Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
They traded up to get Sanchez #5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Barnwell wrote about everyone's offseasons:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/pag...s-new-york-jets

quote:

Bills

What went right

They picked up an extra first-round pick in the 2018 draft by trading down. The Bills shed picks under general manager Doug Whaley, trading up to grab Sammy Watkins and Reggie Ragland during his tenure in charge of the organization. Buffalo drafted just 20 players between 2014 and 2016, and those drafts don't look pretty right now. The most productive player from Whaley's 2014 draft might be Ross Cockrell, who is starting at cornerback for the Steelers (more on Watkins later).

Dolphins

What went right

They bought low on trades for Julius Thomas and William Hayes. Harris, whom the Dolphins acquired from the Rams by moving down 17 spots from their sixth-round pick, will be part of a deep rotation at defensive end, as Miami also brought back Andre Branch. Hayes has benefited from playing alongside some great pass-rushers in the past and had a frustrating season in 2016, but he's a reasonable one-year flyer at $4.8 million.

Patriots

What went right

They maximized their short-term window around Tom Brady. It's weird to say for a team that just won the Super Bowl, but the Patriots conducted most of this offseason like they want to build the best team possible over the next two seasons, as opposed to building a team that is more likely to be great four or five years down the line. It explains their move to trade a first-round pick for Brandin Cooks, who is signed for the next two years at a total of just over $9.2 million. It justifies their aggressive decision to head into free agency and sign Gilmore in lieu of replacing Logan Ryan with a draft pick. They traded for or signed guys in their prime, including Dwayne Allen, Lawrence Guy and Kony Ealy.

Jets

What went right

They (mostly) went all-in with their rebuild. The worst thing the Jets could have done would have been to half-commit to a plan and keep players around for old time's sake. That didn't happen. Among others, the Jets dumped Brandon Marshall, Nick Mangold and Darrelle Revis, moves that might have seemed unthinkable as recently as this time last year. With Matt Forte's contract mostly guaranteed, the only high-priced veteran additions left standing are Eric Decker and Buster Skrine.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Whoa he gave Miami the worst grade out of the 4.

I disagree with a few of his selling points, mainly overpaying our own talent compared to market.

Branch was an overspend. Period.
Stills took a pay cut to stay in Miami. He was offered more by several teams. By that very fact alone how can you claim it's an overspend?
Alonso was locked up a few more years at a reasonable rate.

I'd give our off-season including draft a C+. I hate we ignored guard, for the most part.

But I'm staring at the Jets off-season and seeing that starting offense and just... how is that anything but an F

Edit - wait not an F. I liked their draft. Maybe a D+\C-?

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 16, 2017

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I think an F for the Jets would've been signing Cutler for $15m with 2 years guaranteed, keeping the old veterans around, and like, trading next year's 1st rounder to move up in the draft or something.

Basically just naked Todd Bowles trying to keep his job moves.

Though yeah, I don't think I agree with a D for the Dolphins, I think they made a bunch of moves that keeps them in the hunt for a playoff spot. I honestly didn't look at the grades, and am a bit surprised he's that down on them having read that section.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I honestly expecting Miami to be average with buffalo, jets low, NE high

But that's bc I think NE crushed the off-season

Fox Mulner
Feb 25, 2001

No wonder this clown died, his lungs were filled with CANDY!
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-b
Pretty good article from Armando making GBS threads all over Barnwells typical bs rating for the dolphins

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

On downs when richardson, wilkerson, and williams played at the same time, jets opponents had a qbr of 80 and 8 yards per attempt. Worse stats than when any one of them were on the bench. Not really sure how that happens if they are all monsters individually.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

When you play a 300LB DT at OLB, weaknesses may be present.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Real hurthling! posted:

On downs when richardson, wilkerson, and williams played at the same time, jets opponents had a qbr of 80 and 8 yards per attempt. Worse stats than when any one of them were on the bench. Not really sure how that happens if they are all monsters individually.

Are they much better when only 2 or 1 of them play? I would guess that that had a lot more to do with the horrific secondary and linebacker play they got last year... (Not saying that they don't need to get rid of at least 1 of the 3...)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The espn article i read on the train about it said it was a big gulf but i dont remember the numbers now.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/Connor_J_Hughes/status/867031857879240705

Just gonna leave this here.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/mmehtanydn/status/867041007505993728

:chloe:

also when I went to get that tweet I found this

https://twitter.com/tweetlikeagiri/status/867041484620668928

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

quote:

Jets QB Josh McCown is getting the first-team reps and looks sharp. Christian Hackenberg, almost picked off on his first pass attempt in team drills, is working with the second team today. Still waiting for this so-called QB competition to get real.

Rich Cimini, ESPN Staff Writer

These are never not entertaining.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

What about Bryce Petty?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Is geno still on the team? Have him and petty fight to the death to be 3rd string

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Geno is on the Giants now

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Docjowles posted:

Geno is on the Giants now

Lol

Nov 6, 2002

Just an ACL away.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Eli has never missed a game and that signing is the Giants spitting into God's eye.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I couldn't have been a good enough person in a previous life to see Geno Smith: Starting QB for the Giants.

Nov 6, 2002

Imagine a New York Giants team with Beckham and Geno Smith starting. Crusty old writers would have heart attacks from all the pounding they'd do on their typewriters every Monday.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Imagine a New York Giants team with Beckham and Geno Smith starting. Crusty old writers would have heart attacks from all the pounding they'd do on their typewriters every Monday.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lol

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Bring back Jared Lorenzen.

Backup QB/Swing tackle.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Harris to pats is a brilliant strategy to ensure that games with a 1% chance of victory go to .01%

Jets really focusing on the details this year.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Harris to pats is a brilliant strategy to ensure that games with a 1% chance of victory go to .01%

Jets really focusing on the details this year.

Harris isn't a good player anymore. I like him as a person and it will be a feel bad to see him on that shitfuck team but it's a meh football move.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

woody knows its gonna be a rough stretch. got his bestie trump to pay for a long vacation to get out of town

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19711821/new-york-jets-owner-woody-johnson

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

mcmagic posted:

Harris isn't a good player anymore. I like him as a person and it will be a feel bad to see him on that shitfuck team but it's a meh football move.

I think his benefit is more in durability than pure talent, he's missed one game in the last 7 years and it was some minor thing at the start of last season. If he can be good against the run and always be available, that's enough to provide some value and get snaps.

The other notable names in the LB group basically all have injury histories/concerns. Hightower has never strung together a full healthy season, Freeny missed significant time last year, Ninkovich was out for PEDs to start 2016 but was also recovering from an injury and would have missed those games anyways, also started 2015 hurt. McClellan misses games every year.

Not a massive signing but Harris makes sense at an insurance policy at worst. Also checks off "AFC east incest" and "ring chasing vet on final contract" squares on the Patriots Offseason Bingo card.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.google.com/amp/deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2017-new-york-jets-1797496551/amp

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
With Tannehill going down this division looks even more like poo poo than usual.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

pasaluki posted:

With Tannehill going down this division looks even more like poo poo than usual.

Actually, Handsome Jimmy G looked pretty good tonight

Jacoby "Where's the Beef" Brisket, less so

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jets traded richardson for an actual wr and a 2nd rnd pick. I was kinda looking forward to seeing legendarily bad throwing stats and now they might be only extremely bad.

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

Chad Pennington is Patriots kryptonite and therefore a true American hero.

This, except Eli Manning

Nov 6, 2002

Real hurthling! posted:

Jets traded richardson for an actual wr and a 2nd rnd pick. I was kinda looking forward to seeing legendarily bad throwing stats and now they might be only extremely bad.

I think you might be overestimating Jermaine Kearse. Hell, chances are one of the fork and spoon operators already on the Jets WR corp are better than him.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah I'm having trouble thinking of a single other team where Kearse could have landed and been in the WR1 conversation. I guess the Bears now that Meredith is dead? That he's an immediately useful asset says more about the Jets than him.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

But hes got as many rings as the team!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Craig carton busted for running a ticket ponzi scheme is a fun ny sports headline today.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Excited for the Oklahoma City Dolphins to win the division.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The soon to be 0-16 Jets are a half a game ahead of the Patriots. FYI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

imagine a boot with a hole worn in the sole...

• Locked thread