Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

VikingSkull posted:

They are still involved in Super Stock NHRA and the like with the Drag Pak Challengers. Dodge knows their bread and butter, which is why the new Dodge Demon is basically being marketed as "we don't care, this thing is an animal in a straight line and gently caress you if you want anything else".

Aren't the top fuel engines based off an old Chrysler design?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Humbug posted:

Its only 3.8 seconds between Latvala and Tanak for the lead too after 15 stages. Always good when the standings aren't set going into Sunday. Ogier only 16 seconds down and may become a factor, but I hope he doesn't.

Østbergs rear wing fell off yesterday and he isn't in the overall contention. He changed goals to go for the record jump at Collins Crest. 42m and more than 160kph over the crest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isHqHdHxHEQ

I kinda love the bare bones nature of the WRC as well. The FIA™ WRC™ Certina™ Official Timekeeper for that stage was a slightly rusted Volvo 850 on the start line with a laptop in the back.

I love it when people are all "Eh, gently caress it, not going to win. TIME FOR FUN"

See also Project 400, which was a stunt done in Le Mans with a car that couldn't win, but topped out at 405 km/hr (252 mph) on the back stretch.

They put the chicanes in two years later.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Humbug posted:

So Latvala took it which is cool for him and for Toyota. This season could be quite good, and all the cars seem competitive. Ford and Toyota both have wins, despite perhaps being underdogs before the seasons. Neuville/Hyundai dominated both rallies until crashing, and will probably manage a win eventually. The Citroen might be a bit off the pace ,but they have the most resources and history, and should be able to challenge for wins eventually.

How mad was Ogier after not winning for once?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

Penske to run Honda's DPi program starting next year, apparently

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/138173-penske-honda-imsa-dpi-expected-in-2018

:getin:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

njsykora posted:

In non-hack news, the Suzuka 1000km race in Super GT is being replaced by a 10 hour endurance race. Also apparently SRO (the Blancpain GT company) are getting involved in it.

Aren't most 1000km races around 10hr anyway? I know Petit Le Mans was a 1000km race (or 10 hours, whichever happened first), but switched to 10 hours recently.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kilonum posted:

it was 1000mi or 10 hours (whichever was shorter), but they changed it to straight up 10 hours with the IMSA/ALMS merger

Right, miles :downs:

Ah well.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So wait, we have parity this year in wrc?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, looks like GTLM/LMGTE is going to be a three way slugfest this year. Also GTD looks like it's going to be just as interesting.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

njsykora posted:

Shame Prototype looks set to be a Cadillac stomp the whole way.

At least the GT classes look to be slugfests. We have two different winners in both classes already, and the new 911 RSRs are no joke. Gonna be interesting to see how the shorter races pan out, but I'm sure Porsche has some confidence going into WEC.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

njsykora posted:

Vitality vs Splyce game 1 might be the most one-sided game I've seen all season.

Wrong thread?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Totally agree. TBH if the other teams get their reliability sorted (since BoP shouldn't factor that at all), the Gibsons definitely have the pace to keep up and hustle the Cadillacs at Sebring BoP levels. We saw that with the Pro-Am team of JDC-Miller (banana car!), keeping up with the Caddies relatively well.

Also Rebellion had a good run too at Sebring until it fell apart.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

True inside-the-visor cam of Yacaman at Sebring. Probably the most realistic view of what it looks like day/night in a car that I've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uCaqJliBVM

Man, talk about a night and day difference. :dadjoke:

Real talk: that's pretty cool, and drat that's a bumpy course.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

2017 Porsche LMP1 spotted:

Ban for Anime

O_O - That car.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

financially racist posted:

please win le mans this year toyota

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

Last year was crushing yeah...I'll be cheering for them for sure.

At least the ACO changed their rules for the final lap:

quote:

After discussion over the final lap, the Automobile Club l'Ouest announced a new series of rule changes in December 2016 to deal with cars in the final minutes. Any car taking from .001 to 1:00.000 longer than the maximum time will be assessed a one-lap penalty. Any car taking between 1:00.001 and 3:00.000 past the six-minute limit will be assessed a two-lap penalty. Any car taking between 3:00.000 to 4:00.000 will be assessed a three-lap penalty, with the final penalty, ten laps, being assessed for a car taking between 4:00.001 to 9:00.000 over the limit. The maximum final lap is now 15 minutes. Under the 2017 rules, there would have been a ten-lap penalty for the #5 car.

That ten lap penalty would have put them at 374 laps, or enough for 3rd place.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

financially racist posted:

that race was only a mere few months after i bought an mr2 so i was all pumped up supporting the dudes what made my car.

it was simultaneously the worst thing ever but also a great example of why endurance racing owns. i also felt real bad for nakajima who drove the race of his life while his ostensibly more talented teammate kobayashi borke the other toyota driving like a doofus.

Yeah, I was sad, but accepting that they didn't win.

I was livid that they got screwed over by the ACO though by some draconian rule that had been conveniently ignored when it was a French maker.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

Awesome! I only watched a couple super gt races last year. Anime GT cars crack me up.

Strong post/Avatar combo.

That said, I 12:30 at night is a bit too late for my tastes, unfortunately. Might catch the opening but that's it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/IMSA/status/849969959211892736

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

WTR takes the pole again. Wonder how much more nerfing the Caddies need.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

At least extend it an hour

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Imagine Alonso wins a 500 then goes up AGAINST Montoya at Le Mans for the Triple Crown :gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz:

Yes please. Oh so yes.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Human Grand Prix posted:

Toyota #1 at Silverstone in P1. The ByKolles car is back in 13th behind some P2 runners.

Is the ByKolles car being beat by Rebellion's LMP2 car? :allears:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

These last few minutes have been entirely great.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/IMSA/status/853988159893512192

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That was the definition of "nothing could be done to avoid that".

To paraphrase the F1 thread, Alex Zanardi needs to visit that kid, because he needs someone who can relate and still kept on doing what he loved.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

How many of these people are "gentleman racers "?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

http://jalopnik.com/the-three-hours-of-lemelons-is-the-300-crapcan-dirt-ra-1794508956

Canada has it's own shitbox racing series. We need more of these :allears:

iospace fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 26, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gently caress NIMBYs.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

Seriously, if you didn't want to live next to a race track, why did you move/build there? :frogout:

Guess what happened to a dirt track in Milwaukee. Exactly that.

Now it's dead

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

I read about that. I've never even been to Wisconsin, and I'm still sad about that track.

I went to a demo derby there once. The water truck was doing wheelies.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The track I'm talking about is a Menard's now :cripes:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Welp, the IMSA WeatherTech race is on time delay on FS1 Saturday 7-10.

Gonna be watching through VPN anyway, but gently caress Fox. Who the gently caress thought this was an acceptable arrangement? IMSA should dump Fox and start streaming everything for everyone and find a TV partner that is okay with that, has better commentators, and doesn't air commercials for half of the race.

Not going to happen in the US, sadly to say.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

orange juche posted:

Network TV in the US has always time delayed races with the exception of NASCAR because they're far and away the most popular race series, cause it's really easy to follow NASCAR when you're tanked on lovely piss-water beer.

Indy isn't delayed either. Support series for both? If it's on TV, it's probably live.

Drag racing? Naturally, but the nature of the type of racing lends itself to tape delay.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm the raccoon tail on that Opel's antenna.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Peanut President posted:

It's a foxtail, dunkus. It's a very important aero device.

whoops :downs:

+9001 pounds of downforce, right?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Speaking of 24 hour races:

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/140902-bmw-m8-gte-to-debut-at-2018-rolex-24

BMW's new M8 GTE is going to make its debut at the 24 hours of Daytona.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

IMSA at Belle Isle this weekend! Short race though, only 100 minutes.

And on FS2 :barf:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

D-D-D-D-DOUBLE POST:
https://www.motorsport.com/lemans/news/tockwith-to-carry-famous-gulf-colours-for-le-mans-912651/

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, if some of you don't know, Sebastian Bourdais was involved in the second worst accident of the IndyCar season (Dixon's being worse), and is out due to a fractured hip.

Tony Kanaan is taking his spot at Le Mans: http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/item/141042-kanaan-to-sub-for-bourdais-at-le-mans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

D-D-D-D-DOUBLE POST

In unsurprising news, Bykolles continues to be the joke of LMP, losing yet another driver for Le Mans:
https://www.motorsport.com/lemans/news/rossiter-steps-down-from-bykolles-le-mans-drive-912930/

• Locked thread