Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Racing this weekend:

Venue: Daytona International Speedway Road Course

IMSA Continental Tire Sportscar Challenge: BMW Endurance Challenge at Daytona

Qualifying: Thursday, Jan 26 5:30-6:00 PM EST
Race: Friday, Jan 27 12:15-4:15 PM EST

Streaming worldwide on: http://imsatv.imsa.com/
(not sure if quali will be streamed with video, but there should at least be audio commentary on radio le mans)

The Classes:
Grand Sport:
GT4 homologated hardware and 2016 legacy GS cars. GT4 are paddle shift, GS are manual.
(this seems to be out of date for the GT4 hardware, take it with a grain of salt)

IMSA posted:

As with all Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge cars, GS class cars start out as stock, production model cars that race with minor modifications only. The GS class contains the top performing cars and include the Aston Martin Vantage, BMW M3, Chevy Camaro GS.R, Ford Shelby GT350R-C, Ford Mustang Boss 302 R, Nissan 370Z, Porsche 911 and Subaru WRX-STI. The engines are tuned to produce between 400 and 500 horsepower and are capable of speeds in excess of 175 mph.

Street Tuner: IMSA's bastard child Touring Car class, manual transmission only

IMSA posted:

The ST class is also production based with much of the car using the same stock parts you would find on your passenger car. This class is limited to four- and six-cylinder and rotary engines. The ST class includes the Audi S3, BMW 128 and 325, Honda Civic Si, Hyundai Genesis, Mazda MX-5, Nissan Altima and Porsche Boxster and Cayman. The engines are tuned to produce between 220 and 280 horsepower and are capable of speeds in excess of 150 mph.

IMSA Weathertech Sportscar Championship: Rolex 24 at Daytona

Qualifying: Thursday, Jan 26 3:10-4:40 PM EST
Race: Saturday January 28, 2:30 PM EST - Sunday January 29 2:30 PM EST

Streaming on FSGo with FS1 credentials, or Internationally (or with a VPN) on http://imsatv.imsa.com/

The Classes:
Read the OP, I'll make a big write-up later.

Do you guys like this sort of upcoming weekend announcement? If so I can keep it up for all the series that I follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
He didn't get to use all the racing driver excuses he had thought up.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Man I wish I could be there. I think since my dad retires this year, we're gonna do 2018 Rolex24, and maybe stick around for the 500, if cost and time off allows. I think this year we're gonna hit the VIR races, cause the tickets and RV spots are dirt effing cheap.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I hope they're not running with those drive planes.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Marauder Stig posted:

I'll be the one to say it

I like that livery and it doesn't look like a confederate flag. Does this look like a confederate flag?

Anyways, I can't wait for Saturday. I bought a pair of These and I can't wait to break them in...or find out they don't work too well at the track.

I agree totally, though it might not have that much of a livery, it crashed hard in practice two and they're replacing the tub.

Also, those Howards are the best bang for the buck active earpro on the market. You may experience some fatigue with them on your head all day, but they're the most effective option outside of $250 MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X with gel cup upgrade.

I've got both, and you made a good choice. If you use them a lot, be careful for the ear cups wearing out. They'll stop fitting right and let sound in. In that case, buy the hygiene kit and replace the cups and the foam inside and they'll be good as new.

I have spent way too much money on earpro, and I'm looking to buy a $300 set of Etymotic Research in-ear ones, though being single sided deaf, i only *really* need one, and a foam earplug in the deaf one will work :downs:

Sucks liking guns and racing and having poo poo hearing.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

no bones about it posted:

The howards might not work too well at Daytona, due to the sound reflecting off the banking and generally always being above the 82dB cutoff. I could see how they would be really useful at other road courses though.

Good point, I forgot about the hard cutoff. Either way, still gonna be better than passive earpro, and good enough without spending $gently caress on nicer ones.

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 27, 2017

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
http://imsamultimedia-lh.akamaihd.net/i/multimedia_01@172999/master.m3u8

Conti BMW Endurance Challenge is live, there's a stream link.

Already some strife for one of the mclarens causing the race to start under yellow

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Stream is working just fine for me from the US, through PIA VPN exiting in the UK. gently caress Fox.

Interesting strategy play by the #70 Mazda, trading track position for clean air running.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

njsykora posted:

God I hope this season isn't just the Cadillacs stomping everyone in prototype.

Caddy and Nissan only ones on the lead lap at this point. Seems like the Caddys need a little something more to slow them down though. On pure pace they dominate.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Cygni posted:

Pretty impressive that the lexus could get that tore up and not have more problems, honestly. Did a good job keeping that area around the tire clear of anything important.

Yeah, jesus that lexus got hosed by that tire. Never seen a tire fail like that and take so much bodywork with it

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
gently caress yes, what goes around comes around. Eat poo poo AXR.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Awww RGR Sport has backed out of the '17 WEC, citing economic woes in Mexico.

Thanks, Donnie t:mad:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
:siren: RACING THIS WEEKEND :siren:

Series: SRO Intercontinental GT Challenge

Venue: Mount Panorama Racing Circuit, Bathurst, New South Wales, Australia
Circuit Length: 6.213km
Length of Conrod Straight = 1.916km
Length of Mountain Straight = 1.111km
Lap record: 2:01.567 (Shane van Ginsbergen, 2016, McLaren 650S GT3)

Bathurst 12hr

Schedule:
http://www.bathurst12hour.com.au/the-event/schedule/

All times below EST (GMT-5)

Feb 02
4:10 PM - Bathurst 12h Practice
8:30 PM - Bathurst 12h Practice

Feb 03
12:00 AM - Bathurst 12h practice
3:55 PM - Bathurst 12h practice
6:30 PM - Bathurst 12h qualifying
11:30 PM - Bathurst 12h Top Ten Shootout

Feb 04
1:00 PM - Countdown to Green
1:40 PM - Bathurst 12h Race
7:00 PM - Bathurst 12h race

Streaming:
Quali, Top 10 Shootout and Race Broadcast: https://www.bathurst12hour.com.au
Top 10 Shootout and Race Broadcast on NismoTV Youtube
All sessions in audio at Radio Le Mans

Timing and Scoring:
https://livetiming.getraceresults.com/bathurst#screen-results

The Classes:
http://www.bathurst12hour.com.au/race-information/entry/

Class A - GT3 Pro, Pro/Am, Am

stolen and revised from the 2015 thread posted:

Started in 2005 this class of GT cars was built with the intention of bringing in several one make series cars and really any racecar under homologation rules to run in this series. In this way you get a vast amount of cars from McLaren 650’s to Bentley Continental to Chevrolet Camaro.. Usually not ran by a factory team but by privateers and rich people who can fund these cars. That’s why at Spa you get 60 some odd cars for the running and most like to get Ferraris Lamborghinis and almost kill people with them if the 2014 race was any idea. Cars of all sorts can be made put into GT3 by homologation rules and balance of performance so you get such a wide array of cars, but it’s preferable to get newer cars with development closer to the manufacture (looking at Bentley, Cadillac, and McLaren).

quote:

Pro – for entries featuring all-professional drivers
Pro/AM – for entries featuring a maximum of two (2) professional / seeded drivers.
Am – for entries featuring a maximum of one (1) professional / seeded driver.

Class B - GT3 Cup

quote:

Basically 911 GT3 RS's, but race prepped. Often seen in spec races against other 911 GT3 Cup Cars, these are basically regular old 911's but racecar. There are several generations of them in current use today, Current ones are 991.2, 991, and 997 generation cup cars

Class C - GT4

shamelessly stolen from Opposite Lock posted:

The GT4 class was created to support the GT3 class with a true low tech amateur sports car series. The GT4 class consists of cars that are much closer to the road cars they are based on over than the other classes featured here. GT4 cars are often referred to as "Track Day" cars, as they are at price points that make them very accessible to gentleman drivers who want racing experience. The GT4 class is often seen accompanying GT3 classes in series around the globe. You'll also see GT4 class cars compete in single make series.

Class D - Invitational

quote:

The sloppy seconds, whatever's left over that SRO let in to fill out the grid. For Bathurst, expect lots of MARC V8 Supercars, and the occasional random race converted street car that doesn't fit somewhere else in the grid.

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 2, 2017

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
:laffo:

that rude gesture on passing

only in australia

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Never have I seen so many rude hand gestures in a race broadcast

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Shouldn't have named the team "Wall Racing"

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Are wrc replays available anywhere? I want to check them out to see if I like it.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
In addition to Honda-Oreca, Midweek Motorsport has been rumoring an Alfa-Romeo DPi bid as well, which would make 5.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Oh shoot, PWC is this weekend too. Forgot to put a post up.

SHORT VERSION OF RACING THIS WEEKEND

Pirelli World Challenge Round 1 and 2

Streets of St. Petersburg, FL
http://www.racingcircuits.info/north-america/usa/st-petersburg.html

Classes:
GT/GTA: GT3 cars. GTA is Amateurs
GT Cup: 911 GT3 Cup cars
GTS: GT4 cars

Streaming: http://motortrendondemand.com/
probably requires a login, but the races are free

Schedule:
Race 1 GTS already happened.
Saturday:
9:35am-10:35am EST - Race 1 GT/GTA/GTC
12:55pm-1:45pm EST - Race 2 GTS
Sunday:
3:15pm-4:15pm EDT - Race 2 GT/GTA/GTC

Oh and there's some boring open wheel stuff going on there too

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
BoP for Sebring is out.

P:
Cadillac got another nerf, -.6mm more restrictor, and 20kg
Total nerf since Daytona: +20kg, -2.5mm intake, -7L gas, -2.5mm fuel filler
Mazda got a *huge* body gurney, 65mm maximum, googling says that should increase rear DF quite a bit, but also increase drag, so expect lower top speeds and higher cornering I guess.

GTLM:
BMW +4L fuel tank
Ferrari 2mm wider fuel filler
Porsche +3L and 1mm wider fuel filler

GTD:
Acura +20kg, +1L, more boost in the low revs
Audi +5kg
Lexus -1L
Merc +20kg, 1.5mm wider restrictor plate (x2), +2L
Porsche +2L

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
JDC-Miller on top in FP1 at Sebring.

Looks like the BoP is fairly decent, at least on raw pace. The fuel stuff with the caddy could be a backbreaker for them. ESM's a bit off though.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Note for fox users, the fs1 coverage starts at 12:30. Fsgo has it from 10:30, flag to flag.

I'll personally be watching on the IMSA TV stream, through a paid VPN to dodge the geoblock.

Sorry about the lack of a post this weekend, been busy.

12h mugello is also a thing this weekend, probably on YouTube but who cares, Sebring.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
And one of the fords is acting up already

e: flat for the 55 mazda

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 18, 2017

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Why do racecars have such trouble with starters? are they underbuilt for lightness or something?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

dentist toy box posted:

What happened to half the prototype field so early in the race?

Sebring happened.

70 speared the tires, brake failure
55 had engine trouble
2/22 had engine trouble,
90 i believe engine trouble
52 engine trouble
13 engine trouble
31 starter trouble

The gibson V8 is not looking very strong here

it's currently only the 3 caddies and JDC's oreca ahead of the other classes, with 85 and 31 2 and 3 laps down, respectively

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
The fcy timing couldn't have been more perfect.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

njsykora posted:

Shame Prototype looks set to be a Cadillac stomp the whole way.

Ultimate pace seemed pretty fair except for Mazda this go-round, pro-am Spec P2 #85 kept up with the Caddies for quite some time. The Gibson, Nissan, and Mazda protos just need to work on not breaking. That's the big advantage Cadillac has, with the time-tested 6.2 LS that isn't working very hard to make power level and is a known-reliable engine.

That and the Cadillac's torque.

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 19, 2017

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

orange juche posted:

They were able to keep pace last year before the power boost going to DPi, but they might need to work on a new engine design for next year.

Bad part is, Mazda makes no V6 in the skyactiv line, and the larger displacement MZRs are all stroked, the bore is almost identical in all the models, which means lower redline and slower revving, not something you want in a 600hp target engine

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
A Mazda owning buddy of mine pointed out a flaw in using the bigger engines in that line. The bore is nearly the same on all of them, with only the stroke increasing significantly. This kills the high revs they need to make power.

E: derp I already pointed that out

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Cygni posted:

Mazda no longer sells any V6 streetcars worldwide. for marketing, i'm guessing they would want to stick with a a DI I4. i think AER's initial design rationale for going with a 2.0 was to keep reciprocating mass as low as possible in the engine, which worked well with the ultra light weight casting they were doing. but running against big, simple NA engines with better funded teams is really highlighting the compromises you make for that formula.

AER could develop a 2.5 engine and keep the marketing clean (mazda makes a street 2.5 turbo in its new CX-9) and address some of the issues, but those big V8s just have an inherent advantage unless you make them pay for their weight.

And really, the LS in the Caddy probably isn't much heavier than the MZR-R, with headers and all the turbo plumbing taken into account. Those things are stupidly light for such a big displacement motor.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Cygni posted:

I don't think they were as far ahead at Sebring as Daytona. Gonna be fun!

Totally agree. TBH if the other teams get their reliability sorted (since BoP shouldn't factor that at all), the Gibsons definitely have the pace to keep up and hustle the Cadillacs at Sebring BoP levels. We saw that with the Pro-Am team of JDC-Miller (banana car!), keeping up with the Caddies relatively well.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

iospace posted:

Also Rebellion had a good run too at Sebring until it fell apart.

Definitely. I suspect they'll be hard to beat at Watkins Glen and Petit LeMans after all their WEC experience coming soon.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
2017 Porsche LMP1 spotted:

Ban for Anime

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
:stare: the car

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Stuff I might watch this weekend:

Blancpain GT Sprint Series Round 1: Misano
Saturday, 2:40-3:40 pm EDT - Qualifying Race
Sunday, 6:30-7:30 am EDT - Main Race
All GT3 Cars.
NismoTV usually has a non-geoblocked stream but I haven't heard anything about one this time round.

Creventic Touring Car Endurance Series: 24h Silverstone
Saturday 10:30 am EDT - Sunday 10:30 am EDT - Race
Touring and GT4 cars, apparently.
24htceseries.com

Also Formula E is in Mexico but there's another thread for that.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Awww, delta wing :(

:rip:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Huge first lap carnage on the first lap of the Blancpain Misano Quali race, red flagged.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
When does ITV typically post up the replays from BTCC? All I see are last year's races.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Sports car racing this weekend: everyone's in socal except the dudes in Austria

Long Beach:
IMSA WeatherTech,
P, GTLM, GTD
Qualifying 7:30pm EDT Friday
Race 4:05pm EDT Saturday
FS1 or IMSA TV streaming

Pirelli World Challenge
GT, GTA
Race 1pm Sunday
Motor Trend on Demand streaming

Red Bull Ring:
Creventic 12h:
Race:
Part 1 already in progress 7a-1p EDT Friday
Part 2 3am EDT
Radio Le Mans has this one streaming.

And also that Indy car thing too I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
In other news, the BTCC brands hatch replays are up, finally.

• Locked thread