Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Timby posted:

I still can't believe the Bears are going to punt the best quarterback they've ever had out the door (especially when he has no guaranteed money left) just because Pace and Fox are sick of hearing Joe from Naperville rip into them on talk radio and desperately trying to save their jobs.

They are punting him because Fox hates him. I'm not sure Pace feels the same way, but I suspect that Pace is going to give Fox Hoyer and enough rope to hang himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Nice thread title.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
To be fair, they're not in a position to win right now, and Cutler isn't going to make a difference in that with the time in his career remaining. If you're going to rebuild, bite the bullet and rebuild. Give some younger guy a chance to improve or prove himself.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Abugadu posted:

To be fair, they're not in a position to win right now, and Cutler isn't going to make a difference in that with the time in his career remaining. If you're going to rebuild, bite the bullet and rebuild. Give some younger guy a chance to improve or prove himself.

I'm not sure this is true. The defense is poised to improve and they are letting their top flight WR go. They are cutting a QB they know can start, even though they have some offensive weapons. I think John Fox is a bad coach and a fraud. He wants to get rid of good players if they are not robots, because he is too big a baby to deal with opinions.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I have confidence that whatever decision the Bears make regarding Cutler will be the wrong one.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Sataere posted:

I'm not sure this is true. The defense is poised to improve and they are letting their top flight WR go. They are cutting a QB they know can start, even though they have some offensive weapons. I think John Fox is a bad coach and a fraud. He wants to get rid of good players if they are not robots, because he is too big a baby to deal with opinions.

They also don't have a young QB to push and drafting one and throwing him to the wolves seems dumb.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Timby posted:

I still can't believe the Bears are going to punt the best quarterback they've ever had out the door (especially when he has no guaranteed money left) just because Pace and Fox are sick of hearing Joe from Naperville rip into them on talk radio and desperately trying to save their jobs.

Especially for Mike Glennon of all people.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
the bears are absolutely going to 'move on' from cutler & alshon then attempt to replace them with glennon & mike williams because the front office will be worried about losing their jobs. mark my words.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

mastershakeman posted:

the bears are absolutely going to 'move on' from cutler & alshon then attempt to replace them with glennon & mike williams because the front office will be worried about losing their jobs. mark my words.

I want to think the only way you do this is with an eye to draft your next quarterback and have him sit for a year or maybe two. But it doesn't sound like the Bears are thinking that....so it's Glennon + a drafted WR or bust?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

mastershakeman posted:

You make a change and get 2 years of "They just need time to grow with the team and learn the system." Free pass.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Athanatos posted:

You make a change and get 2 years of "They just need time to grow with the team and learn the system." Free pass.

Pace is safe, I think. He's had to rebuild a dumpster fire of a roster and shown improvement. Fox is the one who has to go at least .500 to save his job. And the man wants Hoyer as his quarterback, so I don't like his chances.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

If you're going to draft a quarterback to sit on the bench and develop why would you not keep Cutler?

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Sataere posted:

Pace is safe, I think. He's had to rebuild a dumpster fire of a roster and shown improvement. Fox is the one who has to go at least .500 to save his job. And the man wants Hoyer as his quarterback, so I don't like his chances.

The Bears 2016 draft class also looks like it might be really good. Please don't ask about 2015 though

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

is kevin white Back

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Emanuel Collective posted:

The Bears 2016 draft class also looks like it might be really good. Please don't ask about 2015 though

I mean, Goldman looks pretty good too. Langford has contributed. It sucks that White broke his leg and Grasu got hurt, but I would still give them both another year before writing them off completely.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

If you're going to draft a quarterback to sit on the bench and develop why would you not keep Cutler?

"He just doesn't look like he cares enough. Now that Glennon, he'll stick his neck out for anyone in the locker room."

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Cutler's going to win a SB next year and I'm going to laugh my loving rear end off.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Frankly, 2015 isn't even that bad considering the dumpster fire that are 2009-2014. The Bears got a whole TWO good players over those 6 drafts. Pace hitting in 2016 is such a breath of fresh air.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm still not sure Pace has really hit on all that many picks, its just that there's a lot of new starters because they were starting over from scratch after a decade of horrific GMing.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Well yeah. The roster was so barren that you can't judge it against itself. While I absolutely believe the drafting has been better, it's going to be a while before we can really identify how much better.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Cutler's going to win a SB next year and I'm going to laugh my loving rear end off.

jay cutler loving sucks

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

mastershakeman posted:

I'm still not sure Pace has really hit on all that many picks, its just that there's a lot of new starters because they were starting over from scratch after a decade of horrific GMing.

I think if is safe to say that he has produced four legitimate starters in the NFL at this point in Goldman, Floyd, Whitehair and Howard.

I guess poo poo can still happen with them, but all of those players have shown they can play in the NFL.

It's really a question of if the above players can reach the next level and a few more starters/role players start establishing themselves over the next couple years.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Goodbye, RILLLLLEEEEEEEYYYY!

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-sound-efx/0ap2000000273946/Sound-FX-Matthew-Stafford-s-Fake-Spike-Game

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Sataere posted:

I think if is safe to say that he has produced four legitimate starters in the NFL at this point in Goldman, Floyd, Whitehair and Howard.

I guess poo poo can still happen with them, but all of those players have shown they can play in the NFL.

It's really a question of if the above players can reach the next level and a few more starters/role players start establishing themselves over the next couple years.

Floyd could easily turn into a turd just like Fuller did, especially with the weird injury issues he's already had. Goldman is just a guy, the other two are pleasant surprises but are re-drafts of guys the year prior (Grasu, that bad rb from MSU)

The important thing is to stay angry at the bears forever

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

mastershakeman posted:

Floyd could easily turn into a turd just like Fuller did, especially with the weird injury issues he's already had. Goldman is just a guy, the other two are pleasant surprises but are re-drafts of guys the year prior (Grasu, that bad rb from MSU)

The important thing is to stay angry at the bears forever

Goldman was showing more than being just a guy, although being hurt all last year, so who knows. Whitehair wasn't drafted to be a center, injuries and the one dude retiring thrust him into that role. And Langford is fine as a third down back. Just expecting him to be Forte was dumb.

Being angry at sports is dumb if you do it all the time. I save my anger for special occasions, like Trestman"s second season. Otherwise, my rage is devalued.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Bears going all in in Neck Osweiler

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
it's cool and good that the Bears are always going to be poo poo

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

my favorite thing is deciding which lovely bears quarterback glennon is going to be like. getting a jonathan quinn vibe from him.

e: Cade NeckNown

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 9, 2017

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

R.D. Mangles posted:

my favorite thing is deciding which lovely bears quarterback glennon is going to be like. getting a jonathan quinn vibe from him.

e: Cade NeckNown

If you don't see Chad Hutchinson, you ain't been paying attention

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

What's the story on Riley? From the outside it appeared he needed some development to find his footing as a starter and settled in as an okay RT but not the LT it was hoped he'd be. Is he just okay? I imagine the Lions are paying a lot for Ricky Wagner and that seems surprising considering they had Rieff.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

WHOOPS posted:

What's the story on Riley? From the outside it appeared he needed some development to find his footing as a starter and settled in as an okay RT but not the LT it was hoped he'd be. Is he just okay? I imagine the Lions are paying a lot for Ricky Wagner and that seems surprising considering they had Rieff.

He's not any good.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
Reports are the Glennon deal will average 14.5 mil over 3 years. Jesus Christ

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

lol bears

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
What the gently caress Pace

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
And apparently Stephon Gilmore was "disappointed" with the Bears offer. This is absurd.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

All that matters is guaranteed money. If he gets paid Brock money, I will be pissed. Otherwise, wait and see.

And apparently Stephon Gilmore was "disappointed" with the Bears offer. This is absurd.

Where did you hear that? And looking at what the Pats offered, any offer would be disappointing.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Bears plan:
Prepare to lose Alshon and Cutler. Sign Glennon to basically what Cutler makes, instead of keeping Hoyer. Then don't spend any money, so that they can keep Cutler on the roster until September before finally cutting him, in a hope that he won't get a starting job elsewhere and make the organization look bad if he were to play well elsewhere

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

mastershakeman posted:

Bears plan:
Prepare to lose Alshon and Cutler. Sign Glennon to basically what Cutler makes, instead of keeping Hoyer. Then don't spend any money, so that they can keep Cutler on the roster until September before finally cutting him, in a hope that he won't get a starting job elsewhere and make the organization look bad if he were to play well elsewhere

I don't think they can wait that long. His contact becomes guaranteed at some point, doesn't it?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Necks Grossman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Sataere posted:

I don't think they can wait that long. His contact becomes guaranteed at some point, doesn't it?

no idea

bears are gonna draft mike williams round 1, some random LT round 2, round 3 peterman, round 4&5 two kickers

• Locked thread