Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

PJOmega posted:

I forget, is the Unique pip per player or for the table as a whole?

For the table, https://arkhamdb.com/rules#Unique

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
If you Exile a card, are you required to replace it after the end of the scenario? Or can you then end up playing with a 29 (+bonus cards) deck?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Kerro posted:

If you Exile a card, are you required to replace it after the end of the scenario? Or can you then end up playing with a 29 (+bonus cards) deck?

From the rules:

quote:

Some player cards in The Dunwich Legacy cycle must be exiled when they are used. When a card is exiled, it is removed from the game and returned to your collection. During campaign play, a card that has been exiled must be purchased again with experience points (between scenarios) if you wish to re-include it in your deck. If exiling 1 or more cards would reduce your deck below your investigator's deck size, when purchasing cards between scenarios, you must purchase cards so that a legal deck size is maintained (when purchasing cards in this manner, you may purchase level 0 cards for 0 experience cost until a legal deck size is reached).

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
That's such a cool and thematic mechanic. Short term power hampering your long term development.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
The flare seems a lot better than the fire extinguisher, since you can play it straight from hand and the fight effect is really action efficient. Whereas the fire extinguisher takes an action to put into play, takes a hand slot, and the fight action really doesn't add much. Also, Flare has the wild skill icon.

Taking into account the investigators who can use these, Flare looks even better:
Currently Wendy, Ashcan Pete and Agnes can use these cards. Of these, Wendy already has access to Rogue cards that let her cheaply get away from (granted, not evade) all enemies, so Fire Extinguisher's second action seems dubious, and the first action doesn't help her low combat at all. This leaves Ashcan and Agnes, but these tend to be capable of killing enemies so aren't necessarely looking for a big evade. Although granted, they both don't value their hand slots very high.

Flare on the other hand can let Wendy fight (and use her ability to avoid a bad token) or have a decent shot at putting a Leo de Luca (or a Cat Burglar) into play for a cost of 2, which is certainly something. If you also run Peter Sylvestre because you're going to grab Charisma once that card releases, the chance of hitting some ally with cost over 2 to put into play is even better. Furthermore, while Agnes and Pete can already fight and are currently less likely to have multiple big allies to search for, the +2 damage with a combat value of 5 still seems like it could justify the card slot for either of them.

Am I missing anything?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

The best thing about fire extinguisher to me is that it's scavenge-food with a great extra feature if things go south. I'd rather bring a fire extinguisher than a lovely knife, that's for sure. It's an agi pip too, so it's not tied to fighting, and you can keep a nimble wendy on the move. I think it's pretty balanced and opens up some interesting, exciting playlines.

On the subject of TMM, gonna be weird being Daisy with two Necronomicons - one which gives her good effects, one which gives her bad effects. Is the John Dee translation written in Comic Sans?

Plavski fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Feb 8, 2017

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Anyone done full spoilers for Miskatonic Museum yet?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

How would you get the fire extinguisher in the discard pile to scavenge it back though? Just keep pitching it on agility checks? So far I'm finding that the least performed check.

And then if you are pitching it all the time it means you haven't equipped it when you do need it.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Really wished I had preordered Dunwich Legacy. I've been waiting for it to restock and it's still sold out everywhere

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
You should have had. It's got a bloody stealth mission!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
What happens if you attach Jenny's weakness to a location that is removed from the game later?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

What happens if you attach Jenny's weakness to a location that is removed from the game later?

It's discarded, same as if Zoey's weakness was attached to an enemy which gets discarded through means other than defeating that enemy (for example by Close Call or certain effects in The House Always Wins or Carnevale of Horrors).

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Really wished I had preordered Dunwich Legacy. I've been waiting for it to restock and it's still sold out everywhere

How badly do you want it? Fantasy Flight is my FLGS, and last I checked they still had a bunch of copies on the shelf. PM me and I can buy one and ship it to you.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, the thing that frustrates me most about this game is how it's constantly sold out all the time. Idk if it's new game hype or FFG was extra conservative with print runs or what.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Most likely conservative initial print. It is a co-op game after all, and 2 coresets handle 4 people.

Plus I'm sure the subsequent international shipping fiasco with Banjo going bankrupt haven't helped.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
If you don't mind ordering from outside the US there are generally tons of options available for out of stock stuff. A number of UK stores in particular have non-ridiculous US shipping, e.g. 365games.co.uk which has 6 GBP international shipping ($7.50 USD)

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, the thing that frustrates me most about this game is how it's constantly sold out all the time. Idk if it's new game hype or FFG was extra conservative with print runs or what.

The store I'm getting it from was saying around Christmas and January that AHLCG was their best selling game by far, so if FFG went with regular LCG launch expectations the shortage is understandable.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Orange Devil posted:

How would you get the fire extinguisher in the discard pile to scavenge it back though? Just keep pitching it on agility checks? So far I'm finding that the least performed check.

And then if you are pitching it all the time it means you haven't equipped it when you do need it.

You can pitch it by replacing it. You can get it out, chuck it for a fire axe and scavenge it back for committing or playing again.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Plavski posted:

You can pitch it by replacing it. You can get it out, chuck it for a fire axe and scavenge it back for committing or playing again.

But that does nothing. Less than nothing even. You have the spend the click to install the Fire Extinguisher, then you install the Fire Axe, trash the extinguisher, then get it back via scavenging when you could get back an item that you actually want and are pitching for pips. Like Rabbit Foot.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

You don't have to do it all on one turn, you can play a longer game. In a multiplayer scenario, you can often get swamped by enemies. Combined with Taunt, you can get the entire area looking at you, pop the extinguisher and get your whole group the hell out of dodge. But if that scenario doesn't arise, or you think you're able to handle it, you can replace it with something more immediately useful, use the extinguisher as an agi pip, or just keep it around for the extra fightiness and scavenge it up again if things are looking hairy. There is a lot of benefit to playing from your discard pile and knowing you have an Evade All right there for you after a successful investigate looks very solid.

We're also seeing a lot more hand assets that aren't fighty, and we'll get more. You won't have to scavenge weapons, you'll be able to bring out your flashlights, extinguishers and a whole host of other things. The ability to play pure scavenging support will be very useful going forward, and fire extinguisher plays into that. When poo poo goes south, having a fire extinguisher at the ready seems pretty useful and I know I would have loved having it in a some of the games I've played.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Pete is the only investigator who can run both Taunt and the Fire Extinguisher, and I don't really see why he'd want Taunt in his deck.

Also, if you're Scavenging the Fire Extinguisher that means you explicitly don't have it 'at the ready'. Playing it would cost an action and provoke opportunity attacks.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

He's the only investigator right now sure, but that won't always be the case. There is a lot of design space here, and while this card might not be essential now there are lines of play that it makes available. Its exile effect is strong and its ability to linger in your discard pile to be brought back with scavenging is useful. I'm not sure if you play Netrunner, but that game has taught me that not every card needs to be in every deck, and not every card needs to work flawlessly the very second it is released. Cards like Power Tap were roundly mocked for years in Netrunner until a Runner ID appeared that made it an auto-include. That happens a lot in Netrunner and I can very much see it happening here. Taunt + Fire Extinguisher + "Return all exhausted enemies at your location to encounter deck" card. I will not be surprised to see space like that open up in deck construction and combo plays taking on a stronger emphasis as we get further into the card pool. Scavenging opens up Shaper Bullshit for Arkham and that can't really be under-estimated.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

One thing I'm wondering about these one-shot exile cards is if it'll mean final scenarios of each campaign shall get extra difficulty jump, as everyone will invest in these powerfulshort-term solutions.

PS. I've played Curse of the Rougarou twice and feel so lucky to have drawn Peter Sylvestre within the first act each time.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

SUSD just did a gushing review of it, so it's about to get turbo sold out.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Obama 2012 posted:

How badly do you want it? Fantasy Flight is my FLGS, and last I checked they still had a bunch of copies on the shelf. PM me and I can buy one and ship it to you.

I'd be game for that. What do you need me to PM you?

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Today I realised that you can use Forbidden Knowledge in combination with Fire Axe to get multiple attacks with +1 damage without having to risk un-boosted attacks. Throw it on Agnes and you even get to ping for 1 extra damage as you do it.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Miskatonic Museum player card spoilers, y'all!

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Wow, almost all of these cards are amazing.
Is there an actual release date for Miskatonic Museum yet?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

bobvonunheil posted:

Wow, almost all of these cards are amazing.
Is there an actual release date for Miskatonic Museum yet?

Street date is Thursday, February 16th (so this week).

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

My friends and I finished our second runthru of Night of the Zealot and it literally came down to the final turn where we had to hope that Encounter Deck didn't bump up Doom counters and the Chaos Bag didn't screw us over. :drat:, that victory felt great.

I was playing Zoey and after killing monsters I was frantically going through my deck to find Lita as a backup plan, I would have drawn her on my last action before the Big Bad arrived so I couldn't get her out. Fortunately I was not at the ritual site so I think I could have gotten the alternate victory condition barring drawing a monster on our last turn.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014
So, I just learned this game existed. Having something Lovecrafty and cool to dick with solo in my free time sounds really appealing, and I might be able to talk my girlfriend into playing. I did have a couple questions/concerns I wanted to run by you goons before I ask my FLGS to order it for me.

Does solo play actually work, or are you going to end up forcing it to work, and the game ends up kinda janky and weird without two players? When playing solo, do you control two investigators, or just one?

How far does replayability realistically go? Is there enough variability of events in the core to get a good chunk of time out of it? Or, after one or two playthroughs, are the events predictable enough that you start to need expansions to keep the game challenging?

Lastly, I heard that two core sets are highly recommended, and some characters kinda suck unless you have the extra cards. Is this correct, or is that kind of exaggerating the necessity? Is the same true for the other little expansions, or the Dunwich box? Is it possible to just proxy a bit, or are there tiles, dials, or tokens that are necessary and would be difficult to proxy?

Beyond that, any advice for someone looking to maybe buy in to the game in the near future? Thanks!

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

thocan posted:

Does solo play actually work, or are you going to end up forcing it to work, and the game ends up kinda janky and weird without two players? When playing solo, do you control two investigators, or just one?
Works both ways just fine. Solo-solo feels a bit like Ghost Stories or something, where you're moving nimbly through the scenario trying not to get bogged down, at which point it's easy to be overwhelmed. With few investigators, it's more about powering through a barrage of dangers. I never bothered playing two-handed so far, but it really mostly depends on what sorts of decks you feel like playing.

quote:

How far does replayability realistically go? Is there enough variability of events in the core to get a good chunk of time out of it? Or, after one or two playthroughs, are the events predictable enough that you start to need expansions to keep the game challenging?
First time, you play to be surprised and die horribly. Then, you play it like a proper card game for the mechanics. Replayability is high, but it really comes from trying out different decks in different circumstances. Second core set might be a big deal in this regard, as it's basically necessary to open up fun deckbuilding. If you're some card game savant, each mission comes with four difficulty levels.

quote:

Lastly, I heard that two core sets are highly recommended, and some characters kinda suck unless you have the extra cards. Is this correct, or is that kind of exaggerating the necessity?
It is true, as has been for every LCG. Single core is basically a set of five pre-generated decks with sooome leeway to tweak them with playing solo. With second one, you get both enough cardboard to do proper deckbuilding to taste, and have far greater consistency in your decks - for example, the one character that truly sucks in a single core is the mage lady, who is at the mercy of the draw with just one offensive spell in her 33-card deck.

It's really much better with two (thankfully, between Dunwich and core set, enough of the spare encounter cards are used in multiple scenarios, so they feel like a convenience rather than complete waste).

quote:

Is the same true for the other little expansions, or the Dunwich box? Is it possible to just proxy a bit, or are there tiles, dials, or tokens that are necessary and would be difficult to proxy?
Everything past the core is 1x. It's just the cores that are packed to allow maximum possible scope to give a broad taste of the game. As for proxies - it's not like you're going to a tournament to be scolded by FFG police, are you?

quote:

Beyond that, any advice for someone looking to maybe buy in to the game in the near future? Thanks!

Unless you're really shy and undecided, go buy both cores from the get go, you'll thank me later. Personally, I'd recommend getting a binder for cards, but ymmv in terms of storage solutions.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Also, as it's an LCG, treat it like a more of a cardboard mmo subscription, rather than a game in a box.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Solo is certainly a different experience, but I've found it to work ok so far (though granted, most of my games have been 4 or 3 player). You can play actual solo, or if you prefer run 2 characters controlled by yourself I suppose.

I'd definitely recommend getting 2 cores (or proxying), as you're really going to want 2 of certain cards to make your character work consistently, which if anything is even more important when playing solo. Especially the mystics just end up not able to do anything if they can't draw their spells. Everything but the core you're only going to need 1 copy of.

After 1 or 2 times you're definitely going to know all the major events in each scenario, but you can still replay beyond that with different investigators or player numbers and get a different enough experience. This is helped by most scenarios having some randomization in the layout which means you won't 100% know what's happening every time. I'd say I've gotten maybe 7-8 plays out of the core set campaign, and I'm now pretty thoroughly done with it. The Dunwich campaign, I've only started once and so far I could easily see running through it another bunch of times.

If you're on the fence, check out a Team Covenant playthrough video or similar, see if it appeals to you, and if it does I'd recommend diving in with 2 core sets and buying expansions whenever you feel like a new scenario.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

There are also standalone side scenarios which you can slip in between your core campaign scenarios. While they are notoriously difficult, they give you a bunch of XP, so you can get bigger and better upgrades for returning to your main campaign. With stronger decks from a larger cardpool, this will allow late campaign scenarios to really shift around as you go in stronger due to upgrades. It's a double-edged knife though, as if you gently caress up in the side-scenarios, it can really hurt you back in the main campaign. Gives you some nice options though, and if you treat it like an RPG, it can be nice to see your character grow and adapt over time

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
e: extremely the wrong thread

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

All Miskatonic Museum cards got spoiled: http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/arkhamhorror/arkham-horror-the-card-game/_/the-dunwich-legacy-cycle/the-miskatonic-museum/. Note that this page also has scenario spoilers, blurred, but tempting.

The player cards we didn't know about are:

Pathfinder (fantastic movement increase for 1xp; gonna changeup a lot of scenarios)

Smoking Pipe (more Agnes buffs and nice to cover Roland's weaknesses)

Painkillers (nice to shore up low health investigators or to push fighters harder)

Emergency Aid (no xp, good for co-op. ability to heal allies is pretty nice)

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Holy poo poo, Pathfinder.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
If I was to investigate then play Double or Nothing and Deduction in the same skill check, do the effects of Deduction apply twice or only once?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

bobvonunheil posted:

If I was to investigate then play Double or Nothing and Deduction in the same skill check, do the effects of Deduction apply twice or only once?

From the FAQ:

quote:

Double or Nothing says you “resolve the effects of the successful test twice.” Whatever effects that would resolve based on the test being successful, those are resolved twice. That means anything that adds to the effects (like Vicious Blow or Deduction) or replaces the effects (like Burglary) will resolve twice. Effects that are responses to a successful test (like Scavenging, for example) won’t be resolved twice, though.