Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

iospace posted:

Wonder who will provide engines

The Ginettas are supposed to be using a direct-injection version of the Mechachrome built GP2 engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
€1000 (apparently) fine for a thumbs up, and an apology:

Vincent Capillaire posted:

Saturday evening, during the race, I was waiting for my relay, helmet on the head at my box.
I wanted to show my encouragement to the leader car, stopped at red light a few meters in front of my box. .
It was a spontaneous encouragement mark as it happens between pilots.
I was fined by Stewards for this gesture and I admit it was inopportune. I regret that.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

CactusWeasle posted:

All my sympathy for Toyota died this year

Much like their cars

Speaking of, the #8 just died on the formation lap at the Nurburgring

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Yeah Dieselgate effectively took 6-8 P1-H's with it. Such is the price of being duplicitious shitheels.

Yeah, this is a day after the German transport minister announced a forced recall on 22,000 Cayennes, making it the 2nd time the Cayenne has ended a Porsche LMP program.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
52 making a bid for freedom from the track

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Unfortunately not, fog came back so it's straight to parc ferme from the grid now.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Alonso has apparently had a seat fitting at Toyota

:dance:

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

Norns posted:

I miss the stupid front engine Nissan

That thing was a trip hazard!

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

harperdc posted:

Two reasons they went that direction according to interviews at the time:

-Audi, Toyota, Porsche, etc had spent years developing and perfecting the MR sports prototype; they felt they had to be unique, and wanted that as well.

-The way the rules were written, there’s more capability for underbody aero if you are front-engined versus mid. With much more downforce from the underbody, you can be clean on top, and maximize top speed at Le Mans. As well, the design and production work was done by guys at AAR who had experience with underbody monsters like that AAR Eagle Mk III.

I’m not saying it was the correct route. I think they were brave (if stupid) for trying something new. But they didn’t develop it in secret for two years like Porsche; it was public almost as soon as they were doing initial shakedowns, never mind extensive testing. They needed at least another year of testing that they never received.

Hell, look at the old Panoz prototypes for proof you can do something different and succeed. Or at least not be embarrassing.

I don't disagree with their reasoning but it probably would've been less embarrassing if they hadn't constantly claimed to have discovered the true secret to unstoppable downforce and that all the other teams were making GBS threads themselves at the thought of the mighty Nissan and it's certain victory at Le Mans in the first year.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
The Dallara/BR Engineering BR1 has been revealed:

https://twitter.com/SMP_Racing/status/931567156193583105

SMP Racing are entring 2 of them into the WEC with the AER V6 twin turbo that was in the Rebellions and the ByKolles.

DragonSpeed also announced that they'll be running a 3rd with a bigger version of the Gibson V8 LMP2 engine (up to 4.5 from 4.2) for their WEC entry that they announced a while back.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

Human Grand Prix posted:

I thought the ByKolles had the Nissan-Cosworth V6?

They switched to the Nissan this(?) year I think, before that they had AERs.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

Gonna struggle at Sebring with that headlight choice

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
SpeedSource are done, with all of their equipment up for auction on the 19th including the last of the Lola chassis and their simulator which looks more like an arcade cabinet:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Prototype Challenge race for P3/Lites cars is on at the moment, and faithfully carrying on the legacy of the PC name: someone hit the wall at turn 1, on the warmup lap, of the first race of the season.

• Locked thread