Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Coolguye posted:

you impress nobody by scanning over texts with a closed mind.
sez dude who never learned to :justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Coolguye posted:

if you are opening a book with this mindset and are not a writer looking to pan it for the purpose of selling your own books you really need to re examine why you are reading in the first place. you impress nobody by scanning over texts with a closed mind.

It seems to me that sitting around listening to what the other side has to say is the furthest thing from having a closed mind.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

It seems to me that sitting around listening to what the other side has to say is the furthest thing from having a closed mind.

so, you havent ever read dnd have you

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

listening is the thing that is not happening when you approach something as the text and product of the 'enemy'

nobody's expecting you to totally change your mind about everything because you read an ann coulter book but if you look at her on the dust cover and think "THIS IS THE FACE OF THE ENEMY" then you can probably find something better to read.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Coolguye posted:

listening is the thing that is not happening when you approach something as the text and product of the 'enemy'

nobody's expecting you to totally change your mind about everything because you read an ann coulter book but if you look at her on the dust cover and think "THIS IS THE FACE OF THE ENEMY" then you can probably find something better to read.

have you ever actually read one of ann coulters books though

shes p open about wanting a lotta folks dead

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Coolguye posted:

theres no way to get rid of your preexisting notions about George Bush. the best you can do is try to understand him. you do that by listening to him, reading the book, whatever. I dont see what the better alternative is.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

if you see george bush on the road, read a book about him whatever

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

have you ever actually read one of ann coulters books though

shes p open about wanting a lotta folks dead
sure, but if you've already got it in your head that she is literally loving satan on the weekends why would you give her $20 and waste hours of your life reading that junk? with that mindset, it amounts to toilet paper with words on it.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

theres no way to get rid of your preexisting notions about George Bush. the best you can do is try to understand him. you do that by listening to him, reading the book, whatever. I dont see what the better alternative is.
the thought that comes to mind is to read it with an attitude that does not preclude being wrong about something.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
manufacturing consent - noam chomsky

bcum woke

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
is ghost wars good/reputable?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The West Wing for American politics.

First Among Equals and House of Cards for British politics.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

cargo cult posted:

is ghost wars good/reputable?

It won the Pulitzer Prize.

You should also read The Looming Tower, the two together are a great primer on what lead to 9/11 and the War on Terror.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
if im gonna read one or two comprehensive books about the CIA what do i pick? I have heard mixed things about legacy of ashes and thats really the only book i can think off of the top of my head. also planning on reading imperial life in the green zone

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Read Norman Mailer's book Harlot's Ghost.

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009
Matewan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RSaBoDl_9k

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

i watched a movie called the battle for sevastopol about the soviet lady sniper that killed over 300 fascists and met woody guthrie and met elanor roosevelt. the movie was okay but it was mostly about how horny all the snipers were and how she kept falling in love with dudes that were doomed to die. anyway it was recent and russian made but seemed decently pro soviet so i rate it a b+ because there's a good woody guthrie song in it.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

jarofpiss posted:

i watched a movie called the battle for sevastopol about the soviet lady sniper that killed over 300 fascists and met woody guthrie and met elanor roosevelt. the movie was okay but it was mostly about how horny all the snipers were and how she kept falling in love with dudes that were doomed to die. anyway it was recent and russian made but seemed decently pro soviet so i rate it a b+ because there's a good woody guthrie song in it.

It's shockingly good for a post-Soviet Russian movie, but it felt like the big takeaway was that the biggest casualty of the war was normal domestic life.

Anyway, best Eleanor Roosevelt I've seen on film in a long rear end time. Best Woody Guthrie too. But only because they never make any movies about Woody Guthrie.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
Is the charles lister Syria book good? someone got it for me but ive also heard he's a gulf monarCuck

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Judgment at Nuremberg is good. The Mortal Storm was apparently how a lot of Americans first learned about Hitler being a dick re: Jews, and is also good.

Maybe watch something by Mel Brooks in between those two so you don't get clinical depression.

Volcott has issued a correction as of 03:16 on Apr 6, 2017

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

jsut read moby dick instead

moby dick ownnss

hot take

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

I tried to read Das Kapital the other day but HOO BOY is marx a lovely boring writer

jesus christ 50 pages about 10 yards linen = 1 coat, but 1 coat = 10 yards linen, but 10 yards linen = 10 yards linen means nothing but is true. dude, i got it within the first of your thousand paragraphs on the subject

i want to continue reading it so I can pretend to be a snarky intellectual but it's really painfully bad

maybe im just not woke enough

All philosophers do that, they take NOTHING for granted.

"We can agree, for instance, that black is black. Black is not white. If someone were to present you with the colour white and state that it is black, they could only do so if they were deliberately deceiving" (goes on for 94 pages - and the article is about the colour green)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

that's CHAIRMAN bob avakian to you, thank you

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

No "Wag the Dog" mention?

Watch it again and learn to hate Slick Willy and Dubya all over again.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I dated a person in the media who really liked Network, but said the best movie/show about the media is The Newsroom. What do I do?

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

http://readsettlers.org

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

fr0id posted:

I dated a person in the media who really liked Network, but said the best movie/show about the media is The Newsroom. What do I do?

How can they hold both of these opinions

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Nixon - It's been sorta forgot today but it won Anthony Hopkins his other back-to-back best actor Oscar

I first saw it shortly after the fuckerage that elected GW Bush, and the Bit in the 1960 election where Republicans don't wanna contest JFK's win because of the damage it could do played like searing satire.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Zas posted:

moby dick ownnss

hot take

why does everybody think im putting them on :smith:

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

keep meaning to do this

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Zas posted:

moby dick ownnss

hot take

that's not a hot take, that is a cool take

a hot take would be if you said something like "jane eyre is well written and charlotte bronte is worth reading"

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Coolguye posted:

that's not a hot take, that is a cool take

a hot take would be if you said something like "jane eyre is well written and charlotte bronte is worth reading"

jane eyre is worth reading to understand wide sargasso sea better

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

reading jane eyre i learned ejaculate used to be a synonym with interject or exclaim

that's the only interesting moment i experienced in all of those terrible pages of meandering drivel

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

i watched network last night, it was pretty good

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

i watched network last night, it was pretty good

Same but I watched The Net and it was bad.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Is there a good explanation of the "housing bubble" and how the banks caused it for people who don't know poo poo about economics that I could read

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Is there a good explanation of the "housing bubble" and how the banks caused it for people who don't know poo poo about economics that I could read

Just say "Mark Blyth" three times in front a mirror

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Hemingway To Go! posted:

The Big Short (I've only seen the movie) explains it pretty well

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The Big Short (I've only seen the movie) explains it pretty well

Also:

https://m.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/355/the-giant-pool-of-money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Hemingway To Go! posted:

1) houses
houses are worth lots of money, and keep increasing in value always* (for some values of always)
people always* want to buy houses because they are worth lots of money and keep increasing in value always* (also you can live in them)

2) risk
these days, mortgage originators don't bear any risk whatsover -- you loan some schmuck some money, and sell that fuckin loan to some bank for a bit off the top BAM cash in your pocket
banks own like a gazillion mortgages and package them up into derivative instruments (bets on bets on bets etc) and sell them to other banks, so THEIR risk is abstracted and leveraged out to other people anyway
plus if you take like 28 good loans and 2 bad loans, put them in a package, tada its the same as 30 PRETTY good loans
and then if you do that enough, soon if you take like 15 good loans and 15 poo poo loans and put them in a package its PRETTY CLOSE to the same as 30 pretty good loans
originators don't give a poo poo as long as banks buy their loans, banks don't give a poo poo because as long as they can sell the debt in leveraged packages to other banks, everybody is makin money hand over fist, people buyin mad houses

3) foreclosure
everyone thinks that because houses are worth a lot of money always*, and keep increasing in money always* it's fine to loan money to some schmuck with a low credit score because gently caress 'em you can just take the house and sell it to somebody else ART OF THE DEAL BABY
(and because all the risk is packaged and sold as a derivative financial product anyway, absolutely no one gives a poo poo at all about anything because they're makin money)

so all that goes on for a bit and gently caress yes :homebrew: so much money

4) reality sets in
so it turns out that lending a ton of money to people who cant pay it back is actually not great, and those schmucks cant actually keep up with a 0% down 500k mortgage monthly payment
so now all of a sudden the bank owns some houses and is like fuuuuuck gotta sell these cribs
and then remember how everyone was incentivized to make a ton of bad loans, well yeah now there's actually a lot of foreclosures and the bank owns a lot of houses
and it turns out, when there are a shitton of houses for sale................. house prices actually go down :tbear: :lol: oops
and then holy poo poo those trillion dollar derivative financial instruments are worth suddenly, zero dollars because they were so leveraged and the underlying mortgages asploded

5) rinse repeat
now banks are freaking out, people are freaking out, economy takes a bump and SURPRISE that actually makes things EVEN WORSE
etcetera etcetera

• Locked thread