Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
ByKolles are switching to Nissan's leftover LMP1 engine (without the hybrid) for the WEC this season in their quest for reliability.

Hopefully it includes a working fuel pump since they burned through around 8 of them at Le Mans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

harperdc posted:

Marshall Pruett has been doing write-ups on the new P2 / DP chassis in the lead up to Daytona this weekend, one thing I didn't realize about the Oreca is that the tub is based off the prior P1/P2 tub...aka the tub a lot of teams were using last year, including Rebellion's P1 car. So it's really no shock they wound up in P2 this year.

Yeah, of the "old" closed top P2s the Oreca 05 was the only one designed after the 2017 regs were released, which let them build the tubs to the new narrower maximum width so the cars could be upgraded into 07s rather than replaced. It's also (partially) why they dominated Le Mans over the Ligiers because less width = less drag.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
The lower tiers of the racing ladder are a place where drivers can hone their skills and learn important strategies such as: "don't drive into a stationary car"

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

Cygni posted:

Speaking of LeMans, entry list is out:

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/24h-le-mans-entry-list-revealed/

P1 is sad, and P2 is Oreca vs the world. 15 Oreca, 6 Ligier, 3 Dallara, 1 Riley.

The new P2 regulations working exactly as intended then

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

Human Grand Prix posted:

Also is the P1 that certainly will be a failure actually backed by Nissan or no?

Customer engine deal only, the chassis is essentially an enhanced bootleg version of the Lotus P2 car (the ones that had their steering wheels reposesed the day before the race a couple of years ago) built by the people who ran the team but without any involvement from Adess who designed it originally.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

iospace posted:

so how did ORECA manage to get so many cars, better pricing, better performance? Both?

Timing and politics.

Basically Ligier, HPD and SMP/BR Engineering built new P2 cars to the "old" closed top regs first, then ORECA freaked at the idea a single team (SMP specifically) could essentially build a car for themselves with unlimited budget and undermine the cost cap rules. The ACO agreed and decided that they would limit the class to 4 chassis only and they had to have the same maximum width as the new P1s.

They awarded the contracts to Ligier, who had just built and sold a lot of cars that were going to be too wide and would need replacing, Dallara and Riley, who had no recent experience in P2 or a customer base to build on, and ORECA, who then built a P2 car that could be upgraded to the new spec this year.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Fuuuuuuuck, that was a couple of scary moments.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
That's one brave pitboard guy

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Engel is pissed

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

iospace posted:

There's a GT3 Corvette actually, but I don't think it has "official" Chevy backing (as in an aftermarket shop is modifying them to GT3 standards but I don't know how much GM is supporting the effort, if at all).

Callaway have an official licence to make the GT3 C7 but the agreement forbids them from selling it in the US. There's already a GT3 Camaro, built by Reiter with a similar arrangement. The GT3 rules mean only 1 race car design per base street car model can be homologated, so if GM want to make a new GT3 Corvette or Camaro they'll have to make a new variant of the road car to go along with it. The only GM GT3 car that they build in house is the Cadillac and even then they don't sell them to anyone.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

iospace posted:

So if the C7.R is based off the Z06 (or base model, not sure which one), can't they say the GT3 is based off the grand sport?

Also, why is the GT3 C7 prohibited in the US?

Maybe? I'm not sure what constitutes a different model in the eyes of SRO/FIA but I'd guess the answer probably has something to do with how big a sack of cash comes with the question.

The official line is something like they don't want to confuse people by having a GTLM/GTE Corvette blast past a GT3/GTD on track.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Oh Mazda...

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
The door of that Ford is going to open and a dozen clowns are going to jump out.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Also here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L18PgyyT7mM

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Well there's one broken but I don't think it was either of the two you were hoping for.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

CactusWeasle posted:

Are you loving serious Toyota. Goddammit you dont deserve anything.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

njsykora posted:

See your problem there is you expected WTCC to fix something.

Also international livestream for the Nurburgring 24h (I'd assume with RLM commentary) is here. I believe it goes live in about 2 hours if I have my timezones right.

Countdown to Green in 2 hours, race start in 3 hours according to RLM schedule.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Back out but down to 3rd

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
It's raining

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

Oh thank god it's Tockwith, for a moment there I thought Gulf Racing were coming back to smash into everything again.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
They switched to having all the cameras manned overnight in... 2015 I think, not seen anything about it this year so I'd guess it's the same.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

track day bro! posted:

Wait so the WEC stream doesn't have radio lemans audio anymore? I know hindy wasn't at the Spa 6hrs, but i'm pretty sure some of the RLM people were on the WEC feed? Thought it was just because they now cover so many events nowadays.

The WEC have taken it in house this year and RLM have some issue with one of the networks or websites the WEC have partnered up with (I think Motorsport.com) with so they're just doing radio now.

The Eurosport player gives you an ad-free, commentary-free feed which is great for syncing to the RLM audio.

Xisticide fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 7, 2017

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Saw someone on Twitter say the driver was Erik Maris, which would make it the #33 Eurasia Car.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

wicka posted:

Anyone know if the WEC blocks simultaneous streams?

They definitely didn't last year, don't have any reason to believe that's changed but you never know with these French racing organisations

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
At least it's only a puncture rather than their usual fuel pump fire

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

How synced up are the RLM team with what I'll see on the main broadcast? Not going to stream from any one car unless a knife fight starts between Ford and Ferrari, but if even if they're significantly better than the new team I'd like to have the video match up at least a little.

Pull up their YouTube stream, it has the race clock on it so you can sync them up

Here https://youtu.be/eHofZruKgTQ

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Proton snowploughed off by Rusinov

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

Wirth1000 posted:

Oh, ok. What's a Gazoo?

It's the name of a car info and sales website made by one of the Toyota higher ups which they now use as part of the name of all of their factory teams

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Possible oil leak on the 2nd place #8 Toyota

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Gearbox?

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Toyota can only change the hybrid when braking though

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
That car's done

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Remember the P2 cars are all new and unproven over this kind of distance... GTE car on the podium?

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

Basticle posted:

It was Lapierrre's own fault for trying to push it 100% back to the pits.

It was stuck in 5th, so he couldn't really drive it slow enough.

It's his own fault for driving into the Manor car in the first place though

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
If this goes slow zone to clear up the #1 then the #2 will be hosed

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Long stop for the #38, changing the rear clip because the lights aren't on

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

jacteh posted:

It certainly didn't help but I think the extra couple stops would have killed them anyway.

They need a few safety cars. Where are the ferraris?

Well Nelson just got into the Rebellion...

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Nelson "safety car on demand" Piquet

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

CactusWeasle posted:

gently caress that Larbre car

Hey, it's only "human"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005