Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Kilonum posted:

If Chrysler were to join in as a factory team (lol fat chance), they would homologate the Viper for GTLM (though apparently they would need to completely redesign the road car to restart production because it lacks side-curtain airbags which are now required) and GT4ify the Challenger (as it sits in the same market segment as the Mustang and Camaro).
Considering how much money they spent and how quickly they pulled the plug on the last GTLM Vipers, and how lousy the Viper sales are, I imagine that any factory GTLM/GT3 program from them at this point would be a Maserati or Alfa.

That said, although Ferrari is technically an independent company, 80% of its stock was distributed to FCA stock holders. So they basically already have a GTLM and GT3 program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Penske to run Honda's DPi program starting next year, apparently

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/138173-penske-honda-imsa-dpi-expected-in-2018

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

harperdc posted:

And this means each WEC P2 make would have a DPi partner in the US.

I wouldn't bet on Honda using Oreca, honestly.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Most IndyCar drivers don't have personal service contracts with their manufacturer, so it makes it easier. Bourdais/Dixon/Kanaan were all in Ford GTs last year despite being Chevy drivers in indycar, and were back this year despite all being Honda drivers now.

Penske generally doesn't like to let his drivers double dip, though. He wants them focused on IndyCar etc. But hes allowed it occasionally in the past, like when he entered Briscoe and Helio in the Petit LeMans after the IndyCar season was over and they won in class.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

As expected, lots of BoP changes in all the classes for the Sebring test:

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/138284-cadillac-dpi-slowed-with-sebring-test-bop

All the DPi's got slowed, which was expected as they will be moving to the high downforce packages that should be better than the WEC spec cars. In GTLM, BMW got boosts across the board after being the only uncompetitive car at Daytona.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Penske wanted to run customer Audis in P1 at LeMans this year, Audi said no. Ban Audi.

https://www.motorsport.com/lemans/news/penske-approached-audi-to-run-lmp1-cars-at-le-mans-882782/

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Sebring quals will be starting in an hour. GT3 Cup race currently going, for those looking for stuff to put on their second monitor at work that the boss cant really see

http://imsatv.imsa.com/

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/IMSA/status/842806483934961664

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Wakeywakey, cars are rolling and the streams are up

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

yeah the current mazda engine is an evolution of the old AER MZR-R that dyson used to run in P1. its a purpose built casting with not a single part shared with a street car. for marketing purposes, mazda would obviously like to keep as much to their street cars as they can (doubt they would want to run a v8, for example), but there are no requirements in DPi for stock block or anything like that anymore.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Mazda no longer sells any V6 streetcars worldwide. for marketing, i'm guessing they would want to stick with a a DI I4. i think AER's initial design rationale for going with a 2.0 was to keep reciprocating mass as low as possible in the engine, which worked well with the ultra light weight casting they were doing. but running against big, simple NA engines with better funded teams is really highlighting the compromises you make for that formula.

AER could develop a 2.5 engine and keep the marketing clean (mazda makes a street 2.5 turbo in its new CX-9) and address some of the issues, but those big V8s just have an inherent advantage unless you make them pay for their weight.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The MZR-R (and presumably their new engine) is comically light. We are talking under 200lbs with turbo and wiring harness. Seriously. In a car that only weighs 2,046lbs, the extra hundreds of pounds in the Caddy would be a big deal. Also, V8s have their weight higher up and are generally harder to package.

In the DPi format though, they aren't really made to pay for any of the issues. The minimum weight is high enough that the Caddys are still moving ballast around the car, the engine mounting on the WEC-spec cockpit is generally the same regardless of the engine due to the gearbox and suspension mounting points needing to be in the same zone, and the packaging is the same for all the cars because they were all designed for the Gibson.

Mazda/Gibson/Nissan can get the reliability up to snuff with some work of course, but the torque of a big V8 will be tough to deal with I imagine. I don't think IMSA will just let Caddy win every race though, and I don't think they were as far ahead at Sebring as Daytona. Gonna be fun!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah, and I imagine as soon as the WEC season starts JDC will have the advantage of tons of setup data from Oreca, assuming some teams over in Europe are running the same dampers. I honestly don't know what damps they use in protos anymore, but I kinda assume its Ohlins and Penske still?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

True inside-the-visor cam of Yacaman at Sebring. Probably the most realistic view of what it looks like day/night in a car that I've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uCaqJliBVM

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

quote:

we still think it's a good-looking car though ;)

hmmmm

Also IMSA slowed the Caddy's again for Long Beach, this time mandating a gear ratio for 1st and 2nd. That actually sounds like a pretty good solution to the torque stuff that I hadn't thought about before

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/139214-imsa-cadillac-slowed-again-with-long-beach-bop

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

why toyota have big mustache. why

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Five P2 protos, all worthless. Lordy.

Kinda funny that if the courts moved quicker, they would likely have gotten 4x the price on a lot of this stuff. Even then it would still be a drop in the bucket compared to the billion dollar fine he got, but still.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

iospace posted:

These last few minutes have been entirely great.

Yeah, good fun at the end there. Balance between the P2 cars seems pretty good and they've got a good spread of cars, as opposed to WEC.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

After all that drama, Nissan decides they did want to race in PWC afterall, just in Sprint-X apparently?

http://www.racer.com/pwc/item/139657-nissan-confirms-pwc-return-in-sprintx-gt-series

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Dudley posted:

He's has both lower legs amputated it seems.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/BillyMonger23

Ah gently caress. I was more worried about his head than his legs, but i guess he did run straight into the gearbox/engine assembly that likely didnt give at all. poo poo man.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

When you are just using a field instead of Road America and Sears Point and stuff, it helps keep the costs and lawyer scrutiny down.

i really wanna tear rear end around a field in a shitbox. although i guess you dont need no fancy racing series to do what kids in rural areas do on weekends already

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ratfink gt3 > anime gt3

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Norns posted:

Something about the M8 body I just don't like.

its a huge whale

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

n-no please, not like this

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

njsykora posted:

Today in "Aussie Supercars gives no fucks about your grassroots motorsport", they're launching a Super5000 series as direct competiton with the Formula Thunder 5000 series because apparently they own the rights to the Formula 5000 series name. At least the car looks alright despite the comically huge airbox.

I like the Thunder concept a bit more, a semi-modernized take. This one just looks like a fan tried to do a drawing of Lola T332 from memory.

Since there was a post about F5000, I will take this as an excuse to dig through my dads pictures and post one. Here is my dad and Al Unser standing next to their T332 with their names on the side. I believe this was '75?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Probably a good thing that the P2's have some straight line speed now, they used to have issues getting outdragged down the straights by the GTs and then stuck behind them in the twisty bits where they were actually faster.

Also, based on the IMSA and ELMS seasons so far, I don't think the Oreca's seemingly huge advantage will be as big in the race. Or at least I hope not.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

lemans TV schedule

June 17 - June 18

8:30 AM to 10:00 AM - FS1
10:00 AM to 1:00 PM - FoxSports GO, Illegal Streams, and Manufacturer Onboards
1:00 PM to 1:00 AM - FS2
1:00 AM to 9:30 AM - FS1

(whole thing on FS GO if you have access)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

OR just by a WEC streaming pass and get flag to flag coverage with no commercials and way better commentators.
my religion forbids me from giving the FIA/ACO money

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

harperdc posted:

So you'll give that to FOX instead...?

It's 30 euro for the whole season and it's gotten even better (both app and website-wise), that deal kicks the poo poo out of paying for cable or trying to rig together a FS Go stream.

i havent had cable in like 5-6 years and the only time ive had trouble finding a feed was when IndyCar had that race bumped to CNBC

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

30min left in Practice 1 for Le Mans. I can't really find a direct link, but if you scroll to the middle of this jumbled rear end page and click the expand button, you can get the live timing:

http://www.lemans.org/en/24-hours-of-le-mans

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

im rooting against toyota and also all the Orecas

e: i want to clarify that i am, however, rooting for all Orcas everywhere

Cygni fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 16, 2017

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

2020 P1 regs are out. "Plug in hybrid" system that makes teams run 1km on battery power after each stop, mild cost savings, and bigger cockpits. Pretty big wet fart, might explain why there have been all the rumors about Porsche and Toyota pulling out.

http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/item/141485-lmp1-2020-regulations-revealed

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Theoretically a regular mulsanne would lead to them stripping a lot more downforce off the cars. The little engines they run are only around 500hp though, so even with extremely limited topside downforce, they would probably cap out in the 220mph range i would imagine?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Basticle posted:

I doubt they'd remove downforce just because the chicanes were gone, those suckers look flat out through the esses and Porsche curves, I bet that requires more downforce than just simply braking for the chicanes.

Yeah, but it may be better for laptimes to be going 220 down the entire mulsanne (assuming the chicanes were gone) instead of 211 like they do now, but give a little back through the porsche curves. I dunno though, my Lemans setup experience is limited to the lovely sliders in Forza and lots of yelling.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/141493-imsa-honda-dpi-planning-continues

Honda/Penske DPi looks to be pretty well confirmed with Oreca, apparently under construction at the moment, expected to be done at the end of September. May make an appearance at Petite.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I can't get timing working anywhere anymore :(

e: just as i say that, the WEC page seems to be working

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

this is the best, get owned toyota

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

harperdc posted:

Tracy Krohn did something stupid, finish your drinks y'all

finishing drinks is gonna sabotage my idea of staying up until the finish (5am my time) :(

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I highly doubt that killed the clutch. I would wager that people with Toyota are looking for something to blame for the fact that they outspent everyone, had the fastest car, brought 3 of them, and finished behind P2 cars. Pretty natural reaction, but isn't going to change anything in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i like that if a dude had remembered to tape over the hole on the last stop, somehow that would have fixed everything in the ACO's eyes.

• Locked thread