Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Huh that's weird, it's not blocked in the UK which seems like where it'd be blocked given the TV deal.

E: Massive oil leak on the grid :getin:

njsykora fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Apr 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Billy Monger, the 17 year old who was in that horrific British F4 crash at the weekend is losing both his legs. His team has set up a donation page to help fund his rehab. I figured he wasn't gonna have full leg ability after that but straight up losing them is horrible.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There's a lot of big motorsport names popping up on the fundraising page. F1 drivers, Indycar drivers, series and team chiefs. They've doubled their goal within a day. Kid's gonna be alright hopefully.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Ah I see Monza turn 1 happened.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Oh wow I saw the Bentley going to the middle and figured it was gonna just be a bad attempt at 3 wide into the first chicane not straight up turning the Lambo into the entire field.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Blancpain GT Sprint Series at Brands Hatch - not sure about streaming for this one
Quali Race 7:00a EDT Sunday
Main Race 11:15a EDT Sunday

I'm assuming this'll be streamed on the GT World Youtube channel along with the GT4 European Series race at Brands as well. They don't have any of the Blancpain sessions scheduled as livestreams though which is weird.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

ERC this weekend proving those metal guardrails are stronger than they look. That dudes pants probably not so much.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

See your problem there is you expected WTCC to fix something.

Also international livestream for the Nurburgring 24h (I'd assume with RLM commentary) is here. I believe it goes live in about 2 hours if I have my timezones right.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

So some drivers went off at Yokohama over the WTCC tire failures, Yokohama responded basically saying what tire companies always say after stuff like this. If you'd actually follow the pressure guidelines we give you this might not keep happening, and also saying they can't make a Nordschleife-specific tire because WTCC won't let them.

Also British GT at Snetterton is today if for some ungodly reason you need more racing to watch today.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

HAIL SATAN

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

julian assflange posted:

Turn on your monitor

:five:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Norns posted:

I usually just mix radio Le Mans with in cars at night

Commentary-free stream, RLM commentary running in another window/on my phone is the one true way of doing Le Mans.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Today in "Aussie Supercars gives no fucks about your grassroots motorsport", they're launching a Super5000 series as direct competiton with the Formula Thunder 5000 series because apparently they own the rights to the Formula 5000 series name. At least the car looks alright despite the comically huge airbox.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I've kept my Eurosport Player sub active for 3 months longer than necessary just to stretch it to Le Mans.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Kilonum posted:

I like this poster

Which you can buy here before anyone asks. I want to buy it and get it properly framed because it kicks rear end.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Brainwrong posted:

I'm using a really stable Eurosport HD stream

If you have a Eurosport Player sub they throw up instant highlight clips as well as having a commentary-free stream.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There is effectively one LMP1 car left running.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Somewhere in Japan, Honda's executives are pissing themselves laughing at this.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yeah but isn't the appeal of GT that they at least sort of look like road cars? I think you kinda lose that when "GT" cars end up looking like this.

Unless they state in the rules that the road car also has to look like that which makes it a loving win-win.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

dentist toy box posted:

Australia forever the lamest country.

"Anti-hooning legislation"

Is hooning one of those terms that was around for ages but only became popular after Ken Block took it on?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Rebellion got stripped of their podium because of that hole they were using to restart the engine.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robby Gordon got banned from racing in Austrailia for his SST stunt. So either there's no SST races in Austrailia next year or Robby just doesn't drive in them. I do find it quite funny that the only guys he asked for permission were a pair of nightclub bouncers though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I would find it pretty funny if Toyota just added another car every time they failed to win. Might be the only way you get the LMP1 field into double digits.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Honda are struggling right now to make racecar engines that last 2 hours let alone 6 or 24.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

dentist toy box posted:

I didn't know iracing gt3 raced in real life now.

My immediate thought when I saw that wreck was this video.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

6 Hours of the Glen was supposed to be on FS1 but because Fox hates racing it's been shoved to FS2 instead.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I was gonna ask how the hell you nearly lose it through the Esses in a prototype but then I saw the traffic.

E: DTM was at the Norisring this weekend, always good for some carnage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBR7A2phYZI

njsykora fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jul 3, 2017

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The triple crown as I understand it is overall (so LMP1) victory but it's not an official thing so I'd be behind Montoya if he went in a Penske LMP2 for his Le Mans win.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

She got fined €20k for posting that video for making the ADAC look bad.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

CactusWeasle posted:

The first story I read on autosport said 5k, dunno where the 20k figure is from

If there were red flags and she flew past them then 20k is a great way to say "you could have killed someone you idiot, youre lucky we arent taking your licence".

She said on her Twitter the fine was €20k. Apparently you can see red lights flashing 2-3 seconds before the truck comes into frame but I don't see it, even if they were flashing at that point it's way too late notice with the truck already going onto the track.
https://twitter.com/SophiaFloersch/status/883622491490582528

njsykora fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jul 9, 2017

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Anyway speaking of Oscherleben shenanigans, there's going to be a TCR turn 1 happening in a few minutes. Looks like the first time in ages there's been a decent size grid for TCR International, 23 cars.

E: Oh man TCR are using the old turn 1 instead of the one that causes massive wrecks. They finally figured it out.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jul 9, 2017

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Penske in with Honda.
https://twitter.com/Team_Penske/status/884774305577521153

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Most Formula E drivers also have endurance drives, it's not impossible to see someone doing both but I also can't see many of them choosing to go to IMSA over WEC or Blancpain.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Sort of sad news, the Lausitzring is closing for public and racing use to become a test track for autonomous vehicles. Sucks pretty hard for DTM since that forces the 2018 season to either be a race shorter or forces them to scramble to find a track for a 9th race.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Big news for Formula E (maybe, season 6 would be 2020), DTM might be in trouble.

https://twitter.com/LukeSmithF1/status/889554687246118912

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

iospace posted:

The car-swapping is probably the biggest drawback at this point (though if I remember right they're ending that next season). The tracks are a bit of a sticky point because they want to setup tracks with minimal impact to the surrounding area's traffic, which means A. tracks at airports, B. purpose built road courses, or C. support another series (Monaco/Long Beach). The real problem I feel right now is what tracks they do are really short compared to the tracks other series use (they use a neutered version of Monaco).

They're also hanging their identity a lot on being entirely on street tracks, which runs very hollow sometimes, especially when they go to Mexico and its just a straight up normal racetrack. The track length is definitely a problem, as the series speeds up they're outgrowing a lot of older track designs that are becoming sub-minute tracks. That they haven't officially adopted the Formulino E car design as an official feeder series yet is disappointing though because that car looks pretty nice.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Schlesische posted:

Formula E budgets are going to skyrocket in 5 years; the only reason they were so cheap up to now is because everything but the actual powertrain was spec (and the powertrain was heavily regulated). If Merc is coming in (with BMW following if rumours and my memory for them serve) then the spec element of the series is about to die a painful death.

They're allowing development on the batteries and ending the car swapping for the next season.

The powertrain isn't fully spec, much of that other than the motor is open hence why there's a fairly large difference between the gearing setup of many cars (some still running standard 5 gear setups and others just using 1). Batteries also aren't going to be an area for development for teams any time soon as production of those is on a long term contract for McLaren. The question regarding ending car swapping has mostly been do you eliminate the need for a pitstop completely, allow hotswapping batteries or use some kind of quick charging system. All 3 have advantages regarding electric car development and it's going to be interesting which one they go with.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Kilonum posted:

Or it would be like F1 where they only pit for tires

This won't happen as long as the sustainability angle of the series promotion exists. The current tires are thinner and grooved supposedly because they use less rubber to make (that skinny grooved tires mean less grip and less grip means more crashes and fun youtube highlights is a total coincidence I'm sure) and I think teams only get 3-4 sets for a weekend. The other major thing I think needs changing is the need of drivers to conserve power, if this is truly going to lead to people liking electric cars more they need to be able to go balls out maximum attack for the full 45 minutes.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If making the cars faster means moving tracks I'd rather they move tracks to be honest. Right now the street tracks aren't exactly inspiring and putting the races on an actual racetrack would send the message that electric cars belong on a racetrack. It's also extremely limiting to building any kind of support bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

And you can't limit the car's speeds forever, eventually that becomes the story that electric cars just can't go faster because you're the big poster child for the whole industry. Basically if you're gonna race around a British park gently caress Battersea and make it Donington Park where all racecars should be.

• Locked thread