Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

At 41, the worst so far is epididymitis. Basically felt like I had just been kicked in the balls for 3-4 days straight. I've had it a couple times since, but never as bad. Like pinkeye, it's caused by poo particles.

Edit: Just remembered 2nd degree burns on my shoulders after swimming during an overcast afternoon. Holy hell that hurt. Worst part was having to be clothed at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009
Oh there was also the time I full speed ran into the side of a guy's car on my bike going downhill at like 18 miles per hour. I couldn't move my arm for about a day. The guy at the campus clinic told me there was nothing I could really do, he didn't really think it was broken, and that I should just take tylenol.

I ended up being really good friends with the dude who's car I ran into. I probably had a hairline fracture but I just wore a sling for a bit and was okay in a few weeks.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I broke my collarbone drunk then partied at nightclubs till the morning and the next day holy hell it hurt

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Probably when the painkillers wore off right as the dentist was extracting an impacted wisdom tooth. The roots were also embedded in the jawbone so it felt like someone slowly breaking one of your bones. Not a fun day

DICTATOR OF FUNK
Nov 6, 2007

aaaaaw yeeeeeah
you're mothers genitals :smugdog:

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
I had a ton of ear infections as a kid and there was a certain type of ear drops they gave me one time that burned like a mother. It felt like acid dripped into my ear canal. I had to quit those right away.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

back in early 2008 i started having nausea, then upper back pain. then i couldn't do certain gestures with my hands. Suddenly i was dry heaving. I couldn't walk five feet without being in agony.

Finally an ER doc did some blood work (after like 3 different hospitals said nothing was wrong), and he saw my white cell count was so high as if it was fighting a really loving bad infection.

They gave me a spinal tap, to see if it was meningitis. Nope. Anyway, that made things worse. The inside of your skull has spines, and spinal fluid supports your brain in the skull and keeps it from bumping into those spines, so when it's diminished after a spinal tap, and leaking from the puncture, your only salvation is hardcore painkillers.

I was functional after 2 weeks in the hospital of constant bloodwork and observation, but i had residual pain for months, and a year and a half later i had a brief flash of identical symptoms but they subsided and i was no longer under my parents insurance so i couldn't do much but walk into the ER and be told it's not an emergency.

Oh well, who knows when it will strike back.

Riotgrrill
Sep 3, 2004

the kiwi farm thread

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Lost Canyoneer posted:

Let's just say I'll be real happy if I NEVER have another kidney stone.

Yep, kidney stone here too. Excruciating pain.

MettleRamiel
Jun 29, 2005

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

OK this one made me cringe reading it.

What does a toe even look like with the nail ripped off? I don't want to Google image it. Just a vague description would suffice.

I had a toenail die and then eventually fall off, but there was this creepy, soft toenail waiting underneath to replace it. It was so unnerving to touch this normal looking toenail that was squishy. I thought I must be part lizard. It still grosses me out to think about it.

To contribute, let me start off by saying that I don't take freezing too well. When I get stitches, the doctor will give me 5-7 needles checking each time if I am frozen, but it never lasts more than a few seconds. Eventually, they just give up and give me the stitches. As you can imagine, feeling each and every stitch is rather unpleasant.

So, when I had to get my wisdom teeth pulled out, I told this to the dentist. He reassured me that he had topical numbing as well and that his freezing was better than the hospital's. When he gave me the freezing he asked if I could feel him touching the numb parts to which I said "yes". He didn't believe me so he stabbed me in the cheeck and was shocked to hear me yell out at him. So he gave me more numbing and more needles and eventually, I was feeling sorta numb, but I was pretty sure it wouldn't last. He insisted that it would only take about 20 minutes.

It took an hour and a half, the numbing wore off within 10 minutes and he used all the tools on his table. Drills, pliers, lances, everything. It was excruciating. I kept telling him that it hurt and he would just respond with "We can't stop now, I'm almost done" or "let me try something else". I finally tapped out at two teeth and got the other two pulled put under anesthesia.

The most unsettling thing was his words during the ordeal, though. He would be prying and pulling at my tooth and then stop, look into my mouth and say "hmmmmmm?". Then he would grab a drill, grind away, stop, look at my mouth and say "it's really stubborn. weird" them grab another tool. He sounded like he had never done this before and I was scared for my mouth the whole time.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

B.H. Facials posted:

testicular torsion

This is definitely the most painful thing I experienced. Nothing like having lower abdominal pain for a few hours, then you get up to piss and holy poo poo my balls are swollen to the size of a volleyball!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
probably the time I had period cramps so bad I puked every ten minutes for 12+ hours and had to crawl to the bathroom to change my tampons because it hurt too bad to use my legs

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Whoever is not posting "forcing kidney stones through your dickhole" is wrong

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I was a dumb kid and was scared to speak up at a dentist appointment and so had a tooth drilled and filled without enough local anesthetic.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsqznXiwnXI

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sankis posted:

I was a dumb kid and was scared to speak up at a dentist appointment and so had a tooth drilled and filled without enough local anesthetic.

youre lucky to be alive

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not surprised so many people are saying kidney stone, considering what they look like.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

tickape posted:

either that or the time i was withdrawing from effexor (venlafaxine) i honestly dont know which one was worse

I did maybe 72-96 hours cold turkey off Effexor once (certainly not by choice, rather by misadventure), and that is not an experience I'd wish on my worst enemy. "Painful" probably isn't the right word, but "unpleasant" doesn't even get in the ballpark.

Won't be doing that again. Pro-tip: if you decide to go off Effexor, institute a very long weaning period. Otherwise may God help you 'cause your brain sure won't.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
I had to get a catheter put in when i was 8 and the place i was getting it done at only had ones gauged for 11 and up.

after they took it out it took me like six hours crying over a toilet until the swelling went down enough for me to piss.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

some of us have never had a dickhole or a kidney stone tbf

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mdemone posted:

I did maybe 72-96 hours cold turkey off Effexor once (certainly not by choice, rather by misadventure), and that is not an experience I'd wish on my worst enemy. "Painful" probably isn't the right word, but "unpleasant" doesn't even get in the ballpark.

Won't be doing that again. Pro-tip: if you decide to go off Effexor, institute a very long weaning period. Otherwise may God help you 'cause your brain sure won't.

It's usually like 2 weeks to a month for most of that kind of poo poo.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I hope to God I never get kidney stones. I drink like a gallon of water per day so I hope that's enough to prevent them. I remember when my grandfather had them and the doctor gave him the stones in a little jar to take home. Seems like a real "gently caress you" gesture but looking at those things and imagining them coming out of your dick horrified me as a kid.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
lumbar punctures aka spinal taps every month for 3.5 years
went without anesthetic because it was useless and demerol made me feel like throwing up
but the thing about pain is it is far different when you anticipate it and know you arent actually going to be injured by it. without the fear it can be just another sensation. it didnt take many before they were quite easy, regardless of pain.
pain with fear of injury, disability, or disfigurement would be much worse

(spinal taps are when a wide needle is shoved to break into one of your vertebrae lengthwise right where all the nerves that carry pain signals to your brain from more than half your body are. if you wanted to install an on/off switch for pain that would be a good place)

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 22, 2017

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Campylobacter made me want to kill myself for about a week

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Push lawnmower pitched a blade, testicle did a bungee jump

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

mdemone posted:

Ahahaha. Yeah, don't gently caress with Effexor. It does what it's made for very well, but gently caress you if you miss a couple days. An insurance lapse in the US can wreck your everything with that stuff.

Most physically painful thing I have endured is my appendix loving up. The doctors said that if I hadn't gotten it out that night, it would have ruptured. It felt like I had eaten glass and it had made its way down to my bowel. Ugh.

The Protagonist posted:

Push lawnmower pitched a blade, testicle did a bungee jump

That is so beautifully succinct, yet wonderfully descriptive. You are a poet.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

There's a lot of pissy bitchbabies itt.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

YeahTubaMike posted:

some of us have never had a dickhole or a kidney stone tbf

asl?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Obliterated the top bone of my pinky finger while stacking firewood. Slammed down a 20 lb log with my right hand and didn't pull my left hand away fast enough. All they could do was sew it shut hope the bone fused back together. It did, but my pinky looks loving weird now and the nail has a crack down the middle that is only now starting to go away 10 years later.

I did learn from that ordeal that if you tell the ER nurse that you're nauseous it gets you seen asap!

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

scrubs season six posted:

There's a lot of pissy bitchbabies itt.

Is this ANOTHER post about kidney stones??

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

most of these sound hilarious

especially when you picture your average goon going through them

also mine is a tie between the time i slammed my hand in a car door and seeing half my hand outside of a closed door with the other half on the inside or the time when i got ghost pepper juice all up in my eyes and underneath my fingernails.

i was a goofy kid that grew up to be a goofy man

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Here in America, you grab them by pussy. In old country, pussy grab you!!
Buglord
when i was a kid I got chronic ear infections culminating in one that felt like someone was jabbing an icepick in my ear day and night every 3 seconds

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Gallstones make childbirth seem like a breeze.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

realbez posted:

Campylobacter made me want to kill myself for about a week

its pretty fuckin poo poo hey

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Suspekt Device posted:

I got injected with Narcan. You go from being on heroin to the exact opposite of heroin in the space of a few seconds. I felt like a rock had cracked open my skull.

I've had one patient we had to blast like that because he was already blue when we got there. I was always gentle with it otherwise. You know you did it right when they say they still feel high, whereas they were dead to the world a minute or so before.

There was one reg one of my partners hated and we'd always have to do a sternal run to rose him and then right away she'd start in with the narcan threats. He was a petulant little prick but I admire all committed addicts and we never narcaned him during one of my shifts. He ODed and died eventually of course.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I got an infection in my balls or the vas defrens when I was like ten. We went to the urologist about it and he was tuggin on my nuts while I screamed bloody murder. His conclusion was that it was viral and that in a week or would be better. He was right about that at least.

I also broke my ankle. Neither one of those was good but both were endurable in the end.

I'm pretty sure the most pain a person can feel outside of deliberate torture is being burnt up. There are some burns that a 3x normally-max adult dose of IV morphine can't touch.

raton fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 22, 2017

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Acute appendicitis

Worse than a broken bone

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Sheep-Goats posted:

I'm pretty sure the most pain a person can feel outside of deliberate torture is being burnt up. There are some burns that a 3x normally-max adult dose of IV morphine can't touch.

Yeah, they put severe burns patients in an induced coma for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Isaac posted:

its pretty fuckin poo poo hey

there's a lot of poo poo

• Locked thread