Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

julian assflange posted:

lol that could be an inspired gently caress up

Prescient!

Somebody needs to bronze and trophy-ize that fuel filler nozzle and cap. My goodness.

Context: #29 Land Audi R8 had sputtered and made an unplanned stop with ~an hour to go, so they think the race is done. They come in for the final splash-and-dash, and gently caress up the fuel filling -- not filling it up, almost sending the car out on slicks without enough fuel.

They pull it back and re-fill, then decide "oh gently caress it's raining" and throw the slicks on. Mind you this is all in the same stop. And they go from almost falling off the podium to being the only team on wets on a pouring wet track.

My goodness indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

wicka posted:

I will, but I recall from a few years ago that they don't have camera crews on track overnight, so it was mostly static CCTV shots until dawn.

In-car shots and pit lane work at night, awwww yeeeeaaahhh

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

WindyMan posted:

Getting 24 hours of camera coverage is easy for Daytona, but complete overnight coverage of a place like Le Mans or the Nurburgring is asking a lot.

Powered by Rooftop Ray, the hero we need.

Besides, the real best coverage at night at Le Mans is when somebody is brave enough to play man on the street in drunk-land on the infield.

I need to check if Toyota is doing something at MegaWeb in Odaiba (they've had watch parties of the beginning/end of the race there in the past) but otherwise I'll make a Mission Control in my apartment.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

If the stream that nurburgring 24 had on youtube was repeated for Le Man it would make me a happy man. Half of what I ended up watching on the Sunday was night stuff due to being in Australia but I think they covered it well. I'm also not about to sink money into pay tv for a race or two a year but stacks of Australian and international stuff is only available that way but I still don't want to sign up

if your Australian internet is above "tin can" level, you can pay ~5-10 euro for access to the WEC App/website for just Le Mans. That'll give you their full TV coverage. But if you liked the N24 coverage, the radio crew who did that - Radio Le Mans - will be doing free streams. They'll definitely have audio, and most likely that audio will be partnered with a couple different in-car streams (Audi always had one, Corvette did too IIRC).

I'm planning on beaming WEC App access to the TV on Chromecast, and playing the RLM audio off my computer or phone.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

my religion forbids me from giving the FIA/ACO money

So you'll give that to FOX instead...?

It's 30 euro for the whole season and it's gotten even better (both app and website-wise), that deal kicks the poo poo out of paying for cable or trying to rig together a FS Go stream.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

julian assflange posted:

Find a Eurosport stream and that will do. They have ad breaks every 30mins (short but always the same ones) and then nothing in the last hour of the race.

I dunno I've had to rely on that occasionally but if there's an inexpensive, transparent, easy to use way to get access I'll go for that, especially streaming. It's one part "support the series" and one part amazement we have access to this for the price. Just the Le Mans race is $6 if memory serves.

Or check out Radio Le Mans at least.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I dunno, Allan MacNish gives Hindy a run for his money.

Hello, Allan

"Hello, Collective"

Yeah I'll probably mix the app and RLM. Looking forward to it!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Just saw this on Japanese TV, cool they're showcasing it ahead of the 24 next week.

https://youtu.be/7_6Y9HDgSVY

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Basticle posted:

I was looking at the spotters guide and saw that the #27 LMP2 has an all-Russian driver lineup. I cant wait to see who's race they gently caress up.

It's been that way for a while, but would be funny for the 27 to take out one of the American Ford GTs because Aleshin brings IndyCar beef to Le Mans.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

track day bro! posted:

Big Kamui ftw.

Let's not forget this Kamui gem

http://t.co/h7pVwbeMlm?amp=1

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

im rooting against toyota and also all the Orecas

e: i want to clarify that i am, however, rooting for all Orcas everywhere

Rooting against Toyota after last year is only for the heartless. They also have three cars versus two from Porsche, so. More bullets in the gun, as some like to say.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

Yeah, but it may be better for laptimes to be going 220 down the entire mulsanne (assuming the chicanes were gone) instead of 211 like they do now, but give a little back through the porsche curves. I dunno though, my Lemans setup experience is limited to the lovely sliders in Forza and lots of yelling.

It's not aero, it's the engines and hybrids. The hybrid motor usage is capped such that they basically rocket boost the P1s to 190 and then the gasoline engines struggle them to up 205. Kamui's lap I think he topped at 330 kph/roughly 205 mph.

If it was the previous Audi R15/Peugeot 908, they might hit higher top speeds in that hypothetical situation.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Yeah this is the first time I've had issues with it. I dunno if it is more popular now or they switched stream people or something

I had some issues too, I think their servers have let smoke out to be honest. And the main feed has been dropping via Chromecast too.

(I feel like the RLM team may get better business from IMSA, which they also run, than the WEC but that's pure speculation on my part)

I almost feel like I'm going to have to get to bed before things get really spicy, unfortunately.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

Williams should ditch Stroll and Massa and bring Prost and Senna

They had Senna, let's not forget.

Nico Lapierre wanted to launch the Toyota into orbit apparently.

[Edit] GT Am Porsche just got smashed by the 26 G-Drive P2 car, in the Porsche Curves no less, there goes one from my predicted P2 podium.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 17, 2017

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I kind of can't believe that Porsche drove away from that :psyduck:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

69 Ford about to go into the garage. Not nice.

26 G-Drive also has retired.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

njsykora posted:

There is effectively one LMP1 car left running.

nah, the 2 Porsche and 8 Toyota have been repaired but are way down, the 9 is stopped just in front of pit in though :smith:

man. Toyota and Le Mans. Forever cursed.

[edit]

VikingSkull posted:

the 24 hours of clownshoes

Le Mans is still an endurance race

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Basticle posted:

It was Lapierrre's own fault for trying to push it 100% back to the pits.

RLM studio was hypothesizing it was stuck in a higher gear and couldn't shift down, but not sure.

I want either a Rebellion to win or actual chaos to happen and the 8 Toyota to rise from it's grave.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

The real question is will it take less time for Toyota's board to announce the shutting down of the LMP1 programme or will that actually take 24 hours?

are you kidding me, they didn't quit after last year, there's no way this is the reason they'll pull out. it's being run and funded by the engineers, not the marketing people, remember. They'll want to win this drat thing out of spite.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Fauxhawk Express posted:

A Senna and a Prost winning Le Mans in the same car would be p cool too.

in the Vaillante car for maximum :france:

[edit] the other #13 car has Nelson Piquet "let's see the lamp" Jr. and David Heinemeier Hansson, a programmer with far too much money.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

This is the most :japan: thing ever but I would expect nothing less from the firm that took a loss on every LFA.

Akio Toyoda basically created the Gazoo Racing brand as a lark to go to the Nurburgring 24 Hours, and now it's their official branding for factory teams. It's operated in Germany but includes Japanese engineers, and again, that's where the budget comes from. These guys have pride and won't have wanted to lose this through stupid problems, especially not after dominating qualifying and the first two WEC rounds. Toyota most likely had a very big hand in the rules for P1 Hybrid which were proposed on Friday, don't forget.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

orange juche posted:

Huh I just realized that no Japanese manufacturer has won Le Mans since 91 when Mazda won it. :thunk:

This year doesn't look like the year for that either.

At least one or two Mazda dudes put the champagne on ice ala the 1972 Dolphins once those two Toyotas went out within one hour of each other.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tracy Krohn did something stupid, finish your drinks y'all

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

drgitlin posted:

What a magnificent event. Camping at the Porsche Curves, have been here since Thursday. We set off at 11pm to circumnavigate the circuit before sunrise, which we just managed. Watching the cars accelerate out of Mulsanne Corner when it's pitch black was surreal.

It's also super-hot. Not quite WEC @ COTA heat (yet) but not far off. Can't say I have a good handle on what's happened in the race but that seems incidental because we're having such a good time.

I'm guessing it's cooler because I'm also guessing it's not quite Texas Humid.

a great GTE Pro battle, the usual shenanigans from P2 non-pros and GTE Ams, and I'm sure you've counted and realized only one Toyota is still out there. The more recent :smith: news is the 31 Rebellion having problems, the 13 is still 2nd in class / 3rd overall.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

No oil pressure, and the #1 Porsche is stuck on the Mulsanne. Not looking good for the leader.

drgitlin posted:

It's been about 60-65% relative humidity. But even without hot and cold running hospitality (RIP Audi LMP1 program) it's been manageable. Camping at ALMS and then IMSA races at VIR and Watkins Glen teaches you a lot that comes in handy in such occasions. A pump shower is useful to get a bit of evaporative cooling every now and again. ;)

yeah it's June so I'm becoming more and more aware and worried about being a walking sweat hog in Tokyo, and I've found 70% is the point where you just start precipitating out of nowhere (even if it's only like 18 degrees). Not looking forward to the inevitable 28 degree / 90 percent humidity days coming soon.

[edit]

geonetix posted:

#2 is only 2 laps back from the LMP2 leader if I read this correctly, but it's a lot of time to make up

you would think the car could make it, but in the Radio Le Mans booth their analyst says the #2 catching the #38 could come down to the last lap on current pace :psyduck:

harperdc fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 18, 2017

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

jacteh posted:

My best guess at the maths:
#38 is 11-12 minutes ahead of #2, 220 minutes to go - about 65 laps
If they're within ~10s of the #2's lap times average over the rest of the race and they're home

and RLM's Truswell was saying this stint the average difference was 11 seconds, which is what's needed for the #2 to overhaul the #38, most likely right at the end.

BUCKLE UP, BOYS AND GIRLS, THIS IS GONNA BE A WILD FINISH

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

financially racist posted:

but this assumes no more slow zones/safety cars

we already had one slow zone, so

that was also with the #2 in something of a cruise mode.

who knows. just can watch and find out.

wouldn't mind the #38 winning seeing as it's basically JOTA Sport by another name running that team!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Xisticide posted:

Long stop for the #38, changing the rear clip because the lights aren't on

That was a known issue but the result is they've dropped another minute to the #2 Porsche.

And let's see if the Porsche survives. What a test.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Brainwrong posted:

Same here. What the heck is going on and why is it Jackie Chan?

Porsche and Toyota have each lost cars to retirement, the 7 Toyota lost its clutch and couldn't get back; the 9 Toyota list a tire after the 7's caution; the 8 Toyota fell down a couple hours early with a hybrid motor problem. The 2 Porsche lost an hour with the same.

This left the 1 Porsche out front with a 13 lap lead. And then, the oil pressure was gone, and the hybrid electric couldn't drag it around. Leader out.

Meanwhile, the legion of LMP2s just kept going. Jackie Chan DC Racing (operated by former Le Mans P2 winners Jota Sport) jumped up near the front of that queue by keeping its nose clean. And when troubles hit another P2 leader, both Rebellions 13 and 31, it jumped to 2nd and inherited the lead after the 1 Porsche died.

And now the 2 Porsche is trying to chase it down for the overall win.

What a race.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

Also, Jackie Chan racing is taking it pretty well. I'm sure they

HOLY gently caress THAT PASS

Anyway, I'm sure they're like "Yeah, it was only a matter of time, what can ya do. Hey, we get to say we lead overall for a while though!"

Word is they're not supposed to draft the GT cars to prevent over-heating. They may be nursing the car home.

The thing about the GTE Pro order was for about the first half of the race, first through eighth were all within close distance and on the same lap. So if you were leading and pitted first, you'd drop down to sixth for a few laps.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I love the Rebellion 13 P2 prototype requiring highly technical whacks of a hammer to the starter motor after every pit stop. Brilliant.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Basticle posted:

2013 Porsche
2014 Ferrari
2015 Corvette
2016 Ford
2017 Aston Martin

different winner every eyar

The top 5 in GTE Pro this year had all five marques represented. And was incredibly close after 24 hours. Unreal.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

It technically is a road car.

To be a street car in the rules at that time, they needed to designate a trunk.

The designer pointed to the area where the fuel tank was and said it was also the trunk.

The designer was French, so.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

drgitlin posted:

The giant gently caress-off diffuser version was new for last year is what I meant.

So was the escape hatch and a couple other things because of the regulation changes, but while others made new cars, Aston's is just a revision of the current AFAIK. The biggest change for them is the partnership with Dunlop, which is why I had them tabbed to take class this year.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

The ACO/FIA is the least of his worries.

Not too many places in the world that you can hide from yakuza.

He's never going to step foot in Nagoya ever again. He might not make it to Fuji Speedway if he's racing in the WEC.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

Wasn't Audi's shift to all-electric racing a VW group decision? I'd love to see more factories in LMP1 but Merc and Ferrari are both focused on F1 so who's left after that? I'd get very, very excited about an LMP1 with the McLaren P1 power train and sound but after their recent F1 efforts they have enough problems.

Audi was always going to join in Formula E apparently, according to plans, but it's very minimal involvement and investment at this point. Cutting the WEC team was to attempt to get rid of a ~$200-250 million/year program; the Formula E program is probably less than $10m including activation.

As well, a rumor/story was that VAG could approve of both Audi and Porsche being in LMP1 because one was using gasoline and the other diesel. With the diesel engines having such a negative image, they couldn't afford doing that, and weren't "allowed" to develop a new engine to continue in the WEC.

Dieselgate is going to cost VAG a tooooooooooooooon of money. Billions of dollars. I'm sure it's a reason why the Porsche LMP1 program is being rumored too.

---

Peugeot remains the rumored company to join the WEC and Le Mans, and considering Renault is in F1 and Peugeot has great history at the 24 (and is French...) you have to think they'll come. Nissan may increase their involvement, Honda has been rumored, I would love to see Mazda come back but I think they're focused on IMSA and American junior series at this point, which means Japan isn't interested at all. And who knows, if Porsche leaves (or cuts the Prototype program but keeps their GTE program) I wouldn't be shocked to see Audi push to come back into Prototype racing. The 24 became massive for the Audi brand.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The proposed new LMP1H rules look to keep things at a lower cost level and maintain stability, and there's already been positive sounds that a hypothetical new manufacturer would get concessions. So Peugeot may have less cash available but it still seems like they're rolling out the carpet to get them in.

drgitlin posted:

BMW wants to enter in 2020 with stupid H2-powered cars. (Stop trying to make hydrogen a thing!)

yeah agreed it's not the best decision moving forward.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Even loving Yacaman rolls a 20 now and again. Jesus.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Schlesische posted:

IMSA isn't going to be a huge prestigious lure that drags good Euro-drivers across the pond, and I doubt Honda is super keen to invest megabucks making it so.

Unless there are factories involved - shout out to Gimmi Bruni.

There will probably be a mix of Penske guys (JPM and Helio obviously potentially full-time) and Honda guys. Look at who they have in IMSA and PWC now for hints as to who may be involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

gret posted:

I would think driving for basically a factory Honda team for Roger Penske would be a better gig than driving for privateer teams in LMP2. Maybe the Russian/Chinese oligarchs funding those privateer teams pay really well, who knows?

If you're in WEC, you're in the world championship, you're going to Le Mans, and you're using that exposure trying to line up some kind of factory or in-house (e.g. for Manor or Jota) drive. Or you're a factory driver out on loan (a bunch of Audi drivers were P2 except for driving the third car at Spa/Le Mans). And if you're European you may prefer that vs heading over to the States.

I still think you need to look at American-based Honda-connected drivers when theorycrafting your Penske Acura lineups. It's an IMSA program run by HPD, think accordingly.

• Locked thread