tanne believer, and i think gase is why. Gase has it in him to be good, but his play calling isnt his strength, so far as i can see. Landry mostly in short routes, with the occasional straight out of the slot would be great, and would mess coverage the way gronk does from the slot. Landry is an excellent blocker, extremely quick if not fast, but fast enough to get past most safety coverage. I will always wonder what contract he'd have taken the year before.

Everyone but the staff of the fins thinks Parker should be gone.

• Locked thread