Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Root canal with ineffective anesthesia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

Slammed one of my toes into the leg of a couch so hard it dislocated into a hosed up L shape. Googled what to do about it (hospital or self-fix) like a fuckin turbonerd, giving it plenty of time to swell up. Eventually I grabbed the end of the toe and pulled it straight forward as hard as I could, which did relocate it while also hurting like a motherbitch

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost
I broke my leg when I was 8. Got shot in the gut when I was 12 and a motorcycle accident two years ago.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I been pretty bessed with no breaks or injuries or whatever, so probably the time I was so constipated I had to go to the hospital. Just doubled up on my side curling in on myself on the floor. Fuckin miserable.

I am gonna weep the first time I gotta face anything like you goons.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Checking in with the cluster headache crew!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

unpleasantly turgid posted:

IDK if this is NWS or not (I'm guessing no) but if it is a mod can just spoiler it

anyway,

I'm trans, so when I was younger I really wanted to cut my penis off-- the first step my seven-year-old mind came up with was to numb it

I'd watched some documentaries about pioneers and learned that numbness happens during hypothermia, so I wanted to essentially freeze my dick before cutting into it. To do this, I filled a ziploc bag with ice and left it on my crotch for, like, what... one minute? It was so unbelievably far from frozen, let alone hypothermic, that I just have no explanation for why I took the following step. It was just cold but that was, to me, good enough.

Step two is where the pain-train leaves the station.

Using a loving steak knife in the bathroom, I took one drag across the base of my dick and it just exploded with pain.

I was doubled-up on the bathroom floor crying like, well, a seven-year-old and clutching my crotch. I don't remember if there was a lot of blood, but my hands were pretty red. Luckily, no one was home so I just hid the knife and wrapped my weiner in bandaids and didn't shower for a while so scar tissue could develop before water compromised the adhesive. It looked like I was wearing a leather condom.

In retrospect, it's hilarious, but I wish I'd waited a little longer on the ice :(

Roger_Mudd posted:

Checking in with the cluster headache crew!

Haha

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Subvisual Haze posted:

First, I had to sneeze. Since I'd had allergies and nasal problems forever, I had unconsciously learned how to sneeze "quietly" (barely open your mouth, the sneeze goes mostly out the nose, it barely makes a sound). The first time I tried to sneeze with the packing in I did this by habit. It was like the pressure of the sneeze ran into the packing blocking the exit and then started frantically looking in every direction for an alternate escape route. For about 5 seconds I was absolutely convinced that my brain was going explode from the pressure I felt inside my head.

The first time I sneezed after the injury it caused indescribable pain and the doctors warned me against sneezing and loving up my path to recovery. I feel ya.

Odradek
May 23, 2007

Don't hate me because I'm cute
I used to have a bad knee (busted it in High School during wrestling practice) that started to flare up a few times a year in the last 10 years. I was working for the US Government in Seoul, South Korea and I started to have another knee issue. No problem. Ice it, take anti-inflammatory drugs and stay off it as much as possible, right? At the same time I noticed a swelling down in the taint area. Great. Peritonitis visits me to give me the daily double. After both problems got too much to deal with, I asked a co-worked to drive me over to Saint Mary's hospital, which I heard was a great teaching hospital that catered to the expat community. I hobble into into in-patient care and this adorable Korean nurse starts to get my info. Despite my lack of comfort, I'm getting a little flirty. Just as we are finishing up with the paperwork, I notice a sudden wetness down below. Yep. I popped. I made a joke about the movie "Carrie" and the nurse was all so professional. "Go clean up in the bathroom and I will take you to the first doctor." After mopping up the blood and yuck, I hobble back over and we walk across the hall to the butt doctor. The cute nurse stays, because this is a teaching hospital and she needs to learn how to deal with a white dude with a butt abscess. The doctor says "This is going to hurt." He lanced me and I pretty much froze in shock. After milking all the goop out of me he packed me with gauze and told me to use the bidet for a week. The same nurse took me up to the 2nd floor to see the knee doctor. He took one look at my soccer ball sized knee and said "Looks like a bad bacterial infection. Hold still. This is going to hurt. A lot" before slamming a needle into my knee and sucking out about 20cc if what looked like banana pudding. I spent the next two weeks on daily antibiotic injections and another 2 weeks on super antibiotic pills. End result was no more bad taint or knee, but the antibiotics killed all my good bacteria so I have no desire to eat and have to start finding a doctor here in the USA so I can get a fecal transplant so I can have good gut bacteria again. Those Korean doctors tell it to you straight.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
So the most painful part of that story was your pride shattering into a thousand pieces right? Because that's what it sounds like

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
The Koreans stole your return key.

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
Had a DVT in my popliteal vein, ended at the knee. That sucked in itself, but what made it the worst for me was that I had a second DVT there shortly after, which got up into my groin. Have chronic pain in the knee and groin still several years later :(

But if that's the worst thing for me then I consider myself lucky

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe

IDK if this is NWS or not (I'm guessing no) but if it is a mod can just spoiler it

anyway,

I'm trans, so when I was younger I really wanted to cut my penis off-- the first step my seven-year-old mind came up with was to numb it

I'd watched some documentaries about pioneers and learned that numbness happens during hypothermia, so I wanted to essentially freeze my dick before cutting into it. To do this, I filled a ziploc bag with ice and left it on my crotch for, like, what... one minute? It was so unbelievably far from frozen, let alone hypothermic, that I just have no explanation for why I took the following step. It was just cold but that was, to me, good enough.

Using a loving steak knife in the bathroom, I took one drag across the base of my dick and it just exploded with pain.

I was doubled-up on the bathroom floor crying like, well, a seven-year-old and clutching my crotch. I don't remember if there was a lot of blood, but my hands were pretty red. Luckily, no one was home so I just hid the knife and wrapped my weiner in bandaids and didn't shower for a while so scar tissue could develop before water compromised the adhesive. It looked like I was wearing a leather condom.

In retrospect, it's hilarious, but I wish I'd waited a little longer on the ice :(

:aaaaa:

Did it heal properly? Did your parents find out? Were they okay with the whole gender thing? Glad you find it hilarious now because gently caress.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I participated in a 100 mile race and had some leg trouble at mile 45. I ended up hobbling around 55 miles with a leg that wasn't functional for a week. I've broken bones and such, but those are temporary
, this was 15 hrs of pain with no relief in sight.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

anyway,

JEsus dude

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Odradek posted:

Ice it, take anti-inflammatory drugs and stay off it as much as possible, right?

This is literally the worst way possible to encourage healing lol

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
Wisdom teeth removal. I had all 4 done at once. Two of them they had to cut into my jawbone to get out. (I have unusually deep roots.)
Bone graft to help rebuild where they cut my jawbone. (I have a dead mans bone in my mouth.)

Motherfucking kidney stones. Ever been drug out into the street and beaten till you pissed blood? That's what it feels like.

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 25, 2017

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I've been pretty lucky when it comes to not having painful experiences. The most painful incident I can remember was back in July. I woke up one morning with stabbing abdominal/stomach pain. It kept moving from my lower back to the sides of my chest and back again, over and over. I at least made it to the emergency center before collapsing to the ground at the receptionist desk and puking on the floor. I remember wishing someone would just knock me out so I would stop being in pain. Also made it hard to breathe, so the entire time I was on the verge of passing out but never did. Then, as I was being led to the waiting room, it just suddenly vanished. It happened again a month or two later while I was on vacation. Still no idea what it was. Maybe repeated food poisoning. Dunno. :shrug:

Also, the occasional migraine sucks, but it at least doesn't make me want to bash my head into the wall to knock myself out.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
Screw came loose in my bike seat while going down a steep hill. Seat tipped back and dumped me and my junk right onto the back tire which pulled all of my junk right into the rear fork. With my crotch caught in the rear fork i accidentally pulled the handlebar hard to the side and ended up flipping the bike forward and faceplanting on the street.

Still didn't hurt as much as my first kidney stone though.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

anyway,

I'm really sorry you had to go through that, I think a lot of us have done similar things so you aren't alone. I pray someday no young woman has to go through the horror of having a man's penis attached to herself and having to resort to something like this.

cnut
May 3, 2016

As a teenager, I had an abscessed tooth that swelled up half my face. After a course penicillin I went to the dentist for a root canal (it was a front upper tooth). A small "marble", as my dentist called it, was still on my gums, the swelling never went completely away. Guess where the dentist stuck his needle to freeze the tooth he wanted to work on? All the while the needle was in me I was wondering how much pain it takes to make one pass out. I've broken both legs and my right arm (all twice each) and I've never felt anything that came close to this. Had to get out of the chair and walk it off, Holy gently caress, just thinking about it...

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Getting molested when I was six.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

MageMage posted:

I'm really sorry you had to go through that, I think a lot of us have done similar things so you aren't alone. I pray someday no young woman has to go through the horror of having a man's penis attached to herself and having to resort to something like this.

im p sure its a lady penis if your trans

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

who's penis was it

Lt Dan Ice Cream
Jul 29, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Waiting two days to go to the hospital after breaking my knee. The doctor twisted and turned my leg to get the xray and I pissed myself it hurt so bad.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

I take it back. My worst experience was when a massive grass spider got into my shower and ran up my leg while I was washing my hair. It didn't bite me but I could feel it on my leg for days and always feel it when I'm in the shower. I'd call it physically painful because it was a terribe physical sensation.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I had a bad leg cramp in the middle of the night once. Woke me from a dead sleep with my ears ringing and my whole leg screaming in pain. I tried to walk it off but got a few steps and blacked out only to come to a few moments later.

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009
(My E key is dodgy so forgiv any misspellings.)

I pulled something in my lower back and thn complicated it when my brothr trid to pull me up off th floor. I had to lay on my back on th family room floor for three days flipping betwen agony or giggling and drooling doped up on pills. Finally I had to poop too bad to hold it anymore and took thre muscle rlaxnts in ordr to haul myself up via stepstool to hobbl to th bathroom. But th pills mad me nauseous so I'm holding a trash can and pooping only to find that I couldn't wip myself. By that point I was dripping sweat and swearing and crying and veryone upstairs was awake and lik "WTF is happning." I vntually swivlled enough to tak care of myslf and gt upstairs to bed, but it took me two months of mainly laying on my back to gt back to "normal." Don't know what you'v got till it's gone, like bing abl to wash your hands without weping becaus you hav to lean over.

Also, I hav migraines but nothing compars to my suicide attempt when I was 18 and took OTC sleping pills. The pain was just.... It was lik a stabbing migrain but it MOVED around my head; I could feel it sear it's way across th top of my head and circl around th front of my forhead and thn linger around my ears. I thought my ears were bleeding from th prssure, and for a wek I had a constant toilt flushing nois in my ears all th time.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Over a labor day weekend, I must have had an ingrown hair on my taint and a small clogged pore resulted.

No big deal since I thought it would just pop and I'd clean it out.

By the end of Labor Day, it had swollen to the size of a golf ball. I was eating pain meds like candy and was actually sick to my stomach from the pain.

Ended up sitting on a heating pad for a few hours and it finally busted.

When I went to the bathroom to check it, my underpants were full of rotten-smelling pus and there was a hole the diameter of a dime.

Ended up going to a clinic the next day where a nurse lanced the rest of it. If I had waited any longer, I probably would have gone into septic shock because the wound was almost deep enough to each an artery.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Catheter shoved up my pee hole while I was conscious and with no pain meds.

My appendix had just bursted (I waited too long because I'm stubborn) and it was easily the most painful thing ever. The size of the tube is not thin like you would think. It's about the size of a Big Gulp straw's thickness. I would randomly think about it when pissing for a good 6 months and I'd grit my teeth.

Why? My appendicitis is mine. Just moaning in agony all night long.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

I take it back. My worst experience was when a massive grass spider got into my shower and ran up my leg while I was washing my hair. It didn't bite me but I could feel it on my leg for days and always feel it when I'm in the shower. I'd call it physically painful because it was a terribe physical sensation.

Look at this pussy. Like the spider was lost, just wanted outta the fuckin' water, wanted not to drown, and had no idea it caused permanent psychological damage to a titanic being it represented no threat to whatsoever.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
herniated disc in my lower back, multiple times

you basically can't move for weeks, and often need super opoids to simply lay still reasonably comfortably

even then I'm still most terrified of kidney stones. my dad and sister both had them. my dad is the most stoic dude you'd ever meet and was reduced to weeping like a baby during the worst of it

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

darth_pizza posted:

Fractured wrist at 18, waited for hours in excruciating pain in the waiting room as patient after patient was seen and my wrist kept swelling up and hurting worse.

thanks, healthcare!@

I fractured my left wrist and right wrist sophomore and junior year of football.

I got a bunch of tape and a splint and finished the game before being taken to the hospital. It hurt like a motherfucker but you're still functional.

It helped I played strong safety so I just ran around and hit people I didn't have to use my hands much

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

Waroduce posted:

I fractured my left wrist and right wrist sophomore and junior year of football.

I got a bunch of tape and a splint and finished the game before being taken to the hospital. It hurt like a motherfucker but you're still functional.

It helped I played strong safety so I just ran around and hit people I didn't have to use my hands much

Insanely stupid

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Odradek posted:

I used to have a bad knee (busted it in High School during wrestling practice) that started to flare up a few times a year in the last 10 years. I was working for the US Government in Seoul, South Korea and I started to have another knee issue. No problem. Ice it, take anti-inflammatory drugs and stay off it as much as possible, right? At the same time I noticed a swelling down in the taint area. Great. Peritonitis visits me to give me the daily double. After both problems got too much to deal with, I asked a co-worked to drive me over to Saint Mary's hospital, which I heard was a great teaching hospital that catered to the expat community. I hobble into into in-patient care and this adorable Korean nurse starts to get my info. Despite my lack of comfort, I'm getting a little flirty. Just as we are finishing up with the paperwork, I notice a sudden wetness down below. Yep. I popped. I made a joke about the movie "Carrie" and the nurse was all so professional. "Go clean up in the bathroom and I will take you to the first doctor." After mopping up the blood and yuck, I hobble back over and we walk across the hall to the butt doctor. The cute nurse stays, because this is a teaching hospital and she needs to learn how to deal with a white dude with a butt abscess. The doctor says "This is going to hurt." He lanced me and I pretty much froze in shock. After milking all the goop out of me he packed me with gauze and told me to use the bidet for a week. The same nurse took me up to the 2nd floor to see the knee doctor. He took one look at my soccer ball sized knee and said "Looks like a bad bacterial infection. Hold still. This is going to hurt. A lot" before slamming a needle into my knee and sucking out about 20cc if what looked like banana pudding. I spent the next two weeks on daily antibiotic injections and another 2 weeks on super antibiotic pills. End result was no more bad taint or knee, but the antibiotics killed all my good bacteria so I have no desire to eat and have to start finding a doctor here in the USA so I can get a fecal transplant so I can have good gut bacteria again. Those Korean doctors tell it to you straight.

If it makes you feel any better I'm sure the fecal transplant wont hurt.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

Tolkien minority posted:

im p sure its a lady penis if your trans

No, we're not going to play this game.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Nevvy Z posted:

Why? My appendicitis is mine. Just moaning in agony all night long.

Not sure what part you are asking about but if you are asking why I didn't have pain meds when they put the catheter in, I am not sure. It was after the surgery and I couldn't piss on my own (I still had this drain plunged into my stomach) so they just stuck it in. The second worse pain ever was them pulling that drain out. Again I am not sure why no pain meds after the surgery; I have never been addicted to drugs so the only reason I can think of was they were being cheap?

And if you are asking why I waited so long to go to the hospital well it was like 3 days of stomach pains but I thought it was just something I ate. Then on the 4th day, when it actually ruptured, I literally walked into my house and fell on the floor because I couldn't walk. I actually asked my wife to go to CVS and get me Imodium. My wife said I was nuts and drove me to the hospital.

5 days in the hospital instead of the typical 1 for appendicitis because I was stupid enough to wait for it to actually rupture :shepface:

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 27, 2017

Lt Dan Ice Cream
Jul 29, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
In 2003 my appendix burst. Leading up to it, I thought it was some bad chilli I had earlier that day. After walking the track I went home and laid on the couch with what I thought was a stomach ache. The next morning it was still there and the pain had increased in persistence until I finally felt something tear and the burning sensation in my lower abdominal area caused me to fall to the floor in an all fours position. I yelled to my mother to go get some laxatives, thinking I had massive constipation. She went to the store and brought me some suppositories, but it didn't work. After about two hours in agonizing pain and having a hard time breathing I asked her to drive me to St Anthony's (the hospital my grandmother died in four short years earlier).

I was unemployed and didn't have medical insurance (By the way, this is what it was like in the United States before ACA). I was a young man and didn't think I needed it. I used my previous employer's name and told them I was still employed with them and had insurance because I was scared they would turn me away. I had emergency surgery performed and woke up ten hours later with doctors and assistants standing around my bed clapping.

For the next week my lower intestines were asleep. I couldn't process food, so instead, I would throw it up. I opted to not eat but they would feed me with an IV. With no food entering my stomach, the bile from my liver would pool in my stomach until I would puke. I would be allowed a morphine injection every ten hours which would put me to sleep for eight hours. The problem with this is that I would wake up after eight hours and puke and twist and turn and scream for two hours until the nurse would come and give me another shot to put me to sleep. The green bile from your liver is something out of a horror movie. They shoved a loving tube down my throat and knocked me out.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

lunch on a train posted:

In 2003 my appendix burst. Leading up to it, I thought it was some bad chilli I had earlier that day.

I thought I must've bruised my abdomen on some furniture at a party or something, but then after the third sleepless night of pain and cold sweats I woke up to find the bruise had moved...
I was finally convinced after that I needed to see a doctor. Fuckin' appendixes, man - what's their deal???

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
colonoscopy while suffering from an inflamed fistula

hurt so bad i instantly woke up from the analgosedation and had an adrenaline rush out of this world afterwards, the other patients in the waiting room looked a bit worried as the nurse took me back to the station as i had screamed like a madman through the procedure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Ejaculating is a 10 on the pain scale.

• Locked thread