Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

George Zimmer posted:

Ford just swept GTLM, are BoP adjustments still possible at this stage?

Oh yes they are, hell, IMSA has BoPed Ford last year in between qualifying and race day.

Imagine getting handicapped because you qualified too fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The howards might not work too well at Daytona, due to the sound reflecting off the banking and generally always being above the 82dB cutoff. I could see how they would be really useful at other road courses though.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Guys, I have it on good authority that the Ford's are cheating by using a V8 instead of the TTV6 in the street car, but never fear! The NSX will vanquish them for a class win! :smug:

Someone really loves to stalk you huh.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

I'm watching IMSA qualifying and so should you.
http://cytu.be/r/SASCARWinterHeat

gently caress this gay cytube chat poo poo

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kilonum posted:

Drive through penalty for unapproved socks on the crew of a ST car :laffo:

Lmao

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Its raining at daytona :getin: haha im just listening via radio right now but it sounds like absolute clownshoes.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The challenge is how many times can they crash?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Jehde posted:

Why isn't this the new title.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

They really are their happiest when hopping on 3 wheels :shobon:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

gret posted:

RIP both Nismo GT-Rs.

What?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

njsykora posted:

Hey you know the things that make those other tracks unique? We have none of that! C'mon Sebring I like you but that was weak.

They do have 12 hours of framing hammer impacts to the back of your head though.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Ultimate pace seemed pretty fair except for Mazda this go-round, pro-am Spec P2 #85 kept up with the Caddies for quite some time. The Gibson, Nissan, and Mazda protos just need to work on not breaking. That's the big advantage Cadillac has, with the time-tested 6.2 LS that isn't working very hard to make power level and is a known-reliable engine.

That and the Cadillac's torque.

Yeah they're really not even coming close to pushing the limit of that LS in the caddy at all. The Mazda, they're having to wring every loving drop of power out of the MZR 4 banger to keep even with the rest of the proto field, and it shows in their reliability.

They were able to keep pace last year before the power boost going to DPi, but they might need to work on a new engine design for next year.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 20, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Bad part is, Mazda makes no V6 in the skyactiv line, and the larger displacement MZRs are all stroked, the bore is almost identical in all the models, which means lower redline and slower revving, not something you want in a 600hp target engine

The MZ-2.0T isn't a Skyactiv engine, it's heavily based on the MZR engine which was the predecessor of the Skyactiv 4 banger.

If Mazda updated the Mazda MZI engine, and it was reliable enough, they would probably do ok. Alternatively they have a SkyActiv 2.5T that is used in the Mazda CX-9, and if they wanted to resurrect the MazdaSpeed 3 in the consumer sector, they would do well to try to use that engine on the track. It doesn't have the insane 13:1 compression ratio of the naturally aspirated version, but it has a hell of a lot more grunt (in CX-9 trim, it has 250hp and 310lb/f of torque at 2000 RPM). They could probably squeeze a lot more horsepower out of it by moving it higher in the rev range.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 22, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

harperdc posted:

I hope they at least know what was broken, because they've been testing the gas engine for a while. Daytona was the first race for the full package and a 24-hour race. Sebring is Sebring. You would imagine the shorter street and road-course races will go much better for them, but it's still a worry. Next three rounds are Long Beach, COTA and Detroit, which may be tough (2/3 are street courses) but not impossible, right?

They've spent so much time testing it's hard to imagine they're this far behind. But it's also too easy to use the unique nature of the first rounds as an excuse, too. Hmm.

Well, look at it this way, if your engines are consuming themselves catastrophically on endurance race weekends, that speaks volumes to the reliability of your race engine, and during sprint races you need your car to be perfect with no mechanical issues because broken parts means a last place finish if at all.

They could ape what Ford does and go with twin turbo V6 power, they already have the casting for a V6 block which uses forced induction in street trim. I dunno if they'd want to get back in bed with Ford to win though. I wonder if they can still produce MZI (literally Ford Ecoboost) engines post Ford split or not?

orange juche fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 22, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

And really, the LS in the Caddy probably isn't much heavier than the MZR-R, with headers and all the turbo plumbing taken into account. Those things are stupidly light for such a big displacement motor.

This, its why you can swap an LS into just about any car you can find, because it is so compact and light. An LSX long engine weighs 553 lbs with everything installed except for spark plugs, they're stupid light, durable as hell, and the 650 or so HP they need for their DPi use is well below the limit for what you can get out of a block that is built to handle 2000+ HP.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Norns posted:

Last year was crushing yeah...I'll be cheering for them for sure.

That was one of the few times i've cried about how a race ended.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

financially racist posted:

that race was only a mere few months after i bought an mr2 so i was all pumped up supporting the dudes what made my car.

it was simultaneously the worst thing ever but also a great example of why endurance racing owns. i also felt real bad for nakajima who drove the race of his life while his ostensibly more talented teammate kobayashi borke the other toyota driving like a doofus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDLm-4D5UlE

Here's another sad racing moment

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

dentist toy box posted:

Aw I wanted Vadim Kojay on a superbike.

Lawn darts are a fun, yet very dangerous game.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Beats the gently caress out of LeMons. 300 CAD for car, 100 or so for melon protector and some spray paint and masking tape for your theme and youre good.

Much better than spending almost 10 large to field a 500 dollar shitbox entry in a LeMons event.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

uwaeve posted:

Are the days of the July Lime Rock event numbered? I have been on and off, and only tangentially foIlow sports car racing, I swear that since like 05 they have gone from 4 classes (including LMP900/P1) down to three (two GT classes and PC), now this year it's two GT classes only.

Isn't lime rock also the track that the neighborhood around it really loving hates too? Like constantly trying to use legal action to shut it down?

E: yep that's the one.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Welp, the IMSA WeatherTech race is on time delay on FS1 Saturday 7-10.

Gonna be watching through VPN anyway, but gently caress Fox. Who the gently caress thought this was an acceptable arrangement? IMSA should dump Fox and start streaming everything for everyone and find a TV partner that is okay with that, has better commentators, and doesn't air commercials for half of the race.

Network TV in the US has always time delayed races with the exception of NASCAR because they're far and away the most popular race series, cause it's really easy to follow NASCAR when you're tanked on lovely piss-water beer.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

iospace posted:

Indy isn't delayed either. Support series for both? If it's on TV, it's probably live.

Drag racing? Naturally, but the nature of the type of racing lends itself to tape delay.

Eh, I was thinking like back in WSC days. :corsair:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

iospace posted:

I'm the raccoon tail on that Opel's antenna.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Manta_Foxtail

The manta's foxtail is a 24h Nurburgring tradition.

https://twitter.com/Manta_Foxtail/status/868626352940994563

orange juche fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 28, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Manta got punted off the track by a Ferrari but it wasn't terminal, he just needed a tow to the edge of the kitty litter

E: NVM manta pulled into the pits and right into the garage

orange juche fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 28, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I really want that livery in a downloadable version so that I can import it into racing games.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

iospace posted:

So why aren't they running GTLM today? Not enough room in the pits?

GTLM is in France for Le Mans

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

In more misc racing news, the isle of man TT is this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjZXaUwYoog

Enjoy a ride through a 140mph superbike crash, poo poo is :stonk:

Over an hour and a half later when they interview him he's still not composed because he was convinced he was dead.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

WindyMan posted:

I'm still amazed at the general attitude around deaths in the TT or moto road racing in general. It's tragic through and through, but it's always the same line from the family and loved ones. "He died doing what he loved." And the race goes on, almost as if it has to.

I guess it's just the general sensibility about personal responsibility in extreme sport. The TT is one of the most dangerous events in the world, with almost two deaths per year on the average. The simple thing to do would be to ban the race, but they just carry on with it under the guise that individuals in the race know the risks and must be prepared to face the ultimate consequences.

Why the gently caress would they ban the race? The racers race for the prestige of running in the race. They know the risks, and so do the fans and the families of the racers.

They are all too aware of exactly what they're signing up for, and that it's a roll of the dice every time they get on that bike and go through the starting gate.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Magnaflux posted:

If you aren't camping, get there early as hell on Sunday.

I went last year and camped on the inside of turn 8 and by 9 am Sunday they were parking people in my campsite. The parking along the main straight and Sargento bridge section was already full by that time.

It also seemed weird to me that the Mazda support series race cars were louder than the Indy cars.

If the Mazda lites or whatever they're called are running Renesis engines still, there is nothing short of a jet engine that is louder than an uncorked rotary, since they are always experiencing a constant power stroke.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Huh I just realized that no Japanese manufacturer has won Le Mans since 91 when Mazda won it. :thunk:

This year doesn't look like the year for that either.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Poor Japan :japan:

They can build cars, just not race cars

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

harperdc posted:

At least one or two Mazda dudes put the champagne on ice ala the 1972 Dolphins once those two Toyotas went out within one hour of each other.

The 72 Dolphins won though?

Mazda won't enter in P1 while it costs 100M per year to field a team and car. It'd be drat surprising if they resurfaced at some point and became the first Japanese make to win since they last won in 91 tho.

Especially considering the dubious results of their DPi cars, they're the little cars that almost kinda coulda maybe done it.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 18, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

itsjustdrew posted:

I wish they'd shut the gently caress up about food.

Its loving breakfast time in france.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

lmao

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

itsjustdrew posted:

It was 5 am in france, I was, and still am very hungry. I'm an hour behind race time

Go get something to eat then :mad:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

drgitlin posted:

What a magnificent event. Camping at the Porsche Curves, have been here since Thursday. We set off at 11pm to circumnavigate the circuit before sunrise, which we just managed. Watching the cars accelerate out of Mulsanne Corner when it's pitch black was surreal.

It's also super-hot. Not quite WEC @ COTA heat (yet) but not far off. Can't say I have a good handle on what's happened in the race but that seems incidental because we're having such a good time.

You better upload pictures for those of us who don't have a cool as gently caress job like you <:mad:>

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Oh man if an lmp2 wins outright the ACO is going to cripple lmp2 for next year to prevent this from ever happening again.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

financially racist posted:

considering the lmp2 would be winning purely through attrition i dunno how they'd prevent that

They'll find a way. Just write a rule that says the last lmp1 to break down is the overall winner or some poo poo.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

How do you burn the clutch on something as sophisticated as an LMP1? Don't tell me those things actually have three pedals??

They don't have 3 pedals, they still have a clutch though, Kamui stopping and starting repeatedly required him to use the clutch because the engine had already been started. Normally you pull in under electric power, start the engine after the pit stop, and then proceed out of the pits. Having to go/stop/go/stop repeatedly in quick succession heated the clutch to the point of burning up.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cygni posted:

I highly doubt that killed the clutch. I would wager that people with Toyota are looking for something to blame for the fact that they outspent everyone, had the fastest car, brought 3 of them, and finished behind P2 cars. Pretty natural reaction, but isn't going to change anything in the end.

Clutches in race cars are barely ever used. They're really only used for getting started from a stop to keep from killing the engine, other than that they're not used at all because dog box. If the clutch is designed to not be used much, it is extremely light, and likely easy to kill.

Though I wonder if they couldn't have just gotten the car going under electric and then chucked it into gear once it got up to a speed where they wouldn't have killed the engine?

orange juche fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jun 19, 2017

• Locked thread