Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah I remember there was a conversation during a Super GT race last year where the commentators were puzzled why Super GT would want to go to DTM regs for GT500 when GT500 was a fairly healthy class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Nice that they've decided not to let LMP1 limp on for another year and just put a bullet in its head now.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The time is now, for ByKolles

Until they quit too and we can all make ByeKolles jokes.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

CactusWeasle posted:

Next year the LeMans 24 hours will be a round of the Blancpain Endurance Series :v:

Having 2 24h races on the BES schedule would own. Speaking of which it's the Spa 24 this weekend.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

track day bro! posted:

I'll watch formula E when it isn't spec everything and they don't have to jump into a second car to finish the race. Or is it no longer a spec series yet?

Spec aero, motor, battery and chassis, everything else about the drivetrain is open and I believe motors are going to become open soon.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

track day bro! posted:

What exactly is that rest of the drivetrain? Gearbox?

I looked it up and I actually got this slightly wrong, the motor is open for development as well. So the 3 big components open to development are the motor, the gearbox (so some teams have a normal 6-speed gearbox, some teams only have 1) and rear suspension. The video they put out for season 2 explaining those changes termed it as everything behind the battery is open.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

IMSA going back to Mid-Ohio and ditching COTA: https://t.co/vE6c3kLlGe

Not a huge surprise cause Honda is moving into DPi, but still good news.

Good, COTA's poo poo.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That the ACO unironically called themselves the loving guardians of the WEC is hilarious.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

TWENTY FOUR HOURS OF SPA starts in about 20 minutes and SRO are doing a shitload of onboards and streams alongside the usual good poo poo from NISMO.

Main race livestream from NISMO with onboards
NISMO garage cam
McLaren #58 onboard
Mercedes #85 onboard
BMW #98 onboard
Porsche #117 onboard

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Both COTA and wicka are poo poo.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

World Rallycross potentially adding an electric class in 2020 because manufacturers are asking for it. Mostly mentioning this because the article says the FIA have a rule saying internal combustion cars can't race against electric cars which seems incredibly stupid.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

IMSA is at Road America this week, so they uploaded the 1993 race to Youtube. More of this please, though hopefully titled properly.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

harperdc posted:

for some reason it's an unlisted link. Hrm. Strange. Not going to complain though!

Huh, it was in my subs list earlier. Might've gone up a little sooner than planned. Hopefully they make a habit of this like Indycar does uploading old races every week.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If Audi was planning a DPi program I doubt Joest would've gone in with Mazda.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

NISMO has started doing a 24/7 stream thing of old races. Currently showing Super GT 2014 from Motegi, hope this sticks around.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'm also interested in what kinds of teams go in to program them. Like will it be mostly tech companies and universities or will we get the best possible world and have game devs going in and giving us Forza AI in real life.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

WEC changes for 2018/19, they're going to make a 2 year season starting in March as usual and ending at Le Mans 2019, which means the next season will have 2 Le Mans. Most notably though, COTA is out and the Sebring 12h will be both WEC and IMSA together (GIANT GRID).

LMP1 will be BOP'd so the hybrids and non-hybrids can race each other, no more LMP1 and LMP1-H. Seems like a solid change though I don't see Toyota sticking around with a hybrid to potentially lose races to privateers.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

Sebring isnt a combined race... its TWIN 12 hours, lmao

Oh right, I briefly forgot this was the loving ACO.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

31 just got hosed over by a PC's tire.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

gently caress yeah homie making sure he's ready before going after Le Mans.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I wouldn't be surprised if the GT getting BoP'd down to not winning every race has made Ford lose interest.

Also apparently Australian GT got booted off the Adelaide 500 support bill in favour of the Asian Audi R8 Cup and they are pretty pissed off about it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Dudley posted:

Wasn't the Nissan actually 4wd, but it was the always broken hybrid system that was supposed to drive the rears?

Yeah, it was a 75% front bias on it though. An Aussie I follow on YouTube did a good video on it.
https://youtu.be/G6E9P3bEaTs

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It's maybe not the best weekend of motorsport, but it's certainly the funniest. The Macau Grand Prix is this weekend, the track where last year a GT3 car ended a race upside down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eLinrZEyRU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Always like an excuse to post the track dogs from Stock Car Brasil in 2015.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

Is that like a heron in the background too? Do they just race through a zoo?

A lot of Brazilian tracks are just outside city centers, so there's often just animals from the neighbourhood around.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The final lap of the F3 World Cup was pretty drat good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfWr8mP3P1Y

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Toyota will win Le Mans but despite leading for most of the race Alonso's car will die in the last 10 minutes because the universe hates him.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah we should develop some kind of flag system, like maybe yellow. It's not like race drivers ignore safety warnings all the time.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Misc Auto Racing 2018: gently caress Jamie Whincup

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

WTCC is getting renamed to WTCR and replacing the TCR International Series. Merging the regulars of TCR Int and WTCC seems like a good way to get some pretty solid grids together.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

gently caress yes, DTM's coming back to Brands Hatch and using the full layout.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Meanwhile...
https://twitter.com/mondomascots/status/939793420511469568

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Watkins Glen 1991 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AeX-mc-wU0

There are 1989, 1992 and 1993 Glen races on the channel as well. Also Mid Ohio 1993, Road America 1993 and Sonoma 1989.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

WTCR calendar is out and actually looks decent. Monza and Motegi out, Benelux and Suzuka in to go along with TCR Europe and Super Formula respectively. Also Macau will be the final round instead of Losail so seems like the Qatar money stopped coming eventually.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I mean Paul Ricard is a parking lot, watching WTCC there was always a sad experience because the crowd shot was a single grandstand a long way back from any part of the track.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Eurosport's coverage for most things is the most disinterested and bare bones poo poo possible.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

BTCC gets all the good looking touring cars.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

https://www.motorsport.com/gt/news/jaguar-unveils-in-house-developed-gt-car-994822/

Jaguar are making a GT4 car for British GT. Cool to see them back in motorsports between this and their Formula E team.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

https://www.motorsport.com/btcc/news/three-time-champion-shedden-exits-btcc-998169/

Shedden's leaving BTCC, probably going to WTCR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Cool thing about modern endurance racing, if it's happening it's probably being officially streamed somewhere on Youtube.

• Locked thread